Mark Henry planning to retire

WJDwjdWJDwjd

Getting Noticed By Management
In a new interview posted on Yahoo.com, WWE star Mark Henry noted that he plans to retire from in-ring wrestling within the next 18 months. The following is an excerpt from the interview:

"A relative veteran at 39, Henry says he will bow out within the next 18 months to leave at the top of his game despite having "a good three years left in me".

He's fought wrestling icons such as The Undertaker, teamed up with The Rock, and will next turn his combative attentions towards helping America's less fortunate children when he retires."

Just posted on the main page.

How will he be remembered? Are you happy or sad to hear about this? Do you think he'll actually retire?

[YOUTUBE]gCpdBoqLJ68[/YOUTUBE]

One storyline has always stayed with Mark, he was never able to get rid of it no matter how much he beefed up, let his hair grow, changed trunks or turned from heel to face. The Mae Young storyline is sadly what he'll be remembered for.

Personally though he'll be remembered for his days in the Nation of Domination.

Just posted on the main page.

How will he be remembered? Are you happy or sad to hear about this? Do you think he'll actually retire?

The biggest part that stands out to me is where the article states that he wants to leave at the top of his game. This is the top of Mark Henry's game? Really? Really? If that's true, he might just be the most overpaid wrestler in WWE history. He has been useless other than being used as enhancement talent to put over up and coming wrestlers. I, for one, won't miss the kool-aid man and I hope he makes a much bigger impact helping out unfortunate children than he did as a professional wrestler because his career has been horrible. I know it sounds harsh but it's true.

He has been useless other than being used as enhancement talent to put over up and coming wrestlers. I, for one, won't miss the kool-aid man and I hope he makes a much bigger impact helping out unfortunate children than he did as a professional wrestler because his career has been horrible. I know it sounds harsh but it's true.

Actually, YES it is harsh to say that. The guy has had a pretty solid and long career in a very competitive and tough industry and managed to stick it out with the WWE the entire way. That alone has to say something. It's not like he took up too much time and space as a main eventer. He hasn't had Heavyweight title reigns in which someone can complain about an undeserved push. The biggest push I can remember was against UnderTaker. Was that so undeserved that he shouldn't be mentioned in the same company as even A-Train among the other list of UnderTaker's WrestleMania victims back when the streak wasn't as big an angle?
He had to have been doing something right behind the scenes not to have been buried into oblivion between 1999 and now.
Which begs another question...

When we mention the last of the Attitude Era, why don't we mention Mark Henry? I, myself, and guilty of overlooking him when I mentioned this group, who included a short prestigious group of names such as Triple H, UnderTaker, Edge, Kane, Big Show, Christian... Mark Henry... is that all of them?

Shouldn't he be mentioned with them even though he isn't a main eventer?

Why does a big portion of the IWC hate him?

For the sake of respect, I, for one, will remember him when he's gone.

Thanks, Mizark. :shrug:

edit: In honor of all you haters, I think my next sig will be a Mark Henry one.

He'll be remember for either the hand birth, for his team with D'lo Brown during attitude, or for Sexual Chocolate. Another thing, that personally changed my outlook on him, was the poem he wrote dedicated to Owen Hart after the tragic accident, to see him break character and shed tears added a side of humanity to him.

I'm sad to see him go, because he fills a tremendously vital role, that he has down perfect. Looking like a legitimate contender as a lifetime jobber. Hes feuded with some top talents, but never really broke past ECW Champion material (although I think he made Matt Hardy look good).
I don't know who can fill his role right

I could see him retiring, but being an off-screen personality. Hes definately put in enough for the business now that he'll be missed, if not by the casual fans, but by anyone who knows why a strong midcard jobber is a jewel, he won't be replaced.

Ah, yes, the Mae Young giving birth to a hand storyline. What the hel did Vince smoke when he came up with that? Whatever it was, he didn't touch it again until he came up with Katie Vick.

It's a little mindboggling to think about how long he has been with the company. And rarely ever as more than a jobber to the stars. But he has always had a unique look, and they always can use those. They got guys aplenty that look like greek statues. Freaks of nature like him are more rare. That's the only explanation I can give for how he lasted that long.

What will he be remembered for? Dunno. Better question: will*he be remembered?

Only about 5 years too late :lmao:

Seriously though, he's seems a nice guy but nothing he does in the ring interests me whatsoever. There are far more talented guys that can take his space on the roster.

I will miss him tremendously. He is a great talent. But it is so far away way say it now. I hope he is a 1st rd inductee in the HOF. Sure hope he does some promos with kia stevens before he goes. Somebody bout to get thier ass kicked.

Why the hell would he quit at this point? He has to make the easiest money in the world. In all honesty I could potentially see Henry being a member of the Hall of Fame for his dedication to the company. Certainly not first or even second ballot but maybe he can be thrown in there if they cant think of anyone else. Drew Carrey and Coco Beware are in the WWE HoF for god sakes!

This may sound odd, but I think I'll always remember Henry as a guy who seems to be very sensitive about things. After reading some of his interviews, he strikes me as someone who is very insecure. One that stuck out was when he kept repeating the fact that he didn't want people to think that he was big and dumb. He said something to the effect he should have been a lawyer so people knew that he was smart. He was being totally serious. I might not be doing it justice, but it came across in the interview as some really insecure, whining, shit. Another thing that I always remember him for was getting to be the ECW champion because he implied that he would file discrimination charges against the WWE for the Michael Hayes incident that led to Hayes being moved to a lower position. I understand that something like that could be taken as very serious, but my opinion changed once Booker T spoke out about it. Booker wasn't with the WWE at the time and said that Henry blew it way out of proportion, and that Hayes wasn't a racist at all. Along with all that, Henry has made a lot of comments about getting mad when people "start joking with me because they think I'm some jolly fat man". At the end of the day I think Henry hates the fact that he has to play the "jolly fat man" on TV because he totally failed at being a monster heel.

As far as in ring work goes, he was pretty damn bad. However, I thought his sexual chocolate gimmick in the 90's was pretty funny at times. He is a guy who was brought in after being an Olympic power lifter and signed a 10 year, million dollar a year contract. For that kind of money, he was a total failure.

He had the size, strength, and look at be a force in the WWE, and it never really happened. In all honesty, I don't think anyone will notice when he retires.

In response to merce07, he's probably not quitting because of the money, but because he has been doing it so long, I wouldn't be suprised if he hurts every day he wakes up. He's a big boy, and quite honestly at 39 with such a long history in the business he probably feels like he can't do it much longer with the same dedication. In 18 months he'll be 40-41 (not sure when his birthday is).

Honestly I will remember him for the worlds strongest man. I always liked Henry, and though he may not be the best actual wrestler, always wanted to see him as champ. He could be very intimidating. I think the WWE would be remiss to not give him one run as maybe the World Heavyweight Champion before he's gone, at least as a "thank you". You can't tell me you wouldn't buy it that he was the Smackdown Champion. Even for 2 months or something. He deserves it.

The only part i had beef with, as someone else mentioned before, is him leaving on top of his game. That sentence is an absolute joke! I don't know if the reporter wrote that as his comment, since if you know anything about him you would know he is not anywhere near "on top of his game" nowadays.

He was actualy good on the mic back in late 90's. His gimmick was fun to watch. He was the warm-hearted, sensitive big guy. He was OK. When i remember him, i won't remember 2011 thats for sure...

I'm pretty happy for Mark that he's decided to retire, not because I didlike him, but because I have a great respect for the man and what he's done in the world of olympic lifting/powerlifting/strength sports. He has been totally misused throughout his WWE run and should have been built up as a legitimate big guy and a threat

Im a powerlifter and personally, I found it disrespectful to my sport that they have someone with multiple world records in the sport, lose an arm wrestle to a John Cena, who was recovering from a pec tear.

IMO, Henry could have been more than enhancement talent and it was nice to see him as ECW champ, albeit briefly. I hope his final run is a good one and he can return to what made him famous in the 1st place, strength sports.

The problem with Mark Henry is that each time he was pushed, he never went anywhere. For the "World's Strongest Man", they really never did anything with it. He'll be known as a solid mid-carder, but you always knew he wasn't going to be booked to win anything much--ECW reign aside.

I think Henry plays an important role in the company. He's pure enhancement talent and every wrestling company needs that. Plus he's done it for a long time and has been made to do some daft shit.

Yea he probably won't be missed he might make it in to the hall of fame purely for how long he was with the company. What he'll be remembered for? Sadly for him it will always be the Mae Young storyline. I personally won't be too sad to see him go. While he did the enhancement thing well theres plenty of more talented guys who could do the exact same thing.

ill remember him for his bill as The World Strongest Man..Whenever i see a really strong wrestler now-a-days, i compare them to either kane or mark henry. Ive always liked Mark and thought that he could have been used for soo much more

Mark Henry has no value to the roster IMO. His in-ring ability has never been above average and even working with the Undertaker couldn't help him put on a great match. Did he have charisma? Yeah he was funny when he was in love with Mae Young, but as a heel he was horrendous and completely undeserving of the ECW title reign he had with Tony Atlas.

What will I remember Mark Henry for? Being the idiot who couldn't get the cage door open in that match with Batista (and I don't remember who else). For anyone who's ever seen Botchamania this is a famous blunder that Maffew plays often and it always makes me laugh to see him fumble with the lock like a fool

The only part i had beef with, as someone else mentioned before, is him leaving on top of his game. That sentence is an absolute joke! I don't know if the reporter wrote that as his comment, since if you know anything about him you would know he is not anywhere near "on top of his game" nowadays.

He was actualy good on the mic back in late 90's. His gimmick was fun to watch. He was the warm-hearted, sensitive big guy. He was OK. When i remember him, i won't remember 2011 thats for sure...

I don't see a problem with a guy his age claiming to be at the top of his game... It's relative, and since it's coming from the wrestler's themselves, it's probably more true than we know seeing as though they're opinion is closer in relation to the topic than ours.
Mark Henry isn't the first older wrestler to say he's at the top of his game when his prime was years ago. The way are looking at it can be seen in any number of ways they are viewing a combination of factors that make a performers career... from being athletic (physical), to technique (knowledge/experience/execution), to entertainment value (charisma).
Obviously he's not in as good a shape as he was when he first signed (who ever is after 12 years?). It's hard to tell about technique since his matches are short nowadays, but he seems to me to be as sharp as ever, relative to what he does and what his style is, and I think his charisma is as high as it ever was, in proportion with what they give him to work with. The man is getting pretty decent pops.
Give him his PROPS!! If he says he's at the top of his game, maybe he knows something we don't get to see every week.

Mark Henry didn't have a 'good' pro wrestling career. When you look back at his career, he didn't really get anything accomplished. He was given the European Championship, which means he practically never 'won' it legitimately. He was in embarrassing angles with Mae Young and he never had anything in his repertoire to distance himself from the rest of the roster. He was just a strong man. But, if there's anything that I will remember him for it's him winning the 2002 Arnold Strongman Classic competition. See, the sad thing is, I'll remember him for something he did outside of pro wrestling. Okay, to make it fair, I'll remember him for his brief ECW Championship reign, because he was the guy that was offered the platinum belt and was accompanied by Tony Atlas. In addition to that, if there was anything he deserved, it was probably a Royal Rumble. Think about it. The World's Strongest Man being able to eliminate everyone in order to win the Royal Rumble makes sense. I'm not saying he should win the World Heavyweight Championship as a result, but winning the Royal Rumble would be a fine accomplishment for him. Obviously I don't see it happening though.

to the guy who said Henry could easily be replaced, highly doubt....he will leave a pretty big void when looking at the roster...i doubt many guys could have a 15 year career and stay somewhat relevant....how many of those guys will be billed Worlds Strongest Man? how many of those guys will face Undertaker at Mania? hes had good enough mic skills and has been a part of alot of memorable moments....a win over Mark Henry still counts for something regardless if he is used for enhancement nowadays...

Mark henry does seem like a great guy. He is not one of my favorite wrestlers but I will remember him. I will remember him for being "the strongest man in the world" (according to the WWE), his rivalry with The Undertaker, and for his ECW title reign. Will he retire? I'm sure he will if he said he will. He has alot of things he can do outside of wrestling and if he wants to leave then that is great for him. Will I miss him? No, I will not miss him, but I do respect him.

What people are missing is that he is pretty much the 3rd guy on the roster behind Taker and Trips for longevity now... he has been under WWE contract since 1996 - 15 years.. that is a hell of a long time with people dying and leaving since... Sure he was locked in for 10 years, but for the remaining 5 Vince chose to keep him around, he had something, god only knows what, but something Vinny likes...

Henry got the ECW title which was about his level, an upper mid card champion and ran with it as much as he could... at times he has been on the cusp of being uber over, but it just didn't fit with what WWE wanted or needed at the time.

Henry is a Hall Of Famer for sure if Duggan is... In many ways he's been more entertaining for longer...

Well, his longevity in the company and his ridiculous storyline with Mae Young keep coming up. I think that he'll be remembered for a combination of those things: his ability to stay relevant despite having been subjected to one of the most horrible storylines in WWE history (some might dispute that he's relevant right now, but he shows up on pretty much every RAW, and that's enough for me).

I don't have any real problems with the guy. I think he does what he needs to in the ring--gets circles run around him until he catches someone and slams them down--and he seems like a decent enough dude. Even though he never won any huge titles, he's been cashing checks for the past fifteen years, and if that's enough for him, all power to him for getting out before he gets hurt.

He's a good person outside of wrestling. I have always though his matches to be boring but I like him as a wrestler overall. He has been truly dedicated to the WWE and is always able to do whatever he is asked. He is a victim of the Undertaker and I think this makes him always memorable. I always liked him as a heel because he was generally more interesting. His theme song says "somebody gonna get their ass kicked" which was more appropriate when he was younger. Don't get me wrong he is still capable of it he just does it by slamming people fast.

I think he will be greatly missed, but I wish him best in retirement.

Mark Henry will be missed simply for being the Worlds Strongest Man. I mean you dont get an athlete like Henry very often. He was ranked by flex as the number 2 strongest man of all time and would have been number 1 had he stayed in the StrongMan game and not went to Pro Wrestling after winning the First Arnold strongman competition. WWE maybe be able to find better wrestler than Henry sure Henry isn't what you would call a great worker. He wasn't working any 5 star matches or MOTY canidates but he brought a monster look a real physical power that NOBODY in Pro Wrestling these days can come close to watching. Hell he Powerbombed Terry Funk back in the attitude era in the ring and broke his ribs thats alot of power. Him retiring may be to go back to strongman which I would love to see. He has had some serious injuries in the WWE so maybe befor his body is to broken he wants to gain that Worlds strongest man title one or two more times to solidify himself as the strongest man in history. Good luck to Mark Henry in whatever he chooses to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back