• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It's Official TNA Moves to Destination America in January of 2015!

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
- Regarding the new reports of TNA and Spike TV, word going around is that a TV deal with a new network may finally be announced this coming week.

TNA has a hold on the Manhattan Center in New York City on January 6th, January 7th and January 8th for their next set of tapings.

The planned “Best of Impact Wrestling” episodes that were set for Spike TV will reportedly be nixed as well. This Wednesday’s episode on Spike may be TNA’s last episode on that network, according to reports.

(Source: PWInsider)

So if this is true, it appears TNA is going to survive after all, which is a good thing, despite what TNA's haters think. TNA could be announcing a new network deal later this week, & has TV tapings scheduled for Jan. 6th-8th in the Manhattan Center. I'm not a huge TNA fan but I do beleive the more companies that are around where wrestlers can find work, get better, & get more exposure, is a very good thing, & I do hope these rumors are true.

--

UPDATE 11/19:

It's official:

@TNADixie: Proud to join the @Discovery family! @IMPACTWRESTLING comes to @DestAmerica in January! http://t.co/xmyk00Qcuf #DestinationIMPACT

4fb2177f1968895bb5b23812242cfa42_XL.jpg

We’ve been hearing “an announcement next week” for months now. The fans of TNA can only hope this is finally a legit report. It will interesting to see where the promotion ends up and what sort of deal is in place to help the product move forward. They have a lot of talent issues to deal with which could leave TNA with a very different look than the fans have become accustomed to over the last few months. Right now Impact Wrestling features some of the best televised action in professional wrestling. We can only hope they can afford to continue this as they move forward.

My major concerns are what could be a major flip in talent so quickly and with the cancelation of the “best of” they have no time to effectively use Spike as an advertising tool to hint at the move to another Network. Many fans (insert joke here about the use of “many fan” and TNA) may tune in next week and when there is no wrestling may never find the new channel slot.

According to Dave Meltzer, so take it for what it's worth, TNA's new home will be Destination America, which is part of the Discovery Network, which is owned by Discovery Communications. Discovery Communications also owns the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Discovery Fit & Health and various other channels.

Destination America is only available in about 52% of the country, but that's not necessarily a bad thing when you consider that the highest viewership that Destination America has ever had for any show was only 440,000. As a result, Destination America may not have hopes for massive audiences for TNA and would most likely be thrilled if TNA could deliver somewhere in the high 6 figures each week.

IF Destination America is TNA's new home, however, it might automatically knock TNA into the #3 spot in terms of the biggest wrestling companies with ROH taking its spot. ROH is syndicated, which means that there's a strong possibility of ROH ultimately having more weekly viewers than TNA would.

I'm holding out hope that TNA can work something out with Spike, although that appears very unlikely at this point. None of the rumored new networks sound good to me because they're only in a little over 50% of homes. I was hoping it could be WGN if they couldn't stay with Spike, but it appears they're out of the running too. I do get Velocity so if it comes down to two rumored Discovery networks(I haven't even heard of the other one) I hope it's Velocity. I wonder how all this will effect they're ability to resign Kurt Angle?

I hope they can somehow stay with Spike or surprise people with another network most people get.

I don't care one way or another what network they end up on. So long as TNA remains on my television week-to-week, this is a win for me as a fan, regardless of what it means for TNA as a company, or the network they do end up with.

My guess is they'd probably sign a shorter-term deal anyway in the hopes of improving the product so as to re-sell it again down the line. Hell, maybe Spike wants them back at some point in the future? Who knows? I'm no business major. Just a TNA fan who wants the product to stick around.

My biggest question/concern at this point, assuming a deal is reached, is how and when the new content airs? Because TNA have taped up to this coming Wednesdsay's IMPACT for what will air on Spike. They have no footage to work with for the remainder of the year, so does IMPACT simply go dark until 2015?

I don't care one way or another what network they end up on. So long as TNA remains on my television week-to-week, this is a win for me as a fan, regardless of what it means for TNA as a company, or the network they do end up with.

My guess is they'd probably sign a shorter-term deal anyway in the hopes of improving the product so as to re-sell it again down the line. Hell, maybe Spike wants them back at some point in the future? Who knows? I'm no business major. Just a TNA fan who wants the product to stick around.

My biggest question/concern at this point, assuming a deal is reached, is how and when the new content airs? Because TNA have taped up to this coming Wednesdsay's IMPACT for what will air on Spike. They have no footage to work with for the remainder of the year, so does IMPACT simply go dark until 2015?

Even with a new television deal in place we are looking at February 2015 for any new programming from TNA. The only scheduled events, as of now, take place mid-January with the Maximum Impact Tour overseas. There have been reports of squeezing in an additional taping during early January but they would still need time to work out any new production issues and time to advertise the new station and time slot. If the deal is indeed with Discover America it will be likely they’ll have squat to spend on talent. Wolves, Joe, Angle and others will be gone from the roster. There could also be issues with Lashley working TNA now that Spike is no longer a common factor in his contracts.

It might be a very different world for TNA but at least they live to fight another day.

Has anyone considered that tna may get a better deal then many assume from one of these lesser known networks given the audience size they bring they would go from being one show on a network everyone knows to the show on a new upcoming network spike hasnt had tna's back for awhile but this new home may i think its the best outcome possible cause it gives tna a fresh start spike can concentrate on mma which they own and this new network gets a show that averages a million viewers plus im sure the carters know what they need deal wise to keep tna a float and got the deal they needed

Even with a new television deal in place we are looking at February 2015 for any new programming from TNA. The only scheduled events, as of now, take place mid-January with the Maximum Impact Tour overseas. There have been reports of squeezing in an additional taping during early January but they would still need time to work out any new production issues and time to advertise the new station and time slot. If the deal is indeed with Discover America it will be likely they’ll have squat to spend on talent. Wolves, Joe, Angle and others will be gone from the roster. There could also be issues with Lashley working TNA now that Spike is no longer a common factor in his contracts.

It might be a very different world for TNA but at least they live to fight another day.

No doubt, and that's OK, frankly. Work within your means. Work with what you have. Just live to fight another day. That's what ultimately matters. There should be enough on the roster to still make the product palatable.

Has anyone considered that tna may get a better deal then many assume from one of these lesser known networks given the audience size they bring they would go from being one show on a network everyone knows to the show on a new upcoming network spike hasnt had tna's back for awhile but this new home may i think its the best outcome possible cause it gives tna a fresh start spike can concentrate on mma which they own and this new network gets a show that averages a million viewers plus im sure the carters know what they need deal wise to keep tna a float and got the deal they needed

This is a very good point. TNA may very well have found a new home that will overly appreciate their product. I wouldn’t say Spike gave up on TNA but it was obvious it was not a priority for the network. This move could end up being exactly what Dixie and company need. Other than the support of a new network this move might shake things up with TNA itself. We could get a renewed passion and dedication toward moving forward. Way to look at the glass as half full rather than empty. The major point, for us TNA fans, is the promotion is still here and will entertain us for the foreseeable future.

Even with a new television deal in place we are looking at February 2015 for any new programming from TNA. The only scheduled events, as of now, take place mid-January with the Maximum Impact Tour overseas. There have been reports of squeezing in an additional taping during early January but they would still need time to work out any new production issues and time to advertise the new station and time slot.
With the reports that they have the Manhattan Center held for Jan. 6-8, we won't have to wait past the seventh or eighth, depending on what night it airs, to see a new episode of Impact.

Also as recently as TNA has filmed so much TV at that venue, production issues shouldn't be a concern, switching networks should change very little about how the show is taped and presented.

And as for advertising, they were able to keep the majority of their viewership a few weeks ago, after completely switching nights with no time at all to advertise it. A certain portion of TNA's audience is loyal and will follow the movement of the product. I'd say if TNA can initially bring about 60%-70% of the viewers that they averaged for 2014 on Spike over to Destination America then I think both sides will be very satisfied with the new situation. And once on the network I suspect they will be marketed and advertised better by Destination America/Discovery than they ever were by Spike/Viacom.

If the deal is indeed with Discover America it will be likely they’ll have squat to spend on talent. Wolves, Joe, Angle and others will be gone from the roster. There could also be issues with Lashley working TNA now that Spike is no longer a common factor in his contracts.
We really don't know what they're getting in the deal, what they have to spend, or what it would take to contract some of their free agent talent. We know that 2014 necessitated a lot of budget restraint while also prevented several contract extensions simply because of the complete unknown of the company's television future. With a new deal they will have a little security and a clear understanding of their financial picture. That along with the fact that they have figured out an affordable taping strategy should set TNA up to quickly shore back up the key pieces of the roster, and even start chasing other indy talent as well.

I agree with this. It will also be intriguing to see if thee company shifts anything major like emphasis of style, what talent is pushed, visual presentation, announce team, brand new talent, etc.

I'm excited about what TNA does with this new opportunity.

Also I like Jack Hammer's point about how this can potentially muddy the waters in the conversation about what is America's true number two promotion, as ROH continues to grow and acquire more of a national presence.

Regardless of where they end up, it only matters to me if they stay on the air. Say what you will about TNA, they still have good talent that fans like myself want to see. If the rumors are true, then it has to be a win-win, right?

One thing to note, broadcast-wise, is that they did bring in Josh Matthews a while back, and all the notes indicated they intended to bring him to screen, in whatever capacity, in 2015. With Tenay's contract also up, the writing may be on the wall there.

One thing to note, broadcast-wise, is that they did bring in Josh Matthews a while back, and all the notes indicated they intended to bring him to screen, in whatever capacity, in 2015. With Tenay's contract also up, the writing may be on the wall there.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them debut on the new network with an announce team of Matthews and J.B.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Tenay show up in the Tokyo Dome to partner with J.R. at the Jan. 4 NJPW show.

If they get on Destination America, it would be a stroke of genius by Dixie. They would instantly be the focus of that network. I mean, other then BBQ Pitmasters and Deep Fried Masters, DA has repeats and throwaways from Discovery Networks. There are only so many "haunted" shows one can watch. Now, it does mean TNA will take a step back. However, it will benefit them in the future IF they find a home and broadcast every week. Hammerstein is a nice idea, but they can go cheaper. Like a certain bingo hall in Philadelphia.

Regardless of where they end up, it only matters to me if they stay on the air. Say what you will about TNA, they still have good talent that fans like myself want to see. If the rumors are true, then it has to be a win-win, right?

More like LOSE, LOSE.

This will be awful, if true. Destination America is a bottom of the barrel network and unfortunately TNA will end up like ROH and Lucha Underground being wrestling shows on irrelevant, low reaching networks.

As a TNA fan, really cannot even brag about TNA being alive with this rumored deal.

Sad day for the wrestling business in general when the second promotion can only get THIS type of awful TV deal.

TNA gained nothing from this. This, if true and I hope this is false, but this will resemble AWA being on ESPN which did not end well.

I hope TNA makes it, I really do.

To have a company go into the abyss (no pun intended) and come out the other side would be an inspirational tale.....meaning they took on the mighty WWE, figuring they could beat Vince at his own game, going with Hulk Hogan's bullshit ("We're gonna score a 3.0 rating the first night out, brother!"), get beaten down.....yet, still survive after all that would be as fine a story as has ever existed in American business.

Plus, the fact they'd still be employing people and giving folks an alternative in the field of sports entertainment.....is a positive we shouldn't take lightly.

TNA started out in '02 with an idea.....got off the track.....saw the error of their ways and found methods to get back on the beam. Wherever they wind up, I'll make sure I watch them....just because they deserve a look with everything they've been through.

Recent TNA/Network reports are indicating the new deal will feature more programming. Simple put aside from Impact it looks like we may be getting more TNA in some shape or form. However it plays out this sounds like great news.

Del Rio just cut an interview where he states he will be signing with two promotions that have television deals. He goes onto say more will become known in late January. Could this be an indicator that he will be signing with TNA? He recently worked the House of Hardcore show where there was an extremely strong TNA influence.

Recent TNA/Network reports are indicating the new deal will feature more programming. Simple put aside from Impact it looks like we may be getting more TNA in some shape or form. However it plays out this sounds like great news.

Del Rio just cut an interview where he states he will be signing with two promotions that have television deals. He goes onto say more will become known in late January. Could this be an indicator that he will be signing with TNA? He recently worked the House of Hardcore show where there was an extremely strong TNA influence.

They had tremendous interest in him following his release, so I wouldn't completely write this potential off, despite it being based on conjecture.

I'm curious where you are reading about the new deal featuring more programming though? Is this inferred between the lines, or actually reported on directly?

They had tremendous interest in him following his release, so I wouldn't completely write this potential off, despite it being based on conjecture.

I'm curious where you are reading about the new deal featuring more programming though? Is this inferred between the lines, or actually reported on directly?

It's been inferred to be the reason its taken so long for TNA to get a network deal as they've apparently been stalling themselves with Discovery rather than signing right away.

More like LOSE, LOSE.

This will be awful, if true. Destination America is a bottom of the barrel network and unfortunately TNA will end up like ROH and Lucha Underground being wrestling shows on irrelevant, low reaching networks.

As a TNA fan, really cannot even brag about TNA being alive with this rumored deal.

Sad day for the wrestling business in general when the second promotion can only get THIS type of awful TV deal.

TNA gained nothing from this. This, if true and I hope this is false, but this will resemble AWA being on ESPN which did not end well.

While I agree that Destination America isn't a big time cable network, I have to disagree with your argument in regards to ROH. Sinclair does mainly show syndicated programs, ROH included. But the show is still on the air, which I think has to do with Jim Cornette being gone. Now from what I see ROH isn't seen in every major market, including places like LA. It could be that it a regional following. But the company itself seems to be doing alright. With TNA, folks keep saying they're on their last legs without a TV deal. So whatever they can grab onto to keep them going should be a good thing.

The real losers is SPIKE TV I mean how many times a day can you show COPS, Bad Ink, and Bar Rescue before people start to say screw you guys I'm switching the channel.

The real losers is SPIKE TV I mean how many times a day can you show COPS, Bad Ink, and Bar Rescue before people start to say screw you guys I'm switching the channel.

Actually, Bellator Championship just did 2 million viewers for Spike TV last week.

They should be fine, they have a new brand that will help them grow.

An absolute shitload.

All of those shows cost very little to produce, making the cost per viewer to the television producers, and hence on up the chain to the television stations purchasing that program, much lower. Programming like professional wrestling costs much more money than programming that can be filmed with equipment unloaded from a single UHaul van, and thus it costs more to purchase.

Professional wrestling's role in television today is to draw in as many viewers to watch the cheaply made programming shown at other times. TNA didn't bring in enough viewers in its tentpole role, and now they're pivoting to Bellator. Even though Bellator is the TNA of MMA, they're still pulling in twice the viewers that TNA is. Spike TV (and remember- Negotiations Are Still Ongoing, Expect Big News Soon) is dropping TNA because the slightly less than one million viewers they bring in once per week isn't enough to justify the cost of purchasing TNA programming, and TNA can't produce TNA programming at a cost which Spike would be interested in buying it at.

What the future holds for Spike TV is anyone's guess, in a cable landscape that's changing rapidly as people slowly realize that cable television is useless except for live sports now. Cable networks are getting fewer viewers and hence trying to pay less for individual stations; television stations are getting trimmed down as people realize there's not much need for stuff like 24/7 gaming channels in the internet age (G4 will close later this month); television stations that aren't being rebranded or eliminated are facing budget pressure, and that budget pressure comes down on the television producers- which is all a long winded way of saying that bringing in one million viewers once a week is no longer enough for a live-action scripted television show on basic cable.

It's official:

@TNADixie: Proud to join the @Discovery family! @IMPACTWRESTLING comes to @DestAmerica in January! http://t.co/xmyk00Qcuf #DestinationIMPACT

4fb2177f1968895bb5b23812242cfa42_XL.jpg

--

As I've said before, as a TNA fan, I'm just happy as a pig in shit that TNA is sticking around!

Please Destination America, bring TNA to how it used to be in 2008. It was the best product around for sure. I'm glad TNA's future is still on going. Now to search to see if I have the damn channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back