MLB Thread - 2010

I know Spring Training means absolutely nothing, but Im worried about my team, the Yankees. It's pretty much been loss after loss. Chamberlain has been ineffective, Gaudin was shit. Our hitting hasnt been too good. Then again, we have been putting in minor leaguers for the brunt of some of these games. I guess the good things to come out of spring training for us so far are Hughes definitely getting our #5 spot in the rotation, Chan Ho Park has been sharp, Vasquez is returning to form, and our defense is looking pretty good. Although, Jeter seemed to injure his throwing hand, hope he's alright.

Yet throughout all of this, I expect a good season, and for the Yankees to get hot around the middle of June. They're never good before that point...

As Theo and INDYjon have said, the Braves will have themselves a nice year for a couple reasons.

First,they learned where to fill positions. Sure, I am not happy that they traded Soriano, but I have a feeling that Wagner will do a fine job. He is just coming off of elbow surgery (I believe) and they realized this and gotten themselves Takashi Saito as a backup plan. They also have a very good rotation in Hudson (coming off Tommy John surgery), Hanson, Jurrgens, Lowe, and Kawakami. I wish we would have kept Vasquez, then we would have won the division. We also do not have to depend on Chipper Jones as much. We have a solid back-up strategy in either Prado (if they want to get Diory Hernandez playing time) or more then likely Omar Infante. They have added a little power with Glaus at first or he could shift to third if need be.

Next, we have some key players returning from injury. Hudson looked good in the game against the Phillies on ESPN the other day. Sure, you could argue that this is Spring Training and it doesn't count, but those were still some Major League players he was getting out and that has to mean something. Also, Wagner is coming off of surgery and the Braves have decided to give him a shot at closer. I am sure he will get some saves but the big question is will the velocity still be there. That did the smart thing and got him a exit strategy in a proven NL closer named Takashi Saito. We have Brian McCann ready to go after some mid season blurriness. He had more eye surgery done during the winter so he should be back to his normal self this year.

Lastly, they have a very promising rookie named Jason Heyward. This guy will either be a nice addition to the team or the second coming of Jordan Schafer. (I really don't think that) He has been tearing the cover off the ball in Spring Training batting .366 with 4 doubles in 41 AB's.

I know Spring Training means absolutely nothing, but Im worried about my team, the Yankees. It's pretty much been loss after loss.

Like you said, it's spring training. Our starting pitchers throw two innings and the guys you'll see in the field on opening day get one or two at-bats. The Yankees are a team of veterans. Why are A-Rod, Jeter, and Posada going to go all-out in meaningless pre-season games? Yeah.

Chamberlain has been ineffective,

I can't blame him. All the shit he's been through in the last couple of years... Rotation-Pen-Rotation-Pen-Joba Rules-Pen...

Gaudin was shit.

Didn't we cut him?

Our hitting hasnt been too good.

Alex Rodriguez's frame of mind is: "Meeting with the feds in a couple of days... need to find a new girl to help me for the playoffs... I wonder what Kate's been up to... Should I give Madonna a call?... Why am I still doing this spring training bullshit?..."

Then again, we have been putting in minor leaguers for the brunt of some of these games.

There we go.

I guess the good things to come out of spring training for us so far are Hughes definitely getting our #5 spot in the rotation,

Joba deserves it. You have to let him go. Sink or swim, he needs to be given a chance to pitch. No Joba Rules, no in and out of the bullpen. He needs to be a starter. Hughes could handle another year as the set-up man. This was the wrong move, and I am not looking forward to a year of Hughes Rules.

Chan Ho Park has been sharp, Vasquez is returning to form, and our defense is looking pretty good. Although, Jeter seemed to injure his throwing hand, hope he's alright.

Jeter said he was alright. Don't worry about defense or any of that. No one is going to be diving over walls in the spring.

Yet throughout all of this, I expect a good season, and for the Yankees to get hot around the middle of June. They're never good before that point...

Here's to hoping we're hot come April 5th. I don't want to hear anything from Red Sox fans to start the season.

Well the Jays opened the 2010 season today against the Texas Rangers and lost a heart breaker. They started out well with a 3-0 lead, led by Adam Lind and Vernon Wells, but the Rangers tied it up 3-3 with a Nelson Cruz homer in the bottom of the 7th. The Jays retook the lead though and lead 4-3 going into the bottom of the 9th where Jason Fraser blew the save opportunity and the Jays lost 5-4. Fraser wasted a good game by the Jays and with the team rebuilding, these are the types of wins that can go a long way in helping this young team's confidence, but he couldn't hold it.

There are some positives to take from this game, with Marcum pitching a very solid game, Lind continuing his power hitting, and Vernon Wells hitting the ball very well. This team may steal some wins this season if the pitching holds up. Here's hoping they rebound tomorrow.

I don't think we learned anything yesterday in the opener between the Yankees and Red Sox yesterday aside from the fact that Josh Beckett really, and I mean really, needs to find his form if he's going to be their ace. The pitching was poor for both teams last night. Neither bullpen was great, but the Yankees was awful. Curious why Aceves didn't throw. The starters under-performed, especially Beckett. Both offenses were helped tremendously by their new acquisitions. The defense for the Red Sox was pretty bad in the early parts of the game. Brett Gardner is fast.

Yankees lost, but it was the first game of the season. Oh well.

How about that rookie for the Braves? First at bat hit a three run blasts. He looks to be good. Very good, actually...

Now onto the rattlin battlin buccos. What did I learn today? Jones is still a beast, McCutchen is still very good and Dotel looks like he can locate all his pitches. Hopefully he does because he could be a big trade assett.

Duke pitched well. Gave up 7 hits but only two runs. 7 hits over five but its all about what crosses the plate. That was a solid start for a guy who struggled during the Spring. The good news is, the Buccos are in first and Jones is on pace for 324 homeruns. Move over Barry Lamar Bonds Jones has entered the building...

Has anyone discussed Jason Heyward yet? This dude is a beast! Home Run in his MLB debut and to top it all off 4 RBI's. I'll say it again. This guy is gonna be a major star and I'm not saying that because he's from ridgewood which is two towns away from me. I'm saying this because he just... IS......

Didn't have high hopes for the Buccos coming into this season, and obviously opening day isn't going to to much to change that, but you never know. There's absolutely no pressure of hype surronding this team and they seem to have a "nobody believes in us" mentality, whic his always dangerous.

We've brought in some proven guys, especially in the bullpen with Dotel, Donnely, Carassco and others. Iwamura was solid on a Rays team that went the the WS, McCutcheon is potentially a top 10 player some day and we Alvarez and Tabata in the minors, who are studs. If the Pirates were able to hover around .500 until July, we could actually have a pretty exciting season on our hands.

I'm feeling good about the Sox this year, we've got an absolutely dynamite pitching staff as usual, this year with even more depth than usual, our defense has taken a big upgrade with the additions of guys like Beltre and Scutaro, and we've still got enough offensive firepower to succeed. The only thing we're going to have to see if how consistent our offense can remain this season, that's the one thing that's got me worried, have to wait and see what kind of a season guys like Ortiz and JD Drew are going to have. But yeah, I feel good about our team this year, I definitely think we're a playoff-caliber team, though it's going to be the usual dogfight with the Yanks and we'll have to keep our eyes on the Rays as well. Should be another great year in the AL East.

I can't wait to see how the Cardinals follow up their great Opening Day tonight. Pujols reminded everyone that he is the best player in the game by going 4-5 with 2 home runs. Colby Rasmus showed that his work with Big Mac in the spring helped with a homer of his own, and Yadier Molina capped it off with a grand slam. Chris Carpenter pitched a nice game, only giving up 2 runs, both solo home runs, and 5 hits over 6. All in all, a great start for the Redbirds.

After last night, I have a little more hope for my San Diego Padres, Adrian Gonzalez in just a fucking beast, I'd take Adrian over Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard.

It was also nice to see Chris Young return to form after getting smashed in the face by a line drive last year, and then shoulder surgery on top of that.

If these young guys produce even half way decent numbers I think the Padres will at least have a chance to compete for the NL West, but more than anything I hope that those greasy bastards on the east coast keep their fucking hands off Adrian Gonzalez. The last thing I want to see is Adrian in a Red Sox uniform.

I'm looking forward to my Phils this year. The division will be much more competitive with an improved Braves team and solid Mets and Marlins teams. I could honestly see any of the four make the playoffs. I still think the Phils are the best NL and should compete for a third straight WS appearance. Glad that we landed Halladay, guy was a beast on Monday. Hopefully Cole show his stuff tonight and gets back on track.

I read the SI article on Halladay and the guy is a freaking beast. He definetly works out harder than anyone in the majors. For instance, after a spring game this year in which he put in 3 solid innings of work, he immeadiatlely went to do a tough two hour workout, when most other veteran guys would've been on their way home hours ago. He also wants to make it to the playoffs and win badly. Couple that with the fact that he's moving from the best division in baseball to a weak NL, and this could be one of the greatest pitching seasons we've ever seen.

So the Braves are 2-0. Huh. Well I am very very happy. Although you can't bank to much on JHey's first AB home run. If you remember, so did Jordan Schafer. How did that turn out? But I do not think Schafer continues that success the following day. Nice to see things finally looking up for the Bravo's.

Although the Yankees took 2 out of 3 from my Red Sox to kickstart the season, I'm still very excited for what lays ahead of us as a team for this season. John Lackey had a stellar debut for us last night, putting up six shutout innings for us with over 100 pitches, with a very positive strike-to-ball ratio. I definitely think Lackey is going to prove he was worth the contract and is going to be a great member of this organization for years to come. I mean, when you're throwing up that guy as your NUMBER THREE starter, you've got a damn good pitching staff.

Unfortunately the Yankees explosive offense got the best of us twice in this series, but the season has only just begun and I have a lot of hope and expectations for this season for the Boston Red Sox.

Well my Orioles are 0-2 to start the season. Not to bad since were only two games in but it also makes me feel like we have another long season ahead of us. It could be worse though, we only lost by one run in each game against a very talented Devil Rays team. The O's just need to get those big bats going and start developing some good pitching prospects. They could be seriously dangerous if they had some decent pitching.

Curtis Granderson is making Yankee fans quickly forget all about Johnny Damon. That home run he hit off of Papelbon had some legs behind it. Curtis isn't a big guy. From watching his swing, I can see that he moves his hips quickly and gets the barrel of the bat around fast. He isn't going to hit many opposite-field home runs, but he's going to feed off of that short-porch in right.

What is encouraging to me as a Yankee fan is that our 2-4 hitters (Johnson, Teixeira, Rodriguez) really haven't gotten going. Once Johnson starts hitting and drawing more walks and when Mark and Alex get into the rhythm of the game, we're going to score a lot of runs. I love Johnson's OBP. It tells me that A-Rod and Tex won't be hitting many solo-shots this year.

We've gotten a lot of contribution from Yankee veterans, Jeter and Posada. I was worried about the possibility of decline for Jorge, and aside from his horrid base-running, he's been spectacular. To my surprise, Mr. Brett Gardner is already proving the doubters wrong. He's playing fairly good defense in left, hitting well, and when he gets on base, pitchers need to play close attention. The kid is going to steal 50 bases this year. He's fast. Did you see how many times they threw to first when he was on? I think it was around 10 times. He still stole the base.

Chan Ho Park redeemed himself on Wednesday, pitching three great innings. Mariano was his normal self. Does he age? I'm not entirely sure. He has two saves already. I can't wait for the count-down to him breaking the record next year. You're watching the greatest of all-time every time he comes out. Pettitte was great, which encouraged me. Burnett has nasty stuff and the potential to carry the staff. CC had a rough outing, but if you think he won't show up, you're a fool. Vasquez pitches next. Can't wait for that. Hughes might surprise some people. Hope they don't restrict him so much like Joba.

Our question mark is still the bullpen, or maybe the back end of the rotation. But when you're most concerned about Vasquez and Hughes or Aceves, Park, Chamberlin and Marte, I think you don't have much to be concerned about.

I just have to feel like the Yankees are on their way to another division crown. The team is stacked, and I think that the Red Sox offense may have out-done themselves slightly this opening weekend. I'm still of the mindset that if they don't add a bat, say an Adam Dunn, then they're going to run into issues toward the end of the season. Of course, their woes would be gone if Papi could find his swing, but no one knows if it's coming this year. He got good pitches to hit that he would have jacked 500 feet two or three years ago, but he's just hitting ground balls into the shift and soft flies to Nick Swisher. That rotation is straight-up stacked 1-2-3, though. They're always going to be dangerous.

Well I got to watch my first game of the year today. Romero got the start as the Blue Jays took on the Texas Rangers today in a hitters park. But it took until deep into the 7th inning for the Rangers to get the first run of the game. It wasn't and eventful game, but I sure was excited seeing these young Blue Jays, one of which (McCoy) got his first ever hit, a single to lead the game.

Now the 9th inning was incredible as Vernon Wells took back the early lead in Home Runs with his 4th in three games. It is great seeing him hitting the ball again after that horrible .260 season he had last year. Vernon has always been a slow starter, so maybe this year will be different. Blue Jays kept coming as they would score 3 total runs in the inning to get the 3-1 win, and win the series 2-1. Not bad.

Giants are off to a nice start. The offense has been great except for the two games Cain has pitched, butbut no surprise there. Even Zito is 2-0 unbelievable. But I guess that's what happens when you play teams like Houston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh. After tonight's game we have the Dodgers, Padres, Cards, well you get the idea. The schedule gets much tougher. I would like to see how do they against better offensive teams and how well they can continue to hit. But a nice start to the season.

Fuck what a game last night for Blue Jay fans. A team that was coming into the game 5-2, with a blown save in the last game (sort of a reversal of fortunes for the come backers) to be pitching off of Romero into the 8th inning with a no hitter. I was pumped, as Romero has only allowed two people to touch bases, both on walks. The first batter up has lost some respect from me, as he said he was hit, when he was not. Good acting I guess, as he took the first bag. This did shake Romero, obvious when he left a high fast ball up for his former teammate Rios, and he did not waste time getting his second of the year.

The game did finish 4-2 however, as the Blue Jays look to win the third straight series tonight.

Fuck what a game last night for Blue Jay fans. A team that was coming into the game 5-2, with a blown save in the last game (sort of a reversal of fortunes for the come backers) to be pitching off of Romero into the 8th inning with a no hitter. I was pumped, as Romero has only allowed two people to touch bases, both on walks. The first batter up has lost some respect from me, as he said he was hit, when he was not. Good acting I guess, as he took the first bag. This did shake Romero, obvious when he left a high fast ball up for his former teammate Rios, and he did not waste time getting his second of the year.

The game did finish 4-2 however, as the Blue Jays look to win the third straight series tonight.

Romero looked awesome all game until he gave up that home run. I think Romero is in for a very good season and is a player to watch in the coming seasons because he could do some big things. I did lose even more respect then I ever though I would for A.J. Pierzynski. I have have never been a fan of the man but last night when he was acting like the ball hit him it really made me dislike him even more. However, he could have a future in acting when his career finally ends.

The Orioles continue to let me down. I should learn to be not surprised by their lack of ability but it still breaks my heart. They are currently down by 8 to Tampa Bay and they aren't even in the fourth yet. God it is going to be a long season.

The Cardinals are looking pretty good this year and I think they will do much better in the playoffs then last year. The only thing that I think they will need is a good closer, Ryan Franklin really hasn't been the same since last years All-Star game and he is around 37.

Damn a 20 inning loss today for the Redbirds to the Mets. I think something should be put in the rulebook about when a team runs out of pitchers or an inning limit or something because that was too long of a game, over 6 hours, really? I know the rules are in place for a reason and this doesn't happen too often but when you start putting utility infielders and outfielders on the mound it's a little.. hell I don't know the word for it, I'm probably just pissed that they lost.

That left a bad taste in my mouth. Currently tallking to AJ, and unless he doesn't read this, and we keep talking about anything NOT baseball, I might be able to sweep the sweep by his Angels against the Blue Jays. But it was a good test, the Jays matched up against a good team, and they lost. They have been beating poor teams like Baltimore with ease, so it gives a placement of the Jays... which is pretty much where they were with Halladay, in the Middle.

That left a bad taste in my mouth. Currently tallking to AJ, and unless he doesn't read this, and we keep talking about anything NOT baseball, I might be able to sweep the sweep by his Angels against the Blue Jays. But it was a good test, the Jays matched up against a good team, and they lost. They have been beating poor teams like Baltimore with ease, so it gives a placement of the Jays... which is pretty much where they were with Halladay, in the Middle.

Well if you want to talk baseball, then here you go TM. My Angels really need to win this series as this was the first series we have won this season. Nice to see that bats come alive for Rivera and Kendrick as those two are key in our success. Rodney looked great in his appearances as closer, while Brian is out on the DL. Though, I just don't know what I can take from our series against the Jays as the Jays are not a contending team, and this year we have struggled against contending teams: Yankees, and Twins. Sorry, TM but nothing like facing the Jays to right the ship;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back