• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA Predictions - 2013

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
2012 is coming to a close... Time to look ahead to 2013. I'm going to list five things that I think will happen and give an explanation for each. With how unpredictable this sport is, and how often crazy stuff happens, with some of these, I'm taking the "Crazy Enough to possibly be true" approach.

Let's see how wrong we are by the end of the year.

1.) Junior Dos Santos FINALLY is given consideration as to being one of the best Pound for Pound fighters.

Despite being dominant since his UFC Debut (and it's not like he took out some random dude, he took out Fabricio Werdum, who at the time was a fight away from a title shot), JDS is rarely mentioned in the same breath as Silva, GSP, Jones, and Aldo. JDS has never remotely been in trouble, and he's taken out some of the very best Heavyweights (Werdum, Struve, Cro Cop, Gonzaga, Nelson, Carwin, Velasquez, and Mir). I predict that JDS tags Cain's weak chin again Saturday night, proving the first fight wasn't a fluke like so many are claiming. Then, he will remind us all that Overeem, when he is hit, crumbles. Then, he'll retire Dan Henderson (more on that in a minute!). He'll take out Werdum for a second time by the end of the year, and then, the only challenge standing in his way will be Daniel Cormier. JDS will make it all look easy though.

2.) Chael Sonnen defeats Jon Jones.

According to Mike Dolce, Chael is 240 lbs. and ripped. By the time the fight happens, Sonnen is going to be a monster and possibly the biggest opponent Jones has ever faced. All of Jones' opponents for one reason or another have been extremely tentative. Everyone reading this thread knows Sonnen is going to take the fight to Jones. At some point, Jones is going to wind up on his back, somewhere he's never been yet. We have no idea what he's like on his back, but according to Jones' old coach and Rashad Evans, he's extremely weak. People thought I was crazy two years ago when I predicted that Chael would dominate Anderson Silva the first time. I predict Jones/Sonnen is a carbon copy of the first Silva/Sonnen fight, except this time, Chael pulls it off. In the meantime, Dan Henderson moves up to Heavyweight after defeating Lyoto Machida for #1 Contendership, as he doesn't want to fight his friend. I will predict that a rematch between Sonnen and Jones takes place by the end of the year.

3.) Nick Diaz loses to GSP, retires.

Nick Diaz flakes out again after a decisive loss and retires, complete with him flipping off Dana White and GSP in the Octagon post-fight. Three months later he decides he wants to come out of retirement and fight for Bellator. An ugly legal battle between the UFC and Diaz, much like the Couture one from years ago, begins. I predict that GSP will fight three times next year, defeating: Diaz, Hendricks, and Jon Fitch a second time. One of these will be a stoppage. By the end of the year, he'll be proclaimed as the greatest fighter, pound for pound, because...

4.) Anderson Silva loses for the first time in his UFC career, to Chris Weidman.

First off, Silva will destroy Michael Bisping, after he earns his shot by defeating Vitor Belfort. It will be hilariously one sided. Silva will arrogantly proclaim how he made it look easy again, wants a tough challenge, etc. In the meantime, Weidman will defeat Hector Lombard, which earns him a title shot in Brazil. As Silva keeps ducking Weidman, he states he'll take the fight, but only if it's in Brazil. Weidman will employ his wrestling and submit Silva.

5.) Bellator on Spike TV is a Bust

As having no established stars kills their hopes of gaining popularity. The glimmer of hope they have with signing Rampage fades as he retires after getting savagely destroyed by Glover Teixiera. Meanwhile, the World Series of Fighting gets picked up by Showtime and they will struggle to find an audience as well.

Other predictions:
  • Ronda Rousey goes undefeated in 2013, including a win over Cyborg. However, a sex scandal with Dana White emerges.
  • Gilbert Melendez loses his UFC Debut. So does Luke Rockhold.
  • Ben Henderson has another successful defense against Donald Cerrone
  • Michael McDonald defeats Renan Barao and becomes the youngest UFC Champion. Nobody will care.
  • Dennis Siver earns a Featherweight Title shot against Jose Aldo (who defeats Edgar via KO)
  • The following fighters retire: Rich Franklin, Rampage Jackson, Forrest Griffin, BJ Penn, Wanderlei Silva, BOTH Nogueiras, and Dan Henderson
  • In an attempt to gain viewers, Bellator picks up Dave Bautista.

Benson Henderson defeats Gray Maynard, Anthony Pettis, & Gilbert Melendez adding them to the likes of Diaz, Edgar, Guida, Miller, Cerrone, Varner, & Bocek, cementing himself as the greatest LW of all time.

1.) Chael Sonnen becomes Light Heavyweight Champion.

People may say he has no chance but these are the same people who said he had no chance against Anderson Silva. Going into this fight Chael has nothing to lose. If he loses people will say they saw it coming, if he wins then Chael Sonnen will have a career defining moment. It's not going to be easy for the man from the mean streets of West Linn but I think he can pull off the unthinkable. Chael Sonnen will take Jon Jones down just like he took Silva down. He's not going to throw any stupid spinning punches and he's not going to get caught in the triangle. Jones has said multiple times that he has never been taken down, I think that is going to come to an end just like his title reign when he steps into the cage with Chael Sonnen.

2.) Wanderlei Silva will lose to Brian Stann and then retire.

They face off early next year and I'm positive that Stann is going to defeat Silva in a pretty one sided fight. Silva loses by TKO and then hangs up the gloves.

3.) Ronda Rousey remains undefeated.

She's going to retire against Liz in her first fight for the UFC and then take on Cyborg. She'll beat her and then have a rematch with Tate in what will be a pretty big fight. Just like she has in the past Ronda will win all of her fights by armbar submission and she will continue to remain as the best female fighter in the world.

4.) Overeem will fight JDS and be defeated.

You can't look past JDS and his big heavy hands. The guy is a monster and someone I love to watch fight. He beats Cain this weekend and then will wait to see Overeem win his fight. They'll go at it but it will end with a second round KO from JDS. A big right hand or something along those lines.

5.) Nick Diaz beats GSP and becomes Welterweight Champion.

I believe in Nick Diaz. He's a little crazy and you can never count out crazy guys in a fist fight. I'm sure GSP will take him down and drop some bombs but I think Diaz is winning a decision against GSP. So pumped for this fight though.

1. Nick Diaz beats GSP, Hendricks, and Rory MacDonald to have the most impressive 3 fight win streak of all time.

And by the time Diaz beats MacDonald, GSP will have worked his way back up to another title shot, defeat Nick, and then Nick will retire. :D

2. Gilbert Melendez wins the UFC Lightweight Championship.

I think Gil is the only Lightweight who can beat Benson Henderson right now. He's the only guy in the division who can match-up with him in every area, including wrestling, cardio, and strength. They will fight, it will be a war, and Gil will edge out a victory, most likely leading to a rematch by the end of the year after the winner beats Anthony Pettis, who smashes Donald Cerrone.

3. Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo will go just like Edgar/ BJ 1, Edgar/Maynard 1 and Edgar/Bendo 1.

Meaning that their fight will be extremely close and the fans/media won't be happy with the decision no matter what, leading to yet another immediate Frankie Edgar rematch.

4. The Heavyweight Title will go back to being a hot potato.

I think Cain beats JDS tonight, Overeem beats Cain, JDS then beats Overeem, and then Daniel Cormier beats JDS (this is after a failed attempt to move to Light Heavyweight by Cormier). That title is simply not meant to be held for one person for too long. The only reason JDS has been able to keep it for an entire year is because he only had one fight and it was against Frank Mir.

5. Dan Henderson loses two straight and retires.

I think Machida decisively beats Hendo, Hendo gets another big fight and loses that one as well, putting himself in a position where he has to give it up. The guy has been on this luck/fluke streak for far too long, and 2013 is the year where it finally comes to an end.

Other predictions:
  • 2013 won't have anywhere near the same amount of injuries and canceled fights as 2012.
  • Jon Jones remains Light Heavyweight Champion by the end of 2013, and will announce his move up to Heavyweight before the year ends.
  • Ronda Rousey goes undefeated in 2013, including a win over Cyborg.
  • Bellator has the same amount of success on Spike Tv as they had on MTV 2.
  • Fedor returns, knocks out a couple of cans, still doesn't get UFC contract.
  • Josh Thomson goes undefeated in the year 2013 in the UFC.
  • Anderson Silva is still Middleweight Champion by 2014.
  • Nate Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez is the Fight of the Year.

1. Anderson Silva fights Bisping, destroys him, then fights GSP and destroys him as well, then sets up a fight with Jon Jones in 2014

This is probably my most believable prediction. I read somewhere today, and take it as you wish, that Anderson is looking for an extension on his contract for fights with Jones and GSP. I firmly believe Anderson has a plan in his head. He'll fight Bisping while GSP fights Diaz, then as both win their respective fights, the superfight will be set up and end with Anderson finishing GSP within two rounds. At that point, he'll call out Jon Jones who will dispatch Chael Sonnen with ease, and finish Gustaffson in late 2013. The fight will be set up for March of 2014.

2. Jose Aldo KO's Edgar, moves up to Lightweight, beats a contender and has a fight with Benson scheduled for early 2014

Let's face it, Aldo is the most dangerous fighter at any weight in MMA. Nobody can cause the type of destruction that Aldo can in the Octagon. JDS has KO power, Jon Jones has hellbows, but Aldo can ruin peoples lives in the cage. His career is being wasted away at Featherweight, and once he beats Frankie, there is nothing left for him there. He is already having trouble with the cut to 145, and has stated that he has his eyes set on 155. Once he beats Frankie, he'll move up and beat somebody, probably Gray Maynard, and have a fight scheduled with Benson for early 2014.

3. Daniel Cormier will hold the UFC HW title at years end.

I think JDS beats Cain tonight, but loses to Overeem somewhere around March. Then, Overeem will have a fight with DC scheduled somewhere around October with DC winning and holding the title until the start of 2014.

4. Jon Jones schedules a fight with Anderson after beating Gustaffson at years end

Simple; Jones beats Sonnen, fights Gustaffson in September or October, finishes him, then schedules a fight with Anderson in 2014.

5. Bellator goes under

The organization has gotten by on shoddy management for far to long. Their "champions" fight non title fights far more often than actual title fights, their "champions" often lose those non title fights, yet are still referred to as "champions", and they haven't developed their fighters correctly in any sense. They have high caliber fighters, that cannot be debated, but once Alvarez leaves, who is their biggest name? Chandler will likely be the face of the company, but nobody outside of hardcore fans knows who the fuck he is. It's sad because he's young, good looking, and exciting as fuck, but because Bellator doesn't develop their champions, and because the champions only fight once a year, often in non title fights, they can't count on him to be a draw. I have no idea who their Heavyweight champion is, I have no idea who their Light Heavyweight champion is, and their top stars fight in Dream more often than Bellator. It's just a fucked up system that cannot last as it is, so I think it goes under and rather quickly at that.

Other Predictions:
UFC flourishes on FOX and soars in popularity.
Rousey becomes a mega star with a win over Cyborg
Overeem gets popped for steroids after losing the title to DC
Chris Weidman loses his next fight
Bellator goes under
Gilbert Melendez doesn't have a fight until late 2013
Mike Goldberg retires
Bellator goes under

Did I mention how much I hate Bellator? Because I hate it so much.

Edit: While Far Cry 3 installs, i'd like to clear something up, and I don't feel like deleting the entire paragraph regarding Silva's 2013 to do it. Dana confirmed Silva is extremely close to signing a three year contract extension. The fights he wants? Bisping, GSP, Jones. I only saw a thread about it on the Underground when I typed the paragraph. That was before Dana confirmed anything. Now it seems my prediction is coming to fruition already :)

I'll have a go.

1) Nick loses to GSP, gets a fight against Fitch(or another wrestler), loses again and retires.

No disrespect to Nick. P4P one of the toughest guys in MMA, but he has had issues with wrestlers with good top control. Add that to GSP and Fitch both having some solid submission defense and Nick is in trouble. He will give a speech through Ceaser Gracie about how no one wants to actually fight him and retire.

2) Anderson Silva beats Bisping and Jones beats Sonnen, leading to a Silva/Bones superfight in late 2013. Silva will pull out with an injury, Gustafson will step in to fight for the LHW title, and will KO Jones.

Do I really think this one happens, probably not. I do think that Gus has the raw power to blast Jones and really hurt him. I want to see Gus/Jones.

3) JDS breaks the record for most consecutive HW title defenses.

No HW has ever had three straight title defenses. Brock and Randy each had back to back, but no one has three. I think JDS beats Cain tonight to tie that, and then KOs Overeem in mid 2013 to break the record.

4) Forrest Griffin will retire quietly.

You guys know I love Forrest. I hate to see him go but I honestly feel like his heart isn't in MMA anymore. He cemented his place in the sports history and deserves mention as one of the greats, but since he dropped the LHW title he hasn't been the same. After his recent knee surgery he is out for an undisclosed period of time, and with a child I think he will retire without a final fight.

5) Late in 2013 Rampage will announce he has signed a contract with Bellator, and will have a fight with King Mo for the vacant LHW, because their current champ hasn't had a fight in over a year and it was a loss...yet he is still champ. Bellator will hype it up to mega fight levels, and it will flop, with the fight mostly consisting of a gassed Rampage being taken down by a gassed Mo.

I think that one is pretty self explanatory.

Turns out my crystal ball was incredibly Hazy.

Replace prediction #1 with this.

Junior Dos Santos Finishes The Year as Heavyweight Champion

Cormier is going to attempt a cut to 205 in the wake of Cain winning and will fail. He finishes out 2013 with a win over Frank Mir. Alistair Overeem has his way with Bigfoot Silva and goes on to fight Cain and loses. That being said, Overeem will rock Cain big time on multiple occasions, bringing up questions about his chin again. Meanwhile, JDS destroys Struve again in a rematch after he submits Mark Hunt in the most exciting one round fight since Diaz/Daley. The UFC will want to jump on making Velasquez/Dos Santos III and they make it the main event of the first card in history in Mexico. JDS wins in the first round and will take on Werdum, with that fight most likely headlining 2014's Super Bowl card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back