"All Hail, King Sheamus" Keep It All In Here

Although they are two different people, i don't see Sheamus being able to continue with a "King" gimmick or making it entertaining over the long haul ala "King Bookaah". King Booker's reign was well written and booked. Til this day every time i think of "King of the Ring", i think of King Bookaah. So where Sheamus goes from here to me remains a good question. I agree with the guy about Triple H returning and proclaiming he's the King. But the only problem is they have already done that with King Booker.

they should of gave it to morrison or jackson. sheamus dident need it. this is just something to add to resume cause he already is a main event performer

Morrison should have won, but Sheamus is a solid pick. Sheamus did need a minor boost, but JoMo could have used this way more. Sheamus is already a main eventer, JoMo needs to get that last little boost. I can only hope his push just keeps going, he deserves it. As for Sheamus, I think this sets up a potential return for Triple H. The King of Kings vs The King of the Ring.... Has a nice ring to it. Sheamus can use this to build even more top momentum as a heel, but if HHH returns then he'd either get over even more or lose. I have to think that this will lead to another big push for Sheamus.

I have mixed feelings in regards to Sheamus winning this year's King of the Ring tournament.

Did Sheamus really need to be the winner? No. He is already a two time WWE champion and didn't need to add King of the Ring to his resume. That being said, just because most King of the Ring winners in the past, had yet to be world champion, there is nothing stating that a former champion couldn't win it. Some King of the Ring winners, still never amount to much after sitting in the throne. For Example: Billy Gunn, Mable & William Regal.

I would have preferred Alberto Del Rio to be the tournament winner this year as it would greatly add to an already excellent character, as well as it would benifit him to have the title of King of the Ring under his belt.

My main issue with Sheamus winning, is the road that he took to get there. Beating Kofi Kingston, getting a bye in the semi-final round and then facing and injured John Morrison isn't a great accomplishment.

I would have liked to see, Ezekiel Jackson winning against Drew McIntyre and then Sheamus facing Jackson and beating him to advance to the finals. I'm not sure why this didn't take place as it wouldn't have hurt McIntyre or Jackson. In fact, Jackson looked weaker not being able to dispatch of McIntyre and make it back to the ring before the ten count.

I'm glad Sheamus won. Him winning King of the Ring is really solidifying him as a bigger main eventer. Your main heel is going to need more accolades than just two WWE title reigns. Morrison has already been intercontinental, ECW, and tag team champion. He doesn't really need more to be a serious main eventer, except a big storyline heading to 'mania. Good move creative staff.

Is anyone else getting the bigger picture here?

john-morrison_feature.jpg

John Morrison was the guy who was put over tonight, not Sheamus.

Yes, before someone is stupid enough to think I didn't catch who won - Sheamus won a crown and the right to be considered KotR; for however much good that'll come in handy to a guy who's already earned a spot in the Main Event picture and doesn't need a "King" gimmick to re-establish himself there.

John Morrison, however, defeated Cody Rhodes - at the highest level Rhodes has been at, yet, in his career. Alberto Del Rio - a guy that's barely lost any matches, and was the odds on favorite to win it all. And came up just short to a guy who only had one other match in the night; Sheamus. Morrison was pushed tonight to be the true individual who looked like he should be elevated once again to the Main Event.

The real question should be, did it work? Did Morrison make anyone believe he handled his own and deserved to be where he was? I, personally, never thought the Sheamus feud made sense and assumed it only hurt Sheamus. What I didn't realize, until recently, was that Sheamus was actually elevating Morrison up to his level - to bring forth another potential Heavyweight Contender.

As for Sheamus, all this victory is going to do is help further his feud with Triple H. The "Long Live the King" line he gave at the end.. I almost thought Triple H was going to re-debut tonight, after being firm on thinking it won't come until the Rumble.

I can almost promise everyone, in my belief that is; I don't see the King of the Ring gimmick being with Sheamus beyond Elimination Chamber, or by Wrestlemania.. unless that happens to be where he & Triple H end their (by that time) year long feud.

Sorry Will but I disagree with that completely.

If the purpose of Sheamus winning the King of the Ring was to put John Morrison into the Main Event, then why not just have him win the tournament? Being King of the Ring would help him more than just making it to the finals.

Morrison could have used the title of King of the Ring to get him into the Main Event picture more than Sheamus, who already is considered on that level.

The WWE screwed this up bigtime... sheamus is already a 2 time wwe champ,and he's taken out HHH.. so how much more established can a guy get in a year...
i really was hoping to see del rio with the win.. he could pull off "the king" gimmick well,they could even put him in a mini feud with jerry lawler.. then you could have a del rio vs mysterio match in WM which could be built up well..
and for all those who say that this is gonna help him back to the main event..he never was out of the main event.. i thought the feud with morrison could go way longer.. maybe into a tlc or steel cage ladder match @ TLC..but wwe really screwed this up.. morrison is probably gonna lose his push and start feuding with ted dibiase, del rio's gonna go back to havin stupid main event matches against rey every smackdown.this really sucked..

I called this one right from the start cuz KOTR is nothing but a prop nowadays. If they were truly gonna elevate someone with this, it would've been Alberto Del Rio since out of all the guys in the tournament, he's the newest in WWE & has yet to accomplish anything unlike the others who have won a belt already with the exception of Zeke but Del Rio is a faster & more talented rising star than him and his gimmick comes close to the KOTR gimmick. But even though the win does nothing for Sheamus really, I'm alright with him winning it, just builds up more of his legacy in WWE.

Sorry Will but I disagree with that completely.

If the purpose of Sheamus winning the King of the Ring was to put John Morrison into the Main Event, then why not just have him win the tournament? Being King of the Ring would help him more than just making it to the finals.

Morrison could have used the title of King of the Ring to get him into the Main Event picture more than Sheamus, who already is considered on that level.

Not true. There have been several names to go through the King of the Ring tournaments, and come out losing in the Finals - yet still become more impactful because of their involvement.

These four instantly come to mind, and I'll toss in a bit on why.

1994: Razor Ramon: He lost to Owen Hart, yet went on to have arguably a more successful career. He'd only gotten one Heavyweight Championship match, at the 93 Rumble. But after this KotR run, he was back in the running as a top name in the Company.

Owen is pretty much one of only 2 guys (Mabel being the other) to take the KotR victory and make it work as apart of his character. So Ramon isn't a great first choice, but it still counts.

1995: Savio Vega: This is probably one of the best ones to use. Let's face it, Vega was pure shit. But his tournament run on this night was big for him. It pretty much was his debut, and more importantly put him on the map as being someone to contend with.

Sure, he never became a Main Eventer, persay - but facing everyone he did, only added credibility to his name and made him someone to consider as a star instead of a jobber.

1998: The Rock: Another similar case to Ramon, but Rock was a runner-up. Let's keep in mind, Rock wasn't a true star at this point. His KotR run wasn't even what people wanted. They wanted Dan Severn v. Ken Shamrock, and Rock spoiled it.

It was this, that ultimately put him into the next level to face guys like Shamrock, and Mankind, in the Main Event - and go on to win the next tournament he'd be put in; at Survivor Series later that same year.

2000: Rikishi: Kurt Angle was heavily favored, but Rikishi making it all the way to the finals, beginning with a (albeit DQ) victory over Benoit, then putting up a good match with Angle - it created the "next level" for Rikishi.

Who, as we know, would later go on to be the guy who "dun'it".

All of this, is why I believe John Morrison was put over more than the actual winner - in his losing effort. Morrison has been pushed, briefly, like a Ramon or a Rock; but perhaps it was this Tournament run that will help repush him into the Main Event scene to prove he has the stamina and longevity to go up against tougher opponents.. like an Alberto Del Rio, or more specifically a Sheamus.

I still think that between Morrison and Sheamus, Morrison would have benifitted more from winning King of the Ring than Sheamus.

Sheamus is already established as a main event player and if the WWE's plan was to put Morrison into the main event category, then why not have him beat Cody Rhodes, who like you said, is at the peak of his career so far. Then Morrison would go on to beat Del Rio who has barely lost a match since his debut. And then become the 2010 King of the Ring by getting the win over a two time past champion, Sheamus. That puts him into the main even scene more than just winning second place.

Regarding the examples you were gave, nobody that you listed was beat by a former world champ. Morrison was.

I can't help but thing that Sheamus' win will only lead to a Triple H feud upon his return. A Sheamus/HHH feud didn't need anymore fuel. HHH already has enough of a reason to feud with Sheamus. Feuding over who is a true king, is unnecessary.

Out of Morrison of Sheamus, Morrison could have used the King of the Ring title more than Sheamus.

I think Sheamus will work well as the KOTR and it's usually easier for a heel to pull off a pompus King than it is for a face to pull off a likable King.

The only problem I have with it is now we are most likely to get a re-hash of the King Booker / Triple H "im the king" "no im the king of kings" storyline from 06/07 or whenever it was Triple H came back at Summerslam.

The show didn't start off well for me. For starters, the recording started an hour late and I accidentally found out that the guy I'd described as "just, well, pretty shit" had defeated the guy I'd described as "just, well, pretty good" to advance. Yep, DBD had been defeated by ADR. Watching the match later - as I'd wisely recorded the show before it just in case - I'm surprised that suicide dive didn't actually, well, kill him. Silver linings and all that.

The final itself was a very good match. JoMo gave a very competent, fluid promo beforehand to firmly win me back onside and the two, as always, had very good chemistry that resulted in a very tense, exciting match. For a second there, I thought JoMo might just kick out. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Earlier in the night, I'd said this:

It's no secret I like Sheamus. I like him so much in fact that I'd be willing to label him as a (really) white version of Big Zeke. That's how good he is. But honestly, he doesn't need it, does he? I could see him getting the crown just so they could set up a cringeworthy pun about "King of the Ring vs. King of Kings" when Triple H comes back. I'd take the parental stance of not being upset, just being disappointed.

And, true to my words, I'm not upset. I'm just disappointed.

Will is correct in arguing that being runner-up in King of the Ring is no bad thing. MTM, however, is correct in arguing that what would have been even more beneficial for JoMo is, you know, winning the thing.

Sheamus as king is certainly not the worst thing that could have happened. I'd have preferred someone that wasn't already a two-time WWE Champion though. Furthermore, the situation would have definitely been lent more gravity if the royal props had not been made of foil and styrofoam respectively. Also if it had even been the main event.

I watched CSR last night, and of course my fav wwe marks J & J were backing either JoMo or Drew. Both could have been helped by the winning the crown, although I would agree the props people really need to stay away from Wallmart, albeit watching JoMo or Del Rio in that plastic crap would have been funny as hell. I digress. The CSR picks were reasoned and I can support some of the logic. I personally thought at least someone from SD would win given the recent mandate to push it.

However, what J & J and many posters seem to be missing is that most of the outcomes which made better sense long term (King JoMo etc) ignored the short-termism which has been indemic in creative for years. They're not writing for adults, they're writing for the 7yr who was sulking on raw last week. On that basis, something simple, that sets out in big neon letters 'Triple H is coming back soon so please keep watching' was always going to trump a well thought out idea.

As soon as the brackets came out with JoMo and Seamus at opposite ends, there was a huge hint. As soon as Alberto beat Danielson, it gauranteed JoMo was into the final, as creative is lothe to do heel v heel matches. Add to that the tame finish to Zeke v Drew, and another rehashed ppv event was assured. Looking at the state of Seamus in the final, its a good thing he didn't have to wrestle thrice. Really needs to work on his cardio.

So a surprise? No. A prodcutive longer term move? No. A neon sign to say Trips has got bored changing nappies? sadly yes. However, considering the way kings are treated in the WWE, either looking rediculous with $3 props or jobbing to a no talent gobshite (poor JKL, he waits a career for THAT?), JoMo and Albert might do better having avoided the crown. PV

I wouldn't of said Sheamus before last night, but right now I think it's actually pretty logical since Sheamus was starting to lose momentum, if not him I reckon it would really suited Del Rio's gimmick. I'm predicting now that over the next couple of months Sheamus is going to be really dominate and they will push his bully gimmick a bit more. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sheamus starts calling himself the "King of Kings" come one of the next 3 PPV's Triple H will return and try to destroy him with his trusty sledge hammer leading up to Wrestlemania. Triple H didn't even get a Triple H appreciation night as they have done with recent top stars retiring, so I can't imagine Trips is done quite yet.

I'm not saying that Sheamus shouldn't have won it, or that Morrison should have. But if the point was to put Morrison into the main event scene, then winning it would have given him more credibility than just winning silver.

If the point was the build a feud between Sheamus and Triple H, the feud was already started, and had a jumping off point for HHH's return. Crowning Sheamus as King of the Ring didn't need to be done just to set up the return of the "King of Kings"

aaahh....well Sheamus didn't need it. This should have really been used on Morrison to push him further. Its a shame that HHH's need for Sheamus to be strong for his returning feud overrides any other desicion of the KOTR tournie.

I'm not sure why he won it to be honest! I thought Morrison would the win - let us hope the WWE knows what they are doing - maybe HHH will be returning and it may develop a storyline.

Or maybe the WWE are not going to be putting Shemus in title contention for a long time so maybe giving him KOTR is his reward for being relegated down to mid-card for the forseeable future?

Forget how the tournament was booked, very rarely do tournament winners ever actually wrestle all 3 matches in the tournament, and if they do, one of the matches is usually against someone hurt i.e. Angle v Rikishi, Sheamus v Morrison or they get byes, or they have a squash victory i.e. Regal v Hornswoggle, so that shouldn't really be a factor.

For those of you who've mentioned Booker T being a former champ before he won KOTR, go ahead and remind yourselves that those were all WCW title reigns and not WWE ones, so technically, no he wasn't a former world champion in WWE's book.

Forget who i wanted to win (because it certainly wasn't fuckin' JoMo), but i have to agree with everyone that said Sheamus shouldn't have won.

- They've pushed Sheamus to the moon for the past year solid. He won the WWE title in 166 days (second quickest title win in history) against John Cena of all people. He also put HHH out of action and then went on to win the belt again!

- He's had wins over Cena, HHH and Randy Orton.

- He could easily crush Miz in a throw away TV match and regain any lost momentum from his Santino/JoMo work. Jobbed all year, but you beat the champ straight up? Then surely you're a contender aren't you?

- If they've purely done this so that HHH can come back and do a 'King v King' match, then i swear i give up with this shit.

A) Their fued doesn't need it. Weren't HBK and Taker able to have a year long fued based on HBK not beating Taker in 1 match? And weren't HBK and Jericho able to have a 6 month fued based on Jericho throwing HBK into a TV monitor? So why the fuck can't HHH and Sheamus continue their fued based on Sheamus trying to end HHH's career? How does Sheamus wearing a crown help elevate THAT fued?

B) When was the last time anyone ever gave a shit about a 'King v King' match? Does no one remember how badly HHH v King Booker went down with the audience? Seemingly once HHH's return entrance was over, so were the cheers....... and yet they want to try it again......

I've no problem with Sheamus. I like the guy as a breath of fresh air in the ME, but after reading all the suggestions that people have given for what he could move on to do, i've yet to see one where it was necessary for him to be KOTR in order to go that route.

I personally don't give a shit about JoMo, but i still think he'd have been a far better choice for KOTR than Sheamus.

And having one or two decent matches with Sheamus doesn't guarantee JoMo anything. Kofi had some awesome matches with Orton, and what's he doing now? Jack shit is what!

this is a good move in my opinion sheamus is not a star yet yes he has won 2 wwe championships but he has only been there for a little over a year and is in no way established this is another acolade that will help him to become the star. this also seems to suggest the king of kings return is imminent something which im very happy about. as for morrison he is still on a push right now and had a good showing this wont hurt him and he will continue to steadily rise he just wasnt ready for this yet and the same can be said of del rio who i think would have been a better pick than morrison as smackdown needs more main eventers as kane edge cant last much longer.
so all in all i think this is the best thing to happen and can help sheamus become the biggest heel in the company

in my opinion sheamu winning king of the ring will open up For the King of Kings to come back to stomp a mud hole into him :)

Thats what I thnk ths is the bet way for HHH to come back )

The tournament have always and should of been to get somebody over and not to keep someone over. Morrison so needed but instead 2 time world champ Sheamus wins and completely makes him putting John over at the series pointless

Sheamus didn't need to win, but with the predictable logic (Morrison won at the PPV), you knew once you saw the bracket who was going to face off in the finals and who was going to win. From a character development standpoint, this is a demotion for Sheamus. He doesn't need this to build his feud with HHH, he just needed to beat the crap out of people and talk shit, so HHH can come in and be the hero. They just over complicate everything, and hurt the mid card in the process.

Its a shame that you can see through the booking like a polished window. You can already see where they are going with this.

As someone else said, I'm not upset but rather disappointed. My picks were JoMo, Drew (I mean he could've go back to ME status) and/or ADR. But Sheamus? The guy is great, I mean he "took out" HHH. Not many people can say that, is almost an accomplishment. Yeah the guy jobbed against Santino, but then against Morrison and even if he lost he didn't lose any credibility. In fact he made look like gold JoMo between Survivor Series and last night's RAW. I mean he can't win every single match. Losing doesn't make him look weak at all.

Anyway, I do have a problem. I only hope that this isn't a "king of the ring vs king of kings" feud. They have already unsolved issues: SHEAMUS TOOK OUT HHH FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS!! He doesnt' need anything else to add to the feud the formula is right there. I also hope he doesn't take the gimmick of "king" that is ALWAYS bs. King Mablee, King Booker?? BS every time...

Booker T didn't 'need' to win King of the Ring but he did. Some argue he had a great run as King Booker. Just something to think about here.
Sheamus did need a boost after seeming pretty weak lately. Although I think Morrison or Del Rio could have benefited more from winning, Sheamus will do a good job as the new King (hopefully more than Regal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back