• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Linda McMahon affecting storylines?

#SAWFT

Pre-Show Stalwart
Big Johnny should be fired tonight. We all want that. Then the 'Big summer angle' could be about his return and complete chaos.

However, due to recent reports, WWE may not be firing Big Johnny in Kayfabe, because Linda McMahon's Senate Campaign. A storyline that could affect WWE ratings, that we all want to see, could be being stopped due to a Senate run?

What do you think? Smart or stupid move by WWE?

Big Johnny should be fired tonight. We all want that. Then the 'Big summer angle' could be about his return and complete chaos.

However, due to recent reports, WWE may not be firing Big Johnny in Kayfabe, because Linda McMahon's Senate Campaign. A storyline that could affect WWE ratings, that we all want to see, could be being stopped due to a Senate run?

What do you think? Smart or stupid move by WWE?

I think this is a great reason why WWE fans should not vote for Linda since if she get elected our product will suffer and be effected by politics.

How does a scripted firing hurt Linda's bid for a senate seat? I would understand if were talking attitude era theatrics, but this is nothing like that.

I'd rather they focus on doing something for entertainment's sake first, but since the entire general public doesn't seem to understand what a storyline is, anything like firing JL would be harped on by Linda's competition. It's so stupid, it would've been like calling Arnold out during his governor run for trying to kill people. It's the EXACT same thing, but wrestling has such a bad rep and it plays out live in front of our faces, people take it as real.

I remember when news organizations actually reported that Vince was killed in a car explosion year ago. That's what Linda/WWE have to deal with.

Is it smart? Yeah, for Linda it is. She's spend a crapload of money on her campaign, so they need to be careful about what other exposures and associations she has.

Selfish? Sure. But then, you and I are selfish for wanting things handled the other way, so you can't lay blame there.

Just like with PG, Linda's campaign is just another excuse that can be made for poor creative decisions and lack of effort. They CAN still give us a "big summer angle" and circumnavigate any landmines in regards to Linda's campaign just like they CAN be entertaining without saying bitch and ass and splattering blood all over the place.

Linda's campaign isn't what's dragging down WWE, it may be one tiny small factor. They need massive changes to creative and the way they approach the storytelling and character development of their product.

It's stupid. Hasn't this been going on for years now? Isn't her campaign the main reason WWE went PG a few years ago? I'd rather Vince divorce the bitch so we could get great TV & storylines from WWE again..

How does a scripted firing hurt Linda's bid for a senate seat? I would understand if were talking attitude era theatrics, but this is nothing like that.

Well if we are to believe the latest report on wrestlezone, he is now only an on air talent, so if he gets fired tonight, well he doesn't have another story, so he may remain there unfortunately.

This has been going on for years. Cena is partly to blame because he pushed for the WWE to be family friendly. Say what you want about Cena, but you can't deny that kids are a huge reason why wrestling continues to stick around. I'm sure most of the people reading this became wrestling fans when they were kids. Do you really think teenagers and grown men buy up action figures, video games, tee shirts and toys? They may buy some but the money is made when parents get this stuff for the kids.

The biggest hindrance that Linda McMahon's political aspirations created is the "Be a Star" campaign. I agree that bullying is wrong and I appreciate WWE coming out against it... However every single WWE Superstar, heel or face, has done something in the course of their career that could be considered bullying. couldn't Stone Cold and the Rock be considered bullies? Didn't we just see John Cena bully Cole last week on Raw?

I think this is a great reason why WWE fans should not vote for Linda since if she get elected our product will suffer and be effected by politics.

This statement is overflowing with stupidity and ignorance.

Do you know the history of The Senate and The WWE? For years The Senate has been trying to pass legislation to ban The WWE and close it's doors, that crusade was headed up by Joseph Lieberman and Christopher Dodd... The Senators from the state of CT.

Linda McMahon is running for the sole purpose of being able to represent and defend her company in a role where her opinion actually carries the weight of a vote. Yes, it's going to interfere with storylines now and again, but I'd rather they be temporarily altered than permanently shut down.

If you're a WWE fan you SHOULD vote for Linda, because they have a lot of enemies in Congress.

God, how easy the world would be if I believed everything I read on the internet.

Let's start with the most ridiculous part of this; that performers are being maintained strictly because of fear of a backlash that would come from releasing them. Here's a headline that would play- "Linda McMahon's former company fires four people". Yippee. You simply can't fire enough performers to make a good looking headline in the Hartford Courant. However, this shit plays great if you're writing a headline for a professional wrestling dirt sheet. People desperately want to believe that enough people in Connecticut care about the WWE that storylines are being shaped to help Mrs. McMahon's senate run. If the people want it, sell it to them!

I'm not going to completely discount the prospects of the WWE making company moves based on Mrs. McMahon's desire to be a senator. However, it would be extraordinarily paranoid and self-centered of the WWE. The real risk Mrs. McMahon faces in her senate run is being attached to a violence and sex-ridden product marketed to children; which the WWE hasn't been for at least a decade. Old habits die hard, however. (For those of you who still insist that the WWE moving to PG was strictly because of Mrs. McMahon's senate run, the WWE is a publicly traded business whose goal is to maximize profits. If there was untapped big money in the TV-14 bracket, the WWE would be all over it.)

Most of my family lives in Connecticut. (I no longer do.) The issues people were concerned with during her last run were women's rights and Democratic/Republican control of Congress, and Richard Blumenthal was so popular in Connecticut that she never really stood a chance. Most voters aren't watching the WWE, and honestly don't care much about it.

God, how easy the world would be if I believed everything I read on the internet.

Let's start with the most ridiculous part of this; that performers are being maintained strictly because of fear of a backlash that would come from releasing them. Here's a headline that would play- "Linda McMahon's former company fires four people". Yippee. You simply can't fire enough performers to make a good looking headline in the Hartford Courant. However, this shit plays great if you're writing a headline for a professional wrestling dirt sheet. People desperately want to believe that enough people in Connecticut care about the WWE that storylines are being shaped to help Mrs. McMahon's senate run. If the people want it, sell it to them!

I'm not going to completely discount the prospects of the WWE making company moves based on Mrs. McMahon's desire to be a senator. However, it would be extraordinarily paranoid and self-centered of the WWE. The real risk Mrs. McMahon faces in her senate run is being attached to a violence and sex-ridden product marketed to children; which the WWE hasn't been for at least a decade. Old habits die hard, however. (For those of you who still insist that the WWE moving to PG was strictly because of Mrs. McMahon's senate run, the WWE is a publicly traded business whose goal is to maximize profits. If there was untapped big money in the TV-14 bracket, the WWE would be all over it.)

Most of my family lives in Connecticut. (I no longer do.) The issues people were concerned with during her last run were women's rights and Democratic/Republican control of Congress, and Richard Blumenthal was so popular in Connecticut that she never really stood a chance. Most voters aren't watching the WWE, and honestly don't care much about it.

If "ammunition" helps paint Linda in a negative light to the voters, it doesn't matter where it comes from or who pays attention to WWE. It's 2012, man, nobody pays attention to anything, lol. Everyone has their own niche unless it's frickin Facebook or something.

Think like a politician. The headline isn't "Linda's former company fires 5 people." The headline is "Company linked to Linda McMahon spits in the face of her image as a 'Job Creator'. Or something to that effect.

If Linda/Vince/campaign feels it will even raise a few eyebrows, especially now that I believe she has a slight lead in the polls, I cannot AT ALL see them do anything even in the slightest to jeopardize that or bring negative attention to Linda.

Do I agree with it? No, it's stupid as hell because I'm a wrestling fan and I want to see shit go down. Do I believe it's possible? Absolutely...YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Companies downsize everyday, anyone hear about Mitt Romney & Bain Capitol ? Heck O'Bama is the 1st president in morn than 4 decades who actually downsized fed jobs, not increased them.

In fact didnt they release some talent a few weeks ago in WWE ? If Lauranitas, who has been tied to the industry for almost 30yrs, really stunk at his job Vince would let him go. However, I do think we've seen the continuation of PG era philosophy due to a reluctance to have any current storylines in really bad taste linked to Linda. She can point to continued profits and less controversial shows as proof she is distanced from the crass, vulgar, often tasteless programming that dominated 96-00.

If you are unhappy with current programming, spiking it with swear words and juvenile skits wont help. You are unhappy with the lack of new stars since the last of the 80s and 90s guys left or retired. WWE isnt really much worse than it was early in the decade but ratings were much higher than today because HHH, Taker, HBK, Flair, dominated the programming and long time fans connected to them watched.

You dont need an end to PG Programming, you need some new performers that people care about (It would help if they stick around, unlike Batista, and stay off suspended lists unlike Orton). Course language isnt going to help and isnt likely coming back anytime soon. Besides, great entertainers showed over the years they can make good stories compelling without late 90s vulgarity, and wrestle great matches without thumb tacks, barbed wire bats, etc and still draw numbers.

Well, the question being posed by the OP is: "Linda McMahon Affecting Storylines?"

Considering only that, I'd say that if the original plan by Creative was to fire John Laurinaitis....and if the annual "Spring cleaning" isn't taking place because of the "job creating" aspects of Linda's campaign.....I would say that yes, her candidacy is having an effect on WWE storylines......and if it's so, I think it stinks.

When Linda ran for the Senate two years ago, she answered those who attacked her lack of political experience by saying: "Judge me by my record in business."

Okay, fine....but if aspects of her business (a business from which she has now divorced herself) are being dictated by her desire to gain political office, I say it's hypocritical of her; sort of like closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped. Her corporate experiences and her political aspirations should be two separate things; if one is sacrificed to accommodate the other, then both Linda and Vince are cheating their public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back