• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has the Rock's recent return exposed his shortcomings as a talker?

as someone else said, he is currently in a different role. what made the rock and austin great on the mic is how they talked about beating someone's ass. but right now, the rock is not wrestling. if he was, he would be completely destroying any other wrestler on the mic. but right now, there is not much for him to say. his promo's have been great, but there is no substanance because... what will back it up.

and as for cena owning him. keep dreaming 12 year olds. cena got to talk then rock wanted to fight. then the rock talks and cena acts like the rock doesnt want to fight. idk, cena just seems like a bitch every time, and the rock is 10 folds better than him on the mic.

and as for cena owning him. keep dreaming 12 year olds.

12 year olds? hmm I'm pretty sure there were more than 12 year olds believed Cena owned him. Why don't you go back and watch the promo, pretty sure Cena's response to Rocky was pretty damn good.

cena got to talk then rock wanted to fight. then the rock talks and cena acts like the rock doesnt want to fight.

What has Cena been trying to do for the last 7 years? Get the back, so they can have a match. He's been pushing for it, if anyone's been avoiding it, it's been Rocky. Plus the fact that if you watch the last time they were face to face, Cena was the one who was willing to throw down. So I don't really see your point here, because its non existent.

idk, cena just seems like a bitch every time, and the rock is 10 folds betterthan him on the mic.

A bitch? How? Not one time has Cena appeared to be a bitch, he's been pushing for Rocky to lace'em up for a long time. And Rock is not ten times better than Cena. Rock and Cena are in a league of their own when it comes to cutting promo's. Rock may slightly be above then the Cena, but by no means is Rock that much better than Cena on the mic. I believe many on here would agree with that.

OMG if someone says his catchphrases are repetitve one more time! Lol that's an oxymoron wth? Again catchphrases are meant to be repetitive that's why they're called that.:lmao:

The Rock's mic's skill is STILL after 7 years better than EVERY single wwe wrestler. Obviously this is my own personal opinion, but it's crazy how I just watched Smackdown and fast forward through the WHOLE thing except for Rock's and Cena's promo from Raw. Even in that I skipped when Cena was talking. Boring.

I don't know what it is, but a lot of these wrestlers are really slacking on the mic, maybe because they don't have catchphrases? Idk. When The Rock talks it's captivating, he's a shit talker, he makes jokes, and just entertains you. I will admit there is some rust, but I don't even think it's rust I think it's a combination of two things..

First thing like I mentioned in another thread, he's not really arrogant anymore. Maybe because he hasn't fought idk, but there was a time where he was much more brash, didn't give a fuck and was unbelievably arrogant and had so much swag. Now it's like he's semi arrogant but more positive and uplifting with the whole "Team Bring It" schtick and telling Cena he respected him. :shrug:

Another thing is like most people said is just the time period. The Rock's character worked more for the Attitude Era. That intensity, arrogance, etc worked. Like I said before no one doesn't really do backstage promos or interviews anymore.. When you used to watch Raw and Smackdown you could almost guarantee an interview backstage, or interaction with the wrestlers or a brawl. Without that, The Rock or maybe any wrestler that matter can't get into a groove. The type of character that The Rock is he needs promos.

I just hope from now until WM28 we get more appearances from The Rock to not only build up the hype for next year's match,, but to get his character settled in properly. That means more promos (his character feeds off promos) and obviously a few matches.

Lol, sometimes I wonder how threads can get made man, seriously, has The Rock's return exposed his shortcomings as a talker? Uh in what possible way could you be talking about? He has the entire crowd eating out of his hand he has no reason to do anything any differently than he's been doing it. He had an entire WM crowd stand up and mimic not just his catchphrase but all of his mannerisms as well.

Hell, I'm a Stone Cold guy myself(also I think Rock's pop would be smaller if he were around as much as Stone Cold is), but you can't deny what The Rock's gotten done these past few months. I don't see how anyone can say that what he has done since he returned would "expose his shortcomings as a talker". I mean unless you count being the most over guy in the company as getting exposed.

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Rock's mic skill weren't exposed I don't know how anyone could really say they were. If you mean by the way the crowd reacted to his WrestleMania28 announcement and how he looked a lil' uncomfortable are you surprised?

He had to play the promo for what it was, and not allow the fans to take over, because 99% thought they're was a distinct possability The Rock would return for say SummerSlam but how can you have a Generation VS Generation match @ Summer Slam?
You can't so the Rock had build as much hype up while Cena had to kick the dog while it's sleeping (which he did perfectly) built up to the Rock accepting the match... but a year from now... NO CROWD would of popped for that..

End of the day being the best promoist has nothing to do with who writes their own material it boils down to who can get the fans gripped for that x amout of minutes and The Rock does it better than John Cena.. either way Rock will pass the torch to Cena @ Mania (ie job)

He, nor Cena have changed a damn bit. It's been 8 years since his last major WWE role. I have a sister who was born 7 years ago. Now I forgot what it was to be a single child. Is it that hard to believe we forgot how The Rock worked constantly and simply filtered all the best memories and made mind that was all he did? How is he a one-trick pony? because he relies on catchphrases and making fun of his opponent? Isn't that what 85% of all promo's in pro wrestling are composed of? This is the era of the bitchy and whinny men. I really don't find it surprising that The Rock comes back and people find something about him to piss and moan about and generally just blow out of proportion.

12 year olds? hmm I'm pretty sure there were more than 12 year olds believed Cena owned him. Why don't you go back and watch the promo, pretty sure Cena's response to Rocky was pretty damn good.

What has Cena been trying to do for the last 7 years? Get the back, so they can have a match. He's been pushing for it, if anyone's been avoiding it, it's been Rocky. Plus the fact that if you watch the last time they were face to face, Cena was the one who was willing to throw down. So I don't really see your point here, because its non existent.

A bitch? How? Not one time has Cena appeared to be a bitch, he's been pushing for Rocky to lace'em up for a long time. And Rock is not ten times better than Cena. Rock and Cena are in a league of their own when it comes to cutting promo's. Rock may slightly be above then the Cena, but by no means is Rock that much better than Cena on the mic. I believe many on here would agree with that.

:lol::lmao::lmao:

haha. only a cena fan. only a cena fan.

i just said that rock called out cena.

rock called him out, cena pretty much just said im rubber your glue, and somehow that owned the rock. :lmao: he didnt get anything over on the rock, all he said was you cant insult me. then the rock challenged him, cena aa'd him behind the rock's back. then on raw this past week, the rock talked, and cena acted like the rock didnt want to wrestle, after the rock rock bottomed him at mania. how isnt that ******ed?

cena doesnt get anything over on the rock on any promo. he just bitches that the rock shouldnt make fun of his shirts. and your right, all the 12 year olds on this forum will agree with you. cena isnt close to the rock in mic skills. i respect cena for what he has done, and i dont hate the guy, but when his fans try to make him out to even be in the same league as the rock, i just find it funny.

rock called him out, cena pretty much just said im rubber your glue, and somehow that owned the rock. :lmao: he didnt get anything over on the rock, all he said was you cant insult me. then the rock challenged him, cena aa'd him behind the rock's back. then on raw this past week, the rock talked, and cena acted like the rock didnt want to wrestle, after the rock rock bottomed him at mania. how isnt that ******ed?

Because the Rock never hinted at a match before last Monday's Raw. And Cena gave him a verbal beatdown 2 weeks ago when he said exactly what was wrong with the Rock's rather lame insults.

cena doesnt get anything over on the rock on any promo. he just bitches that the rock shouldnt make fun of his shirts. and your right, all the 12 year olds on this forum will agree with you. cena isnt close to the rock in mic skills. i respect cena for what he has done, and i dont hate the guy, but when his fans try to make him out to even be in the same league as the rock, i just find it funny.

12 year olds? I'm 19, explain that one. And um, Cena is in the same league as the Rock. He gets the biggest reaction on the roster, and has for quite some time now. I can give you a hundred other reasons, but I figure you'd be smart enough to realise why Cena is so great, or are you one of those blind smarks that think it's still cool to boo Cena? Also, what was the Rock's best pay-out? Fruity pebble? Homeless power ranger? I mean, really, his insults sound more childish than John Cena's in my opinion. Unlike the Rock, Cena doesn't have to use a 100 catchphrases to gain an extremely loud reaction from the audience.

I think that what a lot of people must take into account is the fact that Rock has cut most of his promos against John Cena ever since he has come back. John Cena is the face of the company. There is no way in which WWE is going to make John Cena look inferior to Rock in any aspect. John Cena has been booked as an equal and that is going to make a huge difference to John Cena's career.

The Rock's promos have always been heavy on catchphrases rather than actual content. That is what has made him one of the hottest properties in the business. It seems like he has lost a step because in reality he is putting John Cena over. He is giving John Cena a hell lot of time to speak. The Rock of 2000 and 2001 would not have let Cena utter a single word but The Rock of 2011 isn't gonna do that because he has nothing to gain from doing that.

That is why a lot of people cite 2000 as Rock's peak in terms of promo cutting. Actually it was Rock's peak in all aspects. He was the face of the company and was owning people both in the ring and on the mic.

Because the Rock never hinted at a match before last Monday's Raw. And Cena gave him a verbal beatdown 2 weeks ago when he said exactly what was wrong with the Rock's rather lame insults.

12 year olds? I'm 19, explain that one. And um, Cena is in the same league as the Rock. He gets the biggest reaction on the roster, and has for quite some time now. I can give you a hundred other reasons, but I figure you'd be smart enough to realise why Cena is so great, or are you one of those blind smarks that think it's still cool to boo Cena? Also, what was the Rock's best pay-out? Fruity pebble? Homeless power ranger? I mean, really, his insults sound more childish than John Cena's in my opinion. Unlike the Rock, Cena doesn't have to use a 100 catchphrases to gain an extremely loud reaction from the audience.

These are the suitable insults for this shitty PG era which is under the lead of john cena. The funny thing is, since rock call him that name, it's been going on every time cena step in the ring, that just shows you how great the rock is on the mic. Another thing, the "fruity pebble" chant is really getting under cena's skin, I mean, did you see his face during the WM press confrence? he almost almost cried :lmao:

The funny thing is, everytime he sings one of those "100 catchphrases" your talking about, the crowd sing along with him. Atleast rock don't need to shout to get some attention. And by the way, he use those phrases to entertain the fans, after all, that's what the business is all about, entertainment.

For me, the reason Rocks promos havent seemed that great come down to 4 things.
1. Ring rust/ mic rust. It takes a great deal of skill to come up with comments off the cuff the way that he does. He hasn't done it on a regular basis for 7 years so of course he is a bit rusty at it.
2. The fans perception. Rock was in WWE for 7 or 8 years? He was giving on air promos on every show, sometimes 2,3,4 times a show. Was every one of them gold? No, but the one's that stand out in our minds were.
3. The PG rating. Although WWE seems to have given The Rock a license to push the boundaries slightly, obviously he cant come out with some of the things he was saying during the attitude era which limits him slightly.
4.The people he is up against on the mic. Back when he was a mainstay in WWE, he was working with people he had known for a long time, and he knew how far he could go without actually causing genuine offence. Now, he is up against Cena and Miz, obviously he is not as close to these guys as he was to Austin, Jericho, HHH etc, so may feel that by pushing things as much as he used to would cause genuine offence to them.

He relies on catchphrases now a days more because he doesn't have that much freedom he had during the Attitude Era to speak any kind of words. Their are boundaries inside which he has to do a promo, so obviously they can't be as good as past. Remove the boundaries and see he will deliever better promo's than before because He is That damn good.

Considering Rock spent the last eight years reading from a script, I don't see how anyone can blame "mic rust."

Jack Hammer hit the nail on the head when he said that many people fantasize what the Attitude Era was really like. With the Rock, he is the exact same ramblin' mic worker he was 10 years ago. For the wrestling fans that watched him ten years ago, they can predict exactly what he is going to say.

For the wrestling fans who didn't watch, and quite frankly make up most of the crowds these days, they don't care for catchphrases. You name who you think is the best mic worker(s) in the company right now and tell me how many of them have more than two catchphrases. For me, Barrett is the best worker. So.. His catchphrases have been "You're either Nexus or you're against us." and... I don't know. Something about power, but he always catched it up a little bit. Or take Cena's big catchphrase these days in "Never give up!", but he doesn't go around shouting it; his actions and fans do it for him.

The Rock will always be remembered as the greatest man on the mic in WWE history. That being said since his return he has looked nothing like the most electrifying man in sports entertainment that captivated every audience he came before from the late 90's to 2003.

Alot of things have changed for The Rock since then, for instance Rock isnt in the same shape he was in back when he was on top. Just watch a Rock entrance from 2000 and analyse it, then watch an entrance from the past few weeks and do the same. If you pay attention you will see that his time out of the ring and the gym has done damage as he is freakin gassed by the time he gets to the ring! He does not have the energy he once had and until he gets back to taking his conditioning not only will he look bad coming out to address the people but there's no way he will perform well in a match! In order to become the talker he once was first he needs to get back to what he was and that is an imposing physical specimen.

The lacking of Rock's speaking is not all his fault though; when he was at his highest point and he was the speaking sensation of the WWE there were far less boundaries and regulations on what he could say. This is a major hit to the vocal arsenal of The People's Champ, however I do believe that he can get back to his greatness.

Rocky is always at home in the ring, and that will never change. However he is susceptible to ring rust just like anyone else, and ring rust not only applies to actual wrestling but the speech as well. Rock hasnt ranted in years and it has effected his insults and quite frankly it has effected his presence.

I believe if Rock gets serious back in the gym and we give him some more time to get back in his groove we will begin to see The People's Champ of old come back to life!

These are the suitable insults for this shitty PG era which is under the lead of john cena. The funny thing is, since rock call him that name, it's been going on every time cena step in the ring, that just shows you how great the rock is on the mic. Another thing, the "fruity pebble" chant is really getting under cena's skin, I mean, did you see his face during the WM press confrence? he almost almost cried :lmao:

Oh God, not another PG hating thread. Seriously, get over it, it isn't going to change, so there's really no use complaining about it. And I didn't see the press conference, but I'm assuming it was an act, since they are mostly in character during those things. The difference between their promos recently, is that the Rock has had to rely on coming up with catchphrases to describe Cena's dress sense, music taste, etc. On the other hand, Cena has pointed out exactly what he thinks of the Rock, without coming up 500 billion different names for Rocky.

The funny thing is, everytime he sings one of those "100 catchphrases" your talking about, the crowd sing along with him. Atleast rock don't need to shout to get some attention. And by the way, he use those phrases to entertain the fans, after all, that's what the business is all about, entertainment.

I never, ever, ever said the Rock isn't entertaining, he's one of my all time favourites. Well John Cena entertains the fans as well then, both in the ring and on the mic, that's why he's been the poster boy of the company for, I don't know, 6 years to be exact. You still haven't told me how the Rock's promo's are better than Cena's, just because the crowd chants it doesn't mean it's a better promo.

haha. only a cena fan. only a cena fan.

Yeah, and your point? Just because I'm a Cena fan doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively.

rock called him out, cena pretty much just said im rubber your glue, and somehow that owned the rock. :lmao: he didnt get anything over on the rock, all he said was you cant insult me.

Did you not pay attention to Cena's response the week after The Rock returned? Cena took everything The Rock throw at him and turned it back on at him. It was The Rock who turned around and whined about it. Saying that how dare Cena respond with rap.

then the rock challenged him, cena aa'd him behind the rock's back. then on raw this past week, the rock talked, and cena acted like the rock didnt want to wrestle, after the rock rock bottomed him at mania. how isnt that ******ed?

When did The Rock challenge Cena before this past monday night? He hadn't. When The Rock came back all sides did not show that he was going to wrestle. It only came up this past week. If you're going to say that Cena was cheap when he came from behind. (I don't know what you were getting at, but I'll assume that's what it was. Because that's how it came across.) The Rock did the same thing.

]cena doesnt get anything over on the rock on any promo. he just bitches that the rock shouldnt make fun of his shirts. and your right, all the 12 year olds on this forum will agree with you.

:lmao: Yes, the little purple pin wheel joke was for the kiddies, just as his joke about The Rock polishing his balls. :lmao: That's such a kid joke. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of respected posters on here that aren't 12 year olds that will disagree with you.

cena isnt close to the rock in mic skills. i respect cena for what he has done, and i dont hate the guy, but when his fans try to make him out to even be in the same league as the rock, i just find it funny.

Yes, because 100 catchphrases shows he's in another league. I love the Rock, but his catchphrases have been the majority of his promo's. I love his catchphrases, but that imo is the only difference between himself and Cena. Cena always has substance. He doesn't use the catchphrases. If you pay attention, every time Cena speaks the crowd listens. Just as they do with the Rock. Remember when Rock came out and called Cena out? Everyone was going along booing Cena and as soon as he started talking and pointing out how he was proud of who he was, they shut up.

These are the suitable insults for this shitty PG era which is under the lead of john cena.

Actually that would be Vince, but whatever.

The funny thing is, since rock call him that name, it's been going on every time cena step in the ring, that just shows you how great the rock is on the mic. Another thing, the "fruity pebble" chant is really getting under cena's skin, I mean, did you see his face during the WM press confrence? he almost almost cried :lmao:

Yes, it caught on and it was funny. And no, it's not getting under Cena's skin. He's gone into buildings where the whole place was full of smarks that told that were chanting he sucked. If you watch the press conference it wasn't the fruity pebbles that were getting to him. It was the fact that the room full of idiots were chanting "Fuck you Cena" and being completely disrespectful to him. Not one other star there got that. It even got to the point where Trips was about to say something because it was ridiculous.

Yeah, but The Rock felt he needed those 100 catchphrases to get attention when he came back. Like Rusty said, just because they chant it doesn't mean it's a great promo. I'm entertained by them, yes, but I'm also entertained by Cena's promo's. One's that have substance to them, instead of say three words insert catchphrase, over and over again. If Cena doesn't entertain the fans then how is that he's the main selling point? He's the one that brings the fans. Whenever WWE doesn't focus on Cena ratings and attendance show it.

Actually that would be Vince, but whatever.

Yes, it caught on and it was funny. And no, it's not getting under Cena's skin. He's gone into buildings where the whole place was full of smarks that told that were chanting he sucked. If you watch the press conference it wasn't the fruity pebbles that were getting to him. It was the fact that the room full of idiots were chanting "Fuck you Cena" and being completely disrespectful to him. Not one other star there got that. It even got to the point where Trips was about to say something because it was ridiculous.

Yeah, but The Rock felt he needed those 100 catchphrases to get attention when he came back. Like Rusty said, just because they chant it doesn't mean it's a great promo. I'm entertained by them, yes, but I'm also entertained by Cena's promo's. One's that have substance to them, instead of say three words insert catchphrase, over and over again. If Cena doesn't entertain the fans then how is that he's the main selling point? He's the one that brings the fans. Whenever WWE doesn't focus on Cena ratings and attendance show it.

I don't blame them..:lmao: If he was as good as the rock on the mic as you claim he is, he would've brought their attention the moment he started his speech...

And why you keep complaining about his phrases? As I said, he use those phrases because the fans want to hear them, unlike cena with his corny jokes. Oh..What about cena with his rap thing or whatever? He's been doing the same lines over and over. For example: "Go ahead and blow me" "You can suck my ****" and all that gay crap... You know what, this ain't even a fair comparison. Since you and your little buddy over here REALLY believe cena is better than rock on the mic I'll make a poll to determine whos better :rolleyes:

it is hard to compare actually...

remember during the Attitude Era, the WWE Superstars are allowed to be themselves.. they are not restricted by rules so anything goes.. that was the Mantra of the Monday Night Wars.. that is where Stone Cold Steve Austin was born, by being himself.. that is where Shawn Michaels had troubles, by being himself WAY TOO MUCH.. and that is where The Rock became the best promo guy, be it funny or serious.. even HHH had his moments during this era..

Now, it is the PG-Era and this is actually recognized by the WWE Superstars of today.. since it is PG, THEY ARE RESTRICTED IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.. so this impairs their ability to showcase WHO THEY REALLY are..

I can feel that the Rock is quite hesitant at times to go all the way... in actuality, John Cena has the advantage here since he is the child of the PG Era..

It is really hard to compare, but since I am an attitude era guy (who was really into the WCW Nitro vs. Raw is War/Monday Night Raw days), I'd go with The Rock!

I don't blame them..:lmao: If he was as good as the rock on the mic as you claim he is, he would've brought their attention the moment he started his speech...

Yes, mindless hating is so great. When you have idiots that are throwing things at you when you walk in the building, there's a slim possibility that you're actually going to change their mind. Because they're simply that, idiots who are not fans, but stupid smarks.

And why you keep complaining about his phrases?

First off, when he's promo's consist of nothing but catchphrases there is a problem. When he's just simply trying to fit one in there's a problem, because the promo loses substance.

As I said, he use those phrases because the fans want to hear them, unlike cena with his corny jokes.Oh..What about cena with his rap thing or whatever? He's been doing the same lines over and over. For example: "Go ahead and blow me" "You can suck my ****" and all that gay crap...

:lmao: So let me get this straight. You're saying that It's okay for Rock to use his catchphrases, because as you said, "He uses those phrases because the fans want to hear them . . ." Last time I checked Cena used his catchphrases because the fans wanted to hear them. If I'm not mistaken it was the fans that would finish his lines. I.e. the you can suck my dick, or I just don't give a shit. Just like they'd sing along with Rock. So that argument is ridiculous.

Also, you can't tell me half of the Rock's catchphrases aren't corny. On top of that, last time I checked it was Rock talking about shoving things up peoples ass, not Cena. :rolleyes:

You know what, this ain't even a fair comparison. Since you and your little buddy over here REALLY believe cena is better than rock on the mic I'll make a poll to determine whos better :rolleyes:

Why not? Because you're so overly bias against Cena. I've already responded to it.

Yes, mindless hating is so great. When you have idiots that are throwing things at you when you walk in the building, there's a slim possibility that you're actually going to change their mind. Because they're simply that, idiots who are not fans, but stupid smarks.

First off, when he's promo's consist of nothing but catchphrases there is a problem. When he's just simply trying to fit one in there's a problem, because the promo loses substance.

:lmao: So let me get this straight. You're saying that It's okay for Rock to use his catchphrases, because as you said, "He uses those phrases because the fans want to hear them . . ." Last time I checked Cena used his catchphrases because the fans wanted to hear them. If I'm not mistaken it was the fans that would finish his lines. I.e. the you can suck my dick, or I just don't give a shit. Just like they'd sing along with Rock. So that argument is ridiculous.

Also, you can't tell me half of the Rock's catchphrases aren't corny. On top of that, last time I checked it was Rock talking about shoving things up peoples ass, not Cena. :rolleyes:

Why not? Because you're so overly bias against Cena. I've already responded to it.

No I'm not. I know he's a hard worker and all that, but comparing him based on their recent promos is simply stupid. You talked about how limited cena is(I didn't see that in his 1st response to the rock -Freestyle-), but the fact is rock is even more limited in his recent promos, especially the ones with cena since the wwe won't allow anyone to bury their biggest star today. This case right here remind me of 10yrs ago, when rock and austin used to go against each other, no matter what happen you don't see rock go all out on austin(On the mic), why? because he was the top guy just like cena is today. And I even said it since cena's 1st response, that there is NO WAY the wwe will make them go at face to face live, cause that will hurt cena's image as the top guy, and that something the wwe would't allow to happen. Check my posts if you want to.

You see, the main point of this whole fued is to make cena look better, to put him over, to pass him the torch, and all that stuff, so I see no reason for rock to do otherwise.

Oh, and regarding "Rock's promos have no contents whatsoever"...............:lmao::lmao::lmao:................NO COMMENT

im just amazed how some of these nerds online can even question the rocks mic skillz it is actually MIND BOTTLING .. cena or anybody in wrestling history cant go toe to toe with the rock on the mic.. the rock has SHIT ON CENA,HOGAN,STONE COLD, UNDERTAKER,BIG SHOW,JERICHO,HHH, KANE, THE HURRICANE, VINCE, STEPH, SHANE, MANKIND, COLE, BOOKET T, GOLDBERG, RIKISHI, THE COACH, NWO, RIC FLAIR, ANGLE,BENOIT.. When u can find a wrestler who can cut promos and make fun of all these wrestlers heel or face let me know..

when u can find a wrestlers debut as entertaining as chris jerichos promo with the rock let me know, when u can find a promo as funny as the rock and sock connnection "this is your life rock" let me know, or a wrestler that makes fun of your city and the crowd still eats it up let me know, when u can find a wrestler who can save on of the most boring wrestlemania EVER let me know..

What do you know about the peoples camera, or the peoples champ singing during a match, or calling his own match..

Do you think the Rock's promo's rely too much on catchphrases raher than actual substance?
Definitely, even though Rock's promos are entertaining, I feel that he uses his catchphrases too much and they're starting to get annoying. His return promo was pretty good because he didn't use much catchphrases, but now he is REALLY annoying. He talks about Cena being immature and using rap, but the irony in that is he keeps using his stupid 50 catchphrases.

I like Rock, but not his catchphrases. He better stop using them before he loses a fan (me).

I think Rocky's promos are doing just what they are supposed to do, keep people talking about them to keep the rock/cena fued living for this time when we wont see rock in the WWE. People are in here arguing about Rock and Cena, so as far as I'm concerned, The Rock's promos have been great seeing how people are talking. It makes you realize that The Rock is always gonna be a huge topic, regardless of if people think his mic skills are the same, stale, worse or whatever. He's still relevant, he's still The Rock, and after 7 years, an entire new generation of watcher's still remember his lines. They still get the same reactions.

To answer the topic, The Rock hasn't shown any short-comings as a talker or "mic worker" as I call it.

We've watched many superstars try to come up with catch phrases, signature moves and gestures over the years and they are lucky to have one or two catch on. The Rock is able to do this effortlessly. He is gifted in being able to control the crowd.

The problem with Rocky is that I think nobody wants to invest in him emotionally. He might stick around, he might not. He promised us he'd never leave again, then he phones it in via satellite. Nobody expects him to be here often. He's like a super hot chick that just wants to be friends, but teases you constantly.

Cena on the other hand is great at crowd control. But he's no Rocky. Not by a long shot. Cena is great on the fly and off the cuff. Better than most. But not on The Rock's level. Cena is a great PR tool and cheerleader, he's able to turn around most bad situations, like all the audible booing.

Cena's promos are soaring and fleeting and he comes off as canned, like he's running for an election. He's like a politician trying to get your vote. Cena deserves his spot at the top, he's just getting stale. This feud with Rocky proves that Cena is a legit flagship that can go with the best of them.

It was refreshing to see Cena go all "thuganomics", but then he quickly ruined it with cheesy props and silliness and that stupid grin where he knows he's done something dumb. Pearl necklace...??

What really saved this feud is The Miz. He's stolen the show over and over. He's quickly becoming my favorite WWE star. Still a touch green now and then but over all killing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back