MMA News and Tidbits

On the mend from shoulder surgery that took him out of a title shot against Anderson Silva at UFC 112 last April, Vitor Belfort said he’s primed for a return to the Octagon in October.

“My return to the ring has been defined by (UFC owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta),” Belfort said during an interview last week on Brazil’s most popular MMA program “Sensei Sport TV.” “He called me and wants me to be ready in October and I'll be ready by then.”

The former UFC light heavyweight champion also had choice words for Silva, who faces wrestler Chael Sonnen on August 17 at UFC 117 in Oakland, Calif.

"What bothered me about Anderson, and also bothered us all, was the lack of respect he had with the athlete and man inside the Octagon, talking dirty words, skipping, then kneeling to ask for forgiveness and then not wanting to apologize,” Belfort said of Silva’s unanimous decision victory over Demian Maia at UFC 112. “It was a controversy, people tried to tell him, but (his manager) Ed Soares translated incorrectly. What bothers me is that I had great affection for him when I knew him. Now he is not the same as before.”

The 33-year-old Belfort, who has back-to-back first-round finishes over Matt Lindland and Rich Franklin, said he’s using his recovery time to come back an elite fighter. Belfort said he has his one-time teammate Silva, also touted for his striking skills, in his sights.

"Everybody wants this fight. I think it will be the fight of the century,” said Belfort. “It is a much anticipated fight and has to happen. It didn’t happen, but now it has to happen more than ever. Now, I'm more determined. I really want this fight. Before they put this fight on me, but now I want it. Now it’s my challenge and it will come.”

So, this is very good news. It seems like it has been an eternity since Belfort was sidelined with the shoulder injury and forced out of his title fight with Anderson but now it is being reported that he will finally return in October. I am a huge fan of The Phenom and am very curious to see who the UFC throws at him for his return fight. It will be very interesting to see who he fights seeing as a lot of the big dogs in the Middleweight division are tied up right now. I am thinking it will be Nate Marquardt since I don't recall him having fight coming up anytime soon, though I may be wrong. Either way, I am very excited to see Vitor finally return.

For those who haven't heard yet, Shinya Aoki will be defending his DREAM Lightweight title against Tatsuya Kawajiri at DREAM 15 on July 10th.

This fight is actually a couple of years in the making. Both are considered the absolute best Japan has to offer, and it's about time we see them go to battle against one another.

Everybody by now should know who Shinya Aoki is. To many he's considered to be a top 5 Lightweight in the World, who contains the absolute sickest submissions in the entire sport.

Tatsuya Kawajiri, though, a lot of you probably haven't heard of yet. He is basically the Japanese GSP. He has AWESOME wrestling and is strong as fuck for a Lightweight, with some of the best, most devastating Ground and Pound in the sport. Check out this "Best of" video of him:

[YOUTUBE]9lP5yh9ZS84[/YOUTUBE]

This is a fight that you don't want to miss out on. It will undoubtedly be a FOTY canidate, and I for one cannot wait to see it.

Former divisional champion Josh Thomson will meet Pat Healy in a featured lightweight bout at Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Werdum” on June 26 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., the promotion announced Wednesday.

Also made official was a rematch between Scott Smith and former middleweight champion Cung Le.

American Kickboxing Academy’s Thomson and Strikeforce lightweight champion Gil Melendez waged one of the most well-regarded fights of 2009. After five rounds of back-and-forth trading, Melendez was given the unanimous nod and unified the promotion’s two 155-pound titles. The 31-year-old Thomson bested Melendez with unanimous scores back in June 2008 to take the crown from him.

Healy emerged victorious from his 155-pound bout against Bryan Travers at Strikeforce Challengers 8 on May 21 in Portland, Ore. With nearly 40 fights on his docket, Healy has also fought for the UFC and WEC and has won five of his last seven outings.

Le-Smith 1 was one of the promotion’s more memorable bouts in 2009. The 38-year-old Le battered Smith’s face and body with punches and kicks for nearly three rounds at Strikeforce “Evolution” last December in San Jose, Calif. However, the resilient Smith knocked Le down and finished him in the third round’s final minutes.

The June 26 event will also feature the return of the world’s No. 1 heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who takes on former UFC top-fiver Fabricio Werdum in the headlining bout. Strikeforce 145-pound women’s champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos will also defend her crown against Jan Finney.

Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Werdum” airs live on Showtime.

Josh Thompson is a terrific fighter and one of the best on the Strikeforce roster even if he is coming off of a loss. It will be interesting to see how he responds since his last fight was a loss to Gilbert Melendez for the Lightweight title. It should be an exciting fight basically on the premise that Thompson is involved.

As for the Cung Le/Scott Smith rematch, well I really couldn't give a shit. We have already seen this fight and it was a stunning upset, one of the biggest in Strikeforce history. I am not a fan of seeing SF trying to rewrite history which is what they are trying. Scott Smith should be matched up against someone who has recently won such as a Jacare or someone else like that not fighting the same guy again. Cung Le on the other hand is one of Strikeforces golden boys and they are trying to reclaim the aura that surrounds him even though Smith pretty much destroyed it with one punch.

Early reports estimate that UFC 114 received 925k buys.

If that does turn out to be the case, then Rampage vs. Evans will rank as the 4th most bought pay-per-view in UFC history. UFC 92 (Evans vs. Griffin, Wandy vs. Rampage, Mir vs. Big Nog) is the third most bought pay-per-view in UFC history, while UFC 66 (Ortiz vs. Liddell 2) is #2, and UFC 100 is #1, respectively.

So, even with no Forrest to co-headline UFC 114, the Rampage/Rashad build-up was enough to draw that many buys. Pretty spectacular, especially considering UFC 116 is just around the corner, which I GUARANTEE takes that 3rd spot from UFC 92, if not better.

In response to your Belfort post IndyJon, I'm pretty sure he doesn't get a tune up fight and gets the winner of Silva/Sonnen fight for sometime in the fall either October or November. Also its rumored that Marquardt is supposed to fight Rousimar Palhares at UFC 118. Both of these haven't been confirmed by the UFC but are covered on multiple sites. Either opponent for Belfort is fine for me as they are both great matchups, of course Silva would sell more, but if Sonnen beats Silva, then Belfort/Sonnen is gonna be one hell of a slugfest.

For JMT's post on UFC 114 buys, I'm impressed with that number. Thats great numbers for not having one title fight. Guess the Rampage Evans feud sold quite well. That should put to rest anyone who said that Rampage/Evans wasn't a main event fight, as I remember someone saying that in the UFC 114 thread. If Forrest would've stayed on theres no doubt it would've been over a mill in buys. As for UFC 116 theres no doubt it will rank up there, the last to Brock fights had over a million buys a piece, so there is no reason why this one shouldn't either.

Seth Petruzelli got a UFC contract and will fight newcomer Ricardo Romero at UFC 116.

I'm glad Seth got a job, he deserves to be in the UFC, and is a very talented fighter. What I don't get though is why Dana released Kimbo if he knew he was going to sign Seth. A Petruzelli/Kimbo II fight would have done HUGE ratings for a Fight Night.

I can't wait to see how Seth does in the UFC, and I can't wait to see what kind of hijinks he and Lawlor come up with for the weigh-ins and his entrance.

Alan Belcher vs. Demian Maia is being targeted for UFN 22.

Hell yes. I love Maia and can't stand Belcher so this will be awesome, if Maia wins. I think he will though. I think people will underestimate Maia becuase of the Anderson fight. Alan Belcher is no fucking Anderson Silva though, and will not tool Maia till the point of a take down being impossible like Anderson did. Maia is 10x better on the ground then Belcher too, Maia will be like a a shark in a blood bath if that fight hits the ground. I bet that alot of people will call Belcher on this one, but people need to remember that Maia is the guy who made a fool out of the current #1 contender to Silvas title. He is good enough, and tough enough to stand until he brings it to the mat. Maia by sub. Don't know what round though.

What I don't get though is why Dana released Kimbo if he knew he was going to sign Seth. A Petruzelli/Kimbo II fight would have done HUGE ratings for a Fight Night

I would of loved to see this. I would so be rooting for Kimbo, but I think Seth would take him. Kimbo has so many holes that you really can just pick and choose what one you want to capatalize on, bad knees, no takedown defense, no head movement, ect. It would have been a bad ass co main event for a Fight Night though. I would be really curious to see the ratings for it too.

Urijah Faber's next fight has been announced. It will be at WEC 50 August 18th in Las Vegas. It will be on Versus. He is moving down to bantamweight to face Takeya Mizugaki. This is definitely a smart move for him since he has been struggling featherweight losing 3 out of 5 of his past fights, with one of those victories coming against Jens Pulver who hasn't been a relevant fighter in quite some time. The fight with Mizugaki could be a very good stand up war as both are very good strikers.

Also bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz will face Joesph Benavidez. I can't wait for this their first fight back at WEC 42 was great. Cruz gave Benavidez his first lost by defeating by decision. This will be Cruz's first title defense since winning the belt from Brian Bowles. Benavidez last fought Miguel Torres in which he beat him, which was Torres first fight since losing the belt to Bowles. I would assume that the Faber/Mazugaki winner will most likely be the next opponent for the winner of this fight.

It's being reported that Forrest Griffin will face the winner of Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin.

I think this is absolutely the PERFECT move by the UFC. It's really about time Forrest gets someone who's not in the top ten. As I mentioned earlier, Forrest has been fighting nothing but the absolute elite the past couple of years, and I think he needs something like this right now.

That said, if Rick Franklin beats Liddell like he should, then he'll beat Forrest as well, unless Forrest finally decides to start using his grappling more in fights (I think if Forrest started incorporating his wrestling and jiu-jitsu more in his fights, he'd really be one of the best in the World). However, if we see the stand-and-bang Forrest against Franklin, then he'll get his ass handed to him, no doubt. And if Liddell somehow managed to beat Franklin, then Forrest should have no problem wiping the floor with Chuck, stand-and-bang Forrest or not.

Wow! That's nice fight, right there!

Rich Franklin should beat Liddell this Saturday and I would love to see him and Forrest having a shot at each other. I really don't see Franklin having a problem with Liddell but if Liddell should manage to pull out the win, I doubt I will be as excited about this fight, for some strange reason. I know that Liddell is a marquee fighter but I would much rather watch Franklin versus Griffin.

That being said, I wonder if this is going to be a main event fight, or will it be a co-main event? I think if Liddell is involved, it will definitely be the fight that the UFC put as the main event. However, Rich Franklin versus Forrest Griffin isn't something that I would pay for as a main event. I don't know why that it is but I just think that way. I would put it as co-main event with a heavyweight fight (Lesnar) or a title fight. That would be a stacked card already and would really force me to put my hand in my pocket.

Wow! That's nice fight, right there!

Rich Franklin should beat Liddell this Saturday and I would love to see him and Forrest having a shot at each other. I really don't see Franklin having a problem with Liddell but if Liddell should manage to pull out the win, I doubt I will be as excited about this fight, for some strange reason. I know that Liddell is a marquee fighter but I would much rather watch Franklin versus Griffin.

Don't count Chuck out just yet. He's really working hard on his physique and he doesn't have the beer belly that he usually has when he goes in for a fight. I've been watching Chuck fight for years, and I've never seen him look in this kind of shape:

27y0jsg.jpg

He's laying off the partying and he seems focused for this fight. Forrest fighting either one is pretty interesting to me. I don't think Chuck will win though. His chin is just too suspect now. However, he will definitely make Franklin work for the win.

That being said, I wonder if this is going to be a main event fight, or will it be a co-main event? I think if Liddell is involved, it will definitely be the fight that the UFC put as the main event. However, Rich Franklin versus Forrest Griffin isn't something that I would pay for as a main event. I don't know why that it is but I just think that way. I would put it as co-main event with a heavyweight fight (Lesnar) or a title fight. That would be a stacked card already and would really force me to put my hand in my pocket.

Franklin, Griffin, and Liddell right now in this stage of their careers are guys who can either be in the co-main of a huge PPV, or be in the main event of a PPV like this one coming up. They've had Franklin main event PPVs twice last year, Griffin main evented one, and they're having Chuck and Franklin main event this one, basically hoping that they can get the casual fans to tune in. I absolutely agree though that they should put the next fight between the combo of these guys as a co-main for a huge superfight, or to support a title fight.

I have been looking all over for that picture of Chuck. I heard he was in tremendous shape, at least by appearance and hot damn was that ever true. He has never looked more defined as long as I have been watching, but his definition won't be what wins him the fight. Hopefully his chin shows up if he expects to win because Franklin is tough as nails and Chuck has been looking bad as of late. The fight has gotten a lot more interesting in my eyes though.

I still can't believe Liddell is in this kind of shape. When looking at the pic fast he looks like a Madame Tussaud's wax figure. Also are his toenails painted? Looks like they are. I'm watching the UFC 115 Countdown, and his girlfriend I guess gets the credit for the shape he is in. She has him eating healthier, and he laid off the partying since thats not her scene. Guess those nude workouts really paid off!! After seeing Forrest this past week on TUF he needs to get on the Liddell plan. Dude is looking a wee bit on the hefty side, and this is before he even hurt his shoulder.

So the winner of Liddell/Franklin gets Griffin. I have to agree with JMT and say it's a good move to let Forrest fight someone not ranked so high, especially since coming off the shoulder surgery. Whoever Forrest's opponent is would be a great co-main event for the Silva/Sonnen vs. Belfort thats supposed to happen in October or November. I still would like to see the Griffin vs. Lil Nog fight as well.

Chuck does look in the best shape he's ever been in, but that doesn't mean much to me. Rampage said/looked like he was the best shape he's ever been in before the Rashad Evans fight, and we all saw what happened there.

I just feel both Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin are more adjusted to today's MMA than Liddell is. For example, watch Liddell vs. Jardine for full proof of this. If Liddell thought Jardine's leg/body kicks were bad, let him get a couple from Forrest Griffin. This is why I say Forrest would eat Chuck alive if they were to fight. As far as Rich Franklin... Rich is just the more well-rounded fighter. All Chuck can do is stop the takedown and counter punch, but there's no way Franklin plays into his game. Franklin will strike sharp and hard and keep himself out of trouble. And if he gets an opportunity to put it away, he will.

Oh, and by the way... Rampage has gone on record saying he wants Forrest Griffin in his next fight. So, if Rampage gets his way (which is definitely possible), then Forrest vs. Rampage 2 will go down rather than the winner of Liddell/Franklin vs. Forrest.

James Toney has yet to sign on the dotted line to fight Randy Couture for UFC 118. Is he having 2nd thoughts? Hmmm... who knows, but he is currently training MMA. His camp consists of King Mo for wrestling, Dean Lister for Jiu-Jitsu, and Trever Sherman, who is basically the M-1 Global trainer who sees over the entire camp. Not bad at all, but 3-4 months of training with those guys will not get him ready for someone of Randy Couture's caliber. Randy should EASILY take Toney down and submit him within the first two minutes of the fight. The only way Toney will stand a chance is if Randy is stupid enough to stand and trade with him, but I don't see that happening.

Keith Jardine was cut by the UFC today.

Honestly, I think it was for the best for all parties, including us fans. Even with his last few losses, Jardine is still a great fighter and will be a valuable asset to any MMA promotion he signs with, and that definitely includes Strikeforce.

Strikeforce really needs another Light Heavyweight name, and they're lucking out here with someone like Jardine getting cut. Jardine vs. King Mo, Jardine vs. Mousasi, and Jardine vs. Babalu are all huge potential match-ups, and I think they would be all GREAT fights. So hopefully Jardine gets signed sooner rather than later. Fuck Batista, sign a real fighter, Cooker, like Keith Jardine.

Fabricio Werdum’s astonishing upset victory over long-time kingpin Fedor Emelianenko has thrown the Strikeforce heavyweight division into chaos. Although the stoic Russian deflected questions before this bout about a potential title shot against heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, it was widely believed he would at the very least be offered that fight.

Now with Werdum’s gigantic monkey wrench being tossed into the plans, it’s anyone’s guess which way the promotion goes with their big guys.

Talk of an immediate rematch circulated the HP Pavilion during the post-fight press conference and Werdum was clear that he would indeed be willing to have a return engagement with Emelianenko.

“I want a rematch,” said Werdum right after the biggest win of his life. “I’m ready to fight anyone [Strikeforce CEO] Scott [Coker] wants me to fight.”

Coker was in no hurry to book that fight, and told Sherdog.com that the promotion had options in the heavyweight division.

“We’ll have to sit back and evaluate the situation,” said Coker following the press conference. “We can go in any number of directions.”

While Strikeforce does have options with Fedor, Overeem and Werdum, it seems likely that whoever is left out of the next big heavyweight bout will be forced to square off with a less than compelling opponent.

Strikeforce Matchmaker Rich Chou pointed to Antonio Silva and Coker added Sergei Kharitonov as potential foils for the trio.

Silva recently lost to Werdum and Kharitonov has not fought since being submitted by journeyman Jeff Monson 14 months ago. Neither seems a fitting challenger for Overeem, but could be an option for Fedor.

Emelianenko, speaking with the media before Werdum told the same roomful of reporters that he would grant “his hero” a rematch, said he would like another crack at the man who ended his nine-and-a-half year unbeaten run.

“Certainly I would like to have a rematch with Fabricio,” said the former Pride champion via his translator, “If he agrees, I would love to do that.

CBS executive Kelly Kahl was also on hand and, though he declined to get into any specifics, said he would “have to listen” if Strikeforce offered to bring a rematch to the network.

Another interesting angle that will play out over the next couple of months will be the manner in which M-1 Global, Emelianenko’s promoter, handles the sudden vulnerability of their top star.

The unexpected loss also has repercussions on the broader heavyweight landscape. With Fedor’s defeat, the July 3 UFC championship match between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin will be for the unadulterated top spot in mixed martial arts heavyweight division.

I am really becoming a fan of Fabricio Werdum. The man takes down arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever and turns around and says he would take a rematch with him. Werdum is a serious class act and respect the hell out of that.

On to point, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a rematch but not so soon. What I want to see from Werdum right now is a rematch with Overeem for the Heavyweight title. Werdum has earned it and shouldn't hold himself back from a title shot he deserved. Liddell did it a couple years ago when he took a fight with Vernon White but why should Werdum risk a title opportunity that he earned fair and square. He should have his title fight and Fedor should fight someone else and if they both win then and only then should talk of a rematch begin to take place.

Tyson Griffin is going to replace Joe Stevenson against Takanori Gomi at UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko, after Stevenson suffered an injury.

I'm a little disappointed by this.. I was looking forward to seeing Gomi wipe the floor with Stevenson. I think most would have been impressed by that more so than they will when Gomi kicks Griffin's ass. Tyson Griffin's a very good, exciting fighter, but Gomi is better on the feet and wrestling wise. Gomi might have a bit of trouble if the fight goes to the ground, but I think he knows enough to keep himself from getting submitted by someone like Griffin (especially after what we saw from Griffin in his last fight, which is why I think people will discredit Gomi if he wins, since Griffin is coming off a loss against a relatively unknown).

But yeah.. still should be a good opener for the UFC Live show. I'll always be up for a Gomi fight, no matter who it's against.

Kind of had a feeling it was going to happen, with both guys top contenders and coming off less than stellar performances...

Rumor of the day: Rampage Jackson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the works according to tatame.com:

Nogueira’s boxing coach Luis Carlos Dórea revealed that the Bahia native fighter will come back to the octagon in September.

"It’s set that he’ll be back in September, and rumors point that his opponent might be Quinton Jackson. It’d be a great fight for Rogério, he’s a former UFC champion and a victory over him will move us pretty close to the title."

Great fight for both guys to see where they really stand. I think this fight is going to put Rampage back on the map with a devastating KO. If Jason Brilz could rock Nogueira, then I think Rampage should have no problem having his way with him. I think a lot of the luster Lil' Nog had from when he destroyed Cane is long gone, just from the Brilz fight and the fact that Diabate also desyroyed Cane. Nog doesn't have much in the way of takedowns, and won't be able to control Rampage like Rashad was able to.

I think this has to mean that Forrest Griffin vs. Lyoto Machida is also on tap.

Jake Shields was officially released by Strikeforce today.

Jack Shields, Jake's father/manager, says the one thing they're asking from the UFC is Jake's first fight to be against Anderson Silva, since GSP has a fight all the way in December.

Not sure his wish will be granted, but I'd certainly be down for that. However, I think the UFC will match Shields up with someone like Okami or Marquardt first; that is unless Anderson Silva loses to Chael Sonnen, in which case I think Shields vs. Silva could be definite since Vitor is guaranteed the next MW Title shot.

All in all... doesn't really matter. I'm just excited to see Jake Shields in the UFC. Hopefully they can come to a deal sooner rather than later.

Update on Ricardo Arona to UFC.

Former PRIDE middleweight champion Ricardo Arona is planning his return to the UFC, even if the promotion hasn't decided whether or not they want him.

"The Brazilian Tiger" told TATAME that he is planning another trip to Las Vegas this weekend to attend UFC 116 so he can meet again with Dana White to discuss with the UFC president the prospect of one day fighting in the UFC's Octagon.

It worked for James Toney, so why not for a guy who was once one of the top competitors at 205 in PRIDE?

According to Arona, the first meeting didn't yield the results he wanted, so he's taking the "if at first you don't succeed" approach.

"I told him I wanted to fight on his event I and wanted to know what the odds of fighting on UFC were. He was pretty cool, told me he liked me and it could be a good idea, but that he would have to check it with UFC’s matchmaker, Joe Silva. My idea is to get back there, watch another event and talk to him again. There were no promises made, what happened [last time] was [we had] a nice talk about something that could happen in the future."

Still recovering from a knee injury he sustained in his decision win over Marvin Eastman in Bitetti Combat last September, Arona says that White mentioned he would like to see him take another bout before deciding on whether or not to sign him.

“Due to my knee injury, I’ll only be able to fight on the end of the year. [Dana] commented something about me doing a fight before joining UFC’s crew, but there was no promise."

Considering the overall lack of dominance fighters from PRIDE have demonstrated in the UFC, coupled with the fact that that Arona is 31 years old, 2-3 in his last five fights and has only fought three times since 2006, I can understand the UFC's reluctance to jump at the opportunity to sign him, but something in me wants to see the rubbermatch between him and Shogun.

http://www.cagepotato.com/ricardo-ar...oneys-playbook

I don't get it. Arona was the fucking man in PRIDE. He has beat a who's who of PRIDE fighters. Horn 2X, Hendo, Ninja Rua, Saku, Wandy, Overeem, I mean why does he have to practically beg to get his spot. Sure he may not be the most exciting fighter at times, but he wins. If being a exciting fighter mattered in terms of roster spots, Sam Stout and Clay Guida would be the fucking G.O.A.T's.

How is being only 31 a problem? They say that like he is ancient. He is still plenty young to make an impact on the UFC LHW division. Kimbo got signed, James Toney got signed, Gilbert Yvel got signed, hell, even the person Arona beat in his last fight, Marvin Eastman got signed back in 07. All of those people were very questionable signings, yet one of PRIDES best has to fight tooth and nail to get a fight. I just don't get it.

As for being 2-3 in his last five fights, those losses were to Shogun(#1 LHW), and Wandy(the LHW GOAT IMO), someone he already beat, and Sokoudjou, who IMO is a good fighter who's reputation has just been shot to death after being stopped my Minowman(Still don't know how that happend)and was matched up with insane competition after his KO's of Diet Nog, and Arona. Arona is still a GREAT fighter. I just can't wrap my head around why Dana is acting like he ain't shit.

Cro Cop Update:

He hasn't decided whether he's going to retire or not, but he says that he would need "big" fights to make him come back. He specifically named these guys as the opponents he wants, in this exact order:

Randy Couture
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Gabriel Gonzaga

I would definitely be down to see all those fights.

Couture vs. Cro Cop was originally supposed to go down after the Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight, and it was going to be the biggest Heavyweight fight in UFC history up to that point, but we all know what happened in the Gonzaga fight to keep the fight from coming to fruition. Were Cro Cop and Couture to meet today, I think the same thing would happen today that would have happened back then: Randy would pin Cro Cop up against the cage for 3 straight rounds and win a decision (5 Rounds if the fight happened when Couture was champ). There's a chance that Cro Cop is too big and strong to let Couture do that to him... but I kind of doubt that.

Cro Cop vs. Big Nog would be interesting, and if it went down I would predict Cro Cop wins by knockout.

Cro Cop vs. Gonzaga is perhaps the fight I would like to see the most, so Cro Cop could FINALLY avenge that loss. I really believe he would if they met today... so of course that's something I'd love to see. Hopefully if Cro Cop does decide to come back that fight gets put together.

Per Cheick Kongos facebook he is back, ready to fight and has an opponent set up in October.

He'll be taking on Travis Browne at UFC 120 in London. Should be an exciting fight and I'm hoping Kongo can put a nice string of wins together and get back into the title picture. He's one of my favorite fighters and if works on his ground game he can be a top heavyweight.

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Tim Kennedy, Muhammed Lawal vs. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and KJ Noons vs. Jorge Gurgel are in the works for StrikeForce's August 21st card.

Jacare vs. Kennedy will either be for the vacant Middleweight Title, or the first fight in the hypothetical tournament. I think the former is much more likely to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I think Strikeforce just isn't competent enough to run an 8-man tournament. If injuries occur or people have to pull out for whatever reasons... SF just would not have an answer for it. All that plus Dan Henderson and Cung Le refusing to take part of it (in Hendo's case he's moving up to Light Heavyweight, which I think is the right move for him anyway), Strikeforce simply cannot pull this tournament off.

Besides, Coker wants Jacare to be champion anyway, so just do this already and get it over with. Kennedy showed a lot in his last fight, but he's not in Jacare's league. Should be an easy win for the guy.

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Tim Kennedy, Muhammed Lawal vs. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and KJ Noons vs. Jorge Gurgel are in the works for StrikeForce's August 21st card.

Jacare vs. Kennedy will either be for the vacant Middleweight Title, or the first fight in the hypothetical tournament. I think the former is much more likely to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I think Strikeforce just isn't competent enough to run an 8-man tournament. If injuries occur or people have to pull out for whatever reasons... SF just would not have an answer for it. All that plus Dan Henderson and Cung Le refusing to take part of it (in Hendo's case he's moving up to Light Heavyweight, which I think is the right move for him anyway), Strikeforce simply cannot pull this tournament off.

Besides, Coker wants Jacare to be champion anyway, so just do this already and get it over with. Kennedy showed a lot in his last fight, but he's not in Jacare's league. Should be an easy win for the guy.

I have always found Jorge Gurgel to be an asshole but my personal feelings aside it would be nice to see him back in the cage and fighting seeing as he has been away for around a year or so. The guy has some awesome skills, if he only knew how to use them, and always puts on an entertaining fight. I am all for seeing him fight Noons since it will give Noons a nice challenge, if Gurgel is smart and uses his jiu jitsu. If Gurgel tries to stand he will get devoured by KJ. Either way I am interested in seeing that fight.

Jacare should get another win against Kennedy. Jacare has been one of the hottest Middleweight's in the world for the last year and a half or so and I don't see Kennedy being the one to end that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back