• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is The Rock Getting Stale?

THEpapachamp

YOUR POST IS GONNA GET GOT!!!
When The Rock returned everyone in the arena and probably in your living jumped up in excitement.

FINALLY.. THE ROCK HAD COME BACK TO THE WWE!!

But since his return, we've seen the Promo's, we've seen the same 3 catch-phases we all heard him say 7 years ago when The Rock retired from a WWE.

Week after week (if we're lucky) of this will bore WWE fans sooner then later. & The Rock means sooner then later!

So my questions is..

Is The Rock's character stale?
If so, How would you update it?
If he's perfect, explain why?

I didn't mark out when he returned. I was simply happy since the Rock was ONLY billed as a host and not as a wrestler or someone who was gonna feud with someone. When I found out he was gonna start shit with Cena I lost all interest. I didn't even wanna see him back in the WWE. To me his acting career is way better than his wrestling career. Entertainment wise hes still solid even in movies.

As for being repetative, yes, he's gotten stale. Its a PG show (PG doesn't make wrestling good) so the Rock can't be as funny or random as he use to be. He was getting boring with the same comebacks and whatnot.

1. Yes, the Rock is stale. I'm sure he's still not good in the ring and his mic work is stale.
2. Update it? I wouldn't have the Rock return, period.
3. Not perfect at all although he is still somewhat entertaining but not as much as back in the day.
I'm not a hater since I did like him and still do in movies but now he just needs to go.

I didn't mark out when he returned. I was simply happy since the Rock was ONLY billed as a host and not as a wrestler or someone who was gonna feud with someone. When I found out he was gonna start shit with Cena I lost all interest. I didn't even wanna see him back in the WWE. To me his acting career is way better than his wrestling career. Entertainment wise hes still solid even in movies.

As for being repetative, yes, he's gotten stale. Its a PG show (PG doesn't make wrestling good) so the Rock can't be as funny or random as he use to be. He was getting boring with the same comebacks and whatnot.

1. Yes, the Rock is stale. I'm sure he's still not good in the ring and his mic work is stale.
3. Not perfect at all although he is still somewhat entertaining but not as much as back in the day.
I'm not a hater since I did like him and still do in movies but now he just needs to go.

I agree with everything except for not wanting to see him fight cena. I dont think his character has gotten stale it just needs to be revamped. The guy is a moneymaker no matter what anyone of us thinks. It seems as hes lost some of his swagger. Im a rock fan for life so for me its not stale. For others i Can see your point

I agree he is stale, and it's quite disheartening as I'm a huge fan. I think he just needs to target other superstars who would be funnier to mock and downgrade, to be fair the fruity pebbles stuff isn't that funny, people just use it because they don't like Cena.

In ring he can easily gain back ability though, I'm pretty sure it's like riding a bike, he's been absent from the ring for 7 years for christ sake. The Monday that he came back and owned Miz he clearly had ring rust, but last night at Wrestlemania I could see glimpses of his old in-ring self coming back.

I'm glad he's come back though because as I said, I'm a huge fan.

YES he's getting stale....ALREADY!! The backstage vignettes at WM 27 with him PISSED me off! With the exception of the interaction between he and Stone Cold, they were ALL stupid and pointless! As you said, nothing really new in the catchphrase department either. Same old tired shit that was getting stale way back when. It's just a matter of time before he runs back to Hollywood and tells the WWE fans to fuck off AGAIN anyway so there's no point in updating his character anyway. I think he's become complacent with his gimmick and status and is collecting a huge payday for this current little run. The only positive is he brings back the "Attitude Era" and gives a little edge to this pussy ass PG shit.

My god I hope you're joking about The Rock in movies... can you honestly name one movie that you thought was good with the Rock in? Scorpion King? lol.. Tooth Fairy? lol.... Race to witch mountain? lmfao....

OT: Yes, sad to say I feel his character has got stale... his new stuff about TEAM BRING IT and I BRING IT and that one Wrestlemania i decided to Bring it is really starting to annoy me now - much like Anderson's Asshole gimmick as they both overuse it.

lol you people are hilarious. Oh he's stale, he shouldn't have returned, he needs to go etc. Good Lord not too long ago you all were "marking" out or whatever you all call it. That's the thing about internet wrestling fans. How quickly they forget and how quickly they turn.

He's the Rock. He does his catch phrases it's what he's always done and will always do. All his promos have been great and if he's getting repetitive just remember it takes one night and suddenly all of you will be like OMG he's back.

The Rock is overrated.

Wait, don't bash me. He is overrated for the new generation that started watching wrestling 2002/2003. They didn't watch The Rock when he was actually there, so if you go online and go to Youtube, DailyMotion, etc., looking for Rock matches and Rock promos you will find out that The Rock himself might have been the greatest wrestler ever. He wasn't. But he wasn't that far from it at his prime.

He is not getting stale. I get your point, he says the same catchphrases every week, talks about the same stuff and does the same jokes every time he is on screen, that's true. But that's the way The Rock as a character is. The man is supposed to be that guy that has 5/6 catchphrases and "the people" will learn them and say it with him.

Until today I haven't seen nobody that can out perform The Rock in that situation. The Miz is trying with "Really?" and "I'm The Miz and... I'm Awesome", but until he gets near that level you wont buy him as good as The Rock.

I didn't watch The Rock at his prime. I didn't watch Wrestling in 1999/2000/2001. I didn't even know Wrestling existed (well not Wrestling, per say, but WWF), so for me, looking him up on Youtube he just seems perfect. People wont upload videos of The Rock cutting a bad promo or wrestling a bad match. Just like SCSA, he benefites from it. "The people" will always look at him and expect him at his best, and I'm sure he is not at his best or at least not at the same level people expected him to be.

lol you people are hilarious. Oh he's stale, he shouldn't have returned, he needs to go etc. Good Lord not too long ago you all were "marking" out or whatever you all call it. That's the thing about internet wrestling fans. How quickly they forget and how quickly they turn.

He's the Rock. He does his catch phrases it's what he's always done and will always do. All his promos have been great and if he's getting repetitive just remember it takes one night and suddenly all of you will be like OMG he's back.

I am telling you, if I wouldn't look like an idiot I would stand at my computer and applaud this post..HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! I agree with every single word.

To add to it, the bottom line is the IWC will NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER (pun intended ;) ) be happy! If the WWE did EXACTLY everything they said one day, the next they would totally crap on it and talk about how stupid it is. I mean it is a never ending cycle. There are times that it makes me not want to even read boards...I mean it is pathetic.

Facts are facts and when we can't be happy that we have one or two of the all time LEGENDS back on our TV for a while without disecting what they do and talking about how "stale" they are then maybe we should find a new hobby!

I have enjoyed every minute of having The Rock, and Stone Cold also, around for the last little while. They made wrestling amazing when I was younger and I find myself acting like a kid again for the things they do. Who cares if I have seen some of it before. It isn't meant to be ground breaking, it is meant to be nostalgic. Now, if you will excuse me I think I will head over to WWE.com and buy The Rock's latest T-Shirt...

You guys really make me laugh sometimes with Hot Garbage like this. Months ago everyone was clamoring for The Rock to come back. Now that he has people are crapping on the guy and I just don't understand it.

I was one of the Millions and Millions sitting in the Georgia Dome last night at WM 27 loving everything he did from his opening promo to calling Mae Young a Divasouraus,his run in with Stone Cold,and a Rock Bottom to John Cena.

So either watch it and enjoy it or don't watch it. But just shut up already.

No, not all of us "marked out" so you sound stupid to say EVERYONE was going crazy for him when he returned when he didn't. What movies of his were good? Lets see we got The Rundown, Walking Tall, Faster, Gridiron Gang, Race to Witch Mountain, and his small roll in get smart wasn't horrible. You named all his "bad" movies so nice try with that one. I hope you don't think Cena is a better actor. I find it funny how this is coming from a guy with jeff hardy as his signature. Now that guy sucks xD Bottom line though is the Rock is OVERRATED D:

Don't get me wrong i'm happy the Rock's back and i hope he stays... I love all his catch phrases i just HATE this Team Bring it BS...

The Rock isn't stale, it's just that all of the IWC that's been clamoring for a return of "The Great One", has been hoping he'd come back, pick right up where he left off, change the TV Rating of WWE back to TV-MA and they'd get their precious "attitude era" back.

Guys, that's not going to happen. So now you're disappointed. The thing you've wanted more than anything else in the world has been given to you and it's not as shiny as you remember it. Memories are always skewed towards the best of times, not the reality of times. You remember his highlights and ground breaking moments, but not the times in between when he was just average. Not the Rock's fault, it's the fickle IWC. "Well hell, they gave us what we wanted, now we don't want it".

I guaran-damn-tee you, if and when they turn Cena heel, the IWC will love the WWE for this move for about 5 minutes. Then it will be "Stale", "bland" "too PG" or whatever other nonsense you want to throw out there when you don't get what you thought you wanted. Meh.

You guys really make me laugh sometimes with Hot Garbage like this. Months ago everyone was clamoring for The Rock to come back. Now that he has people are crapping on the guy and I just don't understand it.

I was one of the Millions and Millions sitting in the Georgia Dome last night at WM 27 loving everything he did from his opening promo to calling Mae Young a Divasouraus,his run in with Stone Cold,and a Rock Bottom to John Cena.

So either watch it and enjoy it or don't watch it. But just shut up already.

Finally someone who makes sense. All anyone does is complain. Oh bring the Rock back. Then they say he's saying the same stuff he did before he left. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it and for the sake of everything that is holy don't think you always have to fix something. Just enjoy the ride.

LMAO once again the itiotic IWC strikes again. You know what, dumb posters like you need to just stop watching wrestling for good because if the Rock is getting stale then how in the hell can you keep watching WWE when every other superstar is getting staler then 4year old bread. The Rock came in and gave us a breath of fresh air after 7 years of the same shit, but it didn't take long for you idiots to find something to complain about huh. Just do yourself a favor and stop watching WWE for good because they will never win with you idiots. You dumb fucks will find every little thing to complain about.

The Rock believe it or not is the same Rock we had in 2003-2004. Is it bland? Maybe. I believe it was head over heels more exciting than what I have watched over the past 3-4 years minus the hbk taker matches. In terms of promos its way up there. The man came back. Hes leaving. He did what he had to do. Boost ppv buys. Im just glad i got my rocky shot again before i died.

As to the war going on about jeff hardy. While i cannot ever consider thehardys wrestlers i certainly dont take away their entertainment aspect. Matt a lot less than jeff. I am a fan of charlie sheens silliness and jeff while being in a different profession still makes me lol. I dont condone him going and spinning in the air or piledriving someone drugged up still.

Yes. Plain and simple. I mean, the first night he came back was great. Every other promo has just seemed too forced and bland. It also seems like he HAS to cuss just to get his point across.

The 'PG' product doesn't produce bad 'wrestling', but it might very well provide bad 'entertainment'. But for the love of God, if anyone is pining for the days of the Attitude Era, you're an idiot. I can understand why people liked the AE, with all the cussing, crazy storylines, and 'puppies', but come on, that stuff was stupid as all get out.

I enjoyed Rock's first promo, but I never wanted him back. I always said he was a sellout for leaving for his 'movie career', but that's his choice. It really does irk me though, when he says he loves the WWE fans, because that's simply untrue. He just loves the paycheck. Most of us would, though. I can't blame him for getting stale, I just blame all the people desperately wanting 'TV-14' back, because they're the ones who are egging him on. But it's all about crowd reaction, so more power to him. When he does the 'Millions and millions' phrase, it's amazing to hear the crowd react.

My god I hope you're joking about The Rock in movies... can you honestly name one movie that you thought was good with the Rock in? Scorpion King? lol.. Tooth Fairy? lol.... Race to witch mountain? lmfao....

His latest film Faster was actually pretty good.

Is The Rock's character stale?

Unfortunately yes, however if he gets back in the ring and his verbal fueds actually turn into a match then I will be happy.

If so, How would you update it?

I just hope that he can fued with different people and actually come up with some better one liners, scripted or not, they need to be better.
Let him continue to push the boundaries of PG, let him be himself 100% without the resrictions being place on him. Get him in the ring wrestling again.

If he's perfect, explain why?

Not perfect but still entertaining.

What I would say is that if The Rock was not at mania or on Raw in the past few weeks then it would have been a whole lot worse. The Rock, Stone Cold, Trish, Taker and HHH (even booker) were the only reasons why Mania was any good at all. Without these legends WWE would have been in serious trouble, just look at the Cena/Miz match.

"Finally The Rock has come back" and "If ya smell" are The Rocks signature catchphrases. They are done for the live crowd to interact. If you were there in the audience you would be clambering for him to say it.

Yes, week after week it can become a little stale when viewed on TV, but hes made like 4/5 appearences and people already whining!? Are people suggesting he needs a heel turn already?! Nobody cuts a heel promo like The Rock, I will admit but too early for that!

The thing with The Rock, he has done alot of talking. He hasnt done ANY in-ring interaction with other superstars yet apart from The Miz which was brief. Rock spoke, Cena came out, Cena spoke and Rock listened. Rock just needs to have a few face to face promos now. Tonight is hopefully the night. I hope he rips Cena a new one because believe me, if they took the shackles off and let them go at it he would.

Look ive been watching wrestling from hogan to rock to now. I can see where both sides are coming from. I think im leaning more on his character though. I mean, really???? If anyone thought the 20 mins he wasted at the begining of wrestlemania was any good than explain? Maybe if I w2as live it would have been different. But on t.v it was plain terrible. And they edited out all the cuss words too. That shit he can do with the cameras off. He was being a cheerleader. Its stale you have to agree that if he is going to stick around he is going to have to change with the times. THE ATTITUDE ERA IS NO MORE. STFU about the attitude era. Its gone and its never coming back. Never. Now back to the rock. Ive seen raws better than this. Hell bob barker was a better host than the rock was. Hell last years wrestlemania was way better

Its just funny most people bitched for years about how the rock owed it to the fans to come back etc. And now that he shockingly comes back and now people are saying this laughable shit. If rock is stale hell triple h undertaker the viper and supercena. Triple h and taker had there same phrases and gimmicks just as long if not longer. So to single out rock is absurd. He doesn't need the money so be greatful he even showed up these few months. He's alot more entertaining than this current bullshit.

^I agree with this guy. A.E. was overrated but it did give us good moments. I also agree with being live and seeing it on T.V. are two different things. Even a Raw and S.D. are better to see in person then on T.V. Its better just on the energy and in person hype alone. I'm sorry but this W.M. was just bad. A couple of decent matches and everything else was just boring.

Meh opinion is opinion... Thing is DBD will NEVER be as popular with the mainstream crowd as Jeff Hardy was when he was building up for his WWE title win... of course DBD is better in the ring though...

OT again, Rock doesn't really need a character change as I don't expect him to be staying around much longer then again he does have a "Huge Announcement" for tonight...

You people complaining are just too funny. Like i said before just stop watching wrestling for good because your idiots will just complain about everything they do. They can never win with yall

Honestly I don't think Rocky is getting stale, Sure the catchphrases are the same but these are catchphrases that I myself and others who grew up with the Attitude era came to know and love, I remember myself as a kid repeating every catchphrase the Rock threw out and i'm pretty sure I wasnt the only one, People just need to let the man do his thing he is a legend in WWE and that will never change. I also think this is giving CENA a chance to refresh his character in some ways, standing up against one of the biggest legends in the business in a heel type manner is a good way to rebuild yourself... Creative is at a fork in the road right now, this rivalry with Rock n Cena, They can make it or break it we as the fans will just have to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back