What did you think of Faarooq as a face in 1998?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
The man behind the Faarooq gimmick (Ron Simmons) may have been nearing 40 years old in 1998, but he still had some value for the WWF Attitude Era, given that he recently had a run with the Nation of Domination as their leader from '96-'97 to '97-'98 before Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson usurped his leadership to become the new leader after WrestleMania XIV (14). It just seems that Rock was originally supposed to be a supporting member because Faarooq was the central focal point of the Nation, but once Rock emerged, that was it for Faarooq as a big time major singles performer for the WWF.

For much of 1998 since his face turn, Faarooq was mostly allied with Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman while feuding with The Rock, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Mark Henry, The Godfather and a bunch of lower card performers in The Headbangers and the Disciples of Apocalypse (sans Crush and Chainz) before allying himself with Bradshaw in late 1998, forming The Acolytes originally managed by The Jackyl (Don Callis) before evolving into The Undertaker's minions and later found their niche as backstage beer drinking, bar brawlers (kayfabe) turning the Acolytes Protection Agency (APA) into fan favorites by 2000.

But anyway, let's see what you thought as Faarooq's 1998 babyface run in retrospect. After being fed to Rock, it seemed like the WWF had nothing for Faarooq and he would've been released in 1998 until Ed Ferrara saved him and Bradshaw from going to the unemployment line.

I know Ron Simmons is a hell of an athlete, but the only thing I remember from Faarooq from his WWE days as an in-ring performer was how bad his punches/kicks were. Look back at the Austin/Rock match from In Your House: Degeneration X. They weren't even close!

I liked Farooq in all his various incarnations: Nation, Face, Acolyte, APA. His personality and demeanor seemed better suited for a heel, but he was a solid mid-card guy who was always better in a tag team or faction. I think that Farooq was used properly and for quite a while in the way that was best suited for his skill set.

Faarooq's face run after he left the Nation but before he partnered with Bradshaw was pure Wrestlecrap...To me, it was what WCW would've done with him had Faarooq returned to WCW on his own after he left the Nation, complete with WCW-esque atrocious ruckus posing as "entrance music"...

As already mentioned, he was put with Shamrock and Blackman in a pointless feud against the Nation...He was going nowhere at a helluva pace until he partnered with Bradshaw..Much as I love Faarooq he was a garbage face and looked outta place during that short(thankfully) short run..

@Kamala316 since you sadly don't remember his WWF days much, look at this video. Youtube doesn't have most of the Nation matches I was hoping to find but this one's good.
Here's the WWF Title match between Faarooq and Taker at the 1997 KOTR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1AoAyP_yC8

This clip's of Savio on his way outta the WWF and splitting away from the Nation Of Domination during mid 97. He gets whooped on by Dlo, Faarooq and Crush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvY4aqutrH4

Good Faarooq/Rocky promo shortly after Maivia joined the Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hhs3r2Axb8

Another Nation promo talking about racism, where the Nation wants to fight both proto-DX and The Hart Foundation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCs_ZULqRjk

Simmons run after the Nation was essentially non-existent. It's not that he wasn't talented, but there was too many moving parts during the Attitude Era. If anything, he was just a bit player that filled time. I didn't really see him as a face but more of a tweener that was excommunicated from his own stable.

Sorry, Faarooq or whatever lame name WWF gave him when he arrived didn't reach his prime there. He already was a big star face in WCW as The All American Ron Simmons where he was heavily cheered and won the WCW Heavyweight Championship off of Big Van Vader. His WWF run is embarrassing compared to his glory days in WCW.

The problem was they were so entrenched in the Faarooq thing and that gimmick was inherently heel. The only way a WWF face run would have worked would have been as Ron Simmons at the time and they weren't letting him do that.

Let's face it, Ron WAS overrated at best and at worst undeserving of what he got in WCW. He was never more than an upper midcarder at best... But he was popular and benefitted from Bill Watt's decisions more than most. You can't take away the honor he received, but it's highly debateable as to whether HE should have been the one to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back