• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Michael Cole bringing up Kings Mother

It made for very uncomfortable viewing I felt. Watching it I felt it was grossly offensive to the King and ,as a viewer, it was awkward to watch Cole tlak about his dead mom like that. Still nothing compares to when Orton told Rey that Eddie was in hell. The heat drawn from both comments was through the roof.

It was for Michael Cole to get major heat, nothing else.

He did not talk negative about Lawler's mother, he just pretty much said, "Your mother, looking down from above, had the best seat! You let her down!"

Most people (I am hoping most people, minus kids under 9) know that wrestling is scripted, so there are no REAL winners and losers in matches, so Lawler's mom wasn't really "let down".

Lawler had to be fine with it, as it did not make fun or put down his mother, mainly just himself.

Another one I can recall

MNM vs LOD (Animal & Heidenreich)

One of MNM called Heidenreich, Hawk, then the other corrected him saying something along the lines of "That's not Hawk, he's dead!"

I was disappointed when they used this last night. Watching it back this morning, however, I gotta say they were very careful how it was worded and in fairness to Cole, he looked unbelievably uncomfortable as he said it.

That was on dirty trick pulled by WWE.

The only way i can say I was okay with it is that Jerry himself suggested Cole to say so ,but I don't think that's what has happened.

2 things were intriguing : A)People's reaction:Well it seemed that everyone was shocked , especially when last week both Miz and Cole were total gentlemen.B)Cole's facials.it was obvious that he was too uncomfortable doing that.He even hesitated a little bit like he didn't want to do it.

Well , I can just wish that the stupid who has come up with this idea stops being such a jerk.I know that Jerry has been okay with it but it wasn't necessary at all.

By the way , I think this was more offensive than Randy talking about Eddie.

Because Randy was just being a heel.It wasn't like that Randy is one of hell's crew so he knew Eddie is there and his claims (keyfabe) would be just an act of evilness.

But Cole's could be true in some way.I mean it really can be expected that Jerry is upset because he thought he has let his mother down.

I just hope stuff like this doesn't happen anymore.

You people complain about the product being "watered down", yet when they have this you complain it's too offensive. Which one is it?

That was on dirty trick pulled by WWE.

The only way i can say I was okay with it is that Jerry himself suggested Cole to say so ,but I don't think that's what has happened.

2 things were intriguing : A)People's reaction:Well it seemed that everyone was shocked , especially when last week both Miz and Cole were total gentlemen.B)Cole's facials.it was obvious that he was too uncomfortable doing that.He even hesitated a little bit like he didn't want to do it.

Well , I can just wish that the stupid who has come up with this idea stops being such a jerk.I know that Jerry has been okay with it but it wasn't necessary at all.

By the way , I think this was more offensive than Randy talking about Eddie.

Because Randy was just being a heel.It wasn't like that Randy is one of hell's crew so he knew Eddie is there and his claims (keyfabe) would be just an act of evilness.

But Cole's could be true in some way.I mean it really can be expected that Jerry is upset because he thought he has let his mother down.

I just hope stuff like this doesn't happen anymore.

How it is any worse? Because Orton knew Eddie, you don't think after all these years Cole wouldn't know about King's mother. The two of them having been in the same company for how long now, 12-13 years? People really need to see it was a line in a story that is not real. It's the same as Orton saying Eddie is in hell for storyline reasons. Its suppose to enrage the face wrestler to lose the plot and seek revenge
If King had a problem with it, it wouldn't have happened and we all know King would point blank refuse and hell refuse to turn up.

People wanted more cutting edge material, well there you go. This feud is personal so as sad as it is King lost his mother it did add to the personal feud.

Lets not forget who The King is, he isn't some commentary who was never active in the ring. King himself has said far worse when playing the heel role, off the top of my head look at his comments about Stu Hart. Again none of it is real, King respects Stu but for storyline purposes said those comments.

The only time it is not ok, if people do not agree to it and purely doing it to poke fun at someone and we all know what I'm referring to here (Oklahoma)

I mean you dont see them making racist comments.
Uh, yes you do. A huge portion of heel heat is based on the inherent racism and xenophobia of wrestling fans.

And it's important to note the content of what Cole actually said. He didn't disrespect Lawler's mother in any way. Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable, doesn't mean it's offensive. Rather than having a knee-jerk reaction about something that potentially crosses the line, actually pay attention to what's being said, before getting offended at the wrong thing. If Lawler had won the title, Cole could have started his comment the exact same way (and then ended with "And with your mother looking down, you made her proud"), and it wouldn't have gotten boos. It's the tone of what he said that got the reaction, not the content.

There's nothing offensive about this. It's wrestling, everything is scripted and Vince, running a PG product, would never do anything offensive on live television.

This segment was ok'd by Lawler and possibly even suggested by him. Anyone who is offended by it, don't be. Death is a part of life and it's mention should not be taken to heart.

Also, those of you saying that Cole didn't want to say it. Bullshit. Cole has become a very good heel and his facial expressions are always on point. The entire segment he was acting as a 'journalist' so his facial expression was that of kayfabe 'should I say this?' Otherwise he's be breaking character in the middle of the ring and that's something you don't do or you get scolded (Randy Orton).

And, this is nothing like the Jarett/Angle segments on Impact. The difference there, is that Karen Angle is an actual ****e and their personal issues that those children have to deal with is being pushed aside for the sake of a ratings boost. Kids are impressionable and all 3 of those adults are being terrible parents in allowing that to happen.

It's not like Cole said he's happy the woman passed away, he said King let his mother down. It's really not a big deal.

I only read the first 2 pages of this thread and i clearly see you are all underage *****es and are all super high and mighty god lovers. Your all perfect, nice, never swear, are against drugs and violence. It makes me sick. Grow up and look at the real world.

Get a back bone and enjoy it. That was some of the best heat ever. I was lolling so hard. Im just like "OHHHHHHHH snap, coles going to finally get it". It was highly entertaining. This is entertainment. If your little ears cant handle an ass or damn, some blood or a personal insult then i dont know why your still watching wrestling.

You: "OMG he took it too far, im so offended! waaah"

Me: "Ahhhhh owned! That was awesome! Cant wait to see what happens next!"

ME>You. /thread.

You said yourself that you were offended by what Cole said. You probably aren't a fan of Cole, and if you are...I'm guessing you aren't so much now. If you were at the crowd, would you boo Michael Cole?

Is it not a heel's job to offend the crowd? All Michael Cole did was do what he was supposed to do. Maybe Cole thought of it himself, asked the writers and Jerry, and they Ok'd it. Most likely, WWE writers thought of it themselves.

I highly doubt Jerry Lawler was offended in anyway by that segment, he's 61 years old..I think he can handle it. The only thing that was affected by what Michael Cole said..was crybaby fans, and the push of a bigger storyline.

Though obviously a work, I found it tasteless and stupid. And the whole Lawler-Cole feud doesn't make me want to buy 'Mania anyway. Lawler will destroy Cole and finally give him is come-uppance. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

It's a dumb storyline. They can keep Cole as heel announcer without having him feud with Lawler. Besides, post 'Mania - what happens with these 2? Are we to believe that...after such comments and a feud, that they can just sit back down and return to calling RAW?

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Though obviously a work, I found it tasteless and stupid. And the whole Lawler-Cole feud doesn't make me want to buy 'Mania anyway. Lawler will destroy Cole and finally give him is come-uppance. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

It's a dumb storyline. They can keep Cole as heel announcer without having him feud with Lawler. Besides, post 'Mania - what happens with these 2? Are we to believe that...after such comments and a feud, that they can just sit back down and return to calling RAW?

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

I imagine that after this feud, Jerry Lawler is going to retire. Based on facts Jerry has said, and based on how intense the feud is going..you're right. The WWE would only do this big bang sorta feud if a retirement was in order, and whenever a good commentator like Jerry Lawler is ready to throw in the towel, they're going to do something big. Once again, the guy is 61 years old.

Really, the biggest point of this storyline is to give Jerry Lawler a good send off.

You guys are ridiculous...First you complain that WWE is little kids show and that its watered down from what it used to be. Now that they bring some edge back its offensive.. Its wrestling, there suppose to take it far. i suppose it wasnt going too far when you had the Godfather bring women to the ring every week and calling them his hoes. Or how bout Orton hand cuffing HHH to the ring while he molests his wife right in front of him, or CM Punk threatening to commit suicide on national tv, or the undertaker hanging the big bossman....i can go on for days.. ITS ENTERTAINMENT!!!!.... Honestly it was a low blow, but Lawler obviously knew about it and agreed to it. It actually brought some realism back to wrestling for wunce.

Cole's taunts were not very PG friendly. I was surprised the WWE went with this move, as it smacks of TNA's efforts for desperate ratings grabber. If its purely meant to hype this fight for Wrestlemania, Cole should blade himself for this match.

I didn't like Cole bringing up Lawler's Mother, but it certainly makes the fans hate him more, and want to see The King kick his ass, so it did what it was supposed to do and make Cole into an even bigger heel.

Lawler would have obviously been ok with it, or it would not have been allowed to have been said. Personally, I think King has carried his side of this feud really well and it is about time that someone gives Cole what he has coming to him. Initially I did not have high hopes for this feud, with a non-wrestler (Cole) and a 60+ year old (Lawler), but they have surprised me, and I think Jerry Lawler vs Michael Cole match at Wrestlemania is actually something I want to see.

Gotta applaud both these men for what they have done in this feud so far, I know not all fans agree but I do think it has been done as well as it could have been.

the whole show that night wasn't very PG you had Cena telling the rock to blow him which is kind of...ew. But as soon as Cole mentioned Kings mother I got up out of my seat eager to hear what he said next, he said he meant no disrepect so I relaxed a little, I'm a hardcore fan of WWE but as soon as Cole said that King let her down I practically shouted at the TV 'JERRY FUCKING SLAP HIM!' King of coarse had to give the okay, you have people saying Undertaker and Triple H's return was shit well compare it to this and its beaten, it didn't get Cole heat it gave everyone a reason to attack him. I wouldn't be surprised if we see in a paper 'Micheal Cole attacked over his promo on RAW' still he ran away like a pussy after and it made me laugh, and yeah the whole thing was scripted but it shouldn't have been. Maybe WWE is going out of the PG era finally, over the past few weeks it seems to be doing that.

What i dont understand about WWE and their PG rating is how things such as this are okay, and how CM Punk threatning to jump off a titantron comitting suicide a while back on RAW are okay

Yet blood, chair shots, cursing are not okay? I was outright disturbed when CM Punk was talking about jumping off that thing, and seeing WWE have Cole get heat by mentioning Kings dead mother is in piss poor taste. I truly believe the crowd was booing at the writers and not so much at Cole as he was just doing what he was told.

I simply do not understand where they are coming from

I didn't find it that offensive, and I have a dead father. Lawler understands that Cole getting the most heat possible is the best way to get this feud over. Yes, Cole already has a substantial amount of heat, but Cole had to say something to King that made fans wanna say "oh, I hope he socks him in the mouth." Since Cole ran away and didn't get hit, it makes most fans wanna tune in to see Cole get his. And since they pulled the trigger on this match with a six week build, they need a good amount of firepower behind it. Getting things rolling by Cole mentioning King's mother was the best way to do it.

You guys are ridiculous...First you complain that WWE is little kids show and that its watered down from what it used to be. Now that they bring some edge back its offensive.. Its wrestling, there suppose to take it far. i suppose it wasnt going too far when you had the Godfather bring women to the ring every week and calling them his hoes. Or how bout Orton hand cuffing HHH to the ring while he molests his wife right in front of him, or CM Punk threatening to commit suicide on national tv, or the undertaker hanging the big bossman....i can go on for days.. ITS ENTERTAINMENT!!!!.... Honestly it was a low blow, but Lawler obviously knew about it and agreed to it. It actually brought some realism back to wrestling for wunce.

This totally. The IWC are so hypocritical it's shocking. First it's too light hearted and then it's too serious. Make your damn minds up! I don't see why anyone should be offended, it's clear Lawler agreed to it or they wouldn't have done it. It adds a personal touch to the fued and I thought the segment was really well done.

None of you can deny you want to see Lawler kick Cole's ass now after that segment. You can hardly build a rivalry over some comments while they were on commentary can you?

Also on the whole PG thing I feel WWE is certainly moving away from PG because they even had Cena bring back his battle rap which certainly pushed the boundaries. You had Rock the week before. It's only a matter of time before this becomes a normal thing and we go towards an equilibrium between attitude era and PG era.

Has anyone thought that it wasn't the writers who brought it up, but the King himself? I so was going to make a thread about this because no one seemed like they were going to, but here it is.

I liked it. I'm sorry, but I know that this is entertainment, I know that they have to get people invested into the match, I know they want people to HATE Cole, etc.

Even if I didn't know it was fake, I would be instantly rooting for Jerry to whip his ass. Now, it's not going to be match of the year, and it probably won't even be a singles match, but Jerry deserves something at WM, and he's going to get it.

Hell, besides whatever match Ziggler is in, I'm looking forward to this more than any other match announced.

Last night was just another reason I hate Michael Cole.

Yes I know this stuff is scripted, however even if that was in the script and King agreed to it. It shouldnt have been said.

Yes, last sunday she passed away, and probabaly affected king in his match vs The Miz (among other outside distractions), but I never would brought up his mother, ecspecially the way he did it, and he was smiling bout it the whole time. King's mother has nothing to do w/ the WWE, as far as I kno she's never been in the wwe in any point of her life, and the only connection she had to it was The King. If I was in Cole's spot, I never woulda brought it up, even if it was in the script. I respect King way more than that. It's bad enough Cole is obsessed w/ the Miz and Riley, and starts trash talking anyone who comes out to the ring who "doesn't belong there".

I wish WWE would get rid of Michael Cole. Bring back good ole JR. Or if he doesnt want to come back, have King and Josh Matthews do Raw, and then Booker and Striker do Smackdown.

I really hope that 2 things happen in the near future

1. the anonymous RAW GM lifts the physical contact ban on King and Michael Cole.
2. They make the match between Cole and King official for Wrestlemania.

Michael Cole needs to get a reality check and King is just the guy to give him one. Here you have the so called "Voice of the WWE" who thinks he knows everything about the WWE and thinks he knows everything about wrestling, yet he's never been in a match before. King Has, Booker Has, I think even Matt Striker had, and CM Punk while he was an announcer has been in matches. Cole knows absolutely nothing about wrestling. I bet Hornswoggle could beat him in a match 1 on 1.

Also you noticed how Cole ran like a 2 yr old girl last night after King issued the challenge and then Cole hit him with water. If he was a real man, he woulda accepted the challenge and wouldnt have ran like a little girl.

Also, props to Josh Matthews for reading the anonymous GM's email with out saying.... "Attention Please, I have just received an email from the anonymous Raw GM" or "And I Quote". If only Michael Cole could get that through is hard head

I did not find this personally offensive what-so-ever.. I thought it was clever, and really breathed life into this feud.. Im excited to see Michael Cole get pounded at wrestlemania.

The reason WHY you shouldn't be offended is simple, the day after his mother passed both The Miz and Michael Cole were VERY respectful of her passing, they in NO way shape or form used what would have been a "cheap and easy" shot to gain heat for the upcomming match. It's quite obvious everyone was waiting on Jerry to get back.

Re-listen to the promo, this isn't like Orton stating Eddie is "in hell".. He isn't bashing the memory of a deceassed person, he is bashing the guy for loosing a title match a few days after his mother died. He is bashing ONLY jerry, and bringing up his mother's passing REALLY did help this feud.

I can't imagine this going through without Jerry's consent, and it really has added a ton of Heat to Cole. who doesn't want to see Cole get his ass beat now?

I thought it was great it made Cole look like a total scumbag. Not to mention he threw a drink on King and than ran like a coward. Cole is becoming a great heel announcer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back