• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Match of the Week

Week Six
WrestleMania Special

WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match, No Holds Bared
The Rock © vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, WrestleMania 17

I put a lot of thought into this week’s match. Obviously, it had to be something to do with WrestleMania - it’s WrestleMania weekend, WrestleMania is being advertised everywhere and I’m doing a WrestleMania special… WrestleMania!! The next question was: will people think I’m an attitude era mark if I put this up? The answer: I don’t give a flying fuck! I mean, even SlyFox appreciates this match, who are you to disagree? So here it is, the first match since the special opener to feature four entire YouTube clips! Astounding in every sense of the word. So watch in awe as the most electrifying man in sports entertainment, who is not a sell-out, takes on the Texas Rattlesnake in a clash of the ages. Love it or loathe it, it’s a consistent participant in “best ever” lists. And for good reason. When you’re watching Undertaker flying over the top rope or watching Randy Orton getting his arse handed to him this weekend, spare a thought for these two men. Unless it’s one of those “you had to be there” things…

[youtube]cPdxHab1oAo[/youtube]

[youtube]1I_0STSGqMc[/youtube]

[youtube]L5ZHQ0ueEbY[/youtube]

[youtube]ooUuVkAPBOQ[/youtube]

And remember to leave a WrestleMania-related comment!

Not a big fan of the heel turn, or the over use of weapons in a WM main event. And I have been chastized to hell and back over it. Its like when I tell people I refuse to watch Sin City and Napoleon Dynamite. Which just drives me further into defiance. I will not veiw either of those movies in their entirety, and I do not like this match as a WM main event. Yea, I SAID IT.

Great match. But the heel turn is shit. Also why would you pay for that Mania main event? You had it two years before.

Heel Austin was shit, but I was pretty shocked by the heel turn - I thought it was well executed. Rock and Austin, well, Rock at least, were bigger stars than they were at WrestleMania 15 and both were massive faces at the time. This was also the third consecutive WrestleMania main event that Rock lost. I think the match is even better in context... and with My Way instead of that shitty Adrenaline Rush song.

I was shocked by it. But the crowd cheered, so it just didn't work.

Also Austin was always a heel anyway.

It was in Texas. Might have been the wrong place for the Austin heel turn. And Austin always had heel characteristics, but he never double teamed a man or worked for the boss... probably.

He was always closer to being a heel than a face though.

Invasion Austin rules over any other version anyway.

Week Seven

WWE Championship
The Rock © vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H, Global Warning

Found this while searching YouTube. Yup. Enjoy:

[youtube]LmMTJeRWAtI[/youtube]

[youtube]S6CWteRehjY&[/youtube]

Leave a comment.

Week Eight

WWE Championship Match
Kurt Angle © vs. Brock Lesnar, WrestleMania XIX

Alright, after last week’s cool down period… OK, I completely forgot about it and put up some random video from my favourites, happy!? Anyway, business is yet again picking up this week. What better to get over those post-WrestleMania blues than WrestleMania? WrestleMania 19 to be exact, and the main event. Anybody with any pretensions of ring psychology leave them at the door. This is the best professional wrestling will ever be as a spectacle and as a sport. And, judging from the response to my Rock/Steve Austin video, you’ll all appreciate that. Wonder as Brock Lesnar apparently attempts to end Kurt Angle’s career - and his own - in some of the shit he pulls, as well as the Olympian himself pulling a Shawn Michaels. That is, dropping the title at WrestleMania and going out due a back injury. One of the best matches I have ever seen, possibly the best WrestleMania main event I’ve ever seen, and one of the reasons that Kurt Angle is and probably always will be my number one.

[youtube]Hu3uPiYJkf4[/youtube]

[youtube]vM_cCwxT0BA[/youtube]

[youtube]ajXbb8Rx4XY[/youtube]

Did you leave your pretensions at the door? Good! Leave a comment.

Great match! I Agree 100% one of the best ME for WM. Again you pick a great match! The Botched shooting star was jaw dropping, I thought he might have killed him self, the crazy part was like 2 weeks after WM, He tried it again! But, again Uncle Sam, Great match!

how brock didn't break his neck on the shooting star i don't know. i remember watching it and thinking he was dead from the way he landed. impressed he finished the match. it was one of the best MEs ever, let alone at WM.

It's weird, the botched SSP wasn't as bad as I thought. I think he landed more on the back of his head and it didn't bend his neck too much, just landed pretty solidly on his head. Hence the presence of a concussion yet no broken neck.

Awwww....... Still is was freaky as hell when you were watching it. Either way, Kurt was at his best in this match, i may not have been a huge Angle fan, but he was great in this match.

Say what you want about Angle but give him his respect on that match he had a broken neck, was in the main event at the biggest wrestling event ever, with a guy who dosnt know his own strength and was in the business for 1 1/2 years. He carried the match to a great one.

Week Nine

WCW United States Championship Match
"Stunning" Steve Austin (c) vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Clash of the Champions 1994

If you've got the recent Steve Austin DVD - wrongly titled the legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin - then you'll have seen this already. I just feel that it's not discussed enough how good a wrestler Austin was outside of brawling and story-telling terms before his Stone Cold days. Here's the prime example of that, a US title match with none other than Ricky Steamboat. It might be forgotten. God knows I didn't know about it. There's not much else to say, really, and so I won't say much else. I just think you might be...stunned. Coming soon: pun of the week.

[youtube]Yfq5ONhiBGw[/youtube]

[youtube]5rxkKM7vShY[/youtube]

Leave a "stunning" comment. Oh ho, you just can't stop me!

yeah, was the front drop of the top turnbuckle did it. totalled the guy's back. good match though. austin with hair looked so much different and such a different style of wrestling. an interesting match sam

Week Ten

Raven vs. Chris Jericho, Halloween Havoc 1998

Yup, WCW again this week. Could be because that's what I mostly search YouTube for this days, having missed much of the phenomenon as a WWF fan the first time round. I think this match is the type of match that sounds great on paper - well, at least now it does - but only comes out above average in the ring. I have to confess, I only got to about the seven and a half minute mark and so I'll actually finish watching it after posting it. Who knows, maybe it really picks up in the last couple of minutes!

[youtube]qDb_uFW4uP8[/youtube]

Leave a comment and I promise I'll try my best to post a better video next week. Honest.

Week Eleven

WWF Intercontinental Championship
The Rock (C) vs. Triple H, Fully Loaded 1998

AND

WWF Intercontinental Championship
The Rock (C) vs. Triple H, Summerslam 1998

A double whammy this week. Hope that doesn't sound gay or something. Anyway, you've got two Triple H (pre-Game) versus The Rock matches. Both pretty damn good. I vaguely remember watching both at the time, particularly the two out of three falls one (and, being less mature back then, thinking "This is going on for way too fucking long") but have refreshed my memory on both via the medium of YouTube. Actually, that's a lie. Actually, that's two lies. I watched the ladder match on my Ladder Match DVD (makes sense) and I haven't re-watched the two out of three falls one yet, but will shortly. Xfear seems sure of its quality, so blame him if it's shit. Anyway, enjoy: two matches which WZ members believe should or could have been better MOTY candidates than Foley/Taker in HIAC in 1998. And one more thing, if you get a grey screen instead of a video, just refresh the page until you get the video.

Match One (Two out of Three Falls)

[youtube]jeclCaYQthw [/youtube]

[youtube]mijCZEN7_us[/youtube]

[youtube]wBeOM7X0Ybw[/youtube]

[youtube]yNUjRapkDKQ[/youtube]

Match Two (Ladder)

[youtube]3ruj9ZRjwSg[/youtube]

[youtube]GD9Aob_OzPg[/youtube]

[youtube]olKTL2RI20A[/youtube]

[youtube]5ESpBhJdGo8[/youtube]

[youtube]WrCaxNrb7CQ[/youtube]

[youtube]xaPvM3c1uVk[/youtube]

Leave a comment if you want to. You don't even have to watch the videos. They're good matches though. Really good ones. Ones that are better if you watch them on the internet. I swear.

2 great matches in my opinon
The Rock (C) vs. Triple H, Summerslam 1998 in a ladder match was better

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back