MMA News and Tidbits

I have always found Jorge Gurgel to be an asshole but my personal feelings aside it would be nice to see him back in the cage and fighting seeing as he has been away for around a year or so. The guy has some awesome skills, if he only knew how to use them, and always puts on an entertaining fight. I am all for seeing him fight Noons since it will give Noons a nice challenge, if Gurgel is smart and uses his jiu jitsu. If Gurgel tries to stand he will get devoured by KJ. Either way I am interested in seeing that fight.

I can't stand Gurgel. I hope Noons smashes him. Noons better not have another performance like the one he had against Heun or he's going to be in trouble.

Haha... what do you guys have against Jorge Gurgel? I thought he seemed like a good enough guy on the 2nd season of the Ultimate Fighter. Plus, he's associated with Rich Franklin, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, Jorge is tremendous at Jiu-Jitsu, but he gets boxing happy in his fights, and if that happens against Noons... then he's going to get knocked out, for sure. However, if Gurgel uses his brain and takes the fight to the ground, then he most certainly stands a chance at tapping someone like Noons out, who by all accounts doesn't have any credibility in Jiu-Jitsu. But, I still expect Noons to win this one. Either Gurgel will be dumb enough to stand and trade, or he just won't be able to secure the takedown (Noons does have good takedown defense).

Haha... what do you guys have against Jorge Gurgel? I thought he seemed like a good enough guy on the 2nd season of the Ultimate Fighter. Plus, he's associated with Rich Franklin, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Do you want the long answer or the short answer? I've give the medium and go into more depth if necessary. The guy is a complete fuckbag to start with. His comments about Hominick running from him pretty much saw Hominick out of the UFC, even though the only running that was done was by Gurgel. Hominick is a solid 145 lb fighter who took a fight as an undersized lightweight, won, and got cut because Gurgel is a whiny bitch. Who's the relevant fighter now, Gurgel? Nobody other than Rich Franklin's buddy would continue to see work in the UFC with a record of 3-4 AND abandoning their bread and butter style of fighting, but this guy keeps getting work?

Secondly, let's look at his wins in the UFC. His only wins have come against 3 opponents with a combined record of 0-7 in the octagon. Shit, he couldn't even finish Danny Abbadi.

Gurgel has never evolved as a fighter, IMO, he's regressed. The list goes on, but you see the general idea.

Light heavyweight prospects Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ryan Bader have verbally agreed to face off at the yet-to-be-announced UFC 119 on Sept. 25 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind., Sherdog.com has learned.

MMAWeekly.com was the first to report the co-headlining attraction on Thursday.

Rogerio, the twin brother of UFC heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, earned a split decision victory over late replacement Jason Brilz at UFC 114 last May in Las Vegas. The 33-year-old Pride Fighting Championships veteran made an impressive Octagon debut at UFC 106 last November in Las Vegas, boxing out a first-round stoppage against Luis Arthur Cane.

The undefeated Bader scored a third-round knockout against Keith Jardine at UFC 110 last February in Sydney, Australia. Bader, who turned 27 in June, won “The Ultimate Fighter 8” in December 2008 and has reeled off three Octagon wins since then.

UFC 119 is tentatively slated to include a heavyweight bout between Joey Beltran and “The Ultimate Fighter 10” veteran Matt Mitrione, and a lightweight bout between Jeremy Stephens and Melvin Guillard

Well I think this is a perfect fight for Bader to really solidify himself as the next big thing. Lil Nog is absolutely no joke, and a win for Bader will really shoot him up the rankings. Should be a hell of a fight if Lil Nog shows up at 100% like he did in his first UFC performance.

Also confirmed for 119 is Frank Mir vs Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira. This card is really turning out to be an exciting card with some very exciting fights on it. I really hope Nogueira comes out with a win there. I really don't like Mir, and I think Big Nog just wants a win to retire on now, and I hope he gets it here.

Well I think this is a perfect fight for Bader to really solidify himself as the next big thing. Lil Nog is absolutely no joke, and a win for Bader will really shoot him up the rankings. Should be a hell of a fight if Lil Nog shows up at 100% like he did in his first UFC performance.

Also confirmed for 119 is Frank Mir vs Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira. This card is really turning out to be an exciting card with some very exciting fights on it. I really hope Nogueira comes out with a win there. I really don't like Mir, and I think Big Nog just wants a win to retire on now, and I hope he gets it here.

And in the stupidest fight they've ever added to the UFC, Mark Hunt, who's coming off 5 losses in a row, will be fighting Sean McCorkle at UFC 119 multiple sources report. No, this is not a joke. I fucking wish it was.

Look at who those five fights were against though, man. All great fighters. Hunt should have no problem with the lower-class fighters in the UFC. Dude's a very, very talented striker, and if he can get his shit together and start training like he needs to... there's no doubt in my mind he can do well in the UFC.

As far as Lil' Nog vs. Bader... if Bader fights smart, he'll win, but I don't think he will. He'll end up getting caught in this fight; I guarantee. Why am I so sure? Do you know who is the best fighter in Bader's camp is? Ryan Bader, that's who. And there's nobody else in the camp besides wrestlers. How can Bader improve to the point where he can beat a top caliber fighter like Lil' Nog? It's damn near impossible with that kind of camp.

So, yeah... I see Bader's streak coming to an end. Does he have the tools to beat Lil' Nog? Sure, but I just do not believe with his kind of training, inexperience, and Jiu-Jitsu ignorance that he can go three rounds with someone like Lil' Nog and not get caught.

Damn, they must've really needed another fight if the best guy they can put up for a prelim fight has lost 5 straight. I'm beginning to think there's too many MMA events. Maybe a Pay Per View every other month, Fight Night in between?

And this just in, Dana White says "Fuck no" because we still buy the PPV's every month.. damn you Mark Hunt.

Have you even seen his last five opponents? Seriously he lost to Gegard Mousasi, Melvin Manhoef, Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko, and Josh Barnett. Seriously anybody who has watched MMA for more than 5 years knows who every one of these fighters are, and they are some of the best in the world. Absolutely no shame in losing to them. Hunt also has beaten Wanderlei Silva, and Mirko Cro Cop, and has a very impressive kickboxing record. I'd say this guy is legit enough to fight on a prelim.

Look at who those five fights were against though, man. All great fighters. Hunt should have no problem with the lower-class fighters in the UFC. Dude's a very, very talented striker, and if he can get his shit together and start training like he needs to... there's no doubt in my mind he can do well in the UFC.

How long were you planning on giving Mark Hunt to "improve his game?" He's had four years. Usually people make SOME improvement in 4 years. Hunt has never tried to improve his ground game, he solely concentrates on his striking abilities. Every loss he's had on his resume with the exception of Manhoef has come via submission. All his wins have come by way of strikes or decisions. Hunt is 36, if he hasn't adapted his game by now, he never will. McCorkle competes actively in submission grappling competitions and has shown his striking ability, don't be shocked if his camp takes one look at Hunt's record and decides the ground is the place to be. That would be the first thing I would do if I were his trainer.

Hell yea I am down for a motherfucking Mark Hunt fight. Look I know he has lost 5 straight, but I could care less about that. The first thing that pops out on his record is competition. Even though he lost 5 time he has lost 5 times to some game opponents. Also, I thought Mark Hunt was towards the 300 lb. line. He is gonna have tons of weight to cut. I'm thinking that since he is gonna have so much weight to cut, that his performance could go either way. On one hand he might be keeping himself in shape, so its no problem to make 265. He could come in and look very good, and and healthy Hunt is a dangerous man, even minus the non existent Jiu-Jitsu game. On the other hand, he could come in out of shape, not cutting the weight right, and blow up before the fight. In that scenario I see Hunt getting gassed and most likely choked out. Either way, I am thrilled to see Hunt make his USA debut.

Very excited to see Nog-Mir II. Of course being the Nog fan that I am, I am hoping for a Nog victory more then words can explain. If my favorite fighter gets beat by my least favorite fighter twice, thats gonna be a real slap in the mouth, seeing how it is IMO that in his prime, Nog would have wiped the floor with Mir in any form. Pre crash Mir, Uber-Mir, whatever. I still have faith though. In the dream card thread we had way back, I even put this as a dream fight. Very, very excited for this one.

Lil Nog squaring off with Bader is interesting too. Ryan Bader is a beast, has some KO power, good cardio, great wrestling, I think all those things together make him a very large threat for Nog. I am pulling for Lil Nog of course, but I won't be disappointed if Bader take this. I am a fan of sorts of him too. This one I think really is too close to call.

If Lil Nog struggled with Jason Brilz, Ryan Bader is going to have a field day with him. Bader is going to pound Lil' Nog's face in, and it should be a lot of fun to watch. This is going to be Bader's true coming out party, and he's going to prove he's absolutely the real deal.

As far as Big Nog vs. Frank Mir II goes... I really just don't see any way that Big Nog wins here. Mir is motivated to get another crack at Brock Lesnar, and I honestly don't think Big Nog has anything left. Goldberg and Rogan like to joke around about him being a Cadillac with over 250,000 miles on it... well, this might be it for him. I just don't want to see Big Nog get the everloving shit beaten out of him by Mir again, but that is what is going to happen. I would have loved to have seen a Cro Cop rematch instead. That would have been a much more compelling, and exciting matchup.

The only doubt I have about the Mark Hunt signing is whether or not he can make 265. Sure, his record is shit, but if you look at the guys he has fought... those probably would have been wins if he fought cans. There was a story coming out last night about the UFC trying to get more of a presence in Australia. There's that, and according to Dana's Twitter, he was still owed fights from his PRIDE deal. Besides, he almost submitted Fedor... he is by no means a horrendous fighter. Also, just about anyone who eats a Manhoef shot like he gave Hunt is going down.

It really is a no-lose situation for the UFC. He's a name. He can either do well on unaired prelims and parlay that into a new deal, or he could be a gatekeeper for any new guys they bring in to see if they can hack it (case in point, this McCorkle fight). Him being in the UFC also brings in interest from K-1 and PRIDE fans.

Finally, Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama is on tap to be the main event of UFC 120. Can't wait for Akiyama to redeem himself against Bisping and knock him out in front of his home crowd. Akiyama cannot let it go to the judges. We all remember the Matt Hamill incident.

Man, while these are great fights, UFC 119 and UFC 120 should both be free shows if those are the main events.

Seriously, UFC 119 you have Frank Mir, coming off a 1st round knockout loss, vs. Big Nog, who also is coming off a 1st round knockout loss. And for the "co-main event" you have a TUF winner vs. Lil' Nog, who could barely beat a no-name in his last fight. How is that worth $50?

And UFC 120.. well, since it's in London I have hope it will air for free (as a few London cards have in the past), but if not... this is another card nowhere near worth $50. Sexyama vs. Bisping should be a great fight, no doubt, and so should Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit by all means, but those are not main event worthy fights if you ask me.

So, yeah... these are some good fights, but this is just the UFC starting to have the WWE problem of having too many pay-per-views a year if you ask me.

I am not opposed to seeing Mark Hunt fight on a prelim. I don't exactly find the signing needed by the UFC, but then again Gilbert Yvel wasn't either. I don't think Hunt will hurt the UFC at all. If he wins, then he gets another fight, if he loses then he gets cut. No harm, no foul. Also, it doesn't hurt seeing as his last couple loses and fights have been against top competition. So basically I say, go for it UFC. :thumbsup:

Rumor has it that Dana owed him a contract, and Dana kept his word. I haven't read the article, just saw the name of it, and all of Sherdog is saying it. I could care less i'm just excited to see his fights.

Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez is signed for UFC 121. The co-main event is expected to feature Vitor Belfort getting his guaranteed Middleweight Title shot against either Anderson Silva or Chael Sonnen.

I daresay that so far, this is already looking like a potential card of the year, and is going to sell a LOT of PPVs. Lesnar is a major, major draw, as UFC 116 by itself is expected to do over one million buys, and that was just based on having Lesnar vs. Carwin by itself with no real other big names. UFC 121 as of right now is on tap to have two main events, and title fights on one card. And unlike UFC 112, where the title fights didn't look too promising on paper, these fights are going to be extremely marketable.

There's also a rumor that Rampage vs. Machida will happen on this card, but there's no way the UFC loads three big fights on one card.

Also, Big John McCarthy will return at UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko.

I still don't know why John McCarthy stopped reffing UFC fights in the first place. I mean, I know he announced his "retirement" for the Clay/Huetra fight, but then he returned for Fedor vs. Sylvia, and since then has fought numerous shows, including ShoFights, which is almost as low as it gets, lol. So, why no UFC? Very strange.

Anyways, Lesnar should destroy Cain Velasquez; however, it's being said now that Belfort vs. MW Champion will happen at UFC 122, not UFC 121. I think that's good though because that leaves UFC 121 open for Rampage vs. Machida if that does indeed go down, and Lesnar + Rampage on the same card, I guarantee, will break UFC 100's record for most pay-per-view buys for the UFC.

I still don't know why John McCarthy stopped reffing UFC fights in the first place. I mean, I know he announced his "retirement" for the Clay/Huetra fight, but then he returned for Fedor vs. Sylvia, and since then has fought numerous shows, including ShoFights, which is almost as low as it gets, lol. So, why no UFC? Very strange.

Anyways, Lesnar should destroy Cain Velasquez; however, it's being said now that Belfort vs. MW Champion will happen at UFC 122, not UFC 121. I think that's good though because that leaves UFC 121 open for Rampage vs. Machida if that does indeed go down, and Lesnar + Rampage on the same card, I guarantee, will break UFC 100's record for most pay-per-view buys for the UFC.

I have wondered the same thing. I almost wonder if he and the UFC had a falling out of some sort. It would make sense to an extent. I think Dana was probably a little upset when Big John showed up for the Affliction shows, so I wouldn't put it past Dana blacklisting Big John up until now. Whatever the reason, I will be very happy to see the greatest MMA referee of all time finally return home to the UFC.

I have wondered the same thing. I almost wonder if he and the UFC had a falling out of some sort. It would make sense to an extent. I think Dana was probably a little upset when Big John showed up for the Affliction shows, so I wouldn't put it past Dana blacklisting Big John up until now. Whatever the reason, I will be very happy to see the greatest MMA referee of all time finally return home to the UFC.

Well see... that's the thing, no matter how mad the UFC has been with Big John... they don't choose who refs what shows. While the UFC can fuck with sponsorships and pretty much everything else, the two things they cannot touch are referees and judges. That's all up to the State Athletic Commission... not the UFC.

So, yeah... that's why it's so strange to me, and the fact that there haven't been more discussions about why Big John hasn't reffed for the UFC makes it even weirder. I mean, internet MMA fans love UFC bashing at the end of the day... so it's peculiar the question about Big John has never been raised before (at least that I saw of), since obviously it's HIS choice not to referee UFC shows.

World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Manny Gamburyan have agreed to meet at the not-yet-announced WEC 51 on Sept. 30 at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colo.

MMAWeekly.com was the first to announce the headlining bout on Monday, while Sherdog.com has independently confirmed it through sources with knowledge of the event.

With a diverse striking arsenal and speed at his disposal, Aldo, 23, catapulted onto pound-for-pound lists with a string of decisive technical knockout victories in 2009. In June 2009, the Nova Uniao student took out established featherweight Cub Swanson with a brutal eight-second knee at WEC 41 in Sacramento, Calif. Aldo earned the promotion’s 145-pound title with a decisive second-round TKO over American Top Team’s Mike Thomas Brown at WEC 44 that November. He defended the crown against former champion Urijah Faber at WEC 48 last April in Sacramento, Calif., battering the hometown favorite with leg kicks for five round.

Aldo has rattled off 10 straight victories -- seven of them in the WEC cage -- since 2006.

“Ultimate Fighter 5” runner-up Gamburyan has made the most of his drop down to the featherweight division in mid 2009, notching three straight wins for the promotion against John Franchi, Leonard Garcia, and former champion Mike Thomas Brown at WEC 48 in April. The 29-year-old Armenian fighter’s first-round knockout of Brown earned him a shot at Aldo’s title.

WEC 51 will air live on Versus.

Great news. Aldo is one of my very favorite fighters, and I am very excited to watch him fight. The best part is that it will air live on Versus which is great. As for the fight I see Aldo winning. I've never been impressed by Manny, and I see no reason Aldo shouldn't destroy him this fight. Manny's only impressive win was against Mike Brown.

Yeah, it should be a good fight. We all know how much of a mark I've been for Jose Aldo. Manny's a damn good fighter at 145, and his brutal KO of Mike Brown has finally washed away my memories of him getting knocked the fuck out by Rob Emerson in 8 seconds, in a fight where Emerson was a +500 underdog.

That being said, as good as Manny is, Aldo is on another planet, and he is certainly a Top 3 pound for pound fighter. Aldo is so good that he leg kicked Urijah Faber down to 135 lbs. Faber just suffered a setback too that is going to prolong his Bantamweight debut. Aldo may have derailed Faber's career with the performance he put up against him.

Also, Moosin better not die between now and October, dammit!

After a successful U.S. debut earlier in the year, the Moosin promotion is scheduling an Oct. 9 follow-up, which will take place in Chicago, MMA Fighting has learned.

Moosin executive Corey Fischer has confirmed the organization's intention for a second show, and said the current plans include bringing back previous headliners Tim Sylvia and Mariusz Pudzianowski, in separate fights.

If Moosin gets their way, they'll come to the Second City with Sylvia fighting 7-foot-2 Korean Hong Man Choi, and five-time "World's Strongest Man" Pudzianowski taking on popular former EliteXC and UFC star Kimbo Slice in feature bouts.

"I would say the Kimbo-Pudzian fight is the furthest from being finished, but we're trying to work on it and make it happen," Fischer said.

The first Moosin show was actually fun, including the Sylvia-Pudzian fight, just because Tim Sylvia is terrible and it would have warmed my heart to see Sylvia lose to him. There is no possible way that Sylvia vs. Hong Man Choi would not be funny, and again, there is a part of me that is really pulling for Hong Man Choi in that fight.

As far as Kimbo vs. Pudzian goes, my god would that be a tremendous freakshow fight. Sure, it's not going to be anything close to a technical affair, but I wouldn't be able to turn away. I don't think Kimbo would take the fight though. It's common knowledge that his knees are really screwed up at this point, and Pudzian likes to utilize leg kicks.

The answer to this is simple. Nevada refused McCarthy a reffing license for some reason. I never found out why.

If I remember the details correctly, I think it had to do with Big John forgetting to renew his license in Nevada. He wanted to renew it, but he has some sort of major issue with Keith Kizer, who is the head of the athletic commission in Nevada. He wanted to reapply, but Kizer and McCarthy have issues, and he won't allow him to renew his license.

I think in the fight against Manny Gamburyan, that Jose Aldo will prove that Pound 4 Pound he is the best fighter in the World.

Why so much credit?

Well, all we've seen from Jose Aldo is his incredible Muay Thai. The thing is, Manny will not be dumb enough to stand with Aldo. Instead, he'll bait him in and then take him down (Manny has amazing Judo). The thing is, supposedly, Aldo is one of the most decorated Jiu-Jitsu fighters in the entire sport. He's a legit black belt and has won several tournaments; however, we have yet to see his ability on the ground, because he hasn't been put in a position where he needed to use his Jiu-Jitsu. Against Manny though, there is no doubt in my mind that the fight will make its way to the ground, and if Aldo can tap Manny out, then there should be no doubt in anyone's mind... pound 4 pound, Aldo is the best out there.

GSP has mastered wrestling, while Anderson Silva has mastered Boxing... Jose Aldo has mastered BOTH Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu, which, in my opinion, puts him ahead of the rest (which is why Fedor and BJ, talent-wise, always had an advantage over GSP and Anderson in my mind, since they mastered more than just one aspect of the sport, but with their recent losses... it's hard to put them in front of someone like Aldo, assuming Aldo does win on the 30th of September).

I agree with you JMT that he will prove he is the best P4P in the world. His striking is so diverse, and it's obvious with his accomplishments in BJJ that he is clearly one of the very best practitioners in the world. What's really scary though when talking about how good he is would be that he is only 23 years old. That's just plain scary when you think about it. Everybody boasts how good Jon Jones will be because he is on such a tear at such a young age well Aldo has dismantled two of the divisions greatest ever in Faber, and Brown. It will be great to see how his career ends up.

I think in the fight against Manny Gamburyan, that Jose Aldo will prove that Pound 4 Pound he is the best fighter in the World.

Why so much credit?

Well, all we've seen from Jose Aldo is his incredible Muay Thai. The thing is, Manny will not be dumb enough to stand with Aldo. Instead, he'll bait him in and then take him down (Manny has amazing Judo). The thing is, supposedly, Aldo is one of the most decorated Jiu-Jitsu fighters in the entire sport. He's a legit black belt and has won several tournaments; however, we have yet to see his ability on the ground, because he hasn't been put in a position where he needed to use his Jiu-Jitsu. Against Manny though, there is no doubt in my mind that the fight will make its way to the ground, and if Aldo can tap Manny out, then there should be no doubt in anyone's mind... pound 4 pound, Aldo is the best out there.

GSP has mastered wrestling, while Anderson Silva has mastered Boxing... Jose Aldo has mastered BOTH Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu, which, in my opinion, puts him ahead of the rest (which is why Fedor and BJ, talent-wise, always had an advantage over GSP and Anderson in my mind, since they mastered more than just one aspect of the sport, but with their recent losses... it's hard to put them in front of someone like Aldo, assuming Aldo does win on the 30th of September).

I gotta disagree with you, here, brother. Anderson's Chute Boxe Muay Thai is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than Aldo's. Nova União has some good up-and-coming fighters such as Marlon Sandro, Jose Aldo, B.J. Penn, etc...but Chute Boxe and Black House have the best in the world. Anderson trains/ed striking with Wanderlei, Shogun, Ninja, Machida, Thiago Silva, Lil Nog, Junior Dos Santos, and, wait for it, wait for it, JOSE ALDO. Anderson has been striking much longer, been grappling much longer, his arsenal of black belts is greater, he's also got a yellow rope in Capoeira. Anderson, Nog's, and Machida adopted Jose Aldo...they teach him, I honestly believe that Aldo looks so good because the Featherweight division isn't what it used to be. Aldo needs to move up to LW and test himself there. Aldo is damn good and P4P top three for me, but he's AT three, no higher.

GSP, again, has too much of an arsenal for Jose Aldo to compete with. He's a very cerebral fighter who makes people that should have a greater skill-set than him, look awful. He embarrassed Fitch and Koscheck by out-wrestling them. He used his striking against Alves to set up his take-downs. The skill-set of GSP is absolutely incredible. Let us not forget that GSP is part of the best camp in all of MMA. Greg Jackson has some of the best gameplanning in all of MMA. GSP listens very well and brings his amazing skill-set with him in that game plan. GSP already embarrassed a much better BJJ black belt on the ground than Aldo, it's not a stretch that he could embarrass Aldo. Also, GSP has done REALLY well against strikers, he does just enough to take them down and work them for an entire fight.

First off, let me say, I believe this event deserves its own thread, but every time I make a post like this it gets moved in here, so I put it in here to begin with. Mods, please move this to its own thread. There's WAY too many good fights on this card to call it "news and tidbits."

The long-awaited rematch between World Extreme Cagefighting rivals Jamie Varner and Donald Cerrone is set for WEC 51 on September 30, a major fight card that will demonstrate the WEC's ability to put on big events even as its top star, Urijah Faber, nurses a leg injury.

Varner announced the Cerrone rematch on his web site, and the addition of that fight not only makes WEC 51 one of the best fight cards of the rest of the year in MMA, it also provides some hints about where the WEC is headed for the rest of the year, and what a future WEC pay-per-view card might look like.

Here's how the five-fight WEC 51 card on Versus is shaping up:

Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
George Roop vs. Chan Sung Jung
Mark Hominick vs. Leonard Garcia
Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/21/jamie-varner-vs-donald-cerrone-rounds-out-a-big-wec-51-card/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back