• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

King Sheamus deja vu??

shankit231

Occasional Pre-Show
How come now when the do a KOR tournament we have to watch some stupid boring storyline where the person acts like king, wears a crown and robe, and expects everyone to bow down to them. Booker T did it, William Regal was about to do it until he got busted, and now we have to see Sheamus do it. Why can't it be how it was. Austin came out with the 3:16 when he won it, Edge had a trophy, Brock got a title shot and won it the title. Now we have to see Sheamus where the stupid robe and crown and act like he is a King. I liked it better when they just used it as a title to give to a talent to help boost there status.

Err. Doesn't being KING Sheamus boost his status immensely........... And anyway that's what being the KING OF THE RING is all about. TO me its a good way to boost midcarder heels to a somewhat-main event heel status. Thats what it did for Sheamus, right?

Err. Doesn't being KING Sheamus boost his status immensely........... And anyway that's what being the KING OF THE RING is all about. TO me its a good way to boost midcarder heels to a somewhat-main event heel status. Thats what it did for Sheamus, right?

I think winning 2 WWE World Titles is what elevated Sheamus to a "somewhat-main event heel status". Any ways I digress.

I just don't like the fact that the storyline could almost be a rehash of the King Booker storyline. "I'm the King", "no I'm the King of Kings". Pedigree. 1,2,3. Ding ding ding "I'm the King" Hooray!

I actually like the "King" Sheamus gimmick. For whatever reason, the whole European King thing works for me. Though Booker went waaaaay overboard, it was kind of funny that he developed an accent and what not.

Regal would have been perfect to keep the gimmick for a long time.

I think Sheamus as King has a smart gimmick feel to it. Especially if the rumors end up being true that HHH comes back and they have a King Vs. King feud. I think WWE did the right thing giving it to Sheamus. They can probably do more with it than if Morrison would have won.

I think Del Rio would have really ran with it as well.

If you really want to go back, what about the "King" Harley Race? Or "King"Mabel? Or "The King of Harts" Owen Hart.

I understand how the OP points out Austin, Brock, Edge, Angle even, but the fact is, usually the winner of the KoR gets a "King" gimmick of some sorts. That's the way its always been.

If you really want to go back, what about the "King" Harley Race? Or "King"Mabel? Or "The King of Harts" Owen Hart.

I understand how the OP points out Austin, Brock, Edge, Angle even, but the fact is, usually the winner of the KoR gets a "King" gimmick of some sorts. That's the way its always been.

Sums it up. the people that didn't take the King gimmick are in the minority.
the ones mentioned as not taking the gimmikc were during the attitude era. Guess it woulda been seen as gay if they did the whole im a king thing.

Brock/Angle did wear the crown and cape briefly though.

irregardless those guys didn't need a huge push, they were already big stars or on the verge.

Really it's just another visual title of sorts to say, hey look this guy is going places unless he screws it up, don't need the crown etc. but without it they are aren't really any different to the way they were b4.

as for Wiiliam Regal well he's different, he pretty much always played a Royal snob/gentleman type character hence the surname "Regal". Just didn't don a crown and that stupid fur robe. The exception was the "Man's Man" - Lumberjack style persona he had during the attitude era when they brought him back from being busted for drugs.. the fact he won the King Of The Ring in 2008 is irrelevant.

Sheamus i think is just a way to keep him rellevant while they don't really use him in the title scene, and the obvious direction is a return series with Triple H to determine to real King Of Kings even if they is obvious and a little lame :)

On a side note, Time for them to bring the KOR back as a PPV the month or 2months b4 SummerSlam. get rid of one of the others and KOR can setup as the winner gets a title shot at SummerSlam like it originally was. it would still be a themed PPV, the only time of the year we have a 1 night tournament. it's lame having tournaments of only 8 guys that are shown over 3-4weeks.

I really do not mind Sheamus' KOTR run so far, although I'd like him to add his own little touch to it. What I mean by this is a slight gimmick change; I was thinking along the lines of a "Spartan High King" type King, where he would wear similar in-ring gear to Brutus Magnus (when he had his "moder Gladiator" gimmick going along). This would add a little change to Sheamus' KOTR reign and not make it too "copied", in terms of previous reigns.

*I know Magnus took that gimmick because he was a previous "Gladiator" but still... cool outfit, oh yeah another thing if anyone could find a picture it would be much appreciated*.

You know, I actually like Seamus look.The scepter, the crown, all very barbarian like, which is what they want to push him as.

I am a little disappointed they decided to call him King Seamus, but whatever, they'll use it to build up the feud with him and Trips.

Only complaint I have is when I saw they let him have a unique look, my mind went crazy thinking 'How cool would Morrison's look have been?' Oh well. Some things we'll never know

Shankit,
First of all, last time who was the King of the Ring?
William Regal, did he act like a king? NOT REALLY.
He was royalty already.

Now before that?
Booker T, Booker T needed something that can put him back into the main event spot, hes a 5 TIME 5 TIME 5 TIME WCW Champion!
I have to agree, there was no point of having him as a King or what not, but it was quite funny.

Now lets look at Sheamus winning the KoTR tournament.

Sheamus 2 Time WWE Champion, feuding with John Morrison at that moment, and took Triple H out of action.

WWE has a huge storyline planned for Sheamus when Triple H returns to have revenge against Sheamus.
Now heres a twist,
what way is better than having the King of Kings feud with the reigning King of the Ring?

This isnt a rehash of Booker T vs. HHH, this is something completely new to these younger fans. This is about revenge, unlike in HHH-KING BOOKER.

and plus, an IRISH KING? WWE could go so many places with this one.

The gimick is what it is. And I must say it works quite well with Sheamus. While initially I wanted Morrison to win it all, I think it has added a little extra entertainment wise with Sheamus. I'm digging it!

Here's the deal. They gave Sheamus King of the Ring to help himself and Morrison... those two put on some good matches that elevated them both. They knew by giving Sheamus King of the Ring it wouldnt hurt him to put JoMo over as #1 contender... creative did this very well by elevating both men in different ways and now having them both be future main eventers.

The only reason that they give Sheamus the king gimick is that when HHH returns they will restart the feud between them who is the real king, it will be not only the HHH revenge but also who is the true King of wwe somehow i feel it will last until mania and they will end it at mania in some kind of hardcore match

I'm like a lot of others when I say that I wish JoMo would've won it. It would have been really cool to have the top heel the WWE champion and the top face the King of The Ring. Then they could settle it in some kind of match at WM about who is the better of the two... But alas, it was not to be. I do kind of like the miz vs morrison feud they've been building on, but it kinda makes JoMo seem weak because he hasn't had a title reign since what, 2008? Before miz was wwe champ he was mr. money in the bank, before being mr. money in the bank he was the US champ, and before being the US champ he was 1/2 of the wwe tag team champs as Shomiz.

But back on topic, I do think that the KOTR status suits sheamus much better than Morrison, because of the whole 'european champ' thing. Although am I the only one that remembers the 1st crown he debuted after winning? with that whole purple horn crap? that was pretty sorry...

I personally like that sheamus has added this to his gimmick, beforehand he was this savage irish dude and now he's a savage irish dude that can back up what he says with his king title and gets a cape and a crown

How come now when the do a KOR tournament we have to watch some stupid boring storyline where the person acts like king, wears a crown and robe, and expects everyone to bow down to them. Booker T did it, William Regal was about to do it until he got busted, and now we have to see Sheamus do it. Why can't it be how it was. Austin came out with the 3:16 when he won it, Edge had a trophy, Brock got a title shot and won it the title. Now we have to see Sheamus where the stupid robe and crown and act like he is a King. I liked it better when they just used it as a title to give to a talent to help boost there status.

Honestly man, this is muchado about nothing. I can understand the complaint about Booker T, because it made for a long ass entrance. He did get a World Title win out of it, so Id say he was elevated, even if his entrance was annoying as hell. As for Regal, he became GM and got on a power trip, but how can one assert that someone was "about to do" anything? We'll never know what creative had in store for him because of his wellness policy violation. My understanding is that he was going to be pushed to at least contending for a World Championship, not having people bow down and kissing his pinky.

Anyway, the only thing that has changed between before and now is that Sheamus now has "King" before his name when it appears on the television screen and he looks wears a rediculous robe. His entrance hasn't changed, and Ive yet to see him ask anyone to bow down to him. It has elevated Sheamus, at least in term of his status. Did you catch the backstage interview between Matthews and Randy Orton last night? Matthews insisted Sheamus be referred to as "King Sheamus." That's using it as a title, correct?

The thing is, we dont know yet where this is going to lead yet with "King" Sheamus. Losing clean to Orton last night wasn't the best start, but Sheamus has already won two WWE Championships within the course of one year. Id say his status is pretty high already. While the robe and crown are quite silly looking, they havent changed anything about Sheamus. He's still a former two time WWE champion and now the 2010 King of the Ring, which will serve as an easy vehicle for the feud between Sheamus and a returning HHH. I think being KOTR, silly look and all, can only serve to enhance his status by the time all is said and done.

This thread is further proof that the IWC can and will bitch about ANYTHING under the sun. So Sheamus' ring gear has changed to some degree, big deal. That's really the only thing about his character that's really changed to any degree. He's still Sheamus, a great heel that puts on great matches.

As others have said, there have been times in the past where the winner of King of the Ring has some sort of a "King" character for a while. Harley Race did it, Randy Savage did it, Booker T did it and King Sheamus isn't anywhere even remotely close to being as hokey and cartoonish as those gimmicks.

Sheamus has had 2 WWE Championship reigns and now he's 2010 KOTR. Most of the time, not always but most of the time, a winner of the KOTR is someone that has a bright future in the WWE. When William Regal won KOTR a few years back, he was in line for a big push before failing a drug test. If you flunk a drug test in the WWE, then it usually takes a very long time, sometimes never, for Vince trusts you enough for a big push. If I'm not mistaken, didn't John Morrison fail a few years back and it's taken all this time for him to get into the main event scene? Whether or not he'll become a regular in the main event picture or not is yet to be seen.

At any rate, Sheamus winning KOTR is a good thing for him and it doesn't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back