• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**MERGED** Brodus Clay Discussion- KEEP IT ALL IN HERE!

ok all you anal looser jackwaggons tha whine and cry about being bored and nothing new PISS OFF.....Ohhhh he wasnt a monster we want a monster wahhhh wahhhh....in two weeks it will be...Brodus is another boring monster send him back to FCW or future endevor. STFU.

there now I feel better...when he came out I had images of FLASH FUNK....THE GODFATHER...get the hoooooooooo train goin....its callled simply A GIMICK then again most of you adolecents have never seen one of those.

The days of Papa Shango...The IRON SHIEK....GI JOE SGT Slaughter....Mortis....Demolition....Da Bad Guy Razor Ramon Hell even the Patriot...Golddust...Huricane...Adrian Adonnis...VADER... its a loooooong list back to the time when wrestling was a SHOW.

You all bitch and moan about the attitude era...attitude era sucked you had no characters and spot monkeys became the rage and it was basically boring very few characters with the highlights being people saying Im gonna kick your ass. Wrestling is supposed to be FUN you jackwaggons stop takeing it so seriouly stop yer bitchin leave moms basement and well....as the big valboskey would say...GO GET LAID. Monday nights sit back and enjoy the show for the FUN its supposed to be

FUNKASAROUS IS AWSOME

i was just gonna start a thread on this. seriously i agree wtf. lol. he looks like P.N. News part deux. nothing screams dominant monster whatsoever. im very disappointed. maybe itll work but i dont seem him bein taken too seriously unless they make him squash everyone.

Is Clay Black???? Cause if so....This is again racism on the part of WWE.

1. Flash Funk Then 2 Cold Scorpio.
2. The Godfather (Dressed like a pimp) and his hoes
3. Now the supposed Brodus the Monster cane (Now a 80's Rapper looking gimmick)....WTF

This was quite simply one of the greatest things I've ever seen. In no way did I expect that to happen, and it was hilarious. I've re-watched it atleast 20 times - just sensational.

When I first heard Justin Roberts say 'the funkasaurus' or whatever, then heard the theme hit, I said to myself, 'what the fuck have they done to him.' Now it's all said and done, I'm a bit confused as to how I felt about all that. I mean, for the best part, Brodus did make it work, he looked enthusiastic in the role, his dancing weren't all that bad in the context of comedy. But most importantly, he delivered in the ring in what was a pretty much a straight forward squash match.

Though another part of me wonders if this is the best they can come up with? All that hype for them to debut another comedy gimmick? I hope that's not the case and they plan on doing something with the guy. Because I don't know if anyone here saw him on Superstars, but Brodus is good in the ring, despite all the hate he gets from people who probably never saw him. He's different in a good way. It's a shame because even though his ring work is that of a dominant powerhouse, his gimmick doesn't represent that. Though is this another example of WWE trying to be unpredictable? I don't think anybody expected that!

Yeah, I'm okay with it. It was a good laugh at least. There are a lot of complaints that WWE doesn't have enough gimmicks nowadays and that is ultimately one of the key conventions of what 'sports entertainment wrestling' is. Though I think Brodus is more talented than just being there to provide a laugh. I hope he can get him self over enough with the crowd to be moved onto something a bit more serious.

ok all you anal looser jackwaggons tha whine and cry about being bored and nothing new PISS OFF.....Ohhhh he wasnt a monster we want a monster wahhhh wahhhh....in two weeks it will be...Brodus is another boring monster send him back to FCW or future endevor. STFU.

You're right. Bitter and angry like a fat 14 year old, but right nonetheless.

there now I feel better...when he came out I had images of FLASH FUNK....THE GODFATHER...get the hoooooooooo train goin....its callled simply A GIMICK then again most of you adolecents have never seen one of those.

Yes, take notes all you adolescents. You should listen to this guy. He spelled gimmick wrong, but that's entirely besides the point, this is your role model. ;)

The days of Papa Shango...The IRON SHIEK....GI JOE SGT Slaughter....Mortis....Demolition....Da Bad Guy Razor Ramon Hell even the Patriot...Golddust...Huricane...Adrian Adonnis...VADER... its a loooooong list back to the time when wrestling was a SHOW.

Absolutely. The glitz and glamour are part of what make professional wrestling the historical phenom that it is.

You all bitch and moan about the attitude era...attitude era sucked you had no characters and spot monkeys became the rage and it was basically boring very few characters with the highlights being people saying Im gonna kick your ass. Wrestling is supposed to be FUN you jackwaggons stop takeing it so seriouly stop yer bitchin leave moms basement and well....as the big valboskey would say...GO GET LAID. Monday nights sit back and enjoy the show for the FUN its supposed to be

You need to up your dose of Ritalin and stop watching Geico commercials. And get over yourself with the "leave mom's basement" holier than thou BS. It got old 5 years ago.

Anyway, this is also true. It's supposed to be something you go to see that is unlike anything else. If you want MMA, go watch MMA. Professional wrestling isn't about stale tweener personas in perfectly choreographed clashes. Sometimes you just need to sit back, let your inhibitions go, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the show for what it is.

I have a few thoughts on this debut.

• He won't get over in the way he would have were he the monster heel we were expecting.
  • He may not even get over at all.
  • He'll probably end up being a comedy guy.
  • The gimmick doesn't play to his strengths.
  • It's quite frankly, laughable.

However, despite all these things, it was awesome. People shit on "swerves" a lot. But me? I love a good swerve. I want what I didn't see coming. And this, I really didn't see coming. I sat through the entire match with my mouth wide open. When something in wrestling is so entertaining it can make my jaw stop working, it's good.

By the way, when Justin Roberts said "hailing from Planet Funk", I couldn't have been the only one who thought "oh, Terry Funk's making a return". No joke. I genuinely thought that for a split-second. I'm ashamed.

Apparently they delayed his debut to make him more "angry" and "monster like". Well now we know that was bullsh*t I wanna know why delay it for one off the most misplaced gimmicks ever.

This was the best debut in recent memory, without a doubt. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring the fact that professional wrestling is, and always has been, about getting a reaction.

Maybe you were like me: your jaw dropped and you thought, "Wait... is this actually happening?", and you laughed for the entire match. Maybe you got angry, excited to see a new monster heel but instead given this dancing fool. Maybe you were just absolutely perplexed. Either way, the WWE found a way to get you pumped, and the 180 posts in response to something that happened yesterday clearly displays that.

I enjoyed the hell out of it, Vince told us to go fuck ourselves in a very obvious way, It was pretty awesome.

Who did you think he was talking to when he said "You weren't expecting that"

Obviously our useless crap that we spill out of our heads gets a little pick up on the radar, WWE just decided to give us something that no one has come up with or posted about yet.....even though I'm sure someone will say "I have been saying for weeks that he would be the Funkasaurus".....win, fail or inbetween; Good job guys.

This felt like the fun old school wrestling that I watched as a kid and I loved it! Clay will in my opinion get further and be much more over with this gimmick than just being another big monster heel. Kane is playing that role to perfection right now, so it was genius to let Clay do something completely off the wall and he was killing it with the way he made the entrance, the way he was moving around, and talking trash during the match. He was completely engrossed in the character and that me get more into the character. Kudos to Clay and WWE for pulling off something totally unexpected and pulling it off so well.

Thank god for something fresh. Rikishi made it big with his dancing big guy routine, and if Clay can stick with it, and see the potential, it'll do him good. Is he gonna stay with it for the rest of his career? hell no... but still, i'm commenting on page 19 of this thread only 14 hours later.... so whether you liked it, or hated it... WWE got you to give a damn about it in one way or another. look at Hawkins... who cared that he was there? half the people won't even remember who Brodus' opponent was last night. But everyone who watched is gonna remember Brodus' debut for quite a while.
Someone said not much reaction at all... well, the stunned look on everyone in the crowd is a reaction, and that's better than the almost nothing reactions that someone like Del Rio is known to get from time to time... all the time, lol. his announcer is more over than he is. Good surprise WWE.... good surprise.

He's obviously not a heel but he won't get over as a face either because his character is so sh!t. Saying that, its better than someone like Drew McIntyre or 60% of the roster who have no character or charisma.

After 20 some years of watching wrestling, and getting to the point we're at now. I'm tired of going all ''internet'' on every single thing WWE does, like some jaded critic. Forget that...THIS...was fun

I have been saying for so long, I want more gimmicks, and WWE is providing. Bringing back Masked Kane, and now, the unexpected NON moster cliche in BC. Clay looked like he was having a ball out there. And it's about time a wrestler looks like he/she is, and not just at a job.

I loved the Run DMC attire, the dancers, the throw back Ernest miller song, the talking in ring. I assume they raised the mic around the ring. It was just entertaining as all hell.

Who cares about ''Oh, well, it won't ''get over'' '', Why the hell do we talk like this, it's not our business to worry about that. We either enjoy it, or we don't. Quit over analyzing stuff. I'm happy with this. And I can't wait to see more.

Punk/Danielson as Champions, Masked kane, Brodus CLays re-debut, and Jericho's unique return. Im all over Wwe more than I have been in a good long time.

sorry guys, but im just waiting for the WWE to unleash the 'next big thing' upon us. im waiting for another austin, or a lesnar, or an HBK-type guy to come in and blow the roof off the building like back in the attitude era days. the talent pool right now is NOWHERE near the level of the late 90s , nor is not where it should be.

the attitude era (97-2003) stands out to me as the BEST time to be a fan of professionall wrestling because of all the legendary talent in the ring at that point in time. you got : austin, rock, bret hart, hbk, undertaker, lesnar, triple h, hardy boyz, edge / christian, kurt angle, benoit, guerrero, malenko, mysterio, lance storm, RVD, jerry lynn, taz, etc.....

these guys wrestled every week , and were the cream of the crop. put anyone of these guys in the main event, and it would be a guaranteed ratings draw.

but today, honestly, who is out there that can match up talent-wise with these legends??? CM PUNK for sure, orton, and uh.....cena (drawing power-wise).....uh.....who else??!!! (ziggler, rhodes, barrett, miz, although good, aint quite up there YET)

since when has a humorous, funny, off the wall gimmick ever led the wrestler to the world championship? it has NEVER happened. Guys like flash funk, norman smiley, alex wright, disco inferno, ernest the cat miller, the godfather, rikishi....etc....may have gotten popular at some point, but it was a very SHORT-LIVED and LIMITED. they have since disappeared into OBSCURITY.

which is why i HATE these stupid dancy/funky gimmicks because, although 'entertaining' to some follks (mostly casual fans) , this ultimately DOOMS the wrestler into the midcard and eventually GONE for good. diehards like me can't stand this s##$# and we just want some real bad **** with real wrestling talent and mic skills / storytelling ability.

we want NEW stars, with CHAMPIONSHIP POTENTIAL...potential to become the next BOX OFFICE DRAW.....uh...FUNKASAURUS??!!! yeah...i smell wrestlemania main event with this guy.....SMH

brodus to me had NO potential to begin with. i do NOT know what in the blue hell vince sees in the guy skill-wise or looks-wise. he just looks like a real life king hippo (from NES tyson's punchout) hahhaha

no matter how you repackage brodus, i just see him following the paths of HEIDENREICH, TYSON TOMKO, VLADIMIR KOSLOV, BIG DADDY V, PRINCE ALBERT, RIKISHI, KURGAN, lol, etc.....you know BIG ass dudes SHOVED down our throats by the wwe marketing machine....and when they don't connect with the fans (for OBVIOUS reasons), they just slink back down to WWE superstars and then into OBSCURITY.

I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed his debut. So he made Raw debut as a dancer? Oh well. I enjoyed seeing someone who is a "character". People complain that there isn't enough but when one comes out they don't like it. I don't see his Funkasourus gimmick being permanent. Most likely by the end of this year Brodus Clay will be the monster everybody has been hoping for.

We already have a monster steamrolling thought everybody, his name is Mark Henry. We don't need another one.

We already had a monster "funny" gimmick with "sexual chocolate", his name was Mark Henry and we don't need another one. We also currently have several funny gimmicks like santino and hornswaggle and imho we don't need ANY of them now. I don't tune in to watch (former) pro wrestling shows to watch humor from the 80s.

This gimmick was horrifyingly bad. My jaw dropped. It was so bad that as he was walking down the aisle, my mind (in an attempt to protect me from it) disconnected me from reality and took me to a place where it could not hurt me. A place where I felt safe and happy. I found myself walking through a field on a beautiful spring day as a child. I was walking home from school on a friday and it was the beginning of spring break. A whole two weeks from school with nothing to do but play. It was unseasonably cool and the sky was clear and blue. I felt myself falling to the ground and then I was staring up into that same clear blue sky. Then it felt as though I was floating towards it, slow at first but then faster and faster and I began to have tunnel vision towards it, the rest of the world gone now. The sky became dark and full of clouds. It was at this point that I realized that the funkasaurus gimmick was so bad my body was literally shutting down. I knew I had maybe only moments left to live so I had to FIGHT. I began to struggle and toss and turn as though having a seizure. I awoke on the floor, covered in vomit and I had apparently wet myself as well. I looked up at the tv and Brodus said "Weren't expecting that were you?".

I don't know if anyone else is open to doing this but I think it'd be cool if everyone would give their age and opinion at the end of their post. I'll start:

I'm 37 and I HATED it.

We already had a monster "funny" gimmick with "sexual chocolate", his name was Mark Henry and we don't need another one. We also currently have several funny gimmicks like santino and hornswaggle and imho we don't need ANY of them now. I don't tune in to watch (former) pro wrestling shows to watch humor from the 80s.

This gimmick was horrifyingly bad. My jaw dropped. It was so bad that as he was walking down the aisle, my mind (in an attempt to protect me from it) disconnected me from reality and took me to a place where it could not hurt me. A place where I felt safe and happy. I found myself walking through a field on a beautiful spring day as a child. I was walking home from school on a friday and it was the beginning of spring break. A whole two weeks from school with nothing to do but play. It was unseasonably cool and the sky was clear and blue. I felt myself falling to the ground and then I was staring up into that same clear blue sky. Then it felt as though I was floating towards it, slow at first but then faster and faster and I began to have tunnel vision towards it, the rest of the world gone now. The sky became dark and full of clouds. It was at this point that I realized that the funkasaurus gimmick was so bad my body was literally shutting down. I knew I had maybe only moments left to live so I had to FIGHT. I began to struggle and toss and turn as though having a seizure. I awoke on the floor, covered in vomit and I had apparently wet myself as well. I looked up at the tv and Brodus said "Weren't expecting that were you?".

I don't know if anyone else is open to doing this but I think it'd be cool if everyone would give their age and opinion at the end of their post. I'll start:

I'm 37 and I HATED it.

I'm 21 and I LOVED it.

Wrestling is supposed to be fun, and not to be taken seriously, it's a television show with characters and storylines. I enjoyed his new gimmick because we don't have alot of gimmicks anymore, and it will be good for Brodus because he's very talented and agile for a big man, he'll be able to get over with this gimmick. It's a gimmick that is completely out of left field and nobody saw it coming, and it's great.

If he was a monster heel, he could have ended up like Umaga, Khali, Mark Henry for the last decade, Mason Ryan, or heel Big Zeke. This gimmick will get him over, that's all that matters.

When I saw Brodus Clay, I began to laugh and smile, it was hilarious. Hell, I enjoyed all the cheesiness and corniness about RAW last night, because it was entertaining. This gimmick will make people care about him much more than if he was "generic monster heel # 102," trust me. Clay's got the charisma, the mic skills, the talent, he can make this gimmick work. And, anytime in the future he can be a monster heel like so many people want him to be. But this is a completely different approach to debuting a big man, because usually they come out, dominate a few matches for months, then get pushed in a feud with the Champion, then lose and fall to obscurity. This gimmick will make more people care about him than if he was a heel.

I think this debut and the many opinions on it show you the difference between the people who watch wrestling to be entertained, and the one's who take it way too seriously.

itssoeasy123,

AJ Styles, samoa joe, robert roode, james storm, kazarian, austin aries, motor city machine guns, kurt angle.....these guys are better in the ring than 90% of the guys on the WWE roster.

oh TNA can definitely compete with the WWE....if only they BOOKED their talent CORRECTLY!!!!! TNA needs to stop being WWE part 2 and just be impact WRESTLING, with an emphasis on WRESTLING....but anyway, thats another thread completely....

as far as brodus 'debut'....read my post on page 19 for a detailed analysis and where i stand. i'm a diehard wrestling fan and i HATED it...

the gimmick was horrible, but first and foremost, brodus clay SUCKS. he just plainly doesnt have 'IT.' he doesn't have the CHARISMA, the MIC SKILLS, the WRESTLING ABILITY, the LOOK, ....no matter how you repackage the guy, he just SUCKS. i honestly don't know what vince sees in the guy skill-wise or look-wise. even if he came out as a monster heel i would have cared less.

these dancy/ funky gimmicks, unless you are ALEX WRIGHT (the FUNNIEST character in the history of wrestling) are DOOMED to fail.

since when has a dancing / funky gimmick ever led the wrestler to a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?? NONE. so why bother

we don't need another santino, or another big daddy v, or another stupid comedy act. WWE needs the next austin, it needs the next lesnar, the next HBK....we are short on awesome talent.....and brodus clay should have NEVER made the main roster to begin with

I'm 25 and I loved it.

I've read these forums for a long time and have been a longtime wrestling fan, but this is the first time I've felt a real need to post. I think Brodus Clay's debut was one of the best in recent history, especially for a monster-type wrestler.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had been dreading Clay's eventual debut due in large part to the monster-heel we were going to have to go through again. Let's face it, those kind of characters have a short shelf life and they all follow the same arc. Feed them jobbers, build up their competition, give them a sniff near the top and then ultimately, turn them into a joke and a jobber themselves. Brodus defies the monster logic by having a personality and one that quite frankly is hilarious. I feel like anyone turned off by his character wants to be wrestling to be serious business, and lets face it, it never has been nor will it ever be serious. Even in the Attitude Era which people look back so fondly on, there were characters that were good for a laugh. Some worked, some didn't but they were hardly serious. How soon we forget that Edge started as a vampire and turned into a comedy duo before being able to claim he was a hall of famer.

Do I think Brodus will have a run as a top guy in the WWE? Probably not. But at least he will be entertaining in the meantime. And that's ultimately the reason I tune in on Monday nights.

We already had a monster "funny" gimmick with "sexual chocolate", his name was Mark Henry and we don't need another one.

Sexual Chocolate was well over a decade ago! It might seem like recent memory for the more mature right honourable poster, but you have to keep in mind that a large proportion of the WWE's audience is made up of younger fans.

And since Henry left the Sexual Chocolate gimmick, there have always been "funny monsters" in his place, like Rikishi as part of Too Cool, the World's Largest Love Machine Viscera, and even the Big Show and Kane have done the odd comedy turn. (I still think of myself as of one the 20,000 screaming Kanenites!)

So yes, I believe that we do need funny big guys - so long as they still are good in the ring to back it up - to break up the monotony of monster heel after monster heel.

Wow. Some of you guys don't know how to RELAX!
Brodus Clay had an awesome debut. It was funny, entertaining and captivated my attention. Honestly, I didn't give one fuck about Brodus re-debuting until I saw the Funkasaurus. I just thought he was gonna be another boring ass monster heel. We've seen that already, and Brodus wasn't gonna re-invigorate that idea. Wrestling is all about a fun product, and Brodus did that. Hell, I was laughing the whole match (except for the crossbody ending, because I felt bad for Hawkins). Especially the way he talks throughout his whole offense (Was I the only one who heard him yell "Oh yeah! Suplex!"?)

The Funkasaurus could take Brodus farther than the original Brodus was ever going to go. And to those who say his gimmick can't be taken seriously enough to get him anywhere, you might not have noticed that Zack Ryder, the Jersey Shore knockoff who gels his hair and fist pumps, is the US champion...

As soon as he came out I immediately thought of Rikishi, both big guys, both danced in the ring both had/has stupid gimmicks (Rikishi Stink Face, Clay obviously Funkasaurus). Rikishi had a great run back in 2000 when he was big and if they had let him keep going he would've become a great fan favorite because I know I loved him, and think the kids will dig this..

To each his own but I "get it". I'm old and this is what WWE is about these days. This is a good thing and a monster heel is a bad thing.

Fantastic debut. Everyone who's hating on this clearly has no idea what they're talking about. They want everyone to be the perfect badguy, think everyone should turn heel, and refuse to lighten up and enjoy what they're watching. Oddly enough, those are the kind of people that become so disillusioned with the product and grow to hate it. Guess what? You're bad fans. Deal with it.

I loved this. It was funny, it was different, and it made a lot more of an impact than debuting another random jobber-squasher would have made. I'm happy WWE is finally bringing back the idea of the gimmick, because that's what wrestling used to be all about, back when it was BETTER. Go figure. Loved this.

Proud to get Post #200 right there. Pahahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back