• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Match of the Week

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
MOTW.png

The Concept

Simple really, and you've probably already worked it out from the title. Each week I post a match. The criteria are completely intangible, and so it'll probably be based on what mood I'm in. I'll also be asking for suggestions from other members (necessary, really, as my wrestling history is fairly mediocre) and you can feel free to offer your own suggestions. Please comment, discuss, whatever. Spam is allowed, seeing as we're in the spam zone.

Week One

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Kurt Angle (C) vs. The Undertaker, No Way Out 2006

With No Way Out having just passed, I thought that this match would be fitting as my first ever. Of course, there are other, better reasons for this to be match of the week - it's also one of my favourite matches ever and between two of my favourite wrestlers ever. Personally, I think it's breathtaking and that its only flaw is it made Angle's WrestleMania match far less impressive in comparison, as well as highlighting how Rey Mysterio had to cheat (watch the match!) to get the win in that particular match. I digress. Why don't you be the judge of whether you agree with me that HBK/McMahon did in fact not deserve the PWI Match of the Year Award? The clips are in chronological order, enjoy:

[youtube]tiiL_oYUzwU[/youtube]

[youtube]41Mj1n8Foz0[/youtube]

[youtube]5DEGeGYJqQA[/youtube]

[youtube]VXXmvFBoMzI[/youtube]

Thoughts?

^^^^^banned^^^^

Excellent match sam, seriously. One of the best matches to ever happen at NWO. The spot were Angle whacks his throat on the tableis legit I think, and looks brutal. Great brawling mixed in with the wrestling, and awesome use of submission maneuvers from UT. You really didnt know who would take this at any time. Great great match 10/10

Personally, I was amazed at how many times Angle could reverse one of Undertaker's moves into an Ankle Lock. I found it very un-WWE like to have something like that in match. I also liked how it didn't make either guy look weak, not that they would have lost momentum by losing either way, considering they were both at the very top of their game. If this had happened at WrestleMania, Taker would have got the win undoubtedly.

Easily my choice for match of the year. That match was amazing. Undertaker and Angle always had great matches, even way back to Fully Loaded 2000. I think Angle is the only person to make the Undertaker ever tap out and that was pre-Vengeance 03. This match was there best and showed signs of the technical wrestler the Undertaker is trying to evolve too. My opinion, the best match the WWE has had the last 3 years, and there isn't a close second.

And as a side note, how the fuck McMahon and HBK won match of the year is beyond me. It's just fucking HBK fan boys that think everything he touches turns to gold, and I respect the hell out of Michaels. It's crap like that that makes me not want to be a fan, because he simply isn't incredible enough to get Match of the Year out of McMahon. That was frustrating as hell. McMahon/HBK sucked and was just one spot after another.

W00625pi.jpg

forgotten just how good that match was.

hbk/mcmahon was nothing on that. all it had was a big build up to a feud. hbk isnt bad in the ring but there's no way anything could compare mcmahon to either of these guys in one of the few matches you didn't really know who'd win.

I remember this match and it is by far one of my all time favorites. It was a great back and forth match and i honestly had no clue who was going win, which doesnt' happen very often these days. Both men hit/locked in there specials numerous times and the match appeared to be over. It was definetely the match of the year, featuring two of the all time greats. The only reason McMahon/HBK won was because McMahon was in the match, and what he says goes.

Week Two

WCW Cruiserweight Championship Match
Dean Malenko (C) vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr., Great American Bash 1996

Something a bit outside of mainstream before WrestleMania week - this week we’re delving into old school WCW. Is there such a thing as new school WCW? That’s beside the point. What isn’t is that this is an incredible match, some may disagree, but they’ll probably also use the phrase “ring psychology” at least once as they do so. Rey Mysterio ("Jr." still present in his name) makes his debut and silences all his doubters, thanks in no small part to an incredible wrestler in Dean Malenko. What do I know? The history of WCW is something outside of my comfort zone, so I’ll be playing it safe and I’ll just let the match do the talking; judge for yourself. The Iceman, the Man of 1,000 Holds vs. The PWI Most Outstanding Wrestler and Best Flying Wrestler of 1996, ladies and gentlemen! As always, clips are in chronological order:

[youtube]IXH9515GK2k[/youtube]

[youtube]_fd3-8UjCvM[/youtube]

Just the two clips - short and sweet this week. Thoughts?

This match was so significant for the landscape of professional wrestling. First off, the names Schiovane and Tenay listed in the WCW Cruiserweight Division such as Malenko, Guerrero, Benoit, Mysterio, Liger, etc. would go on to have such an impact on the last 13 years of wrestling. Second, from my own perspective, it was the arrival of the Cruiserweights coinciding with the creation of the nWo that turned me to WCW on Monday Nights.

While it's easy to look at the end of the match and feel upset that it ended with a rope cheat, the match was a harbinger of future matches and feuds, and really served not only WCW well, but also these smaller wrestlers well who finally had a stage on which to shine.

Rey vs Dean is onw of my favourite matches.Just a great crusierweight match.I have it on DVD and its simply amazing.Some spots are well worth watching and Mike Tenay is actully good commentating on it!

WCW didn't get much better than this. It's what the show was supposed to be about: the best wrestlers in the world going at it. This match was just freaking sweet all around. I had seen a bit of mysterio in ecw so to see him show up here made me freak out. This is wrestling at its finest: two guys fighthing over a belt. No gimmicks, no dumb stories, just two guys putting on a hell of a show.

Ahhh, the reason my Dad and I would watch WCW was because of these moments. I can't remember the match, though im sure I watched it when it was either on, or came out on VHS. Those two sure did put on one heck of a match.

Week Three

WWF Intercontinental Championship Match
Randy Savage (C) vs. Ricky Steamboat, WrestleMania III

As we prepare to have the Intercontinental Champion not defend his title on the grandest stage of them all for yet another year (not that we want to see a Jeff Hardy match), I think it‘s time for a reminder of how it once was. Well, it wasn‘t like this for me, and it probably wasn‘t like that for many of you reading, but it was for the lucky ones. I‘ve got to give credit where credit is due to SlyFox for introducing me to this match, which so happens to be 1987‘s PWI match of the year. I don‘t see how anyone who enjoys any type of wrestling could not enjoy this match. If you don‘t, you must like crap wrestling. Simple as, for me. There’s also another reason I think this will incite discussion despite it being a classic, see if you can guess what it is. Like always, the clips are in chronological order. Enjoy:

[youtube]f2-P7lQ-KiE[/youtube]

[youtube]7SN3hR-R44M[/youtube]

Again, just two clips. I’ll be requiring your thoughts.

Simply put, the greatest match i've ever seen on american soil. These two proved that you don't always need a crazy storyline to have a good match, just a guy out for revenge, and wanting a title. Every bit of this match makes sense and the action never lets up. It goes back and forth the entire time and the ending never fails to get me excited.

Whoa, this got unstickied and dropped like a brick. I thought maybe even SlyFox would comment on this one. I dread to think what will happen when I put up next week's.

i thought this was a good idea and there have been great matches on it so far. although when i hear macho man speak, i cant help think of scrubs.

keep posting, it'l stay high enough on the list to get noticed

outstanding match by the way. definately deserved match of the year award. jessie ventura is annoying in the background though

Randy Savage and Steamboat match was great, it had to be with all the practice the two did for the match and it came off looking great with the crowd into the match. That is what wrestling should be now, telling the story of feud in a epic match instead of trying to kill yourself with high spots. Even though Hogan had the moment of the night, this match was great. Reminds me of the matches with Steamboat and Flair. I suggest for next week a great Tag Team match with the Freebirds and the von erichs or Jerry Lawler vS Randy Savage.

This is why Savage should win the tournament, he could win the tournament based on this match alone, because it shows what Savage was all about. I also feel though that Steamboat needs to get some credit, not a big a name as Savage prehaps but almost as good a wrestler.

This match did it for me a lot more than Malenko vs Rey, maybe its because i've never been a huge fan of crusierweight wrestling. Some of it just appears over the top, and sometimes stupid spots take precedent over delievering a match and 'telling a story'. But then I look at Malenko and I wouldn't even put this in his top 50 matches, he was so much more than a cruiserweight, he was a great wrestler technically and I look at his matches with Benoit and even Jericho and I just think they were so much better than your choice. Maybe I just am blinded by hatered for Rey, but I just cannot see what the majority of people like about him.

Week Four

WWWA Womens Championship Match
Jaguar Yokota vs. Lioness Asuka

I’m worried this week. Why, you might ask. Well, let me tell you why. This week, I’m featuring an entirely female match. I know... women wrestling! Next they’ll be wanting the vote, or to be released from my underground prison. I’ve already admitted on several occasions that I don’t know my Kong from my Candice, and so I requested that Echelon suggest this week’s match, and he obliged. Credit should go to him really, my contribution to this is pretty much just posting the match and typing this mildly amusing comment. I’m pretty oblivious to the history surrounding this match, and thus its impact on wrestling. I can tell you, however, it’s a damn good watch. And if it’s good enough for Echelon, it’s good enough for us:

[youtube]PE0vFA-X5HM[/youtube]

[youtube]oYl07DK5pas[/youtube]

[youtube]Y53eNHivbnY[/youtube]

Three clips this week. Please leave a comment. Please.

Week Five

New Japan Pro Wrestling
Big Van Vader vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Credit goes to my new arch-nemesis, IrishCanadian25, for suggesting this week's match. IC also suggested Cactus Jack's Texas Deathmatch with Vader, but I don't think that stresses the potential entertainment value of big man quite like this match - keep an eye on Bam Bam too! I think this match presents a good argument that Bam Bam is in fact a superior big man to Vader, something which I personally support. This is a sort of an appetizer for next week's WrestleMania special, but it's ten minutes of pretty much pure entertainment that should not be overlooked at any costs. It's also the first match of the week which doesn't involve a title, fact fans. Enjoy.

[youtube]iroh9wHHFrw[/youtube]

Oh, and leave a comment!

Vader was still pretty green when that happened. It's nothing special. But it shows that he had potential even as a rookie.

eh. Ive seen better outta vader. But stilll pretty decent big man match. first match ive ever seen in front of a asian crowd. FACT. I loved how hot they were for it. good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back