MMA News and Tidbits

9 fights are confirmed for UFC 121 on October 23rd, and holy shit if there are no injuries this on paper has the potential to be the best card of the year.

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez
Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann
Paulo Thiago vs. Diego Sanchez
Tito Ortiz vs. Matt Hamill
Brendan Schaub vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen
Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor
Michael Guymon vs. Daniel Roberts
Sam Stout vs. Paul Taylor

Obviously you have Lesnar on this card which is GUARANTEES big buys. You also have Jake Shields UFC debut, and Tito Ortiz on the card who is another big draw. Every fight on this card has potential to be big and exciting. Plus it's on my birthday so it's even better.

UFC 121 is shaping up to be pretty nice. I really hope Shields win, not because I'm a huge Shields fan(he's alright, really first impressed me when he out wrestled Dan Henderson so easily) but I want an uber-hyped GSP/Shields match up. As a promoter it would have made sense to just throw Shields right at GSP but Koscheck was in line and it's about time that Fitch gets another shot as well. I just think Champion vs Champion would have been a good way to start off for Shields because if he loses to Kampmann it really hurts his big name status. If he came in to the UFC and lost to GSP in his first fight, it probably wouldn't have mattered really because everyone loses to GSP.

Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal will undergo knee surgery to replace both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee, which could sideline the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion for nine months, said his manager Ryan Parsons.

The 29-year-old Lawal lost his title to Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante at Strikeforce “Houston” on Saturday at the Toyota Center, after the Brazilian floored the collegiate wrestling champion with consecutive knees and a right hand. Cavalcante coaxed out a third-round referee stoppage shortly after.

Lawal had been leading on the scorecards up to that point, Sherdog.com confirmed with the Texas Combat Sports Progam.

Parsons said the injury occurred during Saturday’s bout and that Lawal will undergo surgery next Tuesday in Los Angeles.

“Mo wanted to take one more fight, but we decided that this injury should be attended to first,” said Parsons after Lawal was examined by his physician on Monday.

Lawal, a 2005 U.S. world wrestling team member, underwent ACL surgery in 2009 after tearing the ligament during the first round of his bout against Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku “Seventh Battle” in March 2009.

“Mo danced to the ring and had to be carried out,” said Parsons.

Lawal rattled off a four-fight victory run in Sengoku before Strikeforce acquired the former University of Central Oklahoma wrestler and 2002 Div. II national champion in late 2009. Lawal out-wrestled Gegard Mousasi to a five-round unanimous decision for Strikeforce’s 205-pound title at Strikeforce “Nashville” on April 17 in Tennessee and has become the one of the promotion’s biggest stars in his three-fight tenure.

Oh darn... We don't have to see King Mo fight for nine months.. I'm so upset. It sucks for Strikeforce because he was their biggest LHW name along with Gegard, and their LHW division is really lacking. This is a huge blow to them. I don't like the guy one bit, but in my opinion he was Strikeforce's biggest LHW draw. Pretty long layoff as well. Gonna be interesting to see how he will fare when he does return. If he will lose a step or actually get better. Either way hopefully we don't have to hear him talk for some time now.

Oh darn... We don't have to see King Mo fight for nine months.. I'm so upset. It sucks for Strikeforce because he was their biggest LHW name along with Gegard, and their LHW division is really lacking. This is a huge blow to them. I don't like the guy one bit, but in my opinion he was Strikeforce's biggest LHW draw. Pretty long layoff as well. Gonna be interesting to see how he will fare when he does return. If he will lose a step or actually get better. Either way hopefully we don't have to hear him talk for some time now.

As much as I dislike Lawal, I don't want any athlete to be injured (I'm not suggesting that this is what you were saying in ANY way, Fizzy, just me commenting), but you're right about it being interesting to see how he will fare.

Reoccurring knee injuries are never a good thing. Especially when it's the ACL. As a veteran of this injury I can speak to the effects of the surgery. Maybe Mo can use this time off to examine some of the holes in his game. He needs to have more than just great wrestling.

A middleweight bout between Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Japanese legend Kazushi Sakuraba has been agreed to for Dream 16 on Sept. 25 Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, according to a source close to the negotiations.

One of the more entertainment-savvy characters in the sport, the 29-year-old Miller has competed in Dream on three separate occasions, earning a first-round knockout against Katsuyori Shibata in May 2008, as well as a loss and a no contest against recently crowned Strikeforce middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in June 2008 and May 2009.

In April, Miller easily steered to a first-round stoppage over Tim Stout at Strikeforce “Nashville,” but garnered more attention later that evening for his involvement in a post-fight, in-cage brawl that broke out after Miller challenged Jake Shields to a rematch following his unanimous decision over Dan Henderson. The Tennessee Athletic Commission suspended Miller for six months; that sentence will be completed prior to the Sept. 25 bout.

Considered the most beloved fighter ever to come out of Japan, the 41-year-old Sakuraba is credited with anchoring the sport’s movement in his nation through benchmark battles against Royce Gracie and a number of his fighting relatives, as well as with Pride champion Wanderlei Silva, who the former pro wrestler met and lost to three times in a dramatic rivalry.

In May, the equally quirky Sakuraba dropped a unanimous decision to Ralek Gracie, nephew to Royce, in his 40th professional bout since debuting in the sport in 1996.

Hell i'm excited to see Sakuraba fight again. It's impossible to not love the guy, and he is someone who helped redefine MMA, and really set it main stream in Japan. He is one of the biggest legends in the sport, and it will be great to see him again. Unfortunately though he will most likely lose to Mayhem. I think Mayhem is a giant dick, and I really don't like him. I would like nothing more than to see Saku beat this guy, but I really can't see how he will. Either way it'll be exciting to see Saku, as I don't know how much longer he can fight for.

Wow... I never expected Sakuraba, of all people, to be Mayhem's next opponent. Sort of shocking.

Nevertheless, I'm stoked to hear about it. I'm a HUGE fan of both individuals, but I fully expect Mayhem to take this one. It won't be easy, but Mayhem is incredible on the ground and his stand-up gets better and better with each fight.

But yeah... great fight, and Dream.16 as a whole is shaping up to be one hell of a show. I certainly cannot wait for it.

According to F4Wonline.com, Belfort will face Yushin Okami (25-5) in the main event of UFC 122 on November 13 in Oberhausen, Germany. It is expected that the winner of that fight will face the winner of the Silva/Sonnen II fight at some point next year.

Interesting match for sure. It makes me a little nervous however being a Belfort fan. He had pretty good take down defense and awesome top control at one point, but we haven't seen any of it in years. Both of those things will be huge factors in this fight. I hope that Okami will get over confident with his improving stand up and want to trade with Belfort on the feet, obviously Belfort's home. In the end though, it depresses me that I am picking Okami by decision. Not that I dislike Okami at all, I just really want to see Belfort/Silva.

An interesting point to bring up here is where does that leave Leben and Wanderlei since both were also rumored to be fighter either Okami or Belfort. If an mma fans dreams can come true then we will get to see Wanderlei and Leben go at it in a fight that will no doubt be FOTN.

This fight really makes the most sense. We get to see Belfort finally fight again, fights a actual Middleweight fight in the UFC before being warranted a title shot, and Okami gets a tougher fight and would probably deserve a title shot if he beats Belfort.

I always believed Dana jumped the gun, saying Belfort was gonna get a title shot after the Franklin fight. I mean we are all pretty much in agreeance saying it was bullshit that he was supposed to get one after one fight at a catchweight bout, I think it happened because of the way he destroyed Franklin, and was looking like he might be the one to stop Silva. Well they both had separate injuries, and Sonnen ended up getting Silva. We know the story from there.

As for Wandy and Leben, Since the Wandy and Sexyama fight isn't gonna happen anytime soon, I would love to see him fight Leben. It would be one hell of a slugfest. If the UFC was smart they would book that as soon as Wandy is cleared to fight.

The UFC is getting this 100% right on this one, plus they've now set up 3 fights that make the most sense for the division. Silva vs Sonnen II for the Title. Winner faces winner of Okami vs Belfort. Then you have Wandy vs Leben, winner facing either loser of either of the fights, with a potential title shot for either Wandy or Leben if they win that fight.

Its a good situation to be in.

Interesting match for sure. It makes me a little nervous however being a Belfort fan. He had pretty good take down defense and awesome top control at one point, but we haven't seen any of it in years. Both of those things will be huge factors in this fight. I hope that Okami will get over confident with his improving stand up and want to trade with Belfort on the feet, obviously Belfort's home. In the end though, it depresses me that I am picking Okami by decision. Not that I dislike Okami at all, I just really want to see Belfort/Silva.

An interesting point to bring up here is where does that leave Leben and Wanderlei since both were also rumored to be fighter either Okami or Belfort. If an mma fans dreams can come true then we will get to see Wanderlei and Leben go at it in a fight that will no doubt be FOTN.

I agree with you. I am a Belfort fan, through and through. I totally wanted to see him fight Anderson Silva. Hopefully it will still happen. But since Sonnen will get a rematch and Belfort must beat Okami to get the title fight. It looks a little less likely. At least at this point it does. Hopefully they both win and the meeting takes place next year.

But if things do not go the way I think both of us want it to go. The fight might still happen, but with both of them out of the title picture.

Source MMAnews:

Never say never. Not quite one year since Dana White told the world that Karo Parisyan would never fight in the UFC again via Twitter, "The Heat" tells Ariel Helwani that he has been offered a fight in the UFC at UFC 123 in November against veteran Dennis Hallman.

Parisyan, who suffers from anxiety disorder, was canned after pulling out of fights on short notice twice, at UFC 88 and UFC 106 and in between failed a drug test at UFC 94.

Parisyan told MMAFighting.com that he worked hard to get back in on the good side of the UFC brass and was eventually offered a three-fight deal.

I'm glad to see him back in the UFC. I seen a lot of his past fights on Unleashed and online. Hopefully he can keep on track now, he adds another good name to UFC's Welterweight division. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch with him vs. Sanchez, or Alves. The match up with Hallman should be a good technical fight, probably going the distance.

Also seen that Thiago Alves will face John Howard at UFC 124. Most of us should remember Howard's last fight when he was stopped by Ellenberger for receiving a Rockman type bump on his eye. This should be a stand up war between the two. Alves gets to fight a fight not on his back for the whole fight.

I like that Parisyan is coming back, or may be coming back. He is a great talent and was on his way to big things before and injury set him back and forced him out of a title fight with Matt Hughes years ago. I actually think he could have beaten Hughes and who knows where we would be now if he had, alright we all know we would probably still be where we are, but I do think Parisyan could have already been a former champion if it weren't for injuries. He is still young and very talented and could still do some big things in the UFC. Hopefully he lives up to everything and can stay healthy.

Alves vs. Howard actually intrigues me a lot. Both men like to throw some heavy leather and this fight could be awesome. I would have to give Alves the early advantage considering Howard has yet to fight an elite fighter, but I wouldn't count Howard out entirely. He has shown a great deal of ability and could pull off the upset.

Hopefully he lives up to everything and can stay healthy.

Or ya know stops being a druggie, and completely freaking out before fights. It's really difficult to think of what will happen with Karo. He is a great fighter, but he has a shit ton of issues. I think it was his last fight where he had such a bad anxiety attack before his fight that they had to move his fight to first on the card because he wouldn't be able to wait until it was really scheduled. Hopefully Karo has his head on straight, and makes the most of his opportunity. He is a respectful, and talented dude who I want to succeed.

Emerging lightweights Joe Lauzon and George Sotiropoulos have agreed to meet at UFC 123 on Nov. 20 at the Palace at Auburn Hills outside Detroit, Sherdog.com has confirmed through multiple sources.

Both have had recent standout performances in the promotion’s touted lightweight division, and the bout will undoubtedly hold title contendership implications.

Massachusetts native Lauzon made the most of homecoming turn at UFC 118 on Aug. 28 in Boston, battering fellow “Ultimate Fighter 5” alumnus Gabe Reudiger en route to a first-round armbar finish. The 26-year-old Lauzon is 6-2 in the Octagon since bursting onto the scene with an unlikely knockout of former lightweight champ Jens Pulver at UFC 63 in September 2006.

Sotiropoulos, 33, has collected seven straight wins since April 2007, and touts a perfect 6-0 record inside the Octagon with recent decision nods over Joe Stevenson and Kurt Pellegrino this year. A Brazilian Jiu-jitsu black belt who’s trained under Eddie Bravo, Matt Serra, Enson Inoue and others, the Australian-born Sotiropoulos is a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 6.”

UFC 123 will be headlined by a light heavyweight bout between former champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida.

Great fight we should have. Joe looked phenomenal in his last fight, and I really like him as a fighter. Great guy who is just so fun to listen to and watch. I really want him to succeed. I know the favorite will be George and I believe he will win, but I have a feeling that Joe will pull of the upset. If George wins I think he should fight a top 5 guy, then get a title shot. Same goes for Joe. This fight will have major title implications for the winner, and should be a great fight.

I have few new fight updates here.

First Thiago Silva vs Brandon Vera for UFC 125

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20557/thiago-silva-vs-brandon-vera-targeted-for-ufc-125-in-january.mma

Great fight, it really is a must win for both guys. I am pulling for Thiago Silva of course, being a huge fan. With that being said though it could go either way. I give the boxing to Thiago, his hands to me have always been pretty good, he also has KO power to match it. If Vera comes out agressive and works the clinch like he did in his HW days, then I could see it going his way. I see Vera being too passive though, and getting KO'd on the feet or from some GNP, I know Vera has some good wrestling credentials, and his hard to take down(except if your Jon Jones) but if Thiago does gets him to the ground he has some great top game and some very nice GNP to match. Silva for the win, if he can make it to the fight without fucking up his back again.

Secondly, Demian Maia vs Kendall Grove is being scheduled for TUF 12 finale.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12537&zoneid=3

Me and JMT might butt heads a bit on this one, but I kinda see this as a gimme for Maia, grove has good BJJ, but compared to Maia he will look like a amateur. Groves TDD isn't stellar and neither is his chin. Not saying Maia will KO him or nothing, but it might be a bit easier to soften him up for a sub on the ground with some GNP. Grove has some decent stand up and tons of heart, but I don't think that will save him in this one. Maia with a Sub is my prediction.

Joe Lauzon vs. George Sotiropoulos

Great, great, GREAT fight, and one I absolutely cannot wait to see. Hopefully Lauzon can continue what he so beautifully started at UFC 118

I am kind of bummed though because I was hoping Takanori Gomi vs. Sotiropoulos would have been set-up. I just don't want Gomi fighting BJ Penn next, which I have a terrible feeling is going to happen.

Thiago Silva vs Brandon Vera for UFC 125

Might as well bill it as a "Loser Leaves Town" match, since you know who ever loses is getting the boot from the UFC.

It's a damn near impossible fight to call though. I'm intrigued.

Demian Maia vs Kendall Grove

Great fight.

I hate to admit it, but with Maia's improved wrestling, I see him eventually getting Grove to the ground late in the 2nd or 3rd and putting him away soon after. Grove's BJJ is decent enough, but nowhere near the level of Maia's. Should be a fun fucking fight though, and while I like Maia a lot, I will definitely be rooting for Grove to pull off the upset in this one.

Silva vs Vera

I know some will see this as a must win for both or either could be looking at walking papers, I don't think that's the case. There are far worse and less recognizable names not just in the entire UFC but even just in the LHW division. Both are names and both are gatekeepers that the UFC will use when needed. If either are close to walking it would be Vera. He hasn't been impressive since he beat Mir years ago and has been one of the most disappointing and over hyped fighters in a long time. Silva only has two losses to begin with and only one was a decisive finish. He will be around for a while if he can stay injury free, something he is having trouble with.

This should be an interesting fight, as it is when two muay thai fighters go at it. I'm not sure which one, but one will be slightly more passive and be more on the defensive rather than throwing any offense and that fighter will lose a decision. I'm thinking Silva will walk away with the win here.

Lauzon vs Sotiropoulos

Interesting match up. I like, not love, both of these fighters and both have a lot to add to the division Joe looked great against Cake Ruediger and G. Sot. is going to be top three LW's in the world, no doubt. Neither men have tremendous power in the standup, Joe might have a slight edge with force but Sot. puts together better combos and has crisper boxing. I can see Lauzon coming out stronger and more aggressive in the beginning but George will be able to counter very well with some well time jabs. Sot. by decision.

Grove vs Maia

I fucking hate Kendall Grove. Like, a lot. We are talking Koscheck level hate here. He is the epitome of toolbag and one over the most over hyped fighters of a couple years ago. His last noteworthy win was over an aging Tanner and before that it was an undeveloped Belcher. His chin is questionable and for having decent grappling offense there is just no way he matches up with Maia. Demian's stand up has improved a bit but overall it's a weak spot. If Grove can keep it standing and use his reach and muay thai then Maia will not have an answer for it. Once it hits the ground though, Maia with grapple rape him and get the sub somewhere in the third.

So I guess Tim Sylvia is set to make his pro wrestling debut in Japan................ Lol, I hate Sylvia, so this should be relatively amusing, but seriously??

I know his MMA career is on the decline (cause he sucks) but why does he think he'll do any better in pro wrestling?

It's an easy payday for Fatboy. I'd rather see him in a wrestling ring looking like a fool than watching him fight in a MMA ring looking like an even bigger fool. I bet it is more likely a short term thing. I'm confident Pedro Rizzo will take the steam out of Sylvia whenever they are supposed to meet.

MMAjunkie
A welterweight bout between rising contenders Rick Story (11-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Johny Hendricks (9-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is slated for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale in December.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place and that bout agreements are in the process of being finalized.

The fight is expected to be part of the night's main card, which airs live on Spike TV.

The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale, which concludes the soon-to-debut new season of the UFC's reality series, takes place Dec. 4 at The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

All I can say is about time we see Johny Hendricks on a main card again. I was surprised after he demolished Amir Sadollah in 30 seconds he hasn't been on a main card in his last three fights. I'm really starting to like Hendricks a lot. The guy is starting to climb the Welterweight ranks a win versus Story, he should start getting some top competition to get close to a title fight. He will have has hands full with Story, should make for a very good fight.

So I guess Tim Sylvia is set to make his pro wrestling debut in Japan................ Lol, I hate Sylvia, so this should be relatively amusing, but seriously??

I know his MMA career is on the decline (cause he sucks) but why does he think he'll do any better in pro wrestling?

Yeah, I read about that a few days ago. I guess his first opponent is supossed to be Josh Barnett as well. Go figure. I feel as though his wrestling career will go about as well as his MMA career as of late. He may find some success, but overall it will be a failure. He just doesn't have any charisma to speak of whatsoever, and isn't trained in wrestling at all, at least to my knowledge. I suspect his match will be boring and stiff, something I would prefer not watching, but I most likely will just because I want to see how he does. I may not like the man, but I hope for his financial sake that this career move works out for him.

Strikeforce on Monday added considerable strength to its heavyweight pool, as the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion announced the acquisition of former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett. Terms of the multi-fight deal were not disclosed.

A catch wrestling practitioner, Barnett has secured more than half (17) of his 29 career victories by submission. The 32-year-old Seattle native posted his sixth straight win in July, when he stopped Geronimo dos Santos on first-round punches under the Impact FC banner in Brisbane, Australia. A finalist in the 2006 Pride Fighting Championships open weight grand prix, Barnett has not competed on American soil since he struck Gilbert Yvel into submission at Affliction “Day of Reckoning” in January 2009.

Victories against UFC hall of famers Dan Severn and Randy Couture, former Pride heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Olympic gold medalists Pawel Nastula and Hidehiko Yoshida anchor Barnett’s resume. He has been flagged multiple times for suspected steroid use.

“Strikeforce is the home of the best heavyweight division in the world, and I’m proud to be able to call it my home now,” said Barnett, who joins a promotional stable that includes champion Alistair Overeem, the great Fedor Emelianenko and UFC veteran Fabricio Werdum. “I’m looking forward to competing amongst the greatest fighters in the world and fighting my way to another world title.”

Does Strikeforce want to kill itself? Sure Barnett is a good fighter. Probably one of the best heavyweights in the world, but for god sake look what he did to Affliction. Look how many times he got caught with steroids. I really don't think this is a smart move for Strikeforce. Theres also been reports that a Matt Hughes/BJ Penn III will take place at UFC 123. Not confirmed yet, but still exciting none the less. I take Hughes via new found K-1 kickboxing ability :rolleyes:

The difference between Strikeforce and Affliction is that Strikeforce won't build their entire company around one fight. For each show Affliction did, they depended on one fight and one fight only for their company to draw. However, it's not like that with Strikeforce; they have solid undercards, and they put on shows more than once every 8 months.

Anyways, I think it's a good pick-up. Barnett at the end of the day is a great Heavyweight, and it's been over a year since the steroid scandal, so things have blown over by now. And the fact is.. they could use as many Heavyweights as they can rack up right now. The UFC's HW Division is the greatest it's even been, and SF needs to do whatever they can to compete with them in that way.

Meh I still think it's fucking stupid. I don't care if it was over a year ago he got caught three times. Three fucking times! It obviously shows he has no respect for rules. Getting caught once I can see you getting another shot, but three times is ridiculous. Whatever I guess we'll see what unfolds by it. I'm digging the camel toe in your Sig though JMT.

Notorious British striker Paul Daley has signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce, the promotion announced on Thursday.

Fresh off a unanimous decision victory over Jorge Masvidal at Shark Fights 13 on Sept. 11 in Amarillo, Texas, Daley joins a welterweight stable that includes champion Nick Diaz, K.J. Noons, Andre Galvao and Tarec Saffiedine.

A staple of the U.K. circuit from 2003-2006, Daley gained notice in the UFC welterweight division in 2009 with back-to-back knockout wins over Martin Kampmann and Dustin Hazelett. The run earned the 27-year-old fighter a fight with Josh Koscheck at UFC 113 in May for the No. 1 contender’s spot and a coaching role on Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter 12.”

Koscheck outwrestled Daley to a unanimous decision nod. The Nottingham, England, native lost control of his emotions afterward and punched Koscheck after the final bell. As a result, UFC President Dana White promptly released Daley from his contract.

In July, Daley notched a third-round submission win over Daniel Acacio at Impact Fighting Championship 2 in Sydney, Australia.

Daley appeared once before for Strikeforce in a co-promoted event with EliteXC in 2007, earning a second-round TKO against fellow striker Duane Ludwig.

Wow. Strikeforce is looking very weak and needy to me at least. Signing a 3 time steroid abuser, and now a sucker puncher? Signs of weakness and desperation in my eyes. It's not like Daley is good. Hes so average, with no wrestling. Not to mention he missed weight I believe in his last fight. Whatever I just don't like Strikeforce right now.

Say what you want about Daley, I personally don't like him either, but he is still adds a known name to the promotion. Everyone knew he was gonna end up there anyways. I'm sure he will get fed a can to start off, so he can display his KO power, then face either Diaz or Noons. If he wants to be successful and further himself he really has to work on his takedown defense and wrestling, someone like Diaz will submit him within 2 rounds. A stand up war with Noons would make for an exciting ass fight!

I read that Masvidal signed with Strikeforce as well, but that he is returning to the Lightweight division. So much for a rematch between the two.

I wouldn't call Strikeforce's recent moves out of desperation, they seem to being doing fine, they're just bulking up their divisions, if only the can do that with thier Light Heavyweights. UFC has a few fighters that have tested positive for steroids as well, maybe not three times but still have fighters that tested positive, Bonnar, Sherk, Leben, Marquardt, Belfort to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back