• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**MERGED** Brodus Clay Discussion- KEEP IT ALL IN HERE!

I like it because it is different. It isn't different historically cause we know of the comparative gimmicks, but it is different from what we get in the present with other big guys. Big Show, Mark Henry, and Kane all have differences between them personality wise and also have their own schticks (Big Show is a funny guy and lets that shine at times, Kane has his appearance and actions, Mark Henry has the Hall Of Pain) but they still are "monsters" and as much as I liked how I thought Brodus would be portrayed, I like more the fact that I will be seeing something different. If the different was something that I didn't like, I may have had a different tune but would at least be content with what they were trying to accomplish. Not that anyone else has to be.

The three that I mentioned probably only will be around for a few more years. Maybe at that point, if not before Brodus will be groomed to evolve into the more standard gimmick that we are used to. I know that people say that what the future may bring doesn't change what we see now, but as long as I end up enjoying what I am seeing now, I am fine waiting for the usual typical and safe stuff if that is what we get. With that in mind I personally don't mind if the gimmick lacks long term potential cause it doesn't mean that the man behind it doesn't and won't let it shine at what ends up being a more appropriate time.

There are examples of people that didn't get past their go nowhere gimmick but 1) it didn't mean that couldn't if they had been given an opportunity to do so (it also doesn't mean that they could have) and 2) not everyone is meant to get past their gimmick because some people have a niche that WWE or whatever company wants to keep them with. We have seen Brodus in squash matches before and saw the vignettes promoting his return so while we don't know how over he can one day get with a permanent monster heel gimmick we do know that he is capable of at least attempting to pull it off.

So while I do agree that the current gimmick itself won't likely get him as far as another one could, I don't see that as a bad thing unless he is one of the people that is considered incapable of moving past it, which I don't believe that WWE even thinks. They may not have allegedly known what to do with him but that doesn't mean that they didn't think that he could do something different than what he is, rather that it wouldn't have been different than what others are already doing at this time.

Certainly not the greatest debut ever, but it sure as hell wasn't terrible. What that was, ladies and gentlemen, was something different that was fun as hell for the audience in attendance, and people who don't take television so seriously. I was dying when I was watching. Soooooo damn funny. The dancing, the music, hilarious. He looked like he was enjoying himself out there. I believe it was JGlass that said it is all about getting a reaction. Whether you loved it, hated it, got butthurt at the unexpected, you reacted. You got played fools! Enjoy the fun moments of wrestling, if you take it too seriously then you become a douche. You don't want to be a douche do you?

What I liked about his debut is that for the first time in a really long time we got something we were not expecting at all. Usually when people get repacked everything about there character is on the interenet weeks before there debut but with Brodus Clay I think every wrestling fan was completlly surprised. I think that this gimmick won't last forever it's going to stay around for a while then eventully I think he'll become this monster heel similar to when Albert went from being the Hip Hop Hippo then became A-Train

Two things sprung to mind when I saw him.. The Attitude Era was back for a segment and Bob Sapp's character he portrayed in Japan. I was hoping for this monster force but apart from the girating during the match, I liked his new character. He used to be a bodyguard for rappers so this kind of makes sense.

Also what is it about Vince and male girations? He seems to love that stuff, and anal bleeding I spose... sorry going off topic a little.

Any way, I guess we'll see where this goes. I agree with whoever it was that says it's not a main eventer type gimmick, but it was entertaining and Raw is two hours and I like to be entertained throughout the show, not just in the main event. So Go Funkasaurus... Go!

I didnt actually mind Brodus Clay coming out to a new gimmick, dont get me wrong when i first saw it i thought WTF but i think this can actually work for him. Brodus isnt going to be a main eventer with this but it makes more sense allowing him to stand out from the crowd and have fun with it instead of fading into obscurity in a few months time.

I was reading the Chris Cash article where he was for the most part saying Brodus Clay was DOA with the horrible gimmick he was strapped with this week. He also stated that there is a short list of people who have recovered from such an awful gimmick. Well, it got me to thinking, just how could they save the Brodus Clay character?

Allow me to start by saying plenty of stars have recovered from bad gimmicks. Edge and Christian were "vampires", John Cena was WWE's version of 8 Mile, Mankind was a horrible way to debut Mick Foley, Goldust was a walking talking Oscar, Batista was a bodyguard for Reverand D Von, and most famously The Undertaker was a dead gravedigger. Now I know for a guy who everyone thought was going to come in as a monster who squashed every undercard babyface in route to a showdown with Punk, Taker or Cena, to debut as Flash Funk 2.0 with Ernest "The Cat" Miller's recycled entrance music may be hard to recover from, but there is hope.

One way to obvisouly do it is to have John Laurinaitis add to his heel persona and come out and say he swerved all of us. That we all thought we were going to see the debut of the monster Brodus Clay and he gave us the "Funkasaurus." John could say he calls the shots and the superstars do as he says. This could keep Clay in the spotlight and only help with the Punk/Laurinaitis angle well. Obviously Clay would have to play the face and eventually drop the gimmick, but you could work him with somebody who could play the bodyguard role for Johnny (which I think Claudio Castignoli or Skip Sheffield would fit real well here) and help both guys get exposre.

You could pair him with a decent manager, which I feel he needs anyway as a mouthpiece. The manager could talk him out of the gimmick by saying he is a monster not a fat dancing guy and how the fans are all laughing at him and having fun at his expense. I think if they are going to push Ziggler as a title contender and Vicki is going to have a stable this would be a good spot for him as their enforcer while still keeping him in the "monster" role. Even a Matt Striker or a Abraham Washington wouldn't be bad in the role of his mouthpiece.

Finally, you could have him be the next Rikishi. He is a beast who is comic relief and will never have a main event run until he has worn out on the fans.

I don't see how Brodus Clay's new gimmick is going to lead him to "failure." In fact, I don
t see how on earth you can judge that from his first week with his funky gimmick. This was perhaps the best time Brodus could debut with the gimmick he has now. With Mark Henry, and Kane, there really wasn't any room for Brodus to come back with a monster heel gimmick. His new gimmick feels refreshed and really amusing. Hell, he had the loudest pop of the night and rightly so. He just does the gimmick justice. And don't say that wrestlers can never recover their career after taking a gimmick like Brodus Clay has now. Zack Ryder went from being a Jersey Shore novelty, to being the U.S champion. R-Truth is hugely over with the crowd now and his gimmick is that he is mentally insane. Gimmick or not, anyone can succeed if they can entertain the crowd and stay over with the fans. Brodus Clay is funny, and he is talented in the ring. No way has he became a failure yet.

People are writing this gimmick off way too quickly. You have to remember, the majority of the audience these days are kids who are easily amused and could fall for this gimmick.

Besides, the best thing going for this gimmick right now is Brodus Clay himself. The guy jumped into this character and committed 100% during his match, making it truly fun to watch. Look at Zack Ryder, he was saddled with a gimmick just as bad, if not worse. He committed, really threw himself into it, and got himself over. Clay can easily do the same. Brodus Clay's character doesn't have to be saved

Everybody bashing this gimmick after just one week is just as bad as the WWE. They say Vince isn't giving Clay a chance by saddling him with this role, well the ame people have written him off after just one appearance, denying him a fair shot as well.

Did anyone see the video WWE.COM posted on him after the match? He addresses the concerns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RBpH4Y9VE&feature=g-all-lik&context=G233e67aFAAAAAAAACAA

This guy is playing the role PERFECT. I for one love it and cant wait to see how he rolls with it. Dont write him off just because you didnt agree with the debut. Why would I want to see ANOTHER monster heel on raw? Thats KANE right now. This is fresh for now and can always change down the line.

If you havent watched the Video, check it out

he is a cheap rip off of Ernest Miller when he had a pathetic run in the early 2000s. hOW THE ORIGINAL POSTER CAN SAY mANKIND WAS A RUBBISH GIMMICK for Mick Foley is ludicrous. And Dustin Rhodes was never over in any form until he became Goldust. Edge did not debut as a vampire, he debutted as a solo act in 1998 walking the streets, wasnt until Christian debutted months later and they feuded before he joined Gangrel. Hate when people ost on here rubbish and false information to attempt to strengthen an already sill argument or debate. Fact is, Brodus Clay everybody expected to come back as a monster heel. Since he buthcered his own comeback by getting on Twitter and telling the world he would ba taking Morrison down, he got buried and was given this gimmick as punsihment, this is fact. Kane returned and volie, there is already a m,onster heel on Raw. Brodus Clay mind you may just be good enough to get this rubbish gimmick over. Im hoping so, as he showed plenty of potential after NXT and on the main roster around Wrestlemania 27. WWE made the decision to re-debut Clay as a dancing fool days before Raw, this was not the original plan at all. Lets hope he gives the bird to Vicne and makes it work and gets over. A few Rumble eliminations and a solo dance off before being thrown out is inevitable

Long time reader. First time poster. I honestly think Brodus Clay has unusual charisma and I have an odd feeling he's going to be a big star.

The only debut that I ever saw that I refused to give the guy a chance afterwards was Glacier in WCW. For months and months, WCW gave us promo after promo of this guy on all of there shows. I remember hyping this guys up to my friends that didn't care for wrestling. The night of his debut, every t.v. in my house was turned to Nitro. And then he came out and I was like...WTF?...Is that it? Brodus Clay's character is a far cry from the waste of space known as Glacier. I will go on record and say that Brodus Clay's "Funkasaurus" character is one of the most refreshing things that I've seen in wrestling in a long time. If he can continue to truly embrace the character like he did in his debut, turning him heel will never be an option for the WWE. If he can continue to get over with the crowd, the mechandising opportunites alone with ensure Brodus Clay and the "Funkasaurus" as a mainstay in the WWE for a long time.

...Mankind was a horrible way to debut Mick...

Mankind was awesome. I don't care if he looked like a big brown turd at first, he was given a unique gimmick from the get-go and he OWNED it. If you've read "Have a Nice Day" you'd know that for the most part, the Mankind thing was Mick's idea. Vince suggested the mask, but other than that it was all Mick. He had different entrance and victory music inspired by "Silence of the Lambs!" How is that NOT awesome?

Anyway, back on topic. I don't think Brodus is dead in the water at all. At first I was skeptical, but after watching his funky debut a few times it's really started to grow on me. Will Funkasaurus lead Brodus to a World title? I wouldn't bet money on it, but man... He really seemed to get into the character on Monday, and all his little in-ring comments had me in stitches. People seem to see this as a potential Rikishi 2.0 but I see him as more of a Godfather 2.0, which for the time being is fine with me.

At least Brodus got to skip the whole "Papa Shango" phase and skipped straight to a potential crowd-pleaser. :)

Edit: Just saw this...

"If you don't like it, there's two things you can do: NOTHIN', and LOVE it!" - Brodus "Funkasaurus" Clay

Yep, I'm officially a Funkasaurus fan. Somebody call my MAMMA!

I agree. I mean a lesser guy may have been unable to pull it off but he seemingly sold it like a champ. Everyone bitches about the state of wrestling, then they try something different and people still bitch.

I think he's gonna catch on like wildfire! this enormous funky-ass Baby Huey goodguy...that can totally flatten almost anyone! and he's funky as hell! The smarks are gonna hate.... there's no stopping that.

Yea, He's having fun with this, so why the hell not? I'd grow in the hair, the mohawk looks out of place!

but seriously, when I first watched his entrance i was like WTF? 0_o
but I rewatched a couple more times, and realized how brilliant it was. totally different then anything anyone his size is doing, every giant is a monster and all pretty pissed off. then you got the Funkasaurus, he's happy because he's being more himself then a perceived Monster-Heel, all brutal and cruel and drooling and shit. he'll come out all funky and cool, and totally F**K people up....but happily!:cool:

A big man who can move and is decent on the mic is a rare thing. Right now we would scoff at him being a future champ but who knows where his character goes. He may turn out to be an excellent heel in the future.

Hey everyone, got a question. For those of you who've watch the Debut of Brodus Clay Monday Night Saw his Debut. His Debut Entrance was like Flash Funk and The Funkettes, but not as flashy. But the Theme Song, was basically used for Ernest "The Cat" Miller's time in the WWE round 2003-2004. Not to mention "Somebody Call My Momma" was his catchphrase he used during his time in WCW. The Only thing Brodus didn't do was the James Brown Impersonations. But anyway, what happened to the Monster Heel, he was supposed to be, and that I was reading about? I understand that WWE has the rights to the Theme Song, as well as the character's names; but what was the purpose of not giving Brodus Clay an original Theme Song, or even a more original Entrance? Originality is not basically based off of parts of others gimmick's into one. But what was the WWE's reason for the theme song, and the Flash Funk related Entrance, and not starting him as a monster heel? And what's next for Brodus Clay 6 months to a year later down the road?

I was reading the Chris Cash article where he was for the most part saying Brodus Clay was DOA with the horrible gimmick he was strapped with this week. He also stated that there is a short list of people who have recovered from such an awful gimmick. Well, it got me to thinking, just how could they save the Brodus Clay character?

Allow me to start by saying plenty of stars have recovered from bad gimmicks. Edge and Christian were "vampires", John Cena was WWE's version of 8 Mile, Mankind was a horrible way to debut Mick Foley, Goldust was a walking talking Oscar, Batista was a bodyguard for Reverand D Von, and most famously The Undertaker was a dead gravedigger. Now I know for a guy who everyone thought was going to come in as a monster who squashed every undercard babyface in route to a showdown with Punk, Taker or Cena, to debut as Flash Funk 2.0 with Ernest "The Cat" Miller's recycled entrance music may be hard to recover from, but there is hope.

One way to obvisouly do it is to have John Laurinaitis add to his heel persona and come out and say he swerved all of us. That we all thought we were going to see the debut of the monster Brodus Clay and he gave us the "Funkasaurus." John could say he calls the shots and the superstars do as he says. This could keep Clay in the spotlight and only help with the Punk/Laurinaitis angle well. Obviously Clay would have to play the face and eventually drop the gimmick, but you could work him with somebody who could play the bodyguard role for Johnny (which I think Claudio Castignoli or Skip Sheffield would fit real well here) and help both guys get exposre.

You could pair him with a decent manager, which I feel he needs anyway as a mouthpiece. The manager could talk him out of the gimmick by saying he is a monster not a fat dancing guy and how the fans are all laughing at him and having fun at his expense. I think if they are going to push Ziggler as a title contender and Vicki is going to have a stable this would be a good spot for him as their enforcer while still keeping him in the "monster" role. Even a Matt Striker or a Abraham Washington wouldn't be bad in the role of his mouthpiece.

Finally, you could have him be the next Rikishi. He is a beast who is comic relief and will never have a main event run until he has worn out on the fans.

...what?

The man just had the best non-main eventer re-debut in the history of pro wrestling. He's set up to become a weekly fixture on Raw for months, if not years.

Goldust? Cool gimmick - worked wonders. John Cena 8 mile? Very good gimmick, worked brilliantly. Mankind? GREAT gimmick, the best of the attitude era. Undertaker the dead gravedigger? Arguably the best gimmick in the history of the business. What are all of these listed as bad gimmicks?

I also note that almost everyone who hated it feels the need to act and pretend like EVERYONE hated it.

It was polarizing, but a huge amount of people loved it. I would say more people loved it than hated it.

Goldust? Cool gimmick - worked wonders. John Cena 8 mile? Very good gimmick, worked brilliantly. Mankind? GREAT gimmick, the best of the attitude era. Undertaker the dead gravedigger? Arguably the best gimmick in the history of the business. What are all of these listed as bad gimmicks?

This. These are gimmicks, and some of the best EVER to boot. That's one of the problems with WWE today; too much of the roster is a homogenized landscape of... how did Lawler put it when describing Otunga and McGillicutty? "The bland leading the bland."

I for one welcome the return of crazy gimmicks. R-Truth has evolved into a much more interesting character this year because of a literal crazy gimmick, so they must be doing something right. :)

I liked the re-debut. Definitely something to see over the standard monster heel persona (we already have Big Show, Kane, and Mark Henry for that, thank you). Now, maybe creative didn't have a clue what to do with him (but that's to be expected, for the reason I've given and more), and he was handed the Funkasaurus gimmick as a last-ditch attempt at saving face, but you know what? It's entertaining, even if the preceding vignettes are somwhat disappointed.

It was a fun debut and I guess it is the only way that Brodus could have debuted. Mark Henry is already playing the monster heel role on Smackdown and Kane is doing the same on Raw, so we do not need another one of those. Big Show is playing the big tough babyface on Smackdown and you'll notice that on Raw, there are too many guys playing the tough babyface role with R-Truth also turning babyface. Brodus has a chance to stand out from the crowd in this manner. Due to his size, he can turn monster heel on just about anyone in a matter of minutes but at the moment, he gains nothing from being one.

The only unexplainable thing here is the fact that Lauranitis has been stalling the debut for months now and you would expect Brodus to be angry about that. However the character that he is playing currently does not seem to have the ability to demonstrate anger. It looks as if the creative will drop that part of the storyline. Oh well, not that it matters though.

The problem is that the promos leading up to it, do not fit with what the fans got, same thing with Jericho thing.

To the casual fans it comes across as being scammed, tricked and fooled but to me it comes across as WWE not knowing what to do and just making decisions on the fly.

It is 110% the same way WCW used to be, where they just did things because they were surprising, instead of actually thinking them through. People saying its "brilliant" are being silly, surprising the audience is only good if it makes sense and there is some meat to it. The Miz could take off his clothes, R Truth could come rollerskating to the ring to surprise, but its not quality TV, its just throwing random things at the viewer.

They did it more to humiliate him and get a few laughs backstage than to entertain the fans, its almost like WWE is at a stage where they did everything to get higher ratings and nothing worked, after all those years they now resent the viewer, and try to piss us off just to spite the people who actually watch their show.

Yeah, um no. What a terrible, terrible decision this was as of right now for the WWE. I honestly don't understand the point of doing this with Brodus. Here you have a guy with a completely unique look to the WWE, and they go and do that with him. I get it, fat guys don't look good in HD, Vince isn't a fat wrestler supporter, etc. So the solution, dress him up in a jump suit and make him a merger of Rikishi, Flash Funk and Ernest Miller?

Yes, I get that the "monster heel" is cliche and would have been tired, but this, this is the alternative? How many monster heels are their currently on the roster? One in Kane, maybe Mark Henry if they get him back on track. Now how many goofy characters are on Raw currently? Zach Ryder, check. Santino Marrella, check. R-Truth, Check. The WWE didn't need Brodus in this role. The WWE had a chance to make Brodus into this generations One Man Gang, instead we have Akeem.

you know what, almost everyone hates this debut, complaining that he was going to be a monster and everything, but i haven't actually laughed at anything that was meant to be funny on WWE TV since around 2000 because it just hasn't been funny, but this was hilarious BECAUSE we were all expecting him to come out as a monster. I don't think Sexual Chocolate hurt Mark Henry and the Godfather did pretty well for himself. It's funny to see this guys entrance and actually it's the only thing on Smackdown this week i didn't fast-forward through. So why not give the guy a chance, let him work with it, just coz he was given this character don't sell him short, i mean Zack Ryder's character isn't exactly taken seriously but everyone loves him because he had to fight his way up, lets give the big man a chance

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back