• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MLB Thread - 2010

Good series with the Cards. "The Freak" is now 4-0 and looks great. He's ready to pick up a 3rd straight Cy Young. You can't say that he's not the best pitcher right now in the MLB. He continues to mow down batters, no exceptions. Zito looked great on Saturday. Its early I know, but wow what a start to the season he has had. He actually got his name chanted! He deserves it tho. He's had a great start and I'm happy to see him doing well.

One thing that's irratating is the fact that once again no runs for Cain. Now Brad Penny pitched fantastic so I won't take anything away from him. But the Giants for whatever reason can't seem to socre for Cain. It has to be frustrating for him to pitch well and get no help. The Giants need to figure out something to improve this offense, otherwise the pitchers will be worn down like they were last year and the playoffs will be out of reach.

I agree with 88 in that it was a great series, but I wanna talk about something else. Since when is Ryan Howard worth $125 million? I mean c'mon the guy strikes out 200 times a year and he gets A-Rod esque type money, I don't think so. The guy is already 30 something too. I never knew that one guy could fuck his hometown, but Howard just did, if he is "worth" $125 million, then what is Albert Pujols worth? Way to go Ryan congrats on the payday but you just fucked the Cardinals.

I agree with 88 in that it was a great series, but I wanna talk about something else. Since when is Ryan Howard worth $125 million? I mean c'mon the guy strikes out 200 times a year and he gets A-Rod esque type money, I don't think so. The guy is already 30 something too. I never knew that one guy could fuck his hometown, but Howard just did, if he is "worth" $125 million, then what is Albert Pujols worth? Way to go Ryan congrats on the payday but you just fucked the Cardinals.

Ryan Howards last 4 years:
2006: 58 HR, 149 RBI, .313 avg, NL MVP vote: 1st
2007: 47 HR, 136 RBI, .268 avg, NL MVP vote: 5th
2008: 48 HR, 146 RBI, .251 avg, NL MVP vote: 2nd
2009: 45 HR, 141 RBI, .279 avg, NL MVP vote: 3rd

Also, Howard has improved defensively at 1st base in recent years. The sumbitch DESERVES 125 over 5. Yes, he strikes out, but his plusses FAR outweigh his minuses. Both are of similar age, but Pujols has played 3 full seasons more then Howard in the bigs.

Alex Rodriguez is in a 10 year, (approximately) $300 million contract, getting him around $30 million a season. Albert Pujols DESERVES a similar contract to A-Rod, maybe like an 8 year, $240 contract. He will probably get an 8 year, $200 million from the Cards, which is acceptable. Welcome to the real world of baseball, where teams actually PAY their star players. You knew this day would come.

And lets be honest, "hometown" means shit nowadays, this isn't the first, and it damn sure won't be the last time someone "fucks" their hometown.

Ryan Howards last 4 years:
2006: 58 HR, 149 RBI, .313 avg, NL MVP vote: 1st
2007: 47 HR, 136 RBI, .268 avg, NL MVP vote: 5th
2008: 48 HR, 146 RBI, .251 avg, NL MVP vote: 2nd
2009: 45 HR, 141 RBI, .279 avg, NL MVP vote: 3rd

Also, Howard has improved defensively at 1st base in recent years. The sumbitch DESERVES 125 over 5. Yes, he strikes out, but his plusses FAR outweigh his minuses. Both are of similar age, but Pujols has played 3 full seasons more then Howard in the bigs.

Alex Rodriguez is in a 10 year, (approximately) $300 million contract, getting him around $30 million a season. Albert Pujols DESERVES a similar contract to A-Rod, maybe like an 8 year, $240 contract. He will probably get an 8 year, $200 million from the Cards, which is acceptable. Welcome to the real world of baseball, where teams actually PAY their star players. You knew this day would come.

And lets be honest, "hometown" means shit nowadays, this isn't the first, and it damn sure won't be the last time someone "fucks" their hometown.

I don't think a guy that strikes out more than he gets base hits is worth 125 million, he also can't hit opposite field, only had a batting average over .300 one time, hits less than 10 triples a season, and scores half his runs with the longball. Yes he has worked on his defense but he's no Gold Glover yet. He is a great power hitter but has too many holes in his game for 125 million. Not every team whipes their ass with Ben Franklin's face like the Yanks so yea I'm a little pissed about this because of the money Albert is going to get, and deserves. I'm more worried about how this will effect the rest of the team since Holliday just got a big contract. I'm just worried about my team not having the money to put a great product on the field.

THANK GOD Jon Lester broke out of his slump tonight. This seems to be a problem with him now, where he starts off real slow, but slowly and surely comes on strong afterwards. Hopefully they get this solved with him, as he should be on all season... there shouldn't be an automatic few bad starts from him to work his kinks out to start the season. Either way, what a performance tonight. 7 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 11 K's. He is most certainly on now, and he'll look like the potential Cy Young candidate he was being talked about as being before the season.

Injuries and ineffectiveness: Two things hurting the Red Sox right now. Ellsbury is out with fractured ribs, and Marco Scutaro has filled in quite well at leadoff in his absence. However, the Sox can't afford to keep starting Bill Hall and Jeremy Hermida (who just like his overall career has been hot and cold) in left field. I'm the only person I know who likes JD Drew because of his ability to have a respectable average and an insanely good on base percentage. I can't defend him at all this year as he's been putrid as a whole. Mike Cameron, I hope never returns from the DL. He's been bad overall in the action he's seen, and that includes for the reason we got him to begin with, for his defense. Darnell McDonald came out of nowhere, and he's putting up the numbers JD Drew should be putting up. He better have a permanent home on this roster for as much as he can ride out this hot streak. Perhaps this was the opportunity he needed that he never really had.

A few more spots of ineffectiveness: Josh Beckett not living up to the huge extension the team gave him. Victor Martinez couldn't throw out anyone's grandmother. Pedroia's not getting on base like he's capable of. Bill Hall fucking sucks and belongs in AAA.

David Ortiz... I think it's time to revisit the discussion of outright releasing him. I love him, and everything he's done for this team from 2004-2007. However, the writing is on the wall here. He's been very ineffective now over the last couple of seasons. One thing I noticed when I went to a game last week: He's lost bat speed. He's nowhere close to the feared clutch hitter we had for so long.

Now he's getting pinch-hit for. He's hitting .160. He's not getting on base. Something has to give here. I think the Red Sox will wind up getting a defensive minded catcher, and I think Victor Martinez will go to DH. Adrian Beltre's doing just fine at 3B right now, as is Youkilis at first. Mike Lowell will continue to be the 1B/3B/DH Supersub. Where would that leave Ortiz? There's no use for him if he can't hit. Things are going to get ugly unless he breaks out of this slump, miraculously.

I don't think a guy that strikes out more than he gets base hits is worth 125 million, he also can't hit opposite field, only had a batting average over .300 one time,
He doesn't strike out more then he gets on base, but yes, he strikes out a lot. But never has he struck out 200 times in a season. And it really doesn't matter if he can hit the opposite field (Mark Texiera can't, and he damn sure is worth the money he got). And he can hit he ball in the air the opposite way (and hit it out). Most times when defenses play a guy to pull the ball, they play the outfield straight on (or even the other way somewhat), because once the ball's past he infield, it can go either way.

hits less than 10 triples a season,
You gotta be fucking kidding me, man. TRIPLES? He's a power hitter for fucks sake, why is he supposed to get triples? He's not Jose Reyes.

and scores half his runs with the longball. Yes he has worked on his defense but he's no Gold Glover yet. He is a great power hitter but has too many holes in his game for 125 million.
And he consistently hits 45-50 homers a season, so if he scores half of his runs with the longball, then there's 100 runs a year, which is pretty fucking good. No, he isn't a gold glover yet, but you don't have to be, and gold gloves are the most subjective thing in baseball, because numbers cannot convey defense. The Phillies can afford to pay him what he is worth, so he got 125. He is the most dangerous hitter on one of (if not the) most dangerous offense in the National League.

Not every team whipes their ass with Ben Franklin's face like the Yanks so yea I'm a little pissed about this because of the money Albert is going to get, and deserves. I'm more worried about how this will effect the rest of the team since Holliday just got a big contract. I'm just worried about my team not having the money to put a great product on the field.

Team Payrolls:
Yankees: $206 Million
Red Sox: $162 million
Cubs: $146 Million
Phillies: $141
Mets: $132
*courtesy of CBSSports.com

Yes, the Yankees team payroll is highest in baseball, but it's not like nobody else comes even close. The Red Sox (whom half of the world seems to think is a small market team) spend almost as much as the Yankees.

And it isn't like the Steinbrenners are the richest owners in baseball. There are other owners who have more money, but don't give a shit enough to put that money into the team (Click this link for all of Baseballs Billionaires, it's Forbes, so you know it is legit). Are the Cardinals a case like that, maybe not, but neither are the Twins, and they didn't have a problem signing Joe Mauer (a top 5 player in the league) to a monster contract.

Unfortunately for the Cardinals, it's Put up or Shut up time come this offseason. Pujols will finally be getting paid close to what he deserves, and the Cards WILL be the team that gives it to him, because they cannot afford to let him walk away. If they CHOOSE not to spend any more money after that (because they just HAD to waste all that money on Matt Holliday), that is their own damn fault. Maybe try spending some more of the shitload of money that he owner keeps in his back fucking pocket.

16lfdvq.gif

These are the newest helmets these days. David Wright was the first one i saw to wear it, but it seems like more and more players are using them. Now i hear that some minor league teams are requiring their players to wear them and many of those players are upset about it. They feel they are being treated like kids who cant take care of themselves. I could see MLB requiring these helmets and the PA not liking that decision too much.

thoughts?

16lfdvq.gif

These are the newest helmets these days. David Wright was the first one i saw to wear it, but it seems like more and more players are using them. Now i hear that some minor league teams are requiring their players to wear them and many of those players are upset about it. They feel they are being treated like kids who cant take care of themselves. I could see MLB requiring these helmets and the PA not liking that decision too much.

thoughts?

From what I recall, it isn't minor league organizations, rather MLB requiring all Minor League players to wear them. It is a way to get them acclimated to them so they WANT to wear them when they get to the show, where they are suggested, but not mandatory yet. These new helmets, while they do look pretty funny, are designed to help prevent concussions. Concussions are such an important thing to protect, that if DOCTORS and SCIENTISTS (whom designed the helmets) feel that this new technology will help prevent them, or lessen their impact on the player, then players should shut the fuck up and wear the things. "They can take care of themselves?" Then why do players get hit in the head with a pitch?

MLB WILL require the new helmets, and hopefully sooner rather then later. The PA will say "we don't like how they feel on our heads," and wear them anyway, because they will help prevent concussions. 2 years later, the players will forget about the archaic old helmets, and love the new ones.

Well the Cardinals just got bitch slapped by the Phillies in their series. No excuses from me, the Redbirds pitching wasn't up to par for this series, hopefully they can bounce back. Big story out of this series is the two big bats, Howard and Pujols both struggled. Side note though Jaime Garcia is doing a damn fine job replacing Joel Pinero this season, the kid has has a 1.24 ERA if my memory serves me right, and if the kid keeps it up maybe he can get some consideration for Rookie of the Year.

Edit: The Cardinals will bounce back because I just realized we have the Pirates next and I think the Nationals after that.

Well by the looks of it, it looks like my Marlins are about to get swept by San Francisco. Now, this right now is looking scary for the National League, as the Giants pitched Lincecum, Zito, and Cain. Lincecum had the worst start of the 3, giving up 3 runs in 7 innings. San Francisco is 100% legit this year, and I see them getting a big bat at the trade deadline to help them out.

San Francisco could be a surprise team to make it the World Series this year, I know it is early, but if their pitching is healthy, and their lineup keeps producing, this team has it all.

Well by the looks of it, it looks like my Marlins are about to get swept by San Francisco. Now, this right now is looking scary for the National League, as the Giants pitched Lincecum, Zito, and Cain. Lincecum had the worst start of the 3, giving up 3 runs in 7 innings. San Francisco is 100% legit this year, and I see them getting a big bat at the trade deadline to help them out.

San Francisco could be a surprise team to make it the World Series this year, I know it is early, but if their pitching is healthy, and their lineup keeps producing, this team has it all.

The Giants are a big threat for the playoffs, if they can make it. People can't sleep on the Colorado Rockies. They can hit pretty well, their pitching staff is off to a good start, and Ubaldo Jimenez looks to be a star in the making.

The Giants NEED a bat, big time, if they want to make a run. The only guy that even remotely scares you is Pablo Sandoval. If they could get another bat for that lineup somehow, they could be a HUGE factor in the NL West.

Now, my Yankees, on the other hand, are having no trouble so far. Yes, they are in 2nd place, but only because Tampa Bay has forgotten how to lose. The Yankees starting rotation (well, 4 of the 5) have been dominant, only losing once (Sabathia). Phil Hughes has really shown himself to be a top pitcher for this team, and Andy Pettitte has been as good as he has been in years (and he has been good). Robinson Cano, who was named the player of the month for April, has really stepped up his game, and is reaching the Potential Batting Champ level that everybody projected him for.

The biggest surprise though, has been the amazing play of the 2 kids, Brett Gardner and Francisco Cervelli. Brett Gardner is batting .346, with a .430 on base and 13 steals, as an every day outfielder playing good defense. Cervelli, the 2nd catcher, has been hitting the ball well, playing phenomenal defense, and calling awesome games. In fact, there was talk of using Cervelli behind the plate more, and DHing Posada, because of Cervelli's production. Oh, and Cervelli isn't even the 2nd best catching prospect for the Yankees, so the future still looks pretty damn good.

Well, shocked nobody has mentioned this yet, but Dallas Braden just threw a PERFECT game against arguably the best lineup in baseball in the Tampa Bay Rays. If I am not mistaken he was the pitcher who called out A-Rod for walking over the mound, which I agree with.

Now, Braden is the 19th pitcher in history to throw a perfect game, so is Braden a future star, as he has pitched a lot of solid outings, or this is just a big fluke?

Cardinals finished up a three game set with th Pirates earlier today, taking 2 of 3. It's nice to see them get back on track after the horrible showing against the Phillies. Up next is the Astros, maybe FTS and I can bullshit about the games, I'm going to the game on the 18th against the Nationals so it should be an offense oriented game and alot of fun.

My San Diego Padres currently have the best record by two games in the NL, and only the D-Rays have a better record in all of baseball.

After attending all the Padre/Giant games in Frisco the last three days I have to say that the Padres are more than for real, watching Latos pitch yesterday reminded me of a young Peavy, but better, Latos has the stuff and it looks like he's really starting to put it together (still a rookie), and lets not forget that Latos is the 5th starter on this Padre club.

Now, I know its hard for a lot of you to give the proper respect that the padres deserve, maybe you've been brainwashed by ESPN, or some other east coast media outlet. All I ever hear is how weak the NL West is, look at the NL playoffs the last Five years, the NL west has had two teams in the playoffs four out of those five years. (but the NL West is sooooooooo WEAK) Lets get our facts straight, the NL West is the most well rounded division in all of baseball (even more so the beloved AL East).

So lets start showing some respect to the San Diego Padres, and the NL West, cause we're not going anywhere.

My San Diego Padres currently have the best record by two games in the NL, and only the D-Rays have a better record in all of baseball.

After attending all the Padre/Giant games in Frisco the last three days I have to say that the Padres are more than for real, watching Latos pitch yesterday reminded me of a young Peavy, but better, Latos has the stuff and it looks like he's really starting to put it together (still a rookie), and lets not forget that Latos is the 5th starter on this Padre club.

Now, I know its hard for a lot of you to give the proper respect that the padres deserve, maybe you've been brainwashed by ESPN, or some other east coast media outlet. All I ever hear is how weak the NL West is, look at the NL playoffs the last Five years, the NL west has had two teams in the playoffs four out of those five years. (but the NL West is sooooooooo WEAK) Lets get our facts straight, the NL West is the most well rounded division in all of baseball (even more so the beloved AL East).

So lets start showing some respect to the San Diego Padres, and the NL West, cause we're not going anywhere.

The Padres are a good team, as the NL West is a good division. We just can't seem to beat the Pads at all. A shutout loss with the only run coming from...the pitcher Latos.

The Giants right now need bats. DeRosa is injured again. We just can't hit. The pitching is there. Hell Sanchez pitched a great game. But until we get some hitting, we just aren't going anywhere. But big ups to the Padres. They are playing better than many expected. The race is going to be a good one.

The Padres are a good team, as the NL West is a good division. We just can't seem to beat the Pads at all. A shutout loss with the only run coming from...the pitcher Latos.

The Giants right now need bats. DeRosa is injured again. We just can't hit. The pitching is there. Hell Sanchez pitched a great game. But until we get some hitting, we just aren't going anywhere. But big ups to the Padres. They are playing better than many expected. The race is going to be a good one.

Giants definitely have one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball, but there offense has been the problem over the last three years, pretty much since the days of Barry. DeRosa will sure things up a bit, but the giants are still lacking in the center of the lineup, though if they where to change the lineup a bit I think it would help the giants a whole lot. Rowand should not be leading off, I don't know what Bochy is thinking, but as long as the giants hit just a little bit they'll be in it all the way.

Went to the Cards-Nats game yesterday, o man was it great. Got to see Carpenter pitch 8 great innings only giving up two solo shots, and a Pudge Rodriguez pinch hit. There really is nothing like a good day at the park, especially at 70 degrees in St. Louis. The win yeaterday kept the Cardinals in second place because the Reds won aswell but hopefully the Cards can get back on track and out of the funk they have been in the past week or so. Holliday hitting third might help a little to get him a few more pitches to hit since Pujols is hitting behind him giving Matt the protection he needs.

David Freese is the Cardinals rookie 3rd baseman and I'd have to say I'm fairly impressed with him so far. He has a .307 average and 20 something RBI already this year and could give the Chosen One Jason Heyward a run for the Rookie of the Year in the NL.

So the Giants were swept by the A's. That's never good. Ever. And the Giants only scored-count them-1 run. Yes 1 run the entire series. This offense is a freakin joke. Matt Cain pitches acomplete game, only an unearned run scored, and that's enough to win. Cain gets a loss because of an unearned run. Then they manage 3 hits in another shutout yesterday. This is a huge problem.

I'm not sure what the management is thinking. I understand that we have one of the top 3 pitching staffs in baseball. But if they think that this offense only need 3 runs to win games, then they are fools. Because they can't even do that. This is too good of a staff to be wasted with this offense. Its unbelievably frustrating to watch this team struggle to get a run. They need to make some trade, bring up Posey or something, because if they don't, the playoffs will be out of reach.

MLB umpire Jim Joyce better pray that he isn't scheduled to appear at Comerica Park ever again. He FUCKED Andres Gallaraga out of a perfect game with a severely blown call that would have ended the game on a play at first that clearly should have been the last out of the third perfect game of the year, and first in Tigers history.

MLB umpire Jim Joyce better pray that he isn't scheduled to appear at Comerica Park ever again. He FUCKED Andres Gallaraga out of a perfect game with a severely blown call that would have ended the game on a play at first that clearly should have been the last out of the third perfect game of the year, and first in Tigers history.

You really hit the nail on the head. It was such an obvious call and one would think that there was no possible way to fuck it up.

From MLB site:

"It was the biggest call of my career," an emotional Joyce told reporters, "and I kicked it. I just cost that kid a perfect game."

So my question is, why doesn't MLB intervene and right this wrong. The "hit" had zero impact on the outcome of the game. Maybe wishful thinking on my part...Anyway here's the link to the video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100602&content_id=10727590&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Hey, I give Joyce mad props for admitting he eff'd up. Honestly, that doesn't happen. He admitted he messed up, and he apologized greatly.

Question is... Think Bud Selig, for the sake of the game, reverses that hit, and gives it to Gallaraga? Personally, it would mean nothing to me. (I know that had it happened to me, I would have had Gallaraga's same reaction. He was the classiest of all the people involved.)
Also, how does this change the use of Instant-Replay? In something, like this, it could have / should have been used. Granted, it's a large complaint that games today are very long. (3.5+ hours) Adding something like the use of IR can, and certainly would, add several minutes to the game(s).
Also, another sad thing, he looked like he was about to punch-out the runner at first, he then hesitated, and waved him safe... Weird.

Besides it being Bobby Cox's farewell season, this might just be my favorite players to, Chipper Jones. Now he has said at the end of last year if he doesn't perform at a top level he would retire so he's not holding the team back from moving forward. With only batting .233 with 4 HR's and 23 RBI's its definitely not performing at a top level, but he has been a little banged up this season which is nothing new for him. But I respect him that much more if he does hold true to his word, most players will just keep going to collect the paycheck and seeing that he would be walking away from 28 million over the next 2 seasons, thats pretty impressive! A lot will depend on his decision on how the 2nd half of the season goes for him. I just wish the injury bug didn't happen to him because he would've been able to play a few more years and hit two big milestones 3000 hits and 500 HR's.

White Sox go for win number 11 today against the Cubs. They started playing stellar ball right before their series with the Cubs two weeks ago, and have just dominated in interleague play. The pitching is performing like fans expected at the start, defense is playing extremely well, and they are getting timely hitting. It's an overall team performance, and with them performing well, and a win today hopefully, will be 1.5 games back from the Twins, whereas they were 8 1/2 or 9 about 3 weeks ago. It should make for a fun summer in the division race.

In other news, Carlos Zambrano was suspended indefinitely for his tirade after the first inning yesterday against the Sox. He gave up 4 runs in the first, and blew his shit in the dugout, even yelling at Derrek Lee that he should have dove for Juan Pierre's double down the line. He was playing in due to a possible bunt, and couldn't make the play. Deal with it Carlos. Your first inning sucked, look at yourself and your pitches.

This brings me to another point. Zambrano getting suspended for his actions, and it is about fuckin' time. Not even as a Sox fan am I saying this, but as a fan of baseball in general. His attitude is one of the shittiest I have seen in baseball in a while. I like that he gets emotional, but he takes it way too far. He hasn't pitched well the past year or two, and I truly think it is because he got his money, and doesn't need to. He isn't worth the $91 mil that they spent on him in 2007. He needs to get along with the team, not alienate them.

Damn it, if my Tigers could ever go .500 on the road then we would be in the division lead right now. I think they may be one of the top 5 teams at home (record-wise) but on the road they are absolutely atrocious, with now 9 games below .500. However, according to what my dad said, we got screwed out of last nights game, at least from tying it, which really pisses me off. Scherzer pitched a great game for us too, but Zumaya brought a poor performance, which is odd considering he's been one of the best relievers in the Tigers pen this season. Hopefully we can at least salvage this last game with Atlanta then take 2 of 3 from the Twins to end this road trip at 4-5. At this point, I'll take it. Hopefully they begin to turn the corner now that they will be able to get to have the DH back as well, which the Tigers are really begging for. And now that the White Sox have jumped back up in the standings it looks to be a three horse race in the Central with my Tigers, the Twins and White Sox. Hopefully we can keep it up at Comerica and turn it up on the road if we have any plans for a postseason.

Let's go Tigers!

O sthe Giants are on the road after finishing up a terrible 1-5 homestand, losing 5 straight. That includes a sweep at home at the hands of the hated Dodgers. Well, judging by terrible the Giants fans have been, I don't know if the Dodgers are hated anymore. A quick story. I hate the Dodgers. Was at the game Tuesday, and this freakin Dodger fan (there was more of them there than there should have been), keeps yelling let's go Dodgers and all kinds of garbage. So I turned around and told him to shut up, you know, get fired up about an opposing fan talking trash in your stadium. Well what happens? My fellow Giants fans start attacking me! They tell me shut up, turn around and watch the game etc. I was shocked. I can't believe what has happened to this rivalry, from a fans perspective. It sucks big ones.

Anyways that was a rant on the fans. The team itself has been horrible. Sabean is just not the GM that can put out a talented lineup. He knows his pitchers, but for as great as he's been with our pitching staff, he's as bad with our lineup. Our pitching staff can't continue to pitch lights out every game. And we saw that this series. And when that happens, out offense is nowhere near capable of bailing out the team.

But the Giants did something right. They traded Bengie Molina to the Rangers and now have Buster Posey starting at catcher. Bengie did a lot of good for the Giants while he was here, but it was time to let the young guy start behind the plate. With a big 11 game roadtrip starting today in Colorado, this is the time for the Giants to man up and show they are contenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back