Justin LaBar is what is hurting wrestling

Paglino's latest column. Oh Lawd what a mess:

A few months ago it was reported Vince no longer likes the concept of a heel and/or face. Does he like the concept of good storytelling? I’m not so sure.

Starting off great. Appealing to the internet fanbase.

Are the Wyatts heels? If so, why?

Yes. Bray Wyatt is a false prophet who hopes to destroy this world and recreate it in his image.

Is Brock Lesnar a heel? If so, why? (and Paul Heyman is not a reason)

Yes. Brock Lesnar is a part time mercenary who has destroyed most of the top stars, conquered the streak, and is now the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. All as a part-timer.

If Brock would have beaten down Bryan like he did Cena, people would HATE him. Because it's Cena it's okay.

What does any character in WWE do to make him or her a heel?

I'm not going to do a list. Watch the show.

Are the Dust Brothers heels simply because they punched up The Usos a bit after a match?

They just turned heel. Give it time.

Is Paige a heel because she skips around the ring like AJ Lee? Is AJ Lee crazy because she skips around the ring like AJ Lee? That angle is completely absurd, and the entire character of AJ has been reduced to skipping.

Paige sneak attacked AJ because AJ took the Divas title from her. People may not like AJ, but they really don't like cheap shot artists. And that angle has received constant praise from fans and critics.

There are no true heels left in WWE. Randy Orton could be one but I don’t remember the last meaningful thing he’s done on TV.

Evolution vs Shield

Chris Jericho could make Bray Wyatt a better heel, but he’s too busy not caring about pro wrestling to do anything of any importance. Let’s face it, his recent WWE run has done absolutely nothing to help Bray. If anything, it’s knocked Bray down a few rungs on the ladder because it’s obvious Jericho doesn’t really care anymore. Either that or creative thinks Jericho’s light-up jacket accounts for good storytelling.

Chris Jericho is not a pro wrestler anymore. He’s a “multi-media superstar.” Whatever that means.

This I will agree with. Jericho vs Wyatt looked good on paper, but was poorly executed.

Remember when The Wyatt Family was the hottest thing on WWE TV?

Remember when Bray Wyatt cut unique promos on TV?

When is the last time any of those two things happened?

This has less to do with the face/heel status of Bray and more to do with an internal conflict in creative.

Heels need to be heels. It’s an essential part of good storytelling, in my opinion.

Let the heels get evil.

See guys; we don't get it. In his opinion, heels need to be heels because it makes for great storytelling. Thanks for showing us the way because we were blind but now we see.

The Wyatts need to get evil. Brock Lesnar needs to get evil. If you disagree, I beg you to watch the episode of Smackdown when the best wrestler in WWE (at the time) threw a one-legged wrestler down a flight of stairs in a wheelchair.

That was evil.

That got Lesnar over as a heel, and to reiterate, he was the one of the best technical wrestlers WWE had to offer at the time.

????

Brock Lesnar was considered a technical wrestler?

So what will happen at Night of Champions? Will Lesnar destroy Cena again? Will Cena win the title back?

Are either of those things necessary?

Well, if we want a clear result, then yes.

I don’t think so. I think Lesnar needs not only to beat Cena, but he needs to establish himself as an actual heel. An unbeatable heel. That might mean Authority interference in the Night of Champs match, but he needs to be a heel. If not, then who do you actually want to see defeat him? Reigns? Not now. DB? Who knows when he will be healthy again. Cena? Nope.

Again, if this was Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Dean Ambrose, The Rock, etc., then Brock Lesnar would be the most hated man in wrestling. It was against Cena and the only reason it was against Cena was because Bryan required surgery.

There are true heels left. It's just a different time now.

He doesn't once mention Seth Rollins, who, in the space of three months, has betrayed his best friend, then drove his face into some cinder blocks.

Of course, mentioning Seth Rollins would destroy his argument, so he just ignores it. It's just bad journalism.

My problem with the column is that it is spur of the moment and not looking at the whole situation in WWE.

The characters that are heels are actually pretty well fleshed out. The problem is that they don't have strong enough faces to work with them. That's why you get Jericho/Wyatt. It looks good because fans love Jericho, but it bombed because Jericho wasn't in on it 100%.

Part of the problem is circumstance. Daniel Bryan is injured and CM Punk left. That's #2 and #3 of your top faces in the company. That's two segments that each week are guaranteed to be good to great. Add in Bad News Barrett who was really coming into his own and your out 3 guys who each week bring it.

This doesn't absolve WWE from blame. They have Reigns and Ambrose, but they had the chance to make Big E and Cesaro great faces. Even Sheamus is pretty much aimless at this point. As much as I dislike Ziggler, he does have the audience backing him but this is probably his ceiling and he won't go higher then where he currently is. That's where you entertain the idea of "Well, what about Big Show against Bray Wyatt?", which is not appealing. I could understand why HHH would be hesitant to bring up more of the faces of NXT.

His column was short-sighted and not focusing on the real problem, which is that in reality, again, WWE does not have faces that are strong enough to work with their strong heel characters at the moment.

The biggest problem I can see in WWE at the moment has nothing to do with the quality of the characters, but rather the quantity.

Discounting Jericho, Lesnar and Bryan, there are only 7 wrestlers I would consider upper-midcard at this moment in time (Wyatt, Ambrose, Reigns, Rollins, Cena, Orton and Kane). Every single one of those seven except for Wyatt is either a part of The Authority or feuding against members. There's also a stupid Bella storyline stemming from Authority related issues that's getting a lot of hype. See how this is an issue?

In contrast, the mid-card is clustered with at least 25 active wrestlers, none having any relation to The Authority (apart from maybe Cesaro), and yet, only Rusev seems to get any sort of attention from Creative, which is just a short term push anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back