• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

King of the Ring 2014

I don't know what their problem was with it. Why they ditched it/relegated it to being a TV thing. It was always one of my favourite shows of the year. PPV tournaments rule! Cody would be a good winner, as would Sandow for sure. Ziggler too maybe, considering the depths to which he has fallen.

Well, if WWE had any intention on doing KOTR this year, we'd likely have heard something about it by now. It's a shame if they've shelved the concept altogether. NXT should adopt it or something.

Should King of the Ring live on and how?

1)WWE only cares about matches involving storylines that can be promoted for a month ahead of time leading up to the ppv. With a tournament, you don't know what the matches are going to be once you get past the first round, so therefore you can't build a storyline. I for one don't care about that and would welcome a month long build to an event with ZERO storylines and nothing but wrestling. It would be refereshingly old school, but WWE would never go for it.

mmm

It would be interesting if it was revived as a recurring NXT special along the lines of Takeover

Reactions: WBL
Well, if WWE had any intention on doing KOTR this year, we'd likely have heard something about it by now. It's a shame if they've shelved the concept altogether. NXT should adopt it or something.

Should King of the Ring live on and how?

What would they do with the winner though, unless it's a chance to move up to the main roster? After watching NXT and the last Takever, some of them are already to move in my opinion. I have no idea what the WWE is waiting for.

Why would they put Barrett over Rusev at this point? Until he gets fed to Cena, he won't be jobbing to anyone.

What would they do with the winner though, unless it's a chance to move up to the main roster? After watching NXT and the last Takever, some of them are already to move in my opinion. I have no idea what the WWE is waiting for.

The winner would play the king role to the hilt in NXT. To me, the crown and title "King of the Ring" are good prizes that can be used to accentuate a talent. It wouldn't be a bad gimmick to debut under, either, but it doesn't have to be used that way.

I was really just holding out hope that we'd hear something about a tournament this year, and, since one hasn't materialized, I'm wondering if it's just time to let it go.

The winner would play the king role to the hilt in NXT. To me, the crown and title "King of the Ring" are good prizes that can be used to accentuate a talent. It wouldn't be a bad gimmick to debut under, either, but it doesn't have to be used that way.

I was really just holding out hope that we'd hear something about a tournament this year, and, since one hasn't materialized, I'm wondering if it's just time to let it go.

I think they gave up on the idea a while back, and maybe it is time to let it go. We don't see a lot of tournaments now anyways. Seems the only pushes we see are the main event guys, the mid card is kind of a shambles right now.

It kind of makes sense for them to replace Survivor Series this year with King of the Ring, to determine the #1 contender for Lesnar's title at the Royal Rumble.

I think this would legitimize it a bit, as you know you'd have a decent contender instead of the Mabel's and Billy Gunn's who've won it in the past. Of course, they could always have Rusev or The Big Show win it and job him out to Lesnar, but it'd be more likely a top guy like Randy Orton, a returning Batista or Daniel Bryan who would get the spot.

I always liked the King of the Ring. Mainly because I love the idea of tournaments, especially if there was a title match given to the winner (like the Rumble). They can still have other matches on the card, like a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match, a Tag Championship match and a Diva's Championship match to fill out the card and help "sell" the PPV.

Could be a great way to turn Orton face (maybe being forced to go against Rollins or Kane in the brackets) and build him towards a shot at Lesnar.

King of the Ring - Building off my idea above
Round 1:
Randy Orton (heel) def Dolph Ziggler (face)
Barn burner, lots of close falls, Ziggler even teases acting like a heel/desparate to win, Orton won't stay down, great match, Randy gets a clean win, face style... show of respect/handshake post-match and fans pop

Round 2:
Randy Orton (tweener) def Rusev (heel)
Rusev is fresh, probably squashes Heath Slater in round 1, typical anti-USA promo. Orton exhausted, booked as a face, makes a comeback and gives Rusev his first loss... huge pop from crowd, unexpected, Orton instant babyface

Round 3:
Randy Orton (face) def Seth Rollins (heel)
Authority members forced to face off, Rollins in full on heel mode, probably getting a bye to round 3 and Orton booked as a face, probably interference from Kane too, makes an unsuspecting comeback and win

Why is Seth in the tournament when he has the briefcase? Maybe Kane gets to the final, but is injured in the process and Rollins takes his place on behalf of The Authority. Making him fresh and giving him even more heat. Orton/Rollins adds some unpredictability, plus sets up a future feud. Kane in the final is an obvious loss.

In one night, Orton is your number 1 babyface. Gets a title shot vs Lesnar. Looks like a legit opponent. And is also feuding with his former allies in the Authority. Lots of intrigue heading into TLC/Rumble/Road to WM.

I think this should have been the launching point for one of 3 future stars: Cesaro & Bo Dallas and Rusev.
In my opinion they should have done this PPV back instead of battleground and do it as follows:

Qualification Round:
Bo Dallas def. Sin Cara
Stardust def. Curtis Axel.
Titus Oneil def. Fandango.
Sheamus def. Randy Orton via a Disqualification.
El Torito def. Hornswoggle.
Heath Slater def. Adam Rose.
The Miz def. Zack Ryder.
Big E def. Alberto Del Rio.
Luke Harper def. Jimmy Uso,
Cesaro def. Brodus Clay.
RyBack def. The Great Khali.
Jack Swagger def. Kane.
Dolph Ziggler def. Justin Gabriel.
Damien Sandow and Goldust fought to a Double Count Out.
Kofi Kingston def. Diego.
Rusev def. R Truth.

1/16 Round:
Bo Dallas def. Stardust.
Sheamus def. Titus Oneill.
Heath Slater and. El Torito fought to a No Contest.
Big E def. The Miz via a Count Out.
Cesaro def. Luke Harper.
Jack Swagger def. RyBack.
*Bye* - Dolph Ziggler
Rusev def. Kofi Kingston

1/8 Round:
Bo Dallas def. Sheamus.
*Bye* - Big E
Cesaro def. Jack Swagger
Rusev def. Dolph Ziggler

Semi Final Round:
Big E def. Bo Dallas via a Disqualification.
Rusev def. Cesaro via a Count Out.

Finals match:
Rusev def. Big E.

I hope they bring it back and replace MITB with it. In my opinion, MITB has ran it's course and should end with Rollins. It would be nice to see more tournament formats anyway like with they did with the IC title (this should be an annual event). The possible winners of the KOTR I would like to perhaps win are Cesaro, Bad News, Bo, or Big E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back