• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Morrison's "Charisma"

SMKM

Occasional Pre-Show
Simple discussion thread.

John Morrison and his "charisma". Some people hate it, some people love it, some people think it's non-existant. Personally I think John's pretty good on the mic, I really can't see anything wrong with it, and I can't see why you haters "cringe" at the thought of him speaking, if I had to rate it, I'd say he's a solid 7/10, a bit below where Miz is currently with mic skills. Hell, Morrison can pull off a near perfect "Macho Man" Randy Savage impression, and even that made him seem that much better in my opinion as seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thv0m3SZv9I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SO! What do you guys think about Morrison and his mic skills now that we are a few days away from Wrestlemania 27, granted he's not doing a "good" match this year so he's not getting much mic time (then again when does he?) but if you've been watching these recent vids of him down at THQ trying to promote "WWE All Stars" then maybe you'd notice he's vastly improved since his debut, and he's NOT THAT BAD!

*ps John should turn heel, his best mic work was a as a heel :worship:

Here is the thing about John's match at mania, Beyond the Rock going to mania it is one of the most publicized matches on the card Atm. Why? Simple, because of that god awful troll Snookie. I hate the bitch, yes I do. But damn does she carry a following. Some new viewers will turn into mania to see just Snookie in that match. I have no clue why anyone would want to see her in a match, but right now John is getting a but load of self promotion simply because of her.

John is alright on the mic, but he seems to stumble a bit as a face. He cuts an amazing I'm better than you pretty boy heel promo when he is heel. But right now the E' is using him as a face and he is drowning in the big pond that is faces right now. I say put him in a program with Sheamus just one more time, have him win the title. Drop the title back to Db or to Sheamus and then with the mic time he gets in that program shoot him back into the ME scene.

I like Morrison quite a bit. I think he carries himself well, he's acrobatic to an almost inhuman degree and he has a ridiculous physique. I would agree that he's better suited to working as a heel as well. Beyond that I only have one gripe. Starship Pain is a terrible finisher. The Moonlight Drive was infinitely better...

The guy can definitely talk when he's allowed to cut loose, the problem is he's not good going off a script (just like everyone else) but he's getting better.

Morrison was great on the mic when he was a heel on ECW and when he was teaming up with The Miz.The fact that he could hold his own against a "good talker" like The Miz should show everyone who thinks The Miz is a good talker how good Morrison can be.His ring work is terrific and he can be good on the mic when given the chance.I think he just needs more emotion and intensity in his promos instead of the laid-back SoCal guy he's projecting right now.I thought Morrison had a great chance to prove his worth on the mic when CM Punk sprayed him in the eyes with something before the Elimination Chamber,but WWE didn't even give him the mic and skipped over Morrison straight to Orton.Oh well,if CM Punk can start a feud with Orton over something that happened 3 years ago,then I guess Morrison can start a feud with Punk over something that happened in February.

Morrison was awesome when he was with Miz. I don't like Miz, but I did then. I think that in a "charisma" sense, he works good as a heel. But, as a face he's kinda bland. I don't think Morrison should be a heel though. I think high flyers have a hard time being believable heels. Example: So you steal Rey's mask, cool. But you can do a reverse 450? How could someone not pop for that?

I think to put over the parkour thing he should incorporate a finish that uses that in a better way. He's calling the Flying Chuck the Flash Kick now, or at least the commentators are, but I think he should use a Street Fighter style Flash Kick. I mean he can do a split leg twisting moonsault at damn near any point in a match, why not a standing backflip?

I hope thy do more to develop JoMo's character though. I know he has it in him, he just needs a chance to improve on it.

Morrison was way better as a heel since he had more time with it. He debuted as a heel with MNM in 2005, and turned face in 2009. While face he didn't do much compared to his heel run.

I'm sure he is able to do it and become great. But the way he talked as a heel had a good edge to it that was funny. Like when he and Miz would do that pose and look in the same direction in the sky.

Morrison can do a good promo, he can be the funny face who can make fun of the heels if he's allowed to write his own jokes and have his own script. If that's not an option (cause Vince might think these "writers' are top notch) then Morrison could do the Orton thing, not being named after a snake, no but more like a guy who doesn't talk much and gets shit done. We've seen the vicious side of him when he fought Migillicuty and I think if incorporates that into his character he also has a potential to be a serious face. Charisma doesn't just come from words, it comes from how you handle yourself. And he has charisma.

To me it looks as if Morrison struggles a bit when he has to smile or talk as a face. When he was a heel it seemed so real and believable. Morrison great on the mic when he was a heel. Remember the Dirt Sheet? He did very well with the Dirt Sheet. Morrison has potential.

Simple discussion thread.

John Morrison and his "charisma". Some people hate it, some people love it, some people think it's non-existant. Personally I think John's pretty good on the mic, I really can't see anything wrong with it, and I can't see why you haters "cringe" at the thought of him speaking, if I had to rate it, I'd say he's a solid 7/10, a bit below where Miz is currently with mic skills. Hell, Morrison can pull off a near perfect "Macho Man" Randy Savage impression, and even that made him seem that much better in my opinion as seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thv0m3SZv9I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SO! What do you guys think about Morrison and his mic skills now that we are a few days away from Wrestlemania 27, granted he's not doing a "good" match this year so he's not getting much mic time (then again when does he?) but if you've been watching these recent vids of him down at THQ trying to promote "WWE All Stars" then maybe you'd notice he's vastly improved since his debut, and he's NOT THAT BAD!

*ps John should turn heel, his best mic work was a as a heel :worship:

Wow. I just watched that video. THAT was great! Not only a great Macho Man impression but that was a TERRIFIC promo JoMo cut on Savage afterwards. People seem to think of Morrison as a spot monkey but just because he does a lot of crazy spots doesn't mean he is a spot MONKEY. He CAN wrestle well in the ring. Oh my goodness has that look. Does he ever have that look.

And while he can still do Parkour moves, I wish we saw more of this John Morrison again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1H4QSDXHU

That character made sense. The rockstar, the attitude, the way he carried himself. I would like to see that Morrison comeback. He even had a segment that fit his character. Now though he seems like a guy with a fancy hair doo, a jacket, shades and entertains us in the ring. John Morrison just seems like a regular name as opposed to when he first became JoMo.

Still though I am a mark. He is underrated on the mic and I am hoping he becomes WWE champion one day. With the attention this guy gets from the IWC, more than others and with him being an upper mid carder, I can't see how it doesn't happen. People love him. People hate him. But damnit he finds a way to get the people talking.

The thing about charisma is that, like many other qualities a wrestler needs to possess, fans constantly compare it of wrestlers today from wrestlers of yesterday. The problem with that is so many fans have an overly exaggerated idea of just how great wrestlers of yesterday were. For instance, The Rock & Stone Cold were absolutely great and it's a viewpoint I very much share. But the nostalgia generated by remembering some of the things they did back in the day makes them seem to be even better than they actually were. Among many that make up the IWC, if you're not as good as someone like The Rock or Stone Cold on the mic, then you just don't have any charisma just like you're not good inside the ring if you're not on the level of Shawn Michaels or Kurt Angle.

As a heel, John Morrison was pretty good on the mic most of the time in my view. He wasn't on The Rock's level but that doesn't mean he was bad. Modern English dictionaries define charisma as compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others. It's also described as a divinely conferred power or talent. John Morrison is over with fans and is able to keep them interested in what he's doing. That is what matters more than anything else in pro wrestling. If the fans don't give a shit, then it doesn't matter how good you look or how athletic you are.

Now i am a huge morrison fan, but i see a lot of people saying his mic work sucks. Why? Just because the WWE doesnt give him much mic time to work with doesnt mean he sucks, his promos were great against ziggler, mcyntire and miz before their feuds in 09, he just hasnt had mic time on RAW. Now i agree that JoMo is a better heel, but arent most? Heels have more freedom on what they can say and that allows them to be funny and hateful, which makes them better on the mic, as a face it is more difficult to keep people interested with your mic work. Edge and Christian and Cena do well with it, thats a different breed of charisma and experience so they know what to do. People like Miz do not impress me on the mic (just fyi i am not a miz hater) he is fairly good, but i do not think he is as amazing as ppl on the forums say, i am not saying morrison is better than miz either, i am just saying i think JoMo is better on the mic than ppl give him credit for is all, much better

Someone's mic skills should be at the bottom of the pile in terms of getting a push. It should go how hard you work, your in ring skills, how over you are then mic skills. As for JoMo's mic skills, he may not seem natural but that could easily be because hes not. He is scripted for the most part as far as i know(if im rong correct me). People say Give him a heavily scripted promo and he shall be better. I say no. They should write their own promos so they couldnt possibly forget it OR not know how to interpret it. Not only that they ill seem more natural because it IS natural.

And i agree if you based whether or not someone was a heel or face by ho good of a heel they are, then everyone in WWE would be a heel! all you have to do is say this town sucks then beat down a face and then walk away all cocky and shout out "im better than you" and there you go speat. its like spam but with heat;)

I cant stand for John Morrison (so yes i'm a hater xD) however i know what he brings to the WWE!!

He is awesome in the ring, we all know that he can make us very very entertained!!
And the part of his mic work: he isnt the best, and surely not the worst (that one i give to Mason Ryan, owhhhh he really sucks)

So i dont know why people say that he is bad!! Well maybe compared to the main-eventers, he is one or two point down, but he is good he only has to improve his acting, that looks so forced, that make me want to break my TV!!
Make him a Heel, and there you have a perfect John Morrison!!

Oh and just a reply to Miz vs Morrison mic work, well Miz is better withouth any doubt!! He is indeed awesome in the mic, and for surely he have made an impact in every people, especially in that Cena/Rock/Miz feud!!

There is just one thing that he and John Morrison needs is a fight that consolidate his carrer!!
The Miz is on his way to have it, we only have to wait for JoMo (maybe with CM Punk, that would be awesome)

I am a huge JoMo supporter, I freaked out after he lost EC to John Cena last month. His wrestling is great, and his parkour makes his awesome spots look sick. Anyway, onto the topic.

Though, JoMo has a lot of flash, his mic work indeed sucks. Anybody can easily tell he's reading from a script, and I think that's why he isn't so good. JoMo never sounds comfortable, and he's given the most stupid lines and jokes. John Morrison just needs to say what he wants to say, and he'll be awesome. Given, his mic work as a heel aren't great, but they were solid, especially with The Miz. But the big problem with John's mic work is, it's just so terrible. Rey Mysterio has bad mic work, but at least it's convincing enough, the same goes for Kofi Kingston and even Daniel Bryan.

John Morrison just needs to say things he wants to say. He can nail it without sounding phony. And it's a damn shame too, WWE is high on mic work, the prime example is The Miz. He's not great in the ring, but his mic work is spectacular. That's what made them such a great tag team. Miz could talk and cut great promos making JoMo look good, while JoMo could wrestle and make good matches, making Miz look good. Now they both have to improve with their disabilities. So far, Miz has been doing bad, his matches with Randy Orton were terrible. And as for John Morrison, his mic work has gotten more bland by the month, but WWE, HOPEFULLY, will be forced to let JoMo say what he wants to say, so he improves.

I want you to watch a promo by Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Ric Flair and hell even John Cena. All great workers on the microphone.

Then watch a promo by John Morrison.

You will instantly see what people mean when they say he has no microphone skills. He has no passion in his voice, ever. And it isn't put on like say, Randy Orton, he just genuinely seems like he doesn't give a crap even when he's supposed to.

He's not entertaining as a face, and he isn't cunning as a heel. Two of the important characteristics to have when you're one or the other on the microphone. Remember when he refered to Dolph Ziggler as "Mr. Ziggles"? That wasn't smart, funny or anything else in-between.

John Morrison is a fantastic worker, the guy can do amazing shit. But he has no skills on the microphone, he's like Kofi Kingston. He just doesn't seem to give two squirts a piss.

If you can't make people believe, then you're not good on the microphone.

I cant stand for John Morrison (so yes i'm a hater xD) however i know what he brings to the WWE!!

He is awesome in the ring, we all know that he can make us very very entertained!!
And the part of his mic work: he isnt the best, and surely not the worst (that one i give to Mason Ryan, owhhhh he really sucks)

So i dont know why people say that he is bad!! Well maybe compared to the main-eventers, he is one or two point down, but he is good he only has to improve his acting, that looks so forced, that make me want to break my TV!!
Make him a Heel, and there you have a perfect John Morrison!!

Oh and just a reply to Miz vs Morrison mic work, well Miz is better withouth any doubt!! He is indeed awesome in the mic, and for surely he have made an impact in every people, especially in that Cena/Rock/Miz feud!!

There is just one thing that he and John Morrison needs is a fight that consolidate his carrer!!
The Miz is on his way to have it, we only have to wait for JoMo (maybe with CM Punk, that would be awesome)

Ryan is new... and he has a strong Welsh accent which will always be hard for Americans to understand. It's one of the barriers McIntyre has had too that his accent is very thick. Guys like Regal, Sheamus, Finlay and Barrett have clearer diction which helps their promos... Both will improve as they become more Americanised.

As for Jo-Mo the acting isn't the issue, he needs a manager, he always was best with Melina... I know WWE is positioning him as the new superhero but he needs to even get back with her... or hows this... have Sunny or Trish manage him for a while... Sunny would work with her HOF induction and how she was always "the lucky charm" for tag teams... why not have her go for one last go for the big one... the belt I mean you dirty minded people lol...

But seriously, the best angle for Morrison post Mania is the managers vying for him, promising him the title... Michael Cole, Sunny, LayCool, Barrett, Melina... maybe even Miz himself if Cena goes over... They did it with Bam Bam years ago but it hasn't really been done since...

I want you to watch a promo by Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Ric Flair and hell even John Cena. All great workers on the microphone.

:lmao:

I understand your point but John Cena does not belong in the same sentence as those legendary mic workers. Cena may have good projection on the mic but he himself is very horrible and cheesy on the mic that it's cringeworthy. The difference is he gets plenty of mic time so he's viewed as better than a few guys in WWE but the truth is that he's equally as bad as Morrison if not worse.

But as for the topic, Jomo just sucks. 90% of the talent in WWE can't talk but Jomo is so noticeable because as a heel on ECW, he was awesome but when he broke away from Miz and became face, we all saw that he needed some brushing up on his mic work. WWE being heavily scripted is the problem which is why I think WWE promos for the most part indeed suck compared to TNA.

:lmao:

I understand your point but John Cena does not belong in the same sentence as those legendary mic workers. Cena may have good projection on the mic but he himself is very horrible and cheesy on the mic that it's cringeworthy. The difference is he gets plenty of mic time so he's viewed as better than a few guys in WWE but the truth is that he's equally as bad as Morrison if not worse.

But as for the topic, Jomo just sucks. 90% of the talent in WWE can't talk but Jomo is so noticeable because as a heel on ECW, he was awesome but when he broke away from Miz and became face, we all saw that he needed some brushing up on his mic work. WWE being heavily scripted is the problem which is why I think WWE promos for the most part indeed suck compared to TNA.

My point wasn't to place him with them, it was to get over how WWE's top guy can be compared as better than Morrison, hence the words "...hell even...".

Although you seem to have a very poor perception of John's microphone skills, it's one thing I personally compliment him on, at least when he's on-screen. As his microphone skills are much better than his wrestling. But in another sense, in todays WWE he might be one of the top mic guys, but no he can't hang with the likes of Flair and Austin.

JoMo has pretty good mic skills as a heel, however as a face they just dont click most of the time. I wouldnt mind seeing JoMo becoming a face and working the crowd with the "Im prettier than you therefore Im better than you". We've seen it done before and always found it entertaining.

In recent years, really since he turned face, Morrison hasn't gotten very much mic time at all. The few times he has, most of those instances have been pretty bad. A lot of the problem lies with the fact that JoMo has tried to tell jokes in most of those promos, really corny ones at that. Since Morrison's push back into the realm of relevancy late last summer, he's still had very limited promo work but it's been much better. Morrison's comments were to the point and focused with no corny jokes, no trying to be the guy with the sense of humor and all that.

Morrison has been, generally speaking, portrayed as more focused and more aggressive in the ring and it's really helped people get behind him. If he can bring that kind of intensity into his promo the next time he's handed a mic, it could do a lot for him.

Honestly, John Morrison may be the only person i can think of that his in-ring ability compensates for the fact that he cant talk. I mean really, does anybody really even care about how good on the mic he is? Alls people are really interested in is what he can get done in the ring. He also has the type of character and swag that he doesnt need to talk that much. Cant really think of anybody else whose ring work is THAT good to where they dont need to talk, but Morrison can

Geez, again? We just had a thread discussing Morrison's "charisma", which encompassed discussing his mic work, the benefit of being heel or face, etc. And I'm sure there have been dozens more.

He seems like he has charisma yet it just comes across forced. This may be due to the fact that everything is so strictly scripted. When you see videos of him touring around THQ for the new videogame or whatever else, he seems a lot more relaxed and enjoyable to listen to. He just sounds like such a bad actor on WWE programming, like either he can't really get behind what he's saying, or even as if he's using a tone of voice that isn't even his own. Compared to a guy like CM Punk who sounds completely natural, it just distracts you from hearing what Morrison has to say, you just focus on how awkward it sounds.

I'm a huge fan of Morrisons in ring work, but not his promo work. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be. However he will have to improve his mic skills before he gets a world title reign at least as a face. When he was a heel he seemed much more comfortable on the mic and his promos didn't come off as robotic as they do now.

The problem is their is not direction givin to Morrisons characters what does a face at like?

Every face is different, until they decide what kind of face he is his promo's will continue to sound forced and scripted make him agressive like a kurt angle, cocky like a HBK, A hyped up super star like a 90's sting or macho man give him some type of direction you cant have good promo's if you dont have a set type of character outside the ring, then its just a guy speaking into a microphone, ask your self what is john morrison's character's ???? he has not had one in years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back