• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mason Ryan RAW Debut

I had thought that the way CM Punk handled having to face Cena alone was an indicator for Skip Sheffield to return, but when Mason Ryan appeared, I was like "holy shit, it's Batista". Mason needs a better finisher, but he is a perfect fit for the muscle of the New Nexus.

This new faction Screams Evolution v.2. Simply have Punk lead and instruct the group and let them become a dominant force in the Wwe. Give Punk the Wwe championship, Husky and Mguillicuty (is that how you spell it lol) have the tag titles and give the U.S/Intercontinental (or the combined version if Wwe goes down thar route) to Otunga. Then have Mason Ryan turn on Punk after a lack of title opportunities a few months/years down the line and let him win the Championship, give him a huge run. I mean freaking HUGE!!!!! at least a year. A run through wrestlemania possibly putting down the Undertaker streak and he will be a HUGE face/heel (whichever road he goes down).

Of course this likely wont happen knowing Wwe, they always pick the boring options.

The dude looks like a million dollars. A little stupid with him kicking Punk, then bowing to him. Kinda goofy... but it's the WWE in 2011. Not exactly the Golden Era of Pro Wrestling here.

I see some potential in the guy though. Once he breaks apart from Nexus and Punk, he can be a dominant face or heel... whichever he's needed to be. Right now, it's good for him to be in a group setting and to just beat people up for a while. I watched a match of his in FCW and he's not the second coming of Harley Race. Or the second coming of Lex Luger for that matter. Lots of ring experience needed to be a somewhat decent wrestler. Either that or he needs personality that overwhelms his poor wrestling skills (Cena, Batista, etc).

But not a bad debut. Just would have went with him not kicking Punk is all I would do different.

As soon Ryan was brought into FCW he won the FCW heavyweight title. From what I heard and saw, he as a good wrestler as Cena is, but considering how much he looks like Basita and how strong he is and how much younger he is than when Basita started, the WWE thinks he could be the next Basita. His mic skills are average at best, but Basita wasn't a Cena or Miz when it came to the mic. I see 2012 being the year Ryan being a champion.

Hi, first post.

I thought that the debut of Ryan was good. I understood the whole thing, with him attacking both Cena and Punk. They way Punk stood there made it seem like that was one or the others initiation into the Nexus, along with slamming Cena.
All in all, I enjoyed that last segment on Raw, it was totally unexpected to me, and I was glad to see it. Yet again another Raw ending which pleased me. Looking forward to next week.

I liked the debut. You could sorta smell something/someone was coming after Punk explained "faith" to Nexus. I had no clue it would be Mason Ryan. But it was impressive.

The name Mason Ryan was never said on the broadcast tho, right? After all the google searches & trendings and what-not...doesnt anyone else think VKM's ego will make Vince change the "mason ryan" name by next weeks RAW? Ryan Mason anyone??

It wouldnt suprise me at all. I just hope Seth Rollins is next to get the "call up" by CM Punk.

To be honest i would off loved too see him not join Nexus. So basically he would off just came out and attacked John Cena & Cm Punk it would off made an even better debut leaving people surprised and shocked but eh atleast this guy has a decent look to him. I Can see him being a main eventer soon.

Okay ppl first he ahd to attack PUNK so Cena loses by DQ! Therefore the match was OVER and that is why NEXUS was able to come out! I too want them to change his finisher! A BIGGER POWERMOVE because the EZEKIEL/ORTUNGA slam is not gonna cut it! It doesnt matter if he has mic skills yet! All we need him to do is DESTROY ppl which I think he will do! He just has the look! I honestly dont want SKIP in the NEW NEXUS! Send him with WADE if U must! I want CM to make this NEXUS more in his mold with his hand picked "believers". I think just on looks alone MASON will have a great WWE CAREER!! Hey it got SID VICIOUS 2 TITLE REIGNS!

Man this guy has an AWESOME look. I think he is a great addition to Nexus. Personally I thought Seth Rollins would be the next addition to the stable, but Mason Ryan is even better.

We know how much Vince loves his big men, so I see bright things in the future for Ryan. I don't think he will get a name change, because there is no need to do so. He wasnt mentioned by name on Raw as the announcers are not supposed to know who he is yet, he is meant to be a surprise arrival.

Definitely a good move for Punk's Nexus, as they need an enforcer like Ryan, to back up the mouthy and arrogant Punk. I am looking forward to seeing Ryan in action.

To quote Chris Jericho on his twitter about the debut of Mason Ryan:

I think that is a new name to give him.

Haha Y2J is a funny guy. Looking forward to his new book, his 1st one was brilliant.

Back on topic, I think the name Mason Ryan is fine. It is far better than the likes of "Seth Rollins" "Curt Hawkins" and "Michael McGillicutty". Man, WWE has some really dull ring names these days!

Mason Ryan is a fine name, just as good as "John Cena" and "Randy Orton" although those are their real names.

He's better on the mic than Batista, plus he's got an English accent which helps. Just check out some of his FCW work before you judge him; the man is an absolute beast.

It's actually a Welsh accent that Mason Ryan has. He is from Wales, not England. They are completely different countrys! Maybe you should check him out on FCW first!!!

Anyway, it's always nice to see new faces on Raw. Ryan has the look and the rest will come with experience. It took Batista a while to be the man he became. The New Nexus raised the bar with Zeke Jackson, well this is how Nexus counter attacked. They now have 5 members so what does this mean for the Smackdown Nexus who have only 4? Awesome Kong? Skip Sheffield?

***** from Wales, the illusion will be broken as soon as he speaks.

In a group containing David Otunga if he manages to be the worst worker in Nexus then he really is something special.

I'm not exactly too sure what to think about this. I mean he looks like a beast, and I think he's about to make it fairly well in WWE, considering there's been rumors that they wanted to create Batista number 2 through Mason Ryan. However I'm not too sure how they plan on doing it through The Nexus - Sure Batista got over through Evolution, but The Nexus doesn't offer half the popularity that Evolution did.

Either way, I'm kinda interested in seeing where this all ends up, because I've always liked Batista, and if Mason Ryan can prove to be the new Batista, then I can't see any downside in him. If he's good on the microphone, as well as fair in the ring then I have no complains. The finisher of his (Rock bottom sort of style) looked pretty good though.

Firstly, the move used on JC on Raw is NOT Ryan's finishers - at least it's not the one he's been using while on FCW. On FCW he uses a front slam swing to a sidewalk slam - i.e. the Catatonic used by Chris Harris in TNA if that helps illustrate. I'm not a fan of the move, but it looks more convincing than what we saw on RAW which was half way between the Book of Ezekiel and a Matt Hardy Side-effect - neither of which looks devasting. I must say considering how much like Batista he looked, when Punk stood there crucifix esc I though for a second he would give the Batista thumbs down followed by a powerbomb.

Moving Ryan to the Nexus V.2 might be a good idea, as it gives him plenty of time to develop and have some of his weaknesses covered up by having CMP do the mic work etc. What the reaction is going to be when the crowd here his thick Welsh accent for the first time, I have no idea. If you think Seamus is hard to understand, Ryan is on a whole different level (even worse than Rob Terry on TNA, who is from the same area of Wales).

I was immediately concerned how much he looks like Batista, becos while it's ok to push a guy in the same direction that work before - exact copies don't generally work, just see want happened to Jack Swagger being the Kurt Angle clone. Saying that, Ryan is SO green in the ring and SO bad on the mic (setting aside the problem people will have understanding him), I guess any recognition and way to get over with the crowd is worth a try - he really is that much of blank slate.

He has potential - as long as he is kept well away from a match with JC which would be awful - and allowed to develop slowly, then he has the height, strength and it seems the look to succeed. Those are far more important than charisma and ring skill in determining success in the eyes of VKM. PV

Except for tonight I have never seen this guy before, as people have said he actually does look like batista.

I think this is a good move for him and nexus. Nexus needs an enforcer type makes more sense having this guy rather then Awesome Kong for the obvious reasons.

and It could help him because Except for the Miz and A-ri, and Vickie they're the most succsesful heels. This could help him build up his heat for when Nexus do break up. I think this guy can be seen as the next batista if they play their cards right.

Oh man this shows you how wwe cant even come up with new gimmicks, have to take a green guy and make him look like batista, so freakin sad, this is why wwe sucks
and his mic skills so suck and his wrestling skills are even worse,

It's a bit OTT to say that they have 'made' him look like Batista, he just does look like Batista. Also sticking him with the Nexus is a great idea and just at the right time, I saw the NExus at the beginning of Raw and thought to myself 'where's the dominance? Where's the power?' Now they have that and have it in abundance.

Great debut making it look like a crowd member, I know we all know differnt but they can;t really do anything about that. Perfect to take out the biggest guy in the ompany ion the process and i can;t wait to see what the WWE will do with him in recent months.
Hopefully some pretty impressive squash matches to build his confidence and the character.

Apologies for typos, am working and trying to be quick

I'm not going to lie, I really like the guy already. He has the potential to be a huge superstar already being put in a story line like this, or he has the potential to bomb huge, and just be another disaster. Either way, looking forward to see what he brings to the table.

And he looks like Batista, but they didn't fucking build him to look like him. The guy looks like Dave Batista and that's WWE's fault?

The dude looks like a million dollars. A little stupid with him kicking Punk, then bowing to him. Kinda goofy... but it's the WWE in 2011. Not exactly the Golden Era of Pro Wrestling here.

Although it seemed a bit strange that Punk would allow himself to get kicked in the face like that, it made total sense. Was it needed to fuel the storyline? I don't think so. But I still get it. Punk sacrificed himself the same way that he made the rest of the new Nexus last week.

Now, onto Mason Ryan.

I see many mixed opinions on his debut. But who are we to break it down so much? I'm a fan, first and foremost. When I see a new face debut, I get excited because I know I've got a new face and some new storylines to look forward to. Whether Ryan sucks in the ring, sucks on the mic, or is good at both of those things, I know that I'm excited to turn on Raw next week because I'm going to not only see a major storyline get furthered, but I'm also going to see a new, impressive specimen on the show.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the New Nexus NEEDED Ryan. I'm a firm believer that the original Nexus hasn't looked as strong as it originally did since Skip Sheffield was in the mix. Besides Wade Barrett, Skip was becoming a standout in the group. The reason why was because of his raw power and intimidation factor. When the gang-like beatings occurred on the Raw broadcasts, Sheffield would lay wrestlers out with a running clothesline that looked like a freight train running into a baby carriage. That gave the Nexus an additional intimidation factor that guys like Tarver, Otunga, Slater and Gabriel couldn't provide.

When you have a physically impressive wrestler utilized in its simplest form within a faction by crushing victims, seldom speaking on the microphone, lathering, rinsing and repeating, they're viewed as a MAJOR threat and an intricate part of the new faction. This is exactly what's happened with Skip Sheffield and is now happening to Ezekiel Jackson. We were all expecting him to debut on Smackdown as a major babyface but the WWE threw us a curve ball and made him the muscle of the New Nexus. He brings that "Skip Sheffield factor" to the group. Now we have the same thing on Raw except we were given the treat of a relatively unknown, massive, debuting specimen in Mason Ryan. And now, the new Nexus is finally legit.

I'm looking forward to what's to come of this guy. I just hope he's not overexposed too quickly but if I know the WWE, they'll make him wait in line just like the rest of the debuting talent. Ryan will do his part and probably come on strong at first, but it will only be a matter of time before they slow him down and allow him to cut his teeth in the WWE and earn his way to the top. Until then, let's enjoy Mason Ryan's debut and try and think positively about what his contributions to the new Nexus will be.

D-Man hit the nail on the head. I also believe that Nexus needed somebody like Mason Ryan, because he does indeed, bring the intimidation factor to the group. Beforehand, the New Nexus were just a group of ordinary guys that we've been watching since last June. Mason Ryan, while we don't know how talented he is; if at all, definitely makes me want to tune in again next week, just to see something from him.

His debut was impressive, he makes the group look alot more impressive than it did beforehand, and I'm sure whatever he can bring to the group itself, and Raw for that matter, will be just as impressive.

This is gd a wanna c this powerhouse vs big zeke! For the first time in like 6 months im watching smackdown coz it seems like everyweek the nexus and wolfpack nexus are trying to outdo each other! I see these guys facin off in the rumble match nd i have a feeling coz nexus are taking up 10 places in the rumble(if they keep adding) that could be the reason for 40 superstars this year!

Oh man this shows you how wwe cant even come up with new gimmicks, have to take a green guy and make him look like batista, so freakin sad, this is why wwe sucks
and his mic skills so suck and his wrestling skills are even worse,

Umm... They did not make him look like Batista He just does? I mean seriously even in the face he looks a bit like him it's kind of erie. And when was the last time any company come up with a new gimmick? and if you think his mic skills suck then either A. you have actually seen him in FCW (which the promo I heard from him was actually pretty decent) or more than likely B. You have no idea and your just flaming.

I totally flipped when Mason came out. We have a little Monday Night gathering at my sisters house as my wife thinks wrestling is...well ridiculous. And My brother in law, brother and sister aren't big IWC type of fans. So I have been talking about Mason Ryan for like 3 months now. My Bro in Law is a huge Batista mark and when Ryan came out he jumped up and was like 'Holy Sh*t, Batista is back!" We had literally just been talkin about Mason during the commercial break which made it way better. But enough of my story. I think it was an excellent way to debut him as he immediately is relevant. He is a monster enforcer type in the biggest story in wrestling at the moment. Look what that did for Skip Sheffield. He became a sought after commodity. If the 'E has him come down and start demolishing people like Sheffield did with his clothesline, that in itself will put him over. I think it was a good move, and I can genuinely say I'm ready for Raw next week. I just hope his new name won't be like Mason Faith or something

Are you excited to see Mason Ryan finally debut? I didnt know who he was but i dont follow independants very closely either.

What do you expect him to accomplish? How Soon? Being in the Nexus i doubt he will accomplish anything currently, the nexus angle will prolly run till at least WM so much like Batista didn with His fist WWE Character Brother Bastista I dont expect him to be anything but a enforcer type in the near future

Will Mason Ryan be the next Batista like he's billed to be? I was half watching the Tv half doing something else so when he appeared I thought he WAS Batista at first so i'd say theres a very good chance this is the case.

We knew this was going to happen soon enough. He has been working dark matches lately and its obvious that they feel that he has a bright future ahead of him. I've heard different things about him, so I dont really know what to expect. The one thing I hear a lot though is that he is very green.

Hearing that someone is green and then seeing them placed into the top storyline right away is kind of alarming. But I actually like this. His inexperience will most likely be well hidden. Clearly, Punk is going to do all the talking for them, so we dont need to worry about bad mic skills. Plus, as an enforcer, his match time will probably be limited. He's there to be big and push people around. And maybe most importantly, if they are planning some sort of feud between the two Nexuses (is that right?), it gives them the big guy they need to rival Zeke.

Adding Ryan to the group definitely makes them look stronger and should only bring good things.

When CM Punk was talking about "faith" being on his side, I thought he was talking about Awesome Kong debuting under the name Faith haha. But yea Mason Ryan does look like batista. Only problem i have is that finisher. Seems like a few people are having similar finishers; Ezequil Jackson, Vladimir Kozlov, and now Mason Ryan. You would thing WWE could give him a better power finisher like a powerbomb or he can probably do the f-5. Overall im interested in seeing how Ryan's role will be in nexus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back