"All Hail, King Sheamus" Keep It All In Here

The argument that former champions don't win King of the Ring is quite literally bogus. Bret Hart was definitely King of the Ring winner before he won the tournament, and in fact comparing his title reign to when he won the tournament is quite similar to Sheamus, actually. So, what's the problem? Hart lost the title and then won the King of the Ring some 6 months later. Sheamus was in the main event and champion twice, and it's been about the same amount of time since then that he now wins the King of the Ring tournament. The tournament is still helping to solidify a young star, as this just further cements the credibility and legayc of Sheamus on top of his title reigns. Nothing wrong with that at all.

And I think, if anything, this is also a way to help build up the feud between Triple H and Sheamus which will go into WrestleMania and be a pretty big match for the show. You have Sheamus taking out Triple H, Sheamus dominating RAW as champion and then winning King of the Ring, and then Triple H returns and wll derail his year at WrestleMania. It's perfect for the build up and promos that'll happen leading into WrestleMania, where I assume their big payoff match will take place.

I am torn.

I picked Morrison to win because I don't understand why people are so hung up on this guy. The guy does a mean flip, but there are at least five other guys on the Raw roster alone that can do a mean flip. He is deadpan in the personality department. He cannot talk. His punches blow. I hate the way he HAS to spin every time someone f'n throws him for a bump. As if people don't know wrestling is fake enough, we got Morrison doing everything but wearing a shirt that says "PRO WRESTLING IS FAKE" in his matches that just look ridiculous. They have really tried to make this guy a big deal for the past 5 years and he is still flopping.

On the other hand, I love Sheamus. The guy is just a beast in the ring. I love that he has a throwback style of someone from the 1980's. He is just a mean bastard that wants to hurt people. The best part about Sheamus's act is that if the other guy isn't selling for him, Sheamus WILL make him sell. I really really like that he won.

Well I would say that Del Rio, Ezekiel Jackson and Morrison would have benefitted more from winning the crown than Sheamus. The KOTR is usually a way to give a no-name guy some recognition. Sheamus is already a two time world champion so I do not see how a KOTR moniker would benefit him in the long run.

He has obviously been given the KOTR to further his feud with Triple H. This will set up a King vs King match at Wrestlemania, in my opinion. But as I said I do not think the KOTR crown would do a whole lot for Sheamus in the longer run.

Now I'm not overjoyed that Sheamus won but I do want to see how he plays the 'King' gimmick. I think we will be hearing a lot of Irish folk tales in the near future.

I'm not totally sold on the whole "King of the Ring winner Sheamus" versus a returning "King of Kings Triple H." Sure, that sounds good on paper, but let's face it, that's already been done before. They did this in 2006 with King Booker and Triple H. It could be argued that it received mixed reviews. Now I realize WWE is not opposed to re-doing things which have been done before, I'm just not totally sold on this being what's happening here at this time. Plus, when this happened last time, Triple H destroyed Booker T and arguably destroyed what was left of his WWE career in the process. How does it benefit Sheamus for him to be boasting about being the KOTR winner, only to have a returning Triple H steamroll him? Sure, this works for HHH's alleged ego, but I don't see the benefit to the new and rising superstar in Sheamus. Personally, I think Triple H is farther removed from an in-ring return than what is being suggested and as such is being returned to WWE TV, in my opinion, as the mystery GM. In this role, he could still make King Sheamus's life miserable as the King of Kings, but I don't see last night leading up to a continuation of HHH/Sheamus in the ring any time soon.

Unless of course, Triple H is really ready to hang up the boots sooner than we all realize, and continue his career behind the scenes. How terrific would it be for the King of Kings to return, only to be put out of action again (mostly kayfabe) by the real King. Now this would boost the career of King Sheamus far more, and allegedly these guys are buddies, so Trips might be willing to consider it. This would shock all of the IWC, who typically think they've got it all figured out, elevate Sheamus, and give a plausible explanation to Triple H remaining on the shelf for quite a while longer (if not permanently).

Just because you won King of the Ring doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. Or that if you lose you're done. Shamrock beat Rock in the finals, who became the bigger star?

Morrison was already looking strong but Sheamus only competed in one other match while Morrison had to work 2 before and had that bad arm. Sheamus already lost the last couple of months so he should look strong going into a possible feud with HHH.
thank you very much man i hate people taling about dropping the ball how can u got from feuding. with santino to hhh with out credibility. the only way was king of the ring

I have to agree with some of the other posts in that this was one of the dumbest moves by the WWE EVER!! At the risk of sounding redundant, Sheamus is a 2-time WWE champion so it's absolutely USELESS to have him as King of the Ring. John Morrison has been getting a great push as of late and this would have capped him off and pushed him to a possible upper-mid card and eventual main event status. HEAVEN FORBID THAT HAPPEN!!!! I also agree with Mr_Wrestling_Number_7 in that I don't think the WWE knows WHAT the hell they're doing anymore. First squashing Tyson Kidd in the KOTR qualifying last week when he JUST made a potentially great heel turn and now this. Really???? I honestly don't think they even care anymore as long as the sponsors keep shelling out the $$$$$$. On a little side note: Sheamus said "long live the king!" Gee, I wonder if he's gonna say something along those lines in the next week or two only to be interrupted by BEHOLD THE KING!!! THE KING OF KINGS!! Just a thought. If so, it seems a shame to waste the whole King of the Ring angle JUST for the sake of a segway of a HHH return.

I'm rather dissapointed in Shaemus victory aswell. Not really sure what the point was of putting this midcard distinction on an already established main eventer. The feud with Triple H would sell without the whole king of the ring vs king of kings bit. Triple H was put out of action by shaemus and has been out for 7 months, which is more than enough backstory for these two, really dissapointed in this decision.

Now that I think about it, I would've felt better about ANYONE else in the tournament winning that shaemus. Everyone else in the tournament could've used the rub, with the exception of maybe Daniel Bryan who's been white hot as of late. Del Rio would've been a great choice as it fits his established gimmick. Cody Rhodes really needs some more credible wins on his resume, and keeping him away from morrison in the first round and at least getting him to the semi's would've been a good choice. Zeke was ready for the big push with the ECW title, but got hurt and lost momentum. Giving him the tournament might've been far fetched, but he would've benefited from it, unlike shaemus who didn't need it. Drew has been doing a lot of nothing lateley, and this would've been a good way to get him back in the spotlight, same as Kofi, who's push is dead and could've used this win, or at least a good showing up to the semi's. Morrison was my pick to win, because I didn't see a Smackdown guy winning this, nor did I think shaemus would win (figured he would get himself DQed early) that left Morrison as the biggest name in the tourney. Kinda baffled at this decision.

I would rather have seen Del Rio or Morrison win, but it's not like Sheamus's winning will end up burying the losers either. Del Rio lost after Mysterio interfered. That adds more to their existing feud and losing via distraction doesn't exactly make you look weak. Morrison may have lost to Sheamus, but he was the only guy who had three matches, he was injured, and he still pushed Sheamus to the limit, so by no means does he look bad coming off the tourney. This also sets up their having a rubber match at TLC to provide some closure to that angle before the start of the king vs. king angle everyone is predicting with HHH.

You don't have to win KotR to get a push from it. The two losers who made it to the semifinals in no way looked outclassed being there. Now it's just up to spin the losses into something good. We can build on this!

I'm not really surprised. I had my bets placed on Ezekiel Jackson winning it in order to push the hell out of him. However, the very fact that Sheamus won it was more or less warranted. The finals allowed him to finally go over John Morrison, without killing his ass in terms of credibility (John's ass that is).

Like a lot of people have already expressed this is most likely due to Triple H being King of Kings. Yet I don't really see why they would need to do that. Considering there's more than enough for WWE to feed that feud off from.

Either way, I'm actually kinda happy to see Sheamus winning. He needs a bit of establishing to truly become a main event stay. Being King of the Ring and a 2 times WWE champion certainly makes him more than believable in the main event.

One of the stupidest booking decisions of the year.

Out of all the people in the tournament Sheamus was the worst pick to be KOTR.

First, Why does he need KOTR? He's a 2 time champ, an already established main eventer and frankly doesn't need to be king. He's the only king outside of Bret Hart that was already established as a main eventer but in Brets case it made sense because they were starting a new PPV and having someone established win was sensical, Sheamus winning makes no sense. You already have more than enough ammo to make a good feud with HHH so a whole King vs. King feud between the both is unneccessary.

Second, there are so many better picks to be KOTR. Alberto Del Rio for example would have been a perfect KOTR and would have taken the ball further than Sheamus ever will being king. Del Rio was the perfect person to be king but instead we get Sheamus.

If this was a year ago I would be all for Sheamus being champ, but he's went so far in the last year and KOTR is really more of a mid card thing that helps make new stars, since Sheamus is a main eventer and a star him being king is the most illogical choice. Didn't overly hurt anyone becoming king (Morrison lost looking good) but almost everyone in that match could have used the crown more and than Sheamus does.

Ahhh, yes ok the booking was done well. The way the tournament played out, sheamus was the logical choice but the point is he is established and once your established, your established it is that simple. You don't have to wonder about compromising the future or a wrestler once they have cemented themselves as a main event contender.

I think the best example I can think of should be kane. His very first feud which was with, of course, undertaker and the subsequent year and a bit where he feuded with people like austin and others on a small scale, nonetheless in the top tier meaning that he always had a place at the top, should he rise again. Flash forward and we have had kane very very rarely be in a main event angle since that time, he feuded against the power trip with undertaker in 02, had a small feud with HHH for the world title around the time he lost his mask and around that time remained high up with matches against people like goldberg. It was finally capped off againt taker at WM XX and since then, as far as I am concerned, he has not been as high on the card as then which is an entire 6 years floating around doing very little substantial work. Hell through most of 08-09 he basically was a tool for getting guys over, looked big and scary but got beaten by just about anyone including dolph ziggler for example. Then all of a sudden we get the situation we have now, kane looking great because we all know he can hang where he is, which is top flight with edge and taker, and does he look the slightest bit out of place. Nope, because he is over!

It's exactly the same, sheamus is undoubtedly over. First title shot less than a year after debuting on television and he beat the face of the company on what was essentially designed as a fluke victory. Nevertheless, people wont forget ths shock of the whole series of events then and for good reason. Months down the line, he holds the belt YET AGAIN!! To cap it all off, he put HHH out of action....thats it.....thats all sheamus needed and now he is one of the big boys for his rest of his time. Yeah he might dip down and get lost in stories that don't do anything for him, like this santino sitch, but the bottom line is all you have to do is have sheamus attack the champ of number one contender and you start up the engine again.

What everyone says is true, this ought to have gone to someone who's path to superstardome you are looking to really jump-start. This guy could have been practically anyone in KOTR EXCEPT for sheamus, with maybe bryan being able to rest on his U.S. title for the time being. At the end of the day, this win makes morrison's win over sheamus at SS look a bit flukey which would ordinarily ruin his push. But as Morrison always does, he put on a great great match with sheamus and doesn't look too weak so that is something huge to be thankful for.

But if WWE want to ensure that morrison doesn't slip back down before they have any control over it, they need to grab this situation by the horns and continue morrison's feud with sheamus at least until TLC, because right now with the hard fought victory and all things considered, this scenario looked more like it put sheamus over. I would hold off returning HHH to Raw until after TLC. I would have a match between the two and HHH either interfering in that match or causing some kind of distraction letting morrison win after a long match, that way both morrison and sheamus look strong, HHH looks strong and morrison can go on to feud with someone else to maintain his momentum. Right now morrison is about half-way up, he needs a good big push to get him all the way so that we won't forget how high he climbed.

And if for no other reasons, morrison and sheamus need to face off again because they have great inter and intra ring chemistry, producing very watchable matches and looking the part outside of the ring as well. For me this is the focal point of Raw right now because we all know cena and nexus are fine as they are, this is about the future of john morrison and making sure it wasn't all a waste of time.

The one thing I will say for sheamus is that his victory is APPROPRIATE. We all knew him as the strongest competitior before this tournament on past history and similar to del rio, sheamus has a lineage of celtic kings in his blood as a part of his gimmick. In this respect, it is not unwarranted that he won, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't need it and if it is simply used as a tool to fuel a fued, I'll not be overly impressed...

I predicted it the previous Raw that Lobster Head was winning. They kept hinting towards it with the commentary by continually saying, "Will Sheamus be the new King of the Ring?" Not to mention, when Zeke and Drew ended with a double count out, I figured Sheamus was making it to the finals. Noticing that Morrison and Sheamus had a feud going on, and Sheamus hadn't won yet, I had that weird suspicion he was winning. All hail King Lobster Head.

King Sheamus has a nice ring to it. It really doesn't mean a hill of beans that Sheamus is King of The Ring since he was already a 2 time WWE champion. Not every person who won King of the Ring has went on to become a star or WWE champion. Mabel and William Regal are examples. It boosted Regal a little but being the King of the Ring and jobbing in matches on Superstars really brings the prestige of that title down. It gives Sheamus more accolades to add to his resume. Its just weird to see someone win King of the Ring after they already became WWE Champion.

I'm a little disappointed that Sheamus won in the end. During the match I felt that Morrison was getting more and more crowd support and personally I felt him winning the KOTR would have benefited him much more than Sheamus. To me it seemed like had Morrison won then this could have been his final step to truly getting over but alas they go with the easy option. I can't see how they can they keep Morrison on his hot streak after a clean loss. Now all I see of the fued between JoMo and Sheamus is a way to keep Sheamus out of the title picture and not a way to elevate Morrison. I don't think Morrison's ever going to get there.

For the third time in a row this tournament just looks absolutely pointless. Just what is the point of making Sheamus King Of The Ring when he's already an established main event guy? He's already 2-time WWE Champion and has a feud with Triple H in his back pocket guaranteed. Why the hell waste the tournament on him when it could've been used on somebody, I don't know, NEW to the main event. The broadcast team spent the entire night yapping about how the the KOTR establishes careers and makes superstars break out. Who won it? The guy who broke out a year ago. Never mind mid card faces who are over like John Morrison or Kofi Kingston. Never mind the Mexican legend breaking out in WWE right now. No, let's give this one to the 2-time WWE Champion. Screw developing someone else.

My first reaction was that they got this one wrong, but after reflection I can see the thinking behind having Sheamus come out on top. I think it’s vital they keep Sheamus within touch of the main event rather than having him slip down to the midcard. Having him crowned KOTR will keep him relevant for quite some time and he can add it to his rhetoric of having already won two world titles. ‘I am King Sheamus’ – you can hear it already

They also needed to keep his character strong is the eyes of the fans, and two successive losses to Morrison would not have been ideal. Morrison on the other hand came out looking pretty strong as he wrestled an extra match, played out an injury to his arm and it was far from a squash.

My only criticism is that they could have had Sheamus win at SS, have Morrison win the KOTR but have Sheamus go on to win the feud strongly before he goes back to the Main Event. The way things are now Morrison really needs to keep his momentum either by coming out on tops with the Sheamus feud or going on to something else. My guess is they are slow building him for MITB at WM but that quite some time away and he could lose his momentum in that time.

I do think they are doing a good job of booking Sheamus – they’ve had him win cleanly pretty much all the time since he dropped the belt to Orton. He’s stayed relevant.

Great match also, superb match in fact. I want to see these guys have a long feud, they really do complement each other in the ring.

Why in the unmitigated fuck would you give Sheamus King of the Ring? Seriously. HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE KING OF THE RING! Last time I checked, King of the Ring was meant to be a stepping stone to bigger things to come. Bryan and Morrison could have used that push. But lets go with Sheamus so we don't forget he's muscular, white, and apparently tells too many lies. It's stupid and was pointless.

A loss to Morrison or Bryan doesn't hurt Sheamus at all. The man was beat by Santino just a few weeks back. And no one thought anything different of Sheamus. He's a wrecking machine and him coming out on top as King of the Ring doesn't benefit anyone... not even Sheamus. All this can be interpreted as... is a way to make Sheamus a champion without giving him a belt. Still really stupid, WWE. But far be it for the WWE to make a logical decision and try to help a babyface get some main event love.

yes it was an error, but you can't really blame that much on the wwe, the lack of Superstars are the reason for King Sheamus, they need to really make him look like a WM main eventer, in my eyes he wasn't till this happened.

they ditched the option of making a new breakout star? of course, but the opted with putting over sheamus, so he can claim the WM superstar status, so he can be the biggest heel going on today, at least that's why i think...

Really not a fan of this decision at all ..

By all means Sheamus could have been made to look strong in the tournament. He could have smashed his way through the matches only to be distracted by Morrison and lose. He would have looked totally dominant and Morrison would get another match against Sheamus at TLC ..

Then Morrison and Sheamus would have a good match in which Sheamus looked like he was going to win and suddenly Triple H interferes and Morrison wins. Jomo gets pushed Sheamus and Triple H feud continues WITHOUT this meaningless king vs king gimmick that they just don't need to push the feud.

Jomo or Del Rio should have won this. Whats even worse is the moment the double count out happened I knew what would happen the rest of the KOTR. The double count-out was poor as well. Really really poor. Both Jackson and Mcintyre could have done with a decent showing, heck even keep the count-out but at least have a half decent wrestling match before you do it.

But then I suppose it's not too bad as the WWE did give Morrison an excuse for not winning. He was in three matches as opposed to Sheamus' 2 and he was injured. Taking those into account with the length of the match and Jomo doesn't look too bad coming out of the tournament.

I think that Sheamus' win will just be used to fuel a feud of The 2010 King of the Ring against The King of Kings, Triple H. It does give some prestige back to the title of King of the Ring winner by having a former 2 time WWE Champion win it though. Regal did nothing and probably would have only gotten a mediocre push if he did not get suspended. I'm disappointed that Morrison did not win, but Sheamus was the next best option. He will likely continue to brag about his new title as the King of the Ring until Trips returns, to finish their feud.

I think that Sheamus' win will just be used to fuel a feud of The 2010 King of the Ring against The King of Kings, Triple H. It does give some prestige back to the title of King of the Ring winner by having a former 2 time WWE Champion win it though. Regal did nothing and probably would have only gotten a mediocre push if he did not get suspended. I'm disappointed that Morrison did not win, but Sheamus was the next best option. He will likely continue to brag about his new title as the King of the Ring until Trips returns, to finish their feud.
I was along the same line of thinking but...

Tonight he did what we all thought. He came out and bragged about putting HHH on the shelf and all that. He was even donned in a new King outfit. Then Morrison comes out and pretty much squashes him.

This kinda throws a wrench in the whole Trips return doesn't it? I mean you want Shameus to look strong when HHH comes out and puts him back in his place but instead, he looks weak by getting squashed by Morrison. It's nice that it gave JoMo a push but what does it do for the Trips return story if, in fact, that is gonna happen?

That was THEE dumbest looking KOTR crown I have ever seen!! Or- I guess I should say: worst I can remember!! What the fuck is up with that?? I hope it has something to do with being Irish. Do/did the kings over there wear crowns that look like glorified leather belts, to hold up your pants?

No gold, no silver, no jewels...just a black & maroon belt-like (made of leather) crown (including latch I beleive) that had 2 horns that looked like devils horns. I really hope there is some connection to irish history here, wrt this "crown"

If not- i'd say it the dumbest new award/title since TNA debuted their purple & silver transformers belt for Jeff Hardy!!

Just one week later & Sheamus has a legit looking KOTR crown!

Amen to that!!

Of course- it makes WWE look pretty dumb- now that he has a 2nd crown in 2 weeks- but whatever! I wouldnt have been able to take watching him come down to the ring with a maroon leather belt wrapped around his head for very long!

It was wrong to do. He was already a two time champ why does he need the king of the ring ? Booker is a bad comparison. Booker went after the heavyweight title then waited an eternity, was sent to SD, given the win at KoR, then had the horrible King Booker gimmick, just to have to put over Batista.

Sheamus is already in the main event. He doesn't need KoR. People who win in it, imo, should be those who haven't already been a player in the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back