MLB Offseason Thread

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
The shortest offseason of any sport has already started. Some big names are out there. Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Jason Werth. Of course, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox will be involved in basically every free agent talks.

Outside of free agents, teams have some decisions to make with their rosters. The Yankee have to figure out how much to pay their aging captain. The World Champs Giants need to figure out what to do with free agents like Huff, Ross, Burrell, Renteria. The Rangers need to figure out how much they can offer Lee without sacrificing too much.

A lot will happen this offseason. Disscuss all trades, free agent signing, team moves here.

Be really interesting to see who picks up Manny Ramirez.

He's a great hitter.....that is, when he feels like playing. When he doesn't, he's shown (in Boston) that he's not above faking an injury to take a week off. Of course, that's after having 5 months off during the Winter. But hey! Everyone wants a summer vacation, don't they? And the fact that baseball is a summer game?......so what?

Plus, if you're a major league team that wants a guy who strikes out on purpose in a one run game because he's annoyed he was sent to pinch hit when he was promised the day off, then Manny's the guy for you!

Obviously, someone will take him, but it's going to be interesting to see what they'll pay. He's "earned" $20 million the past few years and I doubt he's going to want to take less.

It would be great if no one wants him on their team and he decides what he really wants to do is retire.

Be really interesting to see who picks up Manny Ramirez.

He's a great hitter.....that is, when he feels like playing. When he doesn't, he's shown (in Boston) that he's not above faking an injury to take a week off. Of course, that's after having 5 months off during the Winter. But hey! Everyone wants a summer vacation, don't they? And the fact that baseball is a summer game?......so what?

Plus, if you're a major league team that wants a guy who strikes out on purpose in a one run game because he's annoyed he was sent to pinch hit when he was promised the day off, then Manny's the guy for you!

Obviously, someone will take him, but it's going to be interesting to see what they'll pay. He's "earned" $20 million the past few years and I doubt he's going to want to take less.

It would be great if no one wants him on their team and he decides what he really wants to do is retire.

I completely forgot about Manny. I can't think he will get anything close to $20 million. I wonder if he will accept anything less. He is a giant headache when he's not happy, and has shown he can be a huge distraction. If you can get him at the right price, then you pick him up. But who knows what the right price is or if Manny would even take that. It will be interesting to see the market for him.

The Tigers were decimated with injuries all of last year, and now get a bunch of big contracts off the books. Magglio, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis, and Laird are all off. The Tigers actually get more then 60 million off the books, so they have the money to make a big play for at least one big free agent, and then probably a middle tier one. Both Adam Dunn and Carl Crawford are going to be their main targets. Obviously they aren't going to get both, but both would be valuable for different reasons. Dunn would be the power bat that could protect Cabrera at the #5 spot and get many RBI opportunities, while Crawford would be a great defensive asset covering LF with Jackson in CF, and could be both a good #2 or #3 hitter.

Both do have their flaws, Dunn would have to be a pretty much full time DH (since he plays the same spot of Cabrera) while Crawford would be getting huge money (more then Dunn). If they had to go for one, I'd go for Dunn, since he'd be almost guaranteed 35+ HR's and 100+ RBI's batting behind the best player in the AL. Crawford would be a great defensive player (not to mention great threat hitting after Jackson) but I think his asking price would be too steep. Besides, Raburn has probably played himself into a starting spot after the way he played last year, and the Tigers could either have Boesch or bring back Magglio as the other OF.

As for their other needs, bullpen help is a must. There's a few Rays bullpen players that'd be out there, and they need at least 1, possibly 2 arms. A back end starter (such as Jake Westbrook or Jon Garland) would be nice after Verlander/Porcello/Scherzer, but should be addressed after getting a Back End reliever.

It should be an interesting offseason for my Tigers, either way. Hopefully we get at least a few free agents to help this team become a contender.

The Tigers were decimated with injuries all of last year, and now get a bunch of big contracts off the books. Magglio, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis, and Laird are all off. The Tigers actually get more then 60 million off the books, so they have the money to make a big play for at least one big free agent, and then probably a middle tier one. Both Adam Dunn and Carl Crawford are going to be their main targets. Obviously they aren't going to get both, but both would be valuable for different reasons. Dunn would be the power bat that could protect Cabrera at the #5 spot and get many RBI opportunities, while Crawford would be a great defensive asset covering LF with Jackson in CF, and could be both a good #2 or #3 hitter.

Both do have their flaws, Dunn would have to be a pretty much full time DH (since he plays the same spot of Cabrera) while Crawford would be getting huge money (more then Dunn). If they had to go for one, I'd go for Dunn, since he'd be almost guaranteed 35+ HR's and 100+ RBI's batting behind the best player in the AL. Crawford would be a great defensive player (not to mention great threat hitting after Jackson) but I think his asking price would be too steep. Besides, Raburn has probably played himself into a starting spot after the way he played last year, and the Tigers could either have Boesch or bring back Magglio as the other OF.

I can see where your going with that. As a Giants fan, I would love to see them add someone like Crawford. The problem is that for most teams, like the Tigers and Rays, is that Crawford is going to want too much money. And either a) that's too much to where to could hamper other signings, or b) a team is scared/can't afford to have a big investment not pan out. I bring up option b because that's the Giant's situation. After the Zito mistake, I think the Giants are afraid to give out such a huge contract to a player. That's why, as much as I would like Crawford in my outfield, Werth is our realistic option. I think the Tigers are in the same boat. They can't afford to sign a guy to such a big contract and not have money for other signings. That's why his most likely destinations are N.Y or Boston, as they can afford to make that signing. Dunn would be a good option though for the Tigers.

As a Twins fan, I think this could be a really important offseason for the team. They've lost 12 straight playoff games and are now going to have Mauer get $23 million per year, which is about 1/5 of the payroll. They'll also have to get ready to pony up major money to keep Liriano and Delmon around, as well as figure out what to do with soon-to-be free agents Pavano and Thome.

Imo, you have to keep Pavano. He was really solid pretty much all season in a rotation which was, aside from him and Liriano, composed of completely interchangeable pitchers. I loved Thome and it would be great to see him get his 600th HR in a Twins uniform, but left-handed power isn't really a need with this team, assuming Morneau can stay healthy and Kubel doesn't get traded somewhere.

I'd like to see them go after a right-handed bat and a front-line starter, but given the Twins' reluctance to give up talent and their having to probably cut payroll (which will likely mean a middle infield of Trevor Plouffe and Alexi Casilla next year), I don't see it happening.

But hey, at least we have gorgeous Target Field.

The Dodgers have resigned one of their free agent pitchers, Hiroki Kuroda to a 1 year deal, worth $12 million. It was said that he been pondering a return to Japan, but instead has choosen to stick with the Dodgers. Last year he went 11-13 with a 3.39 ERA, with career highs in strikeouts, wins, and ERA. The Dodgers now has Lilly, Billingsely, Kershaw, and Kuroda as their rotation, which is not a bad rotation. Pitching is pretty good here in the West, and the Dodgers have a decent starting 4. No word, though, on if they will or can make any major signings this offseason.

So the Braves just traded Omar Infante and Pitcher Mike Dunn for Dan Uggla. Pretty good move if they can sign Uggla to a long term deal, something the Marlins couldn't do. Sucks to see Infante go, but I'd much rather have Uggla, as he adds some power to the Braves lineup. Now they just need that power bat in the outfield and they'll be looking pretty good.

Though it sound like Uggla wants a deal that he's come up with, I see no way he doesn't sign a long term deal with the Braves. A great organization with a good team in place should be enough to get him there. And it was a great trade for both parties involved. The Braves did need power, and Uggla will prvide that.

In other news, the Tigers have signed relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit to a 3 year, $16.5 million deal. With Tampa Bay last season as the setup man, he pitched in 63 games while having a great ERA of 1.34, striking out 75. He gave up 10 runs (9 earned) and 11 walks. This is a good pick up for the Tigers, and as Megatron said, was a must pickup for them. They got their backend reliever and now can focus on a bat or and backend starter.

anyone think that manny could go back to the red sox? I mean the sox are looking for an outfielder and couldnt get upton, and if crawford and werth are unreachable i could see them possibly taking a shot at manny...i know he left on bad terms but they attempted to get damon, and we all know how he left boston. Just a thought.

Nah, Manny will never be back in Boston. He's burned far more bridges than Damon ever did and wouldn't be worth shit much longer anyway. All in all I think Manny will find some team that will take him for a year contract. Man Ram should be living on those until he retires.

anyone think that manny could go back to the red sox? I mean the sox are looking for an outfielder and couldnt get upton, and if crawford and werth are unreachable i could see them possibly taking a shot at manny...i know he left on bad terms but they attempted to get damon, and we all know how he left boston. Just a thought.
1. Many is NEVER going back to Boston. He is despised there by seemingly not only the fans but the players as well.
2. Manny isn't even an outfielder anymore, he's a DH. Last I checked David Ortiz is still there for one more year, so that means there isn't a position for him.
3. Since when are Crawford and Werth unreachable? Everyone I've heard has said Crawford is going to the Angels, but then they all say Werth is going to the Red Sox, who can EASILY afford him, need him, and Werth will be in Boston in 2011.
4. The Upton ship hasn't necessarily sailed yet. There's still a chance the Sox (or Yankees or any team for that matter) get him.
5. They did try to re-acquire Damon by claiming him off waivers. However, DAMON refused it (he was contractually allowed to). There's still bad blood there (and rightfully so).

Basically what I'm saying is there's NO CHANCE IN HELL of Manny being in Boston this season.

1. Many is NEVER going back to Boston. He is despised there by seemingly not only the fans but the players as well.
2. Manny isn't even an outfielder anymore, he's a DH. Last I checked David Ortiz is still there for one more year, so that means there isn't a position for him.
3. Since when are Crawford and Werth unreachable? Everyone I've heard has said Crawford is going to the Angels, but then they all say Werth is going to the Red Sox, who can EASILY afford him, need him, and Werth will be in Boston in 2011.
4. The Upton ship hasn't necessarily sailed yet. There's still a chance the Sox (or Yankees or any team for that matter) get him.
5. They did try to re-acquire Damon by claiming him off waivers. However, DAMON refused it (he was contractually allowed to). There's still bad blood there (and rightfully so).

Basically what I'm saying is there's NO CHANCE IN HELL of Manny being in Boston this season.

1.well im a fan and i know people that are fans that dont hate manny...he got a mixed reaction when he returned so hes not totally hated..

2. he was outfielder in LA..just cause he was a dh is chicago doesnt mean he still has to be one.

3. If you read what i wrote i said IF they are unreachable i never said they were unreachable.

4. They said the talks are dead, for now anyway, and i have heard nothing about the yankees getting him

5. Again read what i wrote, i said that the REDSOX tried to get him, and give him a second chance.

1.well im a fan and i know people that are fans that dont hate manny...he got a mixed reaction when he returned so hes not totally hated..
Yes, there are fans that don't hate Manny. There are also legions of fans that do. He's not the beloved figure he was in 2004 back when he was on steroids.

2. he was outfielder in LA..just cause he was a dh is chicago doesnt mean he still has to be one.
Go and ask virtually ANY baseball analyst. He's a DH. He was in the OF in LA because he had no choice, since they don't have a DH in the NL. So yes, he's a DH. He cannot play the outfield at a professional caliber, and playing the Outfield actually hindered him during the season (when LA was playing at American League Games, Manny was at his hottest, since he was DHing).

3. If you read what i wrote i said IF they are unreachable i never said they were unreachable.
and if you read what I said, Werth isn't just unreachable, it's unlikely he DOESN'T end up in Boston. He's the guy they want, and they will throw their checkbook at him. And still, who cares, it's been WELL established that Manny Ramirez is no longer an outfielder.

4. They said the talks are dead, for now anyway, and i have heard nothing about the yankees getting him
No, I was just saying that every team is still in the running, until he is either traded or is officially NOT gonna be traded. Right now there are no more talks, but both teams have the wherewithal to just jump into it and make it happen right away.

5. Again read what i wrote, i said that the REDSOX tried to get him, and give him a second chance.
Yes, and as I said there's still bad blood there which is why it didn't happen. Just like there's still bad blood with Manny. I don't see how you can think that the Sox would even consider it. They ditched him because of his off-the-field issues, they aren't gonna want to take him back now, when his skills aren't enough to overlook the off-field issues. And the Red Sox claimed Damon last year to block the Yankees.

And Damon didn't leave under NEARLY as bad circumstances as Manny (a mid-season giveaway for nothing). Damon left as a Free Agent (albeit Boston didn't try to re-sign him).

"Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday". The Deal is 4 years for $40 Million. According to Espn.com

I think that this Really Good Signing for Tigers as he is one of better offensive catchers. Him and Miguel Cabrera are a pretty good 1-2 Punch. I think this is pretty good signing. What do You guys think?

"Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday". The Deal is 4 years for $40 Million. According to Espn.com

I think that this Really Good Signing for Tigers as he is one of better offensive catchers. Him and Miguel Cabrera are a pretty good 1-2 Punch. I think this is pretty good signing. What do You guys think?

I read it was for $50 million. But whatever the price is, its a great pick up for the Tigers. Martinez was the only catcher in the bigs to hit over .300 and have 20 or more home runs, while killing it against left handers with .400 average, slugging .742, and a 1.173 OPS. Considering what the Tigers had last season, this is a big upgrade, and the Tigers are making the right moves so far.
----
In other news, the Giants resigned Huff to a 2 year deal for $22 million.

While I think the Giants needed to resign him, I don't know if I like those numbers. A 1 year deal for 11 would have been ok. But 2 for 11 each? I don't know if that's a smart move. Huff hadn't done anything before coming to the Giants and is really cashing in. He was a big piece to the Giants winning it all, but he's going to have to prove he can do it again.

I think the signing of Victor is great for the tigers as well but im just afraid that they arent going to get the other pieces back, they didnt give arbitration to Ordonez and damon which if they dont resign i dont know where they will get those bats..i mean martinez is a start but who else will they sign, IF they dont resign either of those players. I personally dont know much about the tigers farm system. Given they didnt have "great" seasons last year but for the most part you can except pretty big numbers out of them.

So Juan Uribe has signed with the LA Dodgers. Its a 3 year deal worth $21 million.

This hurts. He played 3rd fantastically in the playoffs, and his bat was big for the Giants. Now, Sandoval has to get in shape and get back on track. Apparently the Giants and Uribe were far off when it came to numbers, and the Dodgers came and swooped him up. Someone wasn't going to be resigned by the Giants but I didn't think Uribe would be gone. Again, Sandoval is going to have to regain form to make up for this loss.

The Giants has agreed to terms with Miguel Tejada on a 1 year, $6.5 million deal.

From what I understand, he is 37 years old and is going to replace Renteria and Uribe. I'm going to be honest, I don't know much about Tejada's recent history. I know he played for the Padres, but I don't know the stats he put up. But I'm not sure I like the move. I heard he's pretty durable and plays well defensively. But the Giants need bats and hopefully he can still produce.

And Damon didn't leave under NEARLY as bad circumstances as Manny (a mid-season giveaway for nothing). Damon left as a Free Agent (albeit Boston didn't try to re-sign him).
The Red Sox tried to re-sign Johnny Damon, but they only offered a 3 year contract and he was looking for 5 years. He settled for 4 years with the Yankees instead.

I love it. All the bickering going on in the Cage and the Sports Bar is taking away from good post worthy discussion. Wait, why do I care about post count? I don't.

Since nobody has discussed it yet, much to my disgust (the lack of discussion not the signing), the White Sox landed big old Adam fuckin' Dunn. Great signing, and I like him already. In the one on one interview I watched, he just has an awesome personality and looks to be one of those guys in the clubhouse that will keep it loose and get along with everyone. Seeing him hit in Comiskey should be a treat for fans, with all of his power and it being one of the best hitter parks in majors. I'm ecstatic and I'll finish up with Adam shortly.

The team re-signed AJ Pierzynski to a two year deal worth 8 million. Another solid deal. AJ was close to leaving, but thankfully he is coming back. Last year he struggled badly at the plate, but he was pressing all season long due to it being a contract year. He should have a nice bounce back year at the plate since he won't have to worry about a contract and can just play. AJ behind the plate was stellar as always though, as he is one of the top game callers in baseball.

The team traded Scott Linebrink to Atlanta for a minor leaguer. Decent trade to move some money and get a possible prospect.

What all three of these have in common is that the team is aiming to bring Paul Konerko back. AJ and Adam have deferred money to next year (AJ) and the next few (Dunn) and moving Linebrink opened up some room. Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf will be at the Winter Meetings and will be there when the team meets with Konerko's agent. He will do anything to bring him back. Signing Dunn was key to add a left handed bat, but bringing Paulie back would be huge for the whole team and for all of the fans. The team doesn't want to take the field next year without him. SIGN PAULIE!!!!!!!

First off, why is manny getting attention? where ever he goes(hopefully staying in the nl) he will do exactly what he did in boston and LA.
I am intrested in who the sox will get though. there are some places where they need help, and with some of the agents who are out there, their could be a postseason team in boston again.

First off, why is manny getting attention? where ever he goes(hopefully staying in the nl) he will do exactly what he did in boston and LA.
I am intrested in who the sox will get though. there are some places where they need help, and with some of the agents who are out there, their could be a postseason team in boston again.

If Boston stays healthy, with the addition of Gonzalez, they should be a playoff team. Gonzalez, Pedroia, Youkilis, Big Papi, and Ellsbury are all dangerous pieces on them. They have to hope that Lackey and Beckett get it back together as well. Tampa will be down as well, and the other two just don't have as much talent (the Blue Jays and Orioles, that is.)

But the addition of Gonzalez will be HUGE. Now he'll be even more dangerous since he's out of shitty Petco (shitty for hitters, that is).

If Boston stays healthy, with the addition of Gonzalez, they should be a playoff team. Gonzalez, Pedroia, Youkilis, Big Papi, and Ellsbury are all dangerous pieces on them. They have to hope that Lackey and Beckett get it back together as well. Tampa will be down as well, and the other two just don't have as much talent (the Blue Jays and Orioles, that is.)

But the addition of Gonzalez will be HUGE. Now he'll be even more dangerous since he's out of shitty Petco (shitty for hitters, that is).

Exactly. They need to pick up another bullpen pitcher too, i think. It hasn't been the same since Schilling left. A more solid bullpen would help a lot in getting another title.

Exactly. They need to pick up another bullpen pitcher too, i think. It hasn't been the same since Schilling left. A more solid bullpen would help a lot in getting another title.

I believe Rafael Soriano of the Rays is a FA, and he was the Rolaid's Relief Man award winner last year. Him, Bard, and Pappelbon (if he gets it back together) could be a dangerous back end.

And I think they just have to hold out on starters. Buchholz and Lester are studs, and you hope Lackey and Becketts seasons were both just abberations, not of a sign of things to come.

Although if they really want to go after another starter, Zack Grienke might be in their cards. I don't know if they'd want to give up a few more prospects, though. Especially if it depleats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back