• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just How Good Was Ron Simmons?

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
Those who started watching wrestling a few years ago know him as that loveable guy who says "Damn!" Those who started watching during the Attitude era know him as that guy that led the group that eventually produced The Rock. And those who started watching him earlier in his career know him as one half of Doom.

This all sounds a bit "meh" when looked at in this way and I find that this is too often how he is portrayed: A guy who used to be "somebody" (though we struggle to remember when this was). Despite being easily recognizable to anyone who has had a passing interest in wrestling over the past 20 years, Ron Simmons seems to be just as easily forgotten. Why?

Is it possible that Ron Simmons, the man, was simply too good at what he did? So good that his character was never seen as larger than life because he didn't need to be. He was an intimidating presence that no one wanted to mess with. And that was it. His whole career was him being known as a tough guy, the man no one dared to cross, the man that even when he lost we still knew he could have beat his opponent's ass. The only background he was ever given was that of a standout football star at Florida State and that was only to put an extra stamp on his legitimacy.

So what do we so often overlook about the accomplishments of Ron Simmons? Well, his first feud was against the Junkyard Dog, the top black wrestler of his era, which is no small accomplishment. He then became one half of the first officially recognized WCW Tag Team Champions along with Butch Reed as Doom. Then the controversy arose.

In August of 1992, Simmons won a lottery to face Vader for the WCW World Heavyweight Title and defeated him in a quick match to become the first ever black Heavyweight Champion. Except many claim that he wasn't. Bobo Brazil blazed the trail for successful black athletes within the wrestling industry and won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in October 1962 from Buddy Rogers. Except the NWA doesn't officially recognize the title switch and thus the controversy was born.

Whether Simmons was the very first black man to hold a World Title or not, he was most certainly the first black wrestler to hold a World Title on a nationally televised program. He was also the first to have a lengthy run with a World Title, holding it for five months before losing it back to Vader. It seemed that Simmons was no usual man, no matter the color of his skin, and this would hold true as he entered the World Wrestling Federation.

Anyone you ask will say that Stone Cold Steve Austin was the man that made the Attitude Era, it was on his back that the WWF made the turn from cartoon characters into a more extreme environment. Many will give Shawn Michaels a large part in this uprising as well. But I would argue there was another man who was heavily responsible for this rise; and no, that man's name isn't Dwayne Johnson.

After quickly shedding the blue gladiator garb and donning a more serious look, the newly dubbed Faarooq began a group that sat at the center of public controversy for the entirety of his involvement within it. The Nation of Domination was the WWF's take on the Black Panther movement and instantly thrust them into the national spotlight.

It was not only the existence of the group that made it such a spectacle, it was the absolutely chilling speeches and performances of Faarooq that added the much needed credibility to the entire presentation. Without Faarooq the Rock never would have taken off with as much momentum as he did, without Faarooq the black demographic never would have flooded to wrestling like they did during this time, without Faarooq the overall presentation of Monday Night Raw never would have been as serious and legitimate as it became.

Yes, without Stone Cold Steve Austin, without Shawn Michaels, without The Rock then the Attitude Era never would have been as huge as it was. But I would argue that without Faarooq the same argument can be made. Relegated to a midcard act that was never meant to be anything more, Simmons created a group that defines the Attitude Era as much as any other and without him the WWE as we know it today would be radically different.

We think of Daniel Bryan as an underdog, a talent held down and never meant to take center stage, I would say there has never been a truer example of this struggle than that endured by Ron Simmons. As the top black athlete of his time he fought and clawed his way to the top when racism was still very prevalent and used his talents to create success after success. Doom, the Nation of Domination, the Acolytes (and the eventual Acolyte Protection Agency), along with his singles runs as Faarooq and under his own birth name Ron Simmons, all were huge successes within wrestling, all had the same common thread.

How good was Ron Simmons? As good as anyone has ever been.

Ron Simmons was a great athlete but he was not a great draw. His run as WCW world champion was terrible. He drew poorly in house shows, ppv's and at the gate. Bill Watts explained it perfectly when he said Simmons was a good athlete but not the best athlete. He was a good talker but not the best talker. He was a good wrestler but not the best wrestler so on and so forth.

Not to diminish what Simmons accomplished being the first African American champion in wrestling hut it did not result in box office success.

Ron Simmons sucked. There's no way round it.

An undeserving world champion who might've taken off if me maybe, just maybe, had a distinguishing characteristic or was anything other than a functional worker.

Ron accomplished a lot of important things in the business but he was not "great" by any means. His best matches and most entertaining angles, IMO, came as a member of the Acolytes and later the APA.

He does belong in the HOF for his significant accomplishments as the first black world champion.

That said, he was not all that remarkable in the ring.

Honestly I didn't know of Ron Simmons until he debuted with that Gladiator Gimmick as Sunny's bodyguard Faarooq Asad. But that didn't last long. But years down the road finding out he beat Vader to become the first African American Champion I can respect that. He was a great athlete and one of the toughest and strongest guys on the roster. But I believe WWE failed to keep him dominant or relevant especially after the NOD and APA days. The closest he ever came was a feud and a KOTR lost to the Undertaker in 1997. Then from that part on just downgraded to Rev. D-Von's tag partner, to just saying one word catchphrases. But he had a good career but it was sad that WWE was not able to match his career with the success he had as a member of the NOD and The APA.

I think if he had come to WWE one year later, it may have been different. He came when they were still producing cartoon characters and they were just on the cusp of the attitude era. If he debuted 6 months to a year later, they could have built him up as a WCW former champion that they had just signed. Not saying that they should have given him the Ric Flair treatment in '91, but they definitely could have made him a much more credible intro than that stupid gladiator gimmick. It was still the Shawn Michaels era too, and they took an absolute MONSTER in VADER and made his WWE career look bad.

I think if he had come to WWE one year later, it may have been different. He came when they were still producing cartoon characters and they were just on the cusp of the attitude era. If he debuted 6 months to a year later, they could have built him up as a WCW former champion that they had just signed. Not saying that they should have given him the Ric Flair treatment in '91, but they definitely could have made him a much more credible intro than that stupid gladiator gimmick. It was still the Shawn Michaels era too, and they took an absolute MONSTER in VADER and made his WWE career look bad.

They really couldn't have given Simmons the "Flair" treatment. All Simmons was, was a transitional champion during a rough period in WCW. Flair was the reigning NWA World Heavyweight Champion (until he was stripped of the title) when he signed with WWF and never lost the belt (he bright the Big Gold Belt on to WWF TV).

But as far as Ron Simmons is concerned, he was good on the mic and he was a good wrestler. But he wasn't great at either. More importantly, he didn't have "it." Simmons got the belt because he was at the right place at the right time. Management wanted to take a chance and see if they could turn him in to a main event star by giving him the strap, but it didn't work.

I think it's rather insulting that people call him "the first black world champion" as if he race had anything to do with the matter. People who think it does are really just closet racists who have to segregate in their minds, but I digress.

^ No one is a closet racist. He is black, and he is the first black man to win the World Heavyweight title. This is worth mentioning, the same way everyone mentions how Obama is the first black President. Being the first person from a historically disenfranchised minority group is usually worth mentioning and a laudable accomplishment despite wrestling being fake.

Speaking of racism and Faarooq, I am surprised the WWE never caught much flak on their racial, gang stables that feuding with one another in 1997 at the beginning of the Attitude era.

Raw is War looked more like an episode of Oz, but it was still very entertaining.

Ron was very good, and I think the OP makes a great point here when he mentions the air of legitimacy that he carried.

Simmons was a guy you just took one look at and saw tough guy. In the ring, he worked real physical style and really laid in his moves so you could see that they hurt. It all added to his character, which was simply a bad ass, tough wrestler.

Despite the fact that he was a WCW World champion, I always felt that his best work was in the WWF. Once he got away from the goofy gladiator gimmick, as the leader of the Nation he was very believable and intimidating. That's where he really found a way to tap into that tough bad ass aspect of his character, and he helped bring a different, more grounded aspect to the show. Professional wrestling is a show, and to make it work, it requires all different types of characters. Simmons did his part very well and helped put over a lot of different people during his time there.

I do think in some regards, that his time as WCW champ hurt him... because he just wasn't ready to be the top guy at that time. He'd been a pro for maybe 6 years when he won the belt, and had been with WCW for a couple years by then, but mostly as a tag team guy. He wasn't built properly so that the fans could accept that he was the top guy in the company, and that stigma hurt him for a while until he was able to get out of WCW, go to the WWF and reinvent himself.

Then again, the main reason he became the champ was because Bill Watts had taken over, and one of Watts big things was he liked to have a legitimate tough guy with legitimate athletic credentials as his champ. Out of everyone in the company at the time, I believe that Simmons was the one that fit that bill the best.

Ron Simmons there is only one word to say DAMN!!!! He was the first African American World Heavyweight Champion. Now Bobo Brazil was the first but he did not accept the title or a title regin in the NWA because he did not believe that the wrestling fans would not accept him as champion at least according to Wikipedia but once again its Wikipedia. But I will tell you I could not believe it when Jim Ross announced it on WCW Saturday Morning Wrestling Show!!!!!!! Until they showed the footage could not believe it. That was a pioneer moment in wrestling history!!!!! Now Ron was great in Doom with Butch Reed and Teddy Long tag champions!!!!!! Then his feud with Lex Luger for the WCW title made him a main eventer before the title win their 2 out of 3 fall match at Halloween Havoc 91 is so underated!!!!!! But his first and only title run wasn't bad a good match with Catcus Jack at the Clash a ok match with Barbarian was ok and his match with Steve Williams at Starrcade was ok as well. Ron Simmons was a good champion and he beat a great champion to earn that run in Vader. I felt WWE wasted him as Faarooq Accad some crappy Gladiator from the streets. As the Leader of the Nation he was great and help make guys like D'Lo, Godfather, and the Rock. Nation was at its best when he was the leader when he came out and whooped Bret Hart with a belt was classic!!!!! His run as a rough tough guy in the Acolytes was good as well whether it was in the Ministry or the APA protection agency was good as well. Ron lived up to his NCAA football career and his wrestling career since he is a Hall of Famer in both!!!!!! One thing to say about Ron's career is DAMN!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back