• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MLB Thread - 2010

Besides it being Bobby Cox's farewell season, this might just be my favorite players to, Chipper Jones. Now he has said at the end of last year if he doesn't perform at a top level he would retire so he's not holding the team back from moving forward. With only batting .233 with 4 HR's and 23 RBI's its definitely not performing at a top level, but he has been a little banged up this season which is nothing new for him. But I respect him that much more if he does hold true to his word, most players will just keep going to collect the paycheck and seeing that he would be walking away from 28 million over the next 2 seasons, thats pretty impressive! A lot will depend on his decision on how the 2nd half of the season goes for him. I just wish the injury bug didn't happen to him because he would've been able to play a few more years and hit two big milestones 3000 hits and 500 HR's.

I agree, I love both Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox, but I'm just glad that the Braves are having a decent season with it being Cox's last year, but I would hate to see Chipper leave...Omar Infante might could play Third Base, but he's really all the Braves have now. I seriously hope that the Braves can pick up the NL wild card this year, because I really don't see them winning the division. Brian McCann has the talent to lead the team, but really, in baseball, you can't "lead" a team from behind the plate. I guess all us in the Tomahawk clan will have to wait and see what the rest of the season holds.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Arizona-designates-LHP-Willis-for-assignment-070410

My oh my, how the (once) mighty have fallen. I feel bad for the guy too, since he really looks like he has fun playing the game. Control just has been an issue ever since he came to Detroit, and you're not gonna last long in the big leagues if you walk 5-6 guys a game. It looked like he was gonna turn it around his first couple of starts in Detroit, then he got designated for assignment. Same thing with Arizona. It's amazing how Dontrelle went from a two time All-Star and Rookie of the Year in 2003 to a guy who couldn't pitch it in the strike zone if his life depended on it. I'd like to see someone, like a last place team like Baltimore give him another chance, but he'd most likely have to go down to the minors and prove that he can get it back, which I don't see happening. There's only so many chances that one guy can get before you have to give it up.

San Diego Padres lead all of Major League Baseball in bullpen era, starters era, and obviously combined era; yet didn't manage to get one pitcher on the all star team? Best Record in the NL and a game back of the beloved Yankee's for best record in all of baseball, but they're obviously a fluke.

San Diego Padres lead all of Major League Baseball in bullpen era, starters era, and obviously combined era; yet didn't manage to get one pitcher on the all star team? Best Record in the NL and a game back of the beloved Yankee's for best record in all of baseball, but they're obviously a fluke.

Latos and Bell definately deserve to be on the team, and both could be since there's a report that Yorvani Gallardo won't play because of an injury, so Latos or Mike Pelfrey of the Mets will most likely take his place. Bell could win the final vote although Votto should. Definately deserve more respect then just having Adrian Gonzalez on the team, but that's what happens when you play in a small market.

Thank God for the Brewers!

In all seriousness, this is exactly what the Giants needed to get back on track. After a dismal homestand they have come on the road and done pretty well. Posey is batting .500 ball with 5 HRs on this trip and Huff has 5 HRs as well. The pitching has been fine. So all in all pretty happy with the way things have turned out so far before the All Star break. Tonight we face some kid named Strasburg for the Nationals. Wonder if he's any good.:)

Don't worry they have one now in Bell (who replaced I think Gallardo). Now onto why I'm here. Cliff Lee was just traded to the Rangers. The package the Rangers are giving up is centered around first base prospect Justin Smoak. The Rangers needed an ace and they got one hell of one right here. The Rangers are top 5 in the AL in ERA (I think) at a 3.91 (or around there). The Rangers obviously have the offense and have the largest division lead in baseball. Now they aren't as good as the Yanks, but I think the Rangers could surprise some people and make a run at the ALCS and maybe even reach the WS.

Okay guys i know this happened awhile ago but it still upsets me on how umpire Jim Joyce cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarrago a perfect game. I know it was Joyce's decision and he stands by his call but after all the work Armando went threw i couldn't believe that he blew this call. In My opinion its still a perfect game but what do you guys think?

Today, the Braves picked up Alex Gonzales by giving up Yunel Escobar and JoJo Reyes. To some extent, I'm puzzled by this trade. On one hand, Gonzalez hits homers, which is exactly whatc the team needs right now. Facing down the stretch, I still fail to see a proven bat that can get the job done, and score runs when we absolutely need it. I guess that's whay Heyward is for, but I just don't see him fully pulling it off down the stretch. Besides that, Yunel was always a headcase. You know it's bad when Bobby Cox, one of the most personable player managers in the league, can't deal with you.

On the other hand, Gonzales is older, and Yunel was only 27. I feel much better about the trade now, knowing there was little chance Escobar would resign next year. This is a move the Braves had to make, and may keep them alive in the hot NL East.

White Sox are back in action tonight against the Twins. They have rattled off 8 straight wins, and won 25 of their last 30 games. The pitching has been out-fucking-standing, and is the reason they are atop the AL Central by a half game. In their last 31 games, they have had 27 quality starts. Straight up dealing. Now, if they are to win the Central, it is no easy task.

Big Sexy and I have discussed this in the Sports Bar, the Twins will be knocking on the door until the end, and the Tigers are a very good team. The White Sox won't stay on this tear that they have been on all season. I mean their 25-5 record is .833. It can't happen. However, I do believe if they play .600-.650 ball the rest of the season that they can win the division. Obviously this will require the team to continue playing good defense and having solid starting pitching. This is going to likely be a nail-biter of a race, and perhaps we will see Game 163 for a 3rd straight year.

Ugghhh. Another poor outing today by the Tigers. The one thing that they have been able to do this season is beat the teams that they are supposed to beat. So I was feeling confident to begin the 2nd half since we had a 4 game set with the last place Cleveland fuckin' Indians. So what do we do? Drop the first 3 games, scoring a whopping 6 runs total in those games. They wasted two good performances by Justin Verlander and Rick Porcello today, who should've gotten a victory. It's really frustrating that a team can play .700 ball at home can't even crack .500 on the road. The only way this team is gonna contend is if they can win on the road, especially against teams that they SHOULD BE BEATING. Someone needs to step it up and get some clutch hits. I know it's only the first series back and the White Sox haven't gained any ground, but it's frustrating that they lost two games today that they should've won. Someone's gotta step up and become a leader. Damon, Cabrera, Ordonez, Verlander. Someone. Please. I want another postseason experience this year.

According to sources at ESPN, Roy Oswalt is expected to accept the trade to the Phillies. Included in that trade is J.A. Happ and two minor leaguers. One is said to be Singleton whose first name is escaping me. This would be a good deal for the Phils if Oswalt waives his No Trade Clause. Phils will get there second ace. And Houston will finally rid themselves of that big contract. Even though it is said that Houston is going to throw in millions. Even if that's the case its still a good deal. Houston betters themselves for the future and the Phils are in a position to head back to the World Series.

Oswalt to Philly is confirmed, so yeah. Good move for Philadelphia, could be the missing piece that pushes them to a WC. I don't think the Braves will slow up, though.

Ugggghhhh. I don't think we're gonna ever figure out how to win again. We just got swept by Tampa Bay, including being no-hit in the opener. Before that we split with the Blue Jays and lost 2 of 3 to Texas. Not only that, but 3 of our key players, Ordonez, Guillen, and Inge, are hurt, and Boesch's wheels have fallen off since the All Star Break. It wasn't the pitching that was the problem, but it was our hitting was poor. I really don't think we can make a late run here. At least with the way that we're hitting with RISP lately. I'm afraid to throw in the towel, but we're getting closer and closer to being KO'ed.

So the White Sox have sent Daniel Hudson and minor league lefty David Holmberg to Arizona for Edwin Jackson. Upon first hearing this, I wasn't too thrilled about it. I feel that Daniel Hudson has more upside to him than he has shown in his three starts since being called up. However, when I look at it objectively, I realize two things.

A) Jackson had a great year last year in the Central, and perhaps a trip back to the AL will help. He will move and be a solid 4 behind Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks. Not bad at all, and has solid stuff, just backed by a not so good team.

B) Right now, as the trade deadline nears closer, Kenny Williams is going to try and use Jackson as trade bait. He made it known that he wants a left handed bat, and Adam Dunn is the one who he has his sights on. Now it's not a guarantee that Dunn will be on the Southside after all is said and done, but if it happens, it's all around good.

Those are two viable options. Jackson is a good pitcher to fall back as a 4th starter should the Dunn deal not be a done deal. HA! (Bad joke) He can step in ahead of Freddy Garcia, but also keep up the pitching of the other three, which over the past two months has been nothing short of stellar. He has gone from a sack of crap team to a legitimate playoff contender. The question is, will he be traded for Adam Dunn, who would provide the left side power the team may need, or does he stay? We will find out in a day.

So, the Yankees have (according to over 9000 sources) traded for the Astros Lance Berkman. The rumors going around is that the Astros are doing this as a 100% Salary dump, and the Yankees are giving up a couple minor league NON-prospects in return. Also, Berkmans Team Option for 2011 will become a Mutual Option, meaning that he will almost assuredly become a Free Agent next season.

As a Yankee fan, I love this move, because Berkman will provide a great bat for the Yankees to use as a DH, replacing Nick Johnson who got hurt (and was ineffective), as well as someone who can give a day off to Texiera every once in a while at First (The Yankees din't really have a 2nd First Baseman until now). Also, you never know, but if he becomes a Free Agent, he may become a Type A or Type B Free Agent, and the Yanks might be able to get picks for him.

As a Baseball fan, this trade is indicative of the problems with the Astros organization. They weren't going to be winning for the past few years, but they decided to hang onto Berkman (and Oswalt) for so long that when the time comes for them to finally trade them, they can't get anything of serious value in return. And it's a shame, because the Astros owner is one of the wealthiest owners in Baseball, and he didn't build a good enough team around his talent, and now they are Salary-Dumping.

In a second move, the Yankees acquired Austin Kearns from the Cleveland Indians for a Player To Be Named Later. Kearns is going to be brought in as a bench guy, and he should prove to be a decent 4th Outfielder, if he can adjust to playing a part-time role.

Finally, Alex Rodriguez has been stuck on 599 Homers for a week now. This isn't all that surprising, since 99.999% of power hitters would press when trying to reach major milestones. A-Rod did the same thing back when he was chasing 500. Thankfully, though, Alex has still been a solid hitter, driving in runs and batting near .300 since Homer 599.

The Giants have been on a roll, and a sweep of the Dodgers makes it all that much sweeter. The pitching has come back around and the offense is playing a lot better. Cain finally beat the Dodgers last night with a beauty. The fans were unbelievable, haven't heard them like that since maybe 04. There is a lot of excitment going on here in the Bay, being only 1 1/2 back of the Padres. There is a real feeling that the Giants can take the division and now we hope this roll continues.

Jesus, I think it's time to stick a fork in my Tigers. We've just been pitiful since the AS Break. I know it's only the 1st week of August, but we're 10 games back and the injuries just have taken too much of a toll on us. A shame, too, as we were going so well till our key players started dropping like flies and the others all hit a slump at the same time. Sadly I think it's time for Leland to go. His contract is up and I think it'd be better for us with a new face in the dugout. He got it all to click in 2006, but ever since then we haven't been able to get higher then 2nd. I'm not sure who would fit, but someone younger I think would do well with the Tigers.

Watch out, New York and Tampa, Baltimore is about to stage the greatest comeback in teh history of sports. :p 4 outta 5 since Showalter became the manager. If they can end the season strong they could possibly be a nice surprise next year. I'm not talking playoffs, but they could go .500.

And I'm gonna start backing the Braves and Giants now. Like some of the weapons that each team has.

As bad as our starting pitching has been (had after recent performances from Sanchez, Cain, and the Freak), we still are only 3 back of the Padres with their struggles recently. Tonight starts an important stretch for the Giants as they play the Dodgers, Rockies and finally the Padres on the road. Its important for the Giants not to lose any ground to the Padres before their series with them, as that will give them a shot at taking over the division. This is a big road trip and it all starts tonight with Zito.

Man Im a Red Sox fan and we've had a tough ass depressing year. We aren't making the playoffs this year no way in hell that's happening. We basically had a crazy ass season of injuries we've lost Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury, and Cameron for the season basically are 1-2-3 hitters. Becketts been on the dl, so has Buchholz, and Matsusaka. As far as this year goes it was basically a lost season. Now onto next year I would like to see us try to trade or get rid of these players Beckett, Matsusaka, Drew, Ortiz, Okijima, and Papelbon. I would like to see us make some plays for Soriano, Downs, Dunn, and Crawford.

Thank God Zito is pitching tonight. I would have hated for him to pitch during the huge 4 game series we have coming tomorrow against the Padres in SD. The pitching staff has been excellent with Cain, Timmy, Sanchez and Bumgardner. They have been fantastic. Then there's Zito. I really believe if he doesn't make it past 5 tonight he will lose his starting spot for a game or so. With the staff coming around we can't afford to let Zito bring the team down. He needs to come up big here or he's getting moved to the 'pen.

This game against the Diamondbacks is big but not that big. The Padres had fallen enough to where they could take the division lead after this weekend. Once again the Giants are providing us with some excitment down the stretch and one could only hope they don't shirnk back.

Big series tonight in Colorado with the Rockies. The Rockies have been on roll to get back in the hunt, although they are currently on a 4 game losing streak. From reports and what not it seems like Clolrado is reeling. This is a huge game tonight that could potentially knock the Rockies out of the chase. The Giants pitching staff has allowed 3 runs or less for 17 straight games, something that hasn't been done since 1917. The staff is showing Brian Sabean to be a genuis when it comes to developing and picking up pitching talent. The offense broke through with a big game last night against the Cubs. Hopefully it carries on through to tonight.

Rockies need to win at least 2 out of 3 here or they are fucking DONE.

Being the Padre fan that I am, I'll definitely be pulling for the Rockies in this series. Tulo and Cargo have been on a fucking tare lately and I need them to continue on there little hot streak. The Giants have been a very Hot/Cold team all throughout the season, and if the Rockies can take the first two from the Giants than we may just be back to a three team race again. Unless San Diego can pull away, of course.

Wild card race is just as tight, and I expect two teams from the west to make the playoffs, especially after the Phillies whooped all over the braves in there past series.

All in all, it looks like Philly, Cinci, San Diego, and San Francisco, and as much as I hate the Giants, I'd rather see them make the playoffs than fucking Colorado.

So it comes down to this. The final game of the season, and the Yankees and Rays are tied for first. If at the end of the day, both teams are still in a tie, the Rays are awarded the AL East because they have won more games against the Yankees this year. However, whoever ends up losing the AL East, will win the Wild Card. Now, as a Yankees fan, you may never hear me say this again, but I want the Yankees to win the Wild Card more than I do the AL East. If they win the Wild Card, they go on to play the Twins. The Yankees have a better record this year against the Twins than the Rangers. Although, if the Yankees do win the East, I wont say I'm disappointed because then the Yankees would have home-field advantage in the ALDS. So really, it's a win/win situation for the Yankees. We'll see what happens today, I'm excited.

It looks like we are going to the last day and the Giants and Padres aren't on ESPN tonight? Really? Who's taking their place? The Yankees and Red Sox? Fuck all the East Coast bias. We got a huge fucking game going on out here with serious playoff implications. If the Braves don't lose, we could have a playoff game tomorrow to see who goes in. Sanchez is on the mound for us and I expect him to come up huge tonight. And Fuck Matt Latos. He's going to get rocked today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back