• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**MERGED** Brodus Clay Discussion- KEEP IT ALL IN HERE!

Everybody complains that the WWE needs to do something different, then complains when they do. I enjoy his new gimmick, wrestling needs to be fun. Everybody complains about wanting the Attitude era back, and doesn't realize it was full of gimmicks just like this, just everybody has selective memory, and only remembers SCSA, the Rock, Taker, and Vinnie Mac and family. This new gimmick is a step in the right direction, over everybody being the same.

No doubt it's definitely a step away from the traditional heel debut, too bad it's not a step away from typical WWE humor. Dancing big man called the "Funkasaurus"? Lame... its always a dancing fat man isn't it? Or a midget.

Brodus did a fine job with it, though. The crowd interaction was very well done although its surprising to see how dead the audience was during his initial entrance. It was kinda cool seeing somewhat of a gimmick though, as goofy as it was.

My other complaint is that JR wasn't at the table. Ross's dignified reaction to crap like this always kills me.

Call Clay's momma, cause this wasn't terrible. I can see the longevity of this thing suffering a little, but Kane's the monster of Raw right now so this works fine with me. It beats Generic Wrestler #24,692 in squash match no. 2,000,000.

sorry guys, but im just waiting for the WWE to unleash the 'next big thing' upon us. im waiting for another austin, or a lesnar, or an HBK-type guy to come in and blow the roof off the building like back in the attitude era days. the talent pool right now is NOWHERE near the level of the late 90s , nor is not where it should be.

the attitude era (97-2003) stands out to me as the BEST time to be a fan of professionall wrestling because of all the legendary talent in the ring at that point in time. you got : austin, rock, bret hart, hbk, undertaker, lesnar, triple h, hardy boyz, edge / christian, kurt angle, benoit, guerrero, malenko, mysterio, lance storm, RVD, jerry lynn, taz, etc.....

these guys wrestled every week , and were the cream of the crop. put anyone of these guys in the main event, and it would be a guaranteed ratings draw.

but today, honestly, who is out there that can match up talent-wise with these legends??? CM PUNK for sure, orton, and uh.....cena (drawing power-wise).....uh.....who else??!!! (ziggler, rhodes, barrett, miz, although good, aint quite up there YET)

since when has a humorous, funny, off the wall gimmick ever led the wrestler to the world championship? it has NEVER happened. Guys like flash funk, norman smiley, alex wright, disco inferno, ernest the cat miller, the godfather, rikishi....etc....may have gotten popular at some point, but it was a very SHORT-LIVED and LIMITED. they have since disappeared into OBSCURITY.

which is why i HATE these stupid dancy/funky gimmicks because, although 'entertaining' to some follks (mostly casual fans) , this ultimately DOOMS the wrestler into the midcard and eventually GONE for good. diehards like me can't stand this s##$# and we just want some real bad **** with real wrestling talent and mic skills / storytelling ability.

Well for a first time showing... it was not fun, it was not entertaining and Brodus Clay does not even have the Rythm to back up this new Gimmick.
I really can't see what WWE could possibly do with Brodus Clay here to make him a success.... I suppose only time will tell.

But I AM skeptical

Yeah fuck you guys. That was probably the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen. I know a lot of people are going to hate it, 90% of you have no sense of humor whatsoever, but I thought it was awesome. Instead of debuting ANOTHER monster heel type to just run through everybody and have absolutely nobody care, they went in a completely different direction. He has a chance to get over with this, that's for sure.

Agreed, this new "gimmick" seems to be a hybrid of Godfather, Stripper Rikishi, and some thug rapper... which ironically came out to be pretty nice. I don't know if this is WWE's way of trying new gimmicks or what, but I really liked it. It came across as something new and fresh, and that much is always a positive because it shows that WWE is at least trying. Besides, other than Ted DiBiase (who is now a face), I don't remember too many people being face after having their movies released...

First I would like to start by pointing out the reason the fun gimmicks fail is because people don't find the wrestler believable hence why having a gimmick tends to land people in hot water and it "stalls" their careers....

Now let's look at the catch 22 of this situation, if he would have come out there being the monster everyone expected it would have been oh look ANOTHER big guy monster who cares what does he bring to the table no one cares....

Brodus Clay is 31 years old... He has time to still be the next "monster" hell look at Mark Henerys gimmick evolution. or Viscera..

The Raw Brand is hurting for Faces, the WWE is hurting for Gimmicks. I did watch his debut and it left me very confused.

A. They have been playing him up like this monster who is not going to be happy when he does debut because it keeps getting pushed back.

B. when he does debut not only does he debut as a face but he comes out from planet funk...

I've never heard Brodus talk... If he can talk I think this could be a REALLY good gimmick for him. If he can't work the mic back to FCW he shall go.

Now the reason I say it could be a good gimmick is because it's something "new" on a big man I've never found Brodus Clay to be an intimidating figure at least not in the traditional sense. So I think being the funk master could potentially work.

He has the size and "power" to make a crazy gimmick like this work and it leaves LOTS of places for him to explore character growth.

So yes as a way to debut him after holding it off so long it was a bit of a letdown. However I feel if we give the gimmick a chance and at least see where it is going it might lead somewhere interesting. That is of course if the collective IWC is willing to take a chance on something crazy.

Well I've been talking up Brodus Clay for over a year now. Loved him on NXT - should've won the damn thing. And now his "debut"is finally here.

I've watched it three times now and I'm still shaking my head at the magnitude of the change in direction, but also really enjoying the swerve. This could really work for Brodus. For those that haven't heard him talk - he is very good on the mic (His exit from NXT was especially good for a rookie). At least he won't fade into the lower mid card like Mason Ryan with this.

Whether you like it or hate it, he sure has got us all talking. 143 posts on this thread and counting. Can't wait to see where they take this...

Well it certainly took everyone by surprise, not sure why they chose to drastically alter his character or quite what to make of it yet, but it may work out for him however that sort of gimmick has a ceiling attached.

I think it's hilarious! I thought it was the Godfather at first. It's on the same plane as the Jericho debut...months of anticipation, then you jerk the expectations out from under the fans. I don't take him as a serious main eventer, but it could be a hilarious gimmick.

I thought it was surprisingly good. Really all of you people are being hypocrites, Brodus debuted last year as a monster and none of you gave a shit. I believe this is actually the right thing to do and the only sort of thing they could have done.

Currently the only "characters" in the WWE are Hornswoggle (Who should have been fired years ago) and Santino and well...who cares? Brodus himself was boring as hell. Yea he's like the Godfather but good, who else is there interesting to actually watch by there actions other than the moves they do. His talking was funny and different to what we're used to and hes still dominant.

The last thing we needed was another monster. On Raw we just got masked motherfucking Kane back whos fucking destroying people, monster Brodus has no room there and on Smackdown we have Mark and Show. Bringing him back as a monster again would have been a guarrantee'd fail 2 weeks before back to superstars. Like this I can actually see him fueding for the United States Championship

Just watched his debut on WWE.com and it was awful in my opinion. A rip off of Ernest "The Cat" Miller's theme tune, and gimmick really. I was expecting him to be a monster not a joke. As a face he can't really show that aggressive streak he used to have.
The Funkasaurus, really? I reckon in a few years time we'll look back on this being one of the worst gimmicks ever.

I'm going with Nate on this one. That was pretty fucking cool. I honestly thought Ernest Miller was coming out and the way Brodus danced and moved in the ring proves certain big guys can do it and be an entertainer and he stands out,the IWC constantly complains about what happened to characters well here's one. I like Brodus Clay. Brodus Clay debuts the same night his former boss Calvin Brodus gets popped for weed.

Somebody Call My Momma, I'm still dancing.

It's horrible.

Maybe it can work with some of you sports entertainment guys, but I've never EVER liked goofy gimmicks. Wrestling and comedy have never really mixed to me, unless it was an organic part of the character like The Rock or Jericho.

I hated Rikishi, 2 Cool, Godfather and every other dumb lowest common denominator gimmick they've ever had and this is no exception.

I have no problem with it. Instead of presenting Clay the way I thought they would, as a bloodthirsty monster with a bad temper, they chose to bring us the reincarnation of Flash Funk, complete with dancing girls.

Clay doesn't seem angry or sullen; instead, he takes his destruction of opponents in a good natured manner. Yes, many fans are going to hate it, just as they hate everything new that comes along......but I'm interested in seeing where the writers take this. It's a program with built-in flexibility; Clay can turn into a monster at any time.

Meanwhile, he presents as we've seen Clay before: fat, slow and almost supernaturally ugly. Instead of trying to hide the ugliness, they've incorporated it into the character. Still, Clay moves a little more fluidly than I thought he would......and there might be some fun in this yet.

I can understand why 90% of people will hate this gimmick Brodus Clay now has. It's... different, yes, but I think he is much more likely to get over with this than he is if he was just another massive monstrous heel. The WWE already has that well covered with Kane and Mark Henry at the moment, why add another one that:

1) Is not going to be as important as either Kane or Mark Henry right now.
2) Won't be original. The only reason Brodus Clay would of worked as that monstrous heel is because of his size.

I think one thing we're all forgetting is that there is plenty of opportunities for Brodus Clay to become that monstrous character we all thought he was going to be down the line, but why put him in that position straight away when there is no room for character like that right now? Remember Mark Henry was Sexual Chocolate way before he was inducting people into the Hall of Pain. Brodus Clay could be the Funkasaurus, get over as a babyface due to the sheer ridiculousness of his gimmick (I personally laughed out loud when he came out) and than have him turn heel, abandon the Funkasaurus gimmick and become a monster. Rikishi was a massive man but would never of worked as a monster heel. He got over as a babyface by dancing around the ring and being entertaining. We all expect too much too soon.

How many boring monster heels have we had in the last few years? Umaga, Big Daddy V (briefly), Big Zeke (although his face turn was ruined). Big Show sucks when he's a heel and Mark Henry bores the life out of me these days. I think this is a breath of fresh air and a genius move. LOVE this gimmick. This guy is the new Rikishi

Brodus Clay's re-debut was Funky!!!

I loved it. The entrance and match were quite funny. I would rather see a 300-pound guy as something other than a unstoppable monster who has a winning spree .Because in such cases, he ultimately loses to a top guy and loses all his momentum.

I haven't seen it yet, but when I hear things like Planet Funk & girls dancing, I immediately think he soaked up some of Snoop Dogg's Swag. Snoop is a big fan of the Funkadelic Parliament, George Clinton, and older artists of that nature. With Clay formerly being a bodyguard with Snoop(real name Calvin BROADUS), he could've went to him and asked for help with a gimmick that would get a reaction. Either way, I'm interested to see. You guys are making me wanna leave my lady's house to go watch wrestling!

he did disco moves to get out of a waste lock, when he was introduced as the funkasaurus I was like WTF i like the fact he is not a monster but it is the worst gimmick ever given

I for one enjoyed it and though it was refreshing and entertaining. I'm glad he didn't come out as a monster because I'm hoping Skip/Ryback does that when he returns and they don't need two heel monsters debuting. It reminds me of the attitude era with Too Cool and Rikishi and even the Hip Hop Hippo A'Train. He seems to really be enjoying it so we will have to see who his first feud is with. I'd like to see him and mark Henry.

I have no problem with it. Instead of presenting Clay the way I thought they would, as a bloodthirsty monster with a bad temper, they chose to bring us the reincarnation of Flash Funk, complete with dancing girls.

Clay doesn't seem angry or sullen; instead, he takes his destruction of opponents in a good natured manner. Yes, many fans are going to hate it, just as they hate everything new that comes along......but I'm interested in seeing where the writers take this. It's a program with built-in flexibility; Clay can turn into a monster at any time.

Meanwhile, he presents as we've seen Clay before: fat, slow and almost supernaturally ugly. Instead of trying to hide the ugliness, they've incorporated it into the character. Still, Clay moves a little more fluidly than I thought he would......and there might be some fun in this yet.

I agree. The whole Monster Heel thing is overdone these days anyway. We haven't had a light hearted, funny, Big Man since Rikishi (I'm not gonna count "The World's Largest Love Machine, Viscera)

I missed his debut, but I saw it on Youtube. I don't think I've seen old Flash Funk clips, but watching it for the first time, he looks like a mix of The Godfather, Rikishi and The Disco Inferno! :lmao:

I like It. I just hope they don't dick it around. I don't blame him for tonight. The fans were absolutely Horrid. I mean Ugh...

I actually hope they improve on this gimmick and somewhere down the road, throw in some jobbers to form a little New Generation Too Cool. It could work.

This will only work if they make him a threat. At any point, he can rip off the jumpsuit and become a monster...but if they are serious about getting this gimmick over, he needs to crush some legit competition. Maybe a feud with Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler? Vickie could attempt to recruit Brodus after a few weeks of impressive squashes, turns her down cause he's not "FUN-KAAAAY" enough, boom.

He does look like Flash Funk was stung by a bee, though...

I didnt take the time to go through all 17 pages to read about what everyone thought but it had to be Vince doing what Vince loves to do and call an audible at the last minute. The most logical thing that makes sense to me was that maybe he was supposed to come in as Monster months ago and feud with Punk as that monster and be Johnny Ace's hench man...but when Y2k came back it took his place and he doesnt need to be that guy. I wouldnt necessarily want to see another monster anyway, we already have Mark Henry. Although it did make me laugh because for those that are old enough to remember back in the 80's...last night he reminded me of Akeem "The African Dream" lol Youtube that, same kind of body expressions...good stuff. Dont think that this will last long...

See where it goes from here, but at this minute in time it's a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure in six months time he'll be doing comedy backstage segments and appearing on Superstars.

I read about it before I watched it and thought it sounded awful but it actually made me laugh and wasn't too bad. It's ridiculous obviously and it probably won't work long time and if it's over done I'll probably grow to hate it but at the moment I'm okay with seeing where it goes.

Also Brodus looked like he was enjoying it and seemed committed to it. I also liked him talking through out the match. It might help him when it comes to his matches as well if he's able to openly call his spots but have it part of his character. Makes him less likely to hurt someone which is always a danger with a guy his size and strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back