• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Mark Madden] RVD = Career Pissant. Nash = nWo

Well...he's right. RVD has completely and utterly phoned in his entire TNA run and then has the nerve to actually boast about improved 'ratings' when the ratings haven't improved one bit.
That said Nash is hardly the guy who should be critisizing considering what he's done in the past, and the fact that I can only remember one decent match he's had in TNA.

RVD is a great talent, but Madden hit the nail on the head, he has never & will never be a big money superstar. Nash was part of the Golden Era in WCW, he was the guy who held the WWF Championship for almost a full year before losing it to Bret Hart. Nash has appeared in movies that have scored at the box office (The Longest Yard etc...). Nash gets a lot of shit but he was a draw back in his heyday.

Van Dam? RVD is a tremendous performer, who maybe should've had a big push earlier in his career, but he didn't get it. He did get that push in 2006 and you know what happened? He fucked up, big time. He was caught with Marijuana and the WWE took both the WWE & ECW Championships off of him. If Van Dam wasn't so high on himself, he could have gone further. He didn't. Surprisingly I agree with Madden.

Your out of your mind. What has he done in this business, by him self and that he didn't book, to make him a true "legend"? Now remember you said a true legend so he is in the same group as Flair, Hogan, Race, Funk, and others. Get the hell out of here. Shall we look at his complete body of work?
Big Daddy Cool Diesel.

1993-1996 - Didn't even wrestle the entire time. February of 1994 to May 16 1996 was his in ring work. When he did he sometimes tagged with Shawn and was the champion in one of the worst years in WWF history. So really maybe 2 years at most he had a significant singles career.
Was both a massive heel and massive face in the WWF. Wrestled with and against a ton of excellent guys like Undertaker, Michaels and Sid Vicious.

1996-2001 - 2 years and a few months he spent tagging with Hall with a few singles matches thrown in. 1998 at Starcade he books himself to go over Goldberg for the title when anyone with a brain has Goldberg winning that match. Than a week or 2 later he drops the belt to Hogan in the finger poke of doom. Then he wins in it again in August of 2000 only to drop it 2 months later at Fall Brawl. Then after that he does a thing where he is the insider with DDP and WCW goes out of business.
You seem to have forgotten, cut amazing promos, broke Big Show's neck, revealed that no talent Rey Mysterio for exactly what he is; a mask. Wolfpac, nWo, not good enough apparently.

Everything after that - He returns with the NWO in WWF between 2002-2004 and gets hurt 2-3 times for long periods of time and is never seen from again until late 2004 in TNA and really is past his prime and can't deliver anymore.
World title shots aside, yeah Nash in WWE wasn't great. He did well as the Kings of Wrestling in TNA, his jackknife is still great, his promo's are still great.

So besides him being one of the center pieces to the NWO what has Kevin Nash done to make himself be in the same league as Flair and Hogan? Honestly it isn't jack shit.
Besides being one of the 3 men to completely revolutionize wrestling and being part of the most successful an popular stables of all time? All those things I listed up top.

Big Daddy Cool Diesel.

Was both a massive heel and massive face in the WWF. Wrestled with and against a ton of excellent guys like Undertaker, Michaels and Sid Vicious.

You seem to have forgotten, cut amazing promos, broke Big Show's neck, revealed that no talent Rey Mysterio for exactly what he is; a mask. Wolfpac, nWo, not good enough apparently.

World title shots aside, yeah Nash in WWE wasn't great. He did well as the Kings of Wrestling in TNA, his jackknife is still great, his promo's are still great.

Besides being one of the 3 men to completely revolutionize wrestling and being part of the most successful an popular stables of all time? All those things I listed up top.

1. So less then 3 years of Diesel and less then 2 years of in ring work as Diesel makes him a true "legend" like Hogan and Flair?

2. Sure he wrestled against those guys, but he was given the top spot in the WWF and couldn't draw. Like I said earlier it was one of the worst years in WWF history when he was champion.

3. I didn't know stealing masks and fucking up your finisher puts you in the Hall of Fame. NWO red and black was a flash in the pan and ended within 6-7 months.

4. Again didn't do much in WWE or TNA, but lets put him in the Hall of fame and on the level of Hogan and Falir because his finisher is cool and he can talk on the mic about not getting respect for the 700th time.

5. I have said besides being in the NWO what has he done to put him in the same sentence as Flair, Hogan, Race, Funk, and other true legends?

I know Nash is a star and a bigger one than RVD. The point is he is no mega super star and besides his NWO days, which for most of it wasn't even a singles career, he has really done nothing to put him in that level.

Mark's right. In all cases regarding Nash, Van Dam and Hardy. Rob should have not dragged Hardy into his "claim". All he did was put Hardy deeper into trouble. Nash is a much more valuable asset to TNA's future than Rob Van Dam if you take executive work into account. Rob's great and has been one of my favorite performers ever, but he doesn't seem to notice that he's the same in TNA as he was in WWE back in 2006. He's under the belief that because he was at the right place at the right time, that he's played a major role to it. Not the case.

However, as for Mark, he is right. However I still wonder why he goes to soo much length to criticize TNA. I mean, his last column featured him saying he was flipping through football games (one week before kickoff?) and giving you a breakdown critique of iMPACT! and REACTiON. One has to really question when he's truly being judgmental or just plain ol' biased.

Despite the fact that for a good while Nash was the lowest drawing WWF Champion in history, he's still a bigger star than RVD. RVD was the biggest star in a glorified indy company and never even won their world title. He held the WWE Title for about three weeks and other than that has never gotten above the upper midcard in the biggest company in the world. In TNA his title reign is pretty much completely forgettable although he's been solid.

Love him or hate him, Nash has been involved in some of the biggest moments in wrestling history. While he's not the best in ring performer or the biggest star, he's still a bigger star than RVD is, no matter what TNA or the IWC would like to believe.

1. So less then 3 years of Diesel and less then 2 years of in ring work as Diesel makes him a true "legend" like Hogan and Flair?
Wrestling as the Nature Boy for 800 year seems to have worked for Flair.

2. Sure he wrestled against those guys, but he was given the top spot in the WWF and couldn't draw. Like I said earlier it was one of the worst years in WWF history when he was champion.
Yet strangely when he joined WCW he drew for 2 straight years. Interesting that.

3. I didn't know stealing masks and fucking up your finisher puts you in the Hall of Fame. NWO red and black was a flash in the pan and ended within 6-7 months.
Wow, faction that lasts 6-7 months = flash in the pan ok dude. Don't turn your back on the WolfPac you might end up in a body bag.

4. Again didn't do much in WWE or TNA, but lets put him in the Hall of fame and on the level of Hogan and Falir because his finisher is cool and he can talk on the mic about not getting respect for the 700th time.
As opposed to Hogan who can start everything with "you know something" and "brother". Or Flair who has been playing the same character forever. What makes either of those guys better than Kevin Nash?

5. I have said besides being in the NWO what has he done to put him in the same sentence as Flair, Hogan, Race, Funk, and other true legends?
What have they done? Besides Hulkamania and the nWo, what did Hogan do? Besides The Nature Boy, what did Flair do?

I know Nash is a star and a bigger one than RVD. The point is he is no mega super star and besides his NWO days, which for most of it wasn't even a singles career, he has really done nothing to put him in that level.

Year long reign as WWF champion, multiple heavyweight title reigns, co-founder of the most important faction in wrestling history, founder of the best splinter faction in wrestling history. Arguably the best giant in the industry and one of the best mic. workers of the past 20 years. Yeah, lets put Kevin Nash in the HOF, he deserves it.

To a large degree, I agree with Mark Madden. I especially do have to agree with him regarding this business with Nash and RVD. I'm not an overly huge fan of Kevin Nash. I think he was average in the ring on his best day, but the man can talk and he has been part of some huge angles in wrestling. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him a "legend", it takes more than winning a few world titles to be a legend in my opinion, but Nash has overall done much more for wrestling and been involved in much more memorable goings on than RVD ever has. The single biggest moment in RVD's career was beating John Cena for the WWE Championship at One Night Stand. It was a big moment for RVD's career, don't get me wrong on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if RVD feels it's much more important and bigger than it actually was.

In terms of in-ring ability, RVD is all over Nash in my view. RVD's matches are matches that I've enjoyed for the most part, but I do think he's pretty overrated in a lot of ways. He has no personality and I guess the RVD pose he does is supposed to count for charisma. Neither Nash or RVD are angels with spotless souls or anything, but for RVD truly is a legend in his own mind in my view. It's just a shame that Jeff Hardy got dragged along for the ride on this because, as far as I know, Jeff Hardy hasn't made any sort of comments like RVD has.

As for Madden's constant criticism of TNA, well if the man didn't add some spice to his columns, would anybody really even bother to read them? Madden comes off as very brash and arrogant in his columns, maybe that's by design or maybe that's who he really is. Either way, him being a pompous dick doesn't countermand the points he makes.

Wrestling as the Nature Boy for 800 year seems to have worked for Flair.

Yet strangely when he joined WCW he drew for 2 straight years. Interesting that.

Wow, faction that lasts 6-7 months = flash in the pan ok dude. Don't turn your back on the WolfPac you might end up in a body bag.

As opposed to Hogan who can start everything with "you know something" and "brother". Or Flair who has been playing the same character forever. What makes either of those guys better than Kevin Nash?

What have they done? Besides Hulkamania and the nWo, what did Hogan do? Besides The Nature Boy, what did Flair do?

Year long reign as WWF champion, multiple heavyweight title reigns, co-founder of the most important faction in wrestling history, founder of the best splinter faction in wrestling history. Arguably the best giant in the industry and one of the best mic. workers of the past 20 years. Yeah, lets put Kevin Nash in the HOF, he deserves it.

I don't even have to do this anymore with you because you pretty much summed it up when you start asking questions about what has Hogan and Flair done to put themselves over Nash. I can't believe you would even say something like that. The bottom line is Kevin Nash is not a legend and never will be a legend. He has not contributed to this business like Hogan and Flair and others. Of course he would get into the HOF, but that doesn't mean you are a legend.

I don't agree with most of the things that Madden writes. However, I love reading his articles. I'm sure he doesn't truly believe a lot of what he writes. But he's stirring people up and keeping them interested in reading. That's what a good writer does. So while a lot of his claims such as TNA being worse than WCW's last days, etc. are clearly false, he knows that. But he says it anyways because it's good writing (though I'm sure there is plenty of truth in the things he writes).

Anyways, as far as this thread goes, clearly RVD will NEVER compare to Nash. Nash has been a maineventer who has succeeded in that time. RVD has never been the whole f'n show. Never. And when he's tried, he's failed. That's a fact. ECW failed and when he was on top of TNA he did nothing interesting. When I say nothing, I mean NOTHING. Never did I look forward to anything he did. Doesn't take a genius to see that Nash is clearly superior.

The controversial post by RDV is almost a month old and there is a WZ thread addressing it. http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=126923

RDV should change his initials to EGO. If he was half as good as he thinks he is, he would have been a lot more successful before arriving at TNA. He is missing some of the main ingredients for a champion, the major one being able to cut a promo. He really doesn't have much of a personality, and the grandma bathing suit doesn't give him much of a champion look. He hasn't really done anything exciting since his arrival to TNA and I enjoy it just as much without him as I did when he was there, maybe even more. Granted he can still perform in the ring, but he can't (or won't) sell worth a rats ass. What made Flair great is that he would make his opponent look great and in turn Ric would look great when he beat them.

What he said in his post was downright ignorant and uncalled for, but not suprising considering he thinks his shit doesn't stink. Dragging Hardy's name into it was like adding Jeff's endorsment, even though I doubt Hardy knew anything about it untill it was too late.

If I were walking through Disney World, I think I would recognize a nearly 7 foot tall Kevin Nash a lot quicker than an average dumpy looking guy like RDV. I would like to gather a random group of 100 people at Disney World and have RDV & Nash standing there and ask the people to identify both of them. I guarantee Nash would win this contest. As far as Nash is concerned, I like the guy. Just the fact that he has been in the business so long, and been successful in the process, gives him more credability than RDV.

Ric-Flair.jpg

this week's Mark Madden hissy fit kinda cracked me up.

I'm not sure where to start, so here goes...

Kevin Nash, for the most part has never impressed me all that much. he is/was a semi-decent in-ring worker, with good mic skills. RVD wasnt the greatest promo guy, but he could fly all over the ring, and has a fanatical fanbase.

But seriously, when the nWo took over the WCW and the wrestling ratings war, it wasnt because of Nash by himself, there were a few people that were more important to the MNW era then Kevin Nash.....like for instance, Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Hogan, Hall, and a fuckload other wrestlers that could actually work. all Nash really contributed to WCW was the Fingerpoke of doom

Now RVD for all his stupid statements on his blog, unless it's all a work I thought they were VERY unprofessional. despite the fact that I used to mark the fuck out watching him go 45 minutes plus with Jerry Lynn, or many of his other memorable matches and feuds. but he will always be 10 times the performer Nash was.

in closing, I think a lot of people are forgetting what we are wrestling fans for...it isnt about how much money some of these guys made, its about the quality of the work in the ring. the classic feuds, and the promos.

the only thing that nash was ever better the RVD at was Promos, it sure as hell wasnt his wrestling skills. oh that and the fact he knew how to work backstage politics and kiss the right asses to get his money

Kevin Nash, for the most part has never impressed me all that much. he is/was a semi-decent in-ring worker, with good mic skills. RVD wasnt the greatest promo guy, but he could fly all over the ring, and has a fanatical fanbase.

I disagree in that I think Nash is a terrible worker. Also think that, although RVD can fly, he's a danger to those he's in the ring with.

But seriously, when the nWo took over the WCW and the wrestling ratings war, it wasnt because of Nash by himself, there were a few people that were more important to the MNW era then Kevin Nash.....like for instance, Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Hogan, Hall, and a fuckload other wrestlers that could actually work. all Nash really contributed to WCW was the Fingerpoke of doom

That's doing a serious dis-credit to Nash. Hall coming in was big but, like him or not, Nash was a WWF main eventer, him coming in to take over WCW was HUGE. Admittedly Hogan was bigger, but Nash was more vital to the Monday Night Wars then Flair was for sure. As for Sting and Goldberg, you could argue they wouldn't have got to the point they were at if it wasn't for the nWo, which Nash started. Also give props for Nash helping DDP get to the main event level.

Now RVD for all his stupid statements on his blog, unless it's all a work I thought they were VERY unprofessional. despite the fact that I used to mark the fuck out watching him go 45 minutes plus with Jerry Lynn, or many of his other memorable matches and feuds. but he will always be 10 times the performer Nash was.

I think most people are better then Nash was/is. Agree though, those matches against Lynn were f'n great!

QUOTE=Maestro48239;2431941]in closing, I think a lot of people are forgetting what we are wrestling fans for...it isnt about how much money some of these guys made, its about the quality of the work in the ring. the classic feuds, and the promos.

the only thing that nash was ever better the RVD at was Promos, it sure as hell wasnt his wrestling skills. oh that and the fact he knew how to work backstage politics and kiss the right asses to get his money[/QUOTE]

I'd disagree with this too. Talent is a bonus but, let's be honest, most people became wrestling fans when guys like Hogan, Andre and Warrior were on top and in-ring talent was bottom of their list. It's the drama and promo's that get people into the arenas and, in that area. Look at some of the biggest feuds of all time. Hogan vs Andre, nWo Vs WCW, Austin Vs McMahon, Hogan Vs Warrior. The storylines behind these matches have drawn the crowds but, in general, the action hasn't matched up to it.

As for RVD, Madden is spot on about him. RVD has always been a mark for himself and his abilities far beyond the level he actually is at. Nash has been just as much, if not more, of an asshole towards talent then RVD but at least he was smart enough to do it on the sly, not right out there in public for the world to see.

I can think of many things Nash has doen better then RVD. For starters Nash has had multiple main event runs in top companies not one run in a company that got cancelled because he was a drug addict. Nash was a large part of nWo and all that came with it. He made the nWo cool. Which in turn made wrestling cool. Nash sold out areans. RVD sold out bingo halls. Now granted I was at the bingo hall but as Madden points out in his latest column what matters in wrestling is making money for the company, and RVD has never drawn a wooden nickle.

Nash only drew because of the people around him, namely hall, hogan, the cliq. On his own he wouldnt of drawn anywhere near what he did. Diesel sucked balls. It was only as the outsiders and then the NWO that he started to draw big. And as nexus has shown, that kinda gimmick can turn nobodies into something overnight.

But yeh of course Nash has drawn way more than RVD so you cant argue that point/fact. I still prefer RVD tho.

Nash only drew because of the people around him, namely hall, hogan, the cliq. On his own he wouldnt of drawn anywhere near what he did. Diesel sucked balls. It was only as the outsiders and then the NWO that he started to draw big. And as nexus has shown, that kinda gimmick can turn nobodies into something overnight.

But yeh of course Nash has drawn way more than RVD so you cant argue that point/fact. I still prefer RVD tho.

This is absolutely true but I can guarntee you even without the kliq and even without the nwo Nash would have drawn more money the RVD has. Because Nash has something RVD has not shown since he was a heel in the original ECW. Personality. Nash= coolness, RVD= lazy pothead. Hogan may have been key to establishing the nWo but Nash made the nWo cool. 4 life, just too sweet and many other things helped make the nWo cool and Nash came up with all of those.

I agree with most of he says about TNA, I record it every week but don't have the patience to watch it all. Madden knows it's all about making money and 90% of the roster couldn't draw a dime with an art degree. Watching Hogan stumble around with Kevin Nash was embarrassing, the shoot pep talk Dixie gave the roster a few months back was embarrassing, Eric Bischoff calling out the PRODUCER to change the 'FORMAT' in January was embarrassing, Jeff Hardy is embarrassing. Even when they got Hogan you could see that the company wouldnt last, it's 5 years max and it's done. I'd also agree with him that WWE isn't that great either but it's better than TNA.

Dude, who in their right mind who buy a PPV to watch Simon Diamond and FBI?

If you didn't know by now that Bischoff and Russo combined can't lace Vinnie Mac's shoes then keep watching TNA and it will be confirmed to you.

Kevin Nash would always draw more money than RVD. Why?, because he can talk. Wrestling isn't about Wrestling, it's about characters.

How anybody can disagree with Madden on this point is rather confusing. Rob Van Dam may be popular and requested as somewhat of a draw. However, he doesn't have anywhere near the same credentials of being involved in anything major compared to Nash. Certainly Rob have been involved in some mediocre money projects like One Night Stand 2005 and 2006, however those were hardly to compare with anything of what Nash have done.

I believe Nash had some harsh twitter comments a while ago, where he mentioned selling out arenas during his Diesel time, as well as a part of the nWo, which are generally much much more than Rob Van Dam could ever hope to accomplish.

Yep, Madden is completely right, once again.

I'm sorry but people like Madden and Nash need to realize something. The reason guys like Hardy and RVD aren't drawing is not because they're not draws in wrestling or they can't ship merchandise (Hardy at least, RVD's status is a little more debatable) it's because nobody really cares about TNA.

I'm an RVD and a Hardy fan but I've been let down by TNA so frequently that I don't feel the need to watch their show. I'll just get annoyed when I see (what is in my opinion) a badly booked, badly put together, insulting product. I honestly believe John Cena could leave and jump to TNA and while it'd grab headlines and boost ratings if the rest of the show is still crap and Cena is booked in a crap angle then I won't watch just to see Cena.

Was RVD a draw? I don't know, he was never really given a go at the top enough for any of us to properly gauge it. He got reactions, big ones, which mean people did pay money to see the guy wrestle. Jeff is a no-brainer, you cannot dispute he was a massive draw for the WWE, he sold out a lot of arenas. In my opinion there is a big connection Smackdown's ratings drop and Hardy's exit.

Nash himself hasn't exactly done much for TNA.....ever. Did he make a difference in '04? No, no he did not. If he was such a draw in his prime then surely that star power would have translated into something back then and it didn't. No worker can or should be relied upon solely for ratings in TNA, they won't see any change in them until they improve their overall product.

While talent in the wrestling business means different things to different people, no matter what crowds Nash claims to have single handedly drawn (despite the fact that in the WWF he had guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels supporting him and similarly talented individuals in WCW who I would argue were far bigger draws) he very, very, very rarely put on an incredible match. The only one that springs to mind for me is the match with HBK, a man who in his forties had (imo) the greatest match of all time with a run down, injured man in his mid-forties. 'Nuff said. Hardy and RVD on the other hand have had numerous amazing matches with various different opponents and with each other. I defy anyone to find me a match in which Nash put on a better performance than Hardy did against Triple HHH at No Mercy. Both RVD and Hardy, while nowhere near as entertaining as Nash, have done far more in the ring than he ever did.

Claiming Kevin Nash deserves his own wing in the HOF is perhaps the biggest exaggeration I've heard on this site, I pray to God you weren't serious. In the HOF? Definitely. His "own wing"? Not a chance.

Were RVD's claims out of line? Yeah, quite a bit. I happen to see where he's coming from though. These two are guys who have proven they can perform at the highest level and garner massive responses from crowds, either could go back to the E in the morning and get a massive ovation (more so in Hardy's case). I don't blame either of them for not wanting to put over guys like Christopher Daniels or other TNA homegrown who have NOT proven they can hang in the big leagues and stick out in the imagination of millions of fans.

I won't address Madden as he just likes to think he's in with the cool kids with blogs like that.

Mark Madden seems to have a strong disgust for all wrestling but can't stop talking about it. It sounds like he wants TNA to succeed but laughs at everything they do. I agree for the most part, but sometimes he is a little too biased. In regards to Nash and RVD, I have to side with Nash and Madden's comments. RVD has been acting like a "rock star" ever since he arrived to TNA. He is actually acted full of himself before too. I always defended RVD when he was in WWE and when he left. Considering that he has done very little since he came to TNA, I can't defend him anymore.

Like him or not, Nash is a veteran that has been involved in the biggest events in wrestling history. He is a true veteran that has been in TNA for the past 5 years. He has put over the young guys hugely ever since he arrived in TNA. He worked wonders for Alex Shelly, Austin Aries, Jay Lethal, and Sojay Dutt just to name a few. RVD really needs to stop believing his hype because he will never be as revered as Kevin Nash.

I've said it and I'll say it again...RVD SUCKS. He's boring, he has no personality, and he has a mediocre arsenal of moves altogether. I think the only reason he gets by is because he's a stoner and people think it's cool to like the stoner guy with ying yang symbols all over his one-piece bathing suit. He somersaults and cartwheels around the ring and I just don't understand how that's entertaining enough (if at all) to make up for his horrible personality.

I don't think I'll ever understand it. Same thing with Jeff Hardy. While his moves are far superior to Van Dam's...his personality (and image as a whole) drastically lacks what is needed.

Despite the fact that for a good while Nash was the lowest drawing WWF Champion in history, he's still a bigger star than RVD.

In all fairness, this was pretty much during WWF's transition phase where they literally let go of all the 80's and early 90's superstars and passed the torch to the newer generation of guys like Bret Hart, Undertaker, Kevin Nash, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, etc.

I mean big pay-per-views in 1994 had matches that included (but weren't limited to) Tatanka vs. Lex Luger, Jeff Jarrett vs. Mabel, Tatanka vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, Razor Ramon vs. I.R.S., etc.

There really wasn't much going on there. The old guard had just left...and people were still getting used to the new guard.

I agree that Nash has had a more "Big money mates", and has made an impact on the Wrestling world that will never be forgotten.

But taking the two of them in there prime, I would rather watch RVD wrestle over Nash any day

I agree that Nash has had a more "Big money mates", and has made an impact on the Wrestling world that will never be forgotten.

But taking the two of them in there prime, I would rather watch RVD wrestle over Nash any day

::HEAD EXPLODES::

What?!? Why?!?

Rob Van Dam wasn't even that great of a wrestler...was he a better "wrestler" than Nash? Perhaps. Was he a better "performer" than Nash? Absolutely not and never in a million years.

Rod vs. Jerry Lynn

Rod vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Stretcher match vs. Sabu

Invasion match vs. Jeff Hardy

If you can think of a Nash match that is more exiting to watch than any of these, please let me know I would love to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back