• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mid-reign face/heel turns?

punchline

Occasional Pre-Show
So just a quick bit of background on me, I'm not a wrestling loyalist. I started watching as a little kid during the NWO run, tuned out near the end of the attitude era, missed Evolution and Brock Lesnars first run and all that, then started watching again sometime during Rated RKO and the Spirit Squad runs. I also loosely started following TNA shortly before Christians departure. Needless to say, I don't consider myself all that well-versed on the history of pro wrestling.

Having said that, CM Punks heel-turn in the middle of his long WWE Championship reign was new and unique to me. It's usually the gain or loss of a title that leads to the turn.

So my simple and basic question is, what other examples of mid championship reign face/heel turns are there? And which is your favorite?

I'm personally not a fan of champions changing their tune in mid-title-runs. It kinda feels like you begin a story about something, but by the time it finishes it's about something else. Psychologically not very satisfying. But whatever, that's just the nitpicker in me.

It's not something that happens often. The only other guy I can think of is the Macho Man. Randy Savage did it in the 80s during his first run as the WWF champion. He had been a babyface champion for most of his run, but as Wrestlemania approached he turned on his buddy Hulk Hogan.

Had to edit my post. I mentioned Savage and completely missed the post right above me about Savage. I think HHH did it in 2002. He was face when he won the title from Jericho at WrestleMania 18, and I believe he was heel by the time he faced hogan at the backlash ppv the next month. I may be wrong on that one though. My favorite of course was Randy Savage's reign that was mentioned above me.

Stone Cold Steve Austin in 2001. Turns face after Mr. McMahon asks him to bring back the old Stone Cold Steve Austin to help Team WWF take out The Alliance and then turns heel again, joining The Alliance at Invasion. During his second title run of that year, he goes back to being a face once again after Team WWF defeat The Alliance at Survivor Series. That's 3 turns in one year, 4 if you wanna include his heel turn at Mania X7 when he won the WWF Title. I guess this must be the reason why people dislike Austin's title runs in 2001, the booking was a mess. But I do have to admit that I still enjoyed his 2001 title reigns regardless. He was delivering pure comedy gold and having me in stitches during those runs.

Other examples that come to mind...

Demolition's double turn with The Powers Of Pain at Survivor Series 1988, while they were WWF Tag Team Champions.

Brock Lesnar after No Mercy 2002, when Big Show was traded to Smackdown and took out The Undertaker and then named the new #1 contender for the WWE Title at Survivor Series.

Ric Flair in 1994. Defeated Vader for the WCW Title at Starrcade 93 and then turned heel upon Hogan's arrival in WCW to feud with him.

AJ Styles in 2010, aligning himself with Flair when he arrived in TNA.

Austin Aries as X-Division Champion last year, I think. I wasn't watching TNA properly last year, so I don't know how his face turn went down.

Samoa Joe in 2006, as Sting's mystery partner against Jeff Jarrett & Monty Brown at Sacrifice. Technically he didn't turn face at the PPV, he became a tweener, but he slowly completed his face turn some time after that.

Randy Orton after Summerslam 2004, getting turned on by Evolution for taking the World Title from Chris Benoit when HHH wanted to.

That's all I can think of right now.

My favourite is easily Randy Savage's. Savage's turn had a good build up, with Hogan also taking on Elizabeth as his manager, leading to Savage getting jealous, and Hogan accidentally eliminating Savage from the Royal Rumble. The official turn on The Main Event was executed brilliantly, and led to one of the biggest main events in WM history.

My favorite was Ric Flair in 1989/1990. It was a perfect natural progression with Sting and Flair teaming up to take on Funk and Muta, and then having a match as part of a round robin tournament at Starrcade (which Sting won), to an absolutely awesome promo by Flair and Ole Anderson as the Horsemen discard Sting:

"Do the smart thing! Get out of this business. Get out of that contract, and get out of my life!"

Sting got injured legit that same night, which just served to fuel the feud even more, and of course, the whole thing culminated in his win over Flair at GAB 90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back