• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has the Rock's recent return exposed his shortcomings as a talker?

Wrestling fans are stupid. Seriously, every WWE show, or even wrestling show I've been to, have been littered with white trash. My girlfriend, who's borderline blue blood, thinks The Rock is silly.

Dumb people like to follow along with things they know. The Rock's promos are like a pop song. No content, but a lot of stuff you can sing along to. It works, and it's smart for Rock to do that.

Personally, I think Rock's promos suck from an artistic standpoint and have for a long time. It's basically catchphrase, insult the interviewer, catchphrase, homo joke, silly metaphor, catcphrase, get serious for a second and talk about whoopin candy ass, if ya smell.

It works, so it's good. To me, their last promo before mania perfectly summed up Cena/Rock. Cena was calling Rock out on him not caring and saying that Rock can't judge Cena because rock doesn't have the same passion, Rock responds with.....god can't save your candy ass from the ass whoopin the rocks about to give it? He sounded like someone with dementia, not even coherent with the conversation.

BTW, Dwayne Johnson doesn't make better movies than John Cena, the studios Dwayne Johnson works for makes better movies than WWE studios. The Rock is a laughably bad actor.

The op being only 17 is clearly a cena fan who is burned up about his loss due to the great ones interference. The op should know his damn role, and SHUT HIS DAMN MOUTH!

I kid. I digress however, i am not trying to discredit you but you grew up in a diff era. If you are 17 then you were 10 when the rock left in 2004. Which means you probably saw little to nothing of his greatest matches and PROMOS when you were 4 years old.

You would have to have been there week in and week out to fully appreciate his mic skills. Has he changed or lost a beat? Yeah. I heard a couple stammers. Yeah catchphrases were used a lot. But what did you want him to do? Roast the whole locker room for the sake if diff material each week? Burn every superstar?

Your boy john cena has the same M.O. as well. Its as stupid as anti cena fans bitching about 5 moves of doom. EVERY WRESTLER HAS 5 MOVES OF DOOM. EVERY WRESTLER USES CATCHPHRASES AND SING ALONGS TO GET OVER WITH THE LIVECROWD. They babble about who theyre feuding with. Throw out a "i never back down from a fight." Or a "check your monkey ass into the smackdown hotel." All the way to a " the champ is...(crowd and cena)HERE!" and a "and the millions(crowd and rock after them)and millions!"

Yes you may have an issue with rockys promos but they werent for you young man. They were for the older folk. They were for the LIVE crowd. Cena is a gr-eat worker and i defend him but i have been a fan of the rock since late 1996. Guess whose side i was on for this year and at 28? And before you get all huffy i support many non attitude era stars including cena. Im just throwing my opinion at the op.
See what I mean. Rock fans, wrestling fans, and dumb people of all ages, LOVE to sing a long. Look at this guy using Rock's catchphrases.

Saying that rock is boring on the mic is like saying kurt angle can't wrestle. Now, regarding rock's promos post-return, did you actully think that the wwe would allow him just walk in, bury thier biggest star that they've been trying to build for 7yrs, and then take a leave? No. And I don't think he lost a step or anything, you see, this whole cena-rock fued is to put cena over, to pass him the torch, to mold him up, to make him look better than he really is, that's why rock didn't lay the smackdown verbally on cena. As far as the hyper rock(2001-this day) vs calm rock(1999-2000), I'll take calm rock anyday of the week, cause just like some poster said he respects NO ONE, he made fun of the undertaker and his 33lbs head, he made fun about triple h and his-aaaah 20 minutes-aaaaah boring segments-aaaaaah, not to mention he and mick foley did the highest rating promo(this is your life) on raw history.

ahhh those damn cena fans ......If you didn't witness him in his prime don't talk outta your ass.
Considering Angle has been having the same "epic" match for 10 years now and no longer has a legit finisher and needs to go through 10 ankle lock falsies to get the crowd to pop for one of them, I'd say yea, Angle isn't really all that good at wrestling. he doesn't sell long term, doesn't tell a story anymore either. Maybe you should get out of nostalgia Mr. WMX7, it's a new time. Oh, and BTW thanks for "singing along" with rock again to further prove my point that Rock fans, wrestling fans, and dumb people of all ages love to sing along and don't really care about substance.

Like I always say, individual opinions don't matter, it's the majority. The majority (which are either dumb white trash hicks or dumb 5 year olds) eat up what The Rock AND John Cena say.

Here's what's been going on.
Moves mark/Attitude era fan "cena is corny"
Cena fan "Rock is repetitive"

Hmmm, maybe they BOTH have their shortcomings and it's a matter of perspective. We'll never agree on who's better becasue both sides are stubborn. HOWEVER, the Cena fans on here seem to at least be smart enough to acknowledge that Rock is pretty damn good. Rock fans will never admit Cena is any good until it's cool to do so.

I have never been a big fan of rocks promo style. He might have great presence, but thats about it imo. His toilet humour was never funny to me, although some his catchphrases were decent. His second promo since his comeback via satelite was a woeful rambling mess, that just went on and on, it just came off as a guy acting too hard.

Cena on the other hand has a real genuine quality to his promos, thats why he came off so good in the face to face. Rock is style over substance, and over does it, although from memory he wasnt always that bad, he just got carried away as he got more popular.

Hmmm, maybe they BOTH have their shortcomings and it's a matter of perspective. We'll never agree on who's better becasue both sides are stubborn. HOWEVER, the Cena fans on here seem to at least be smart enough to acknowledge that Rock is pretty damn good. Rock fans will never admit Cena is any good until it's cool to do so.

I completely, whole-heartedly agree with this statement. I still don't get why people haven't gotten over the Attitude Era and accepted the fact that it's over for good. I have, I may not have wanted to, but I had to. Sure, the Rock is a phenomenal talent, but John Cena owned him on the mic. Times have changed, as shown by the lack of catchphrases used by modern day superstars of 2011. Sure, they are used, but nowhere as much as they were 10 years ago.

Personally, I can relate a lot more to John Cena, who actually acts like a regular human being on the mic, compared to the Rock, who rarely ever breaks character when shown on WWE television. During the Stone Cold/Rock feud where Rocky was meant to be the face, Austin was cheered over Rock because of the simple fact that people could relate to Austin more than what they could to a character who was almost inhumane.

The Rock is the greatest talker/mic worker of all time and really doesn't have any short comings. Shit on him for his catchphrases all you want but that is what the people want to hear. The goal for wrestlers on the mic is to get the crowd to either lover or hate you (depending on your status as a face or heel), keep them interested and entertained throughout your entire time talking, and to get your point across to continue whatever feud or angle you are working on. The Rock has always and is continuing to do that flawlessly. Cena is a great talker in his own right but he can't even touch Rocky in that department. The Rock is more then capable of cutting great promos without really using catchphrases but it's what the fans want and last time I checked wrestling was about the fans.

Wrestling fans are stupid. Seriously, every WWE show, or even wrestling show I've been to, have been littered with white trash. My girlfriend, who's borderline blue blood, thinks The Rock is silly.

Dumb people like to follow along with things they know. The Rock's promos are like a pop song. No content, but a lot of stuff you can sing along to. It works, and it's smart for Rock to do that.

Personally, I think Rock's promos suck from an artistic standpoint and have for a long time. It's basically catchphrase, insult the interviewer, catchphrase, homo joke, silly metaphor, catcphrase, get serious for a second and talk about whoopin candy ass, if ya smell.

It works, so it's good. To me, their last promo before mania perfectly summed up Cena/Rock. Cena was calling Rock out on him not caring and saying that Rock can't judge Cena because rock doesn't have the same passion, Rock responds with.....god can't save your candy ass from the ass whoopin the rocks about to give it? He sounded like someone with dementia, not even coherent with the conversation.

BTW, Dwayne Johnson doesn't make better movies than John Cena, the studios Dwayne Johnson works for makes better movies than WWE studios. The Rock is a laughably bad actor.

See what I mean. Rock fans, wrestling fans, and dumb people of all ages, LOVE to sing a long. Look at this guy using Rock's catchphrases.

Considering Angle has been having the same "epic" match for 10 years now and no longer has a legit finisher and needs to go through 10 ankle lock falsies to get the crowd to pop for one of them, I'd say yea, Angle isn't really all that good at wrestling. he doesn't sell long term, doesn't tell a story anymore either. Maybe you should get out of nostalgia Mr. WMX7, it's a new time. Oh, and BTW thanks for "singing along" with rock again to further prove my point that Rock fans, wrestling fans, and dumb people of all ages love to sing along and don't really care about substance.

Like I always say, individual opinions don't matter, it's the majority. The majority (which are either dumb white trash hicks or dumb 5 year olds) eat up what The Rock AND John Cena say.

Here's what's been going on.
Moves mark/Attitude era fan "cena is corny"
Cena fan "Rock is repetitive"

...And considering the fact that this is the biggest BS I've ever heared, I won't even respond to it. LMAO at the mr.WMX7 joke..:lmao::lmao: at least this was the greatest WM ever, and also the end of the greatest era in wrestling history, and I guess I don't need to say anything about the build up for the main event(Rock-Austin). And you're telling me to move on? I'll move on when I see a great era led by a superstar who actully know how to wrestle... Oh and the fact that people sings along with rock everytime he sing one of his so called "45 catchphrases" proves just how great he is on the mic, to say the least wether you're a fan or not rock will get your attention when he's on the mic, you can't say the same for cena with his corny ass jokes, and as far as your opinion on rock's promos go....You can wipe a monkey's ass with your opinion, because actully it doesn't matter what you think, cause there are millions upon millions of fans who will disagree with the crappy post. So know your role, and Shut your mouth!!

"We'll never agree on who's better becasue both sides are stubborn. HOWEVER, the Cena fans on here seem to at least be smart enough to acknowledge that Rock is pretty damn good. Rock fans will never admit Cena is any good until it's cool to do so"

We don't agree?! The only people who don't agree are those stupid, 11yrs old, Who opened their eyes on wrestling during cena's reign at the top , cena fans. Austin, King, Triple H, Jericho, Michael Cole, all of these guys agree that rock is the greatest ever on the mic. Cena isn't even on the top 10 all-time great when it comes to promos and segments. Hell I don't even think he's the best on the mic today.

We don't agree?! The only people who don't agree are those stupid, 11yrs old, Who opened their eyes on wrestling during cena's reign at the top , cena fans. Austin, King, Triple H, Jericho, Michael Cole, all of these guys agree that rock is the greatest ever on the mic. Cena isn't even on the top 10 all-time great when it comes to promos and segments. Hell I don't even think he's the best on the mic today.

What are you talking about? I'm a Cena fan, and I started watching in 95. I've been through Rock, and Cena. I've said that Rock and Cena are in the same league, but I don't believe Cena is better on the mic, because I know Rock is. How the hell is he not in the top ten? Who is? I really want to know who you think is the best today.

I suppose I will use this thread to give my take on why Rock is catching so much heat.

First of all, Rock is (along with Steve Austin and Bobby Heenan) the greatest talker the business has ever had. With that being said, in my view, you have two groups of people, with two different takes on how Rock did during his return.

1. Cena/PG-era marks. These people will stop at nothing in their quest to convince themselves and anyone listening that Cena is on the same level as (or greater than) The Rock, and that the PG-era is on the same level as (or greater than) the Attitude Era.

I won't bullshit and say I enjoy todays WWE as much as I did the WWF in the late 90's. Also, I won't put up a front here, and say I think Cena is a great mic worker. I think he's decent, good amount of emotion, but he's cheesy. I don't care for his delivery, never have. I realize he's playing to his audience, and it's no surprise that audience doesn't include me.

I think Rock is better. Period. I think his delivery is always spot-on, he's as intense a mic worker as they come, and until he left pro wrestling, the crowd was always on his side (when they were supposed to be). Drew amazing applause as a face, and top-notch heat as a heel. Cena just doesn't appeal to the entire crowd. You can sugarcoat the issue all you like, but it's true.

2. Attitude Era Loyalists. I suppose I fall into this category, but I'm also realistic. It wasn't all it's cracked up to be, but I found it far more entertaining than I do todays product. Personal preference, nothing more.

These people, a lot of them, hate John Cena. They absolutely despise the guy. Nothing he does will ever be good enough. I'm not a fan, but I don't hate him either.

Among fans, it's really a battle of generations. That's what it is. Cena won this round! No, ROCK won this round! People had their minds made up going into each and every one of those promos, and that's the truth. I didn't care. I just wanted to see it happen.

One more thing -- this shit about Rock relying on catchphrases is ridiculous. Absolute stupidity. If you knew anything about The Rock, the wrestler from the late 90's/early 2000's, you wouldn't be singing that same tune. He's throwing out these catchphrases, A. Because he's told to, and B. Because they work. Cena doesn't use them, as much, because his haven't had anywhere near the impact of those The Rock uses.

Rock hasn't lost a step, he's working in a different era. He's working off nostalgia, and that's what works in this situation, and the people in control understand this, even if some of you smarks do not. Also, Cena is coming off as well as he ever has, so I don't see the problem here. It's a pointless debate, seeing no one is going to change their mind either way.

His promos aren't really worse than it was.The fans just set the bar too high and they built The Rock up to be God-like.That's what happens with fans who are so caught up with the Attitude-era hype.So it's not Rock's fault but the fans' faults for thinking that he would blow the roof off the arena every Monday.

I think his promos are terrific.The point of the promo is to get the fans pumped up and he does that to perfection.As for his catchphrases,well,if it ain't broke,don't fix it.The problem is that a large number of the fans are so adamant that the current superstars have such shitty promos and they expect The Rock to tear all of them new assholes.Turns out that hey,the current superstars are actually pretty damn good at doing promos,so it makes The Rock look less amazing.

I agree with you completely. I just think people put too much hype that now some of them feel disappointed. I think that The Rock's promos were awesome but they did not meet the quality of his older stuff. I also think that is because of the fact that he was gone for 7 years and the fact that there is a lot more limitations on what he can say and not say.

Cena has had great promos in the PG era, how over do you think a PG Rock would get? O yea, Rocky Maivia? REAL entertaining there wasn't he.

you take the restrictions from Cena and he's amazing, you put restrictions on Cena and he makes you think, he's not all catchphrase catchphrase catchphrase. Take restrictions off the Rock and he's awesome, you put restrictions on the Rock and he's no different than one of those "push my button to hear my say 1 of 10 catcphrases" toys.

Well you know, 11 year olds and also Bryan Alvarez. He writes for Meltzer's observer newsletter. You know, he knows enough about the insides of wrestling that he gets paid to write for the most reputable smarky magazine in the world. But yea, what a fuckin moron. He should just discredit the fact that the media raped WWE after benoit and so they need to be PG, the fact that if you were to take out cusswords and force the attitude Era to be PG you'd have a shitty fuckin show. You're an idiot. I don't care if that's flaming. You really are. You have no concept of deep thought. You just kinda have your head up your ass with this 'ATTITUDE ERA' shit. kurt angle isn't that good of a wrestling in 2011. Most insiders will agree. He's nowhere near how good he was in 2001.

Cena has had great promos in the PG era, how over do you think a PG Rock would get? O yea, Rocky Maivia? REAL entertaining there wasn't he.

you are what i call a GOOBER :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Name me 5 great promo cena has had ????? n i think someone deleted my post from earlier... cena isnt in the top 10 for promos in the wwe...

cm punk, wade barrent, michael cole, vicky, edge, randy orton, christian, del rio, sheamus all cut better promos than cena, I DIDNT EVEN PUT THE ROCK ON THE LIST CAUSE HE IS THE KING OF KINGS WHEN IT COMES TO PROMOS !!!!!!

You're a typical ignorant rock fan. You have no ability for complex though. Just "SUCK DICK LOL". you sound like white trash.

Cena said "you never show up, you don't love this business, I do" and Rock says "I'll whoop your candy ass". Which is basically how any dumb douchebag responds to someone calling him out.

basically how you responded to his post.

YOU find me one Rock promo with substance. No stroodle jokes, no homo jokes, no catchphrases. Find me something with substance and an actual point beyond whoop your purple monkey ass.
The Rock is like a clown. he juggles, he makes animal balloons, he makes silly noises, rides a unicycle, you clap and are impressed. but he does the same shit every time. he might thow in a few "funny" lines (that dumb people laugh about and follow like sheep "fruity pebbles" and sing along to like the latest repetitive Beiber song). But he basically does the same tricks that you follow along with.

Find me ONE rock promo with some substance or an actual point.

MICK FOLEY is the greatest promo of all time because his promos had a point, had catchphrases, and had substance. cena isn't the greatest of all time; but at least his promos have substance.

What's your highest level of education BTW? I have a theory I'm testing and I need to start by asking that.

You're a typical ignorant rock fan. You have no ability for complex though. Just "SUCK DICK LOL". you sound like white trash.

Cena said "you never show up, you don't love this business, I do" and Rock says "I'll whoop your candy ass". Which is basically how any dumb douchebag responds to someone calling him out.

basically how you responded to his post.

YOU find me one Rock promo with substance. No stroodle jokes, no homo jokes, no catchphrases. Find me something with substance and an actual point beyond whoop your purple monkey ass.
The Rock is like a clown. he juggles, he makes animal balloons, he makes silly noises, rides a unicycle, you clap and are impressed. but he does the same shit every time. he might thow in a few "funny" lines (that dumb people laugh about and follow like sheep "fruity pebbles" and sing along to like the latest repetitive Beiber song). But he basically does the same tricks that you follow along with.

Find me ONE rock promo with some substance or an actual point.

MICK FOLEY is the greatest promo of all time because his promos had a point, had catchphrases, and had substance. cena isn't the greatest of all time; but at least his promos have substance.

What's your highest level of education BTW? I have a theory I'm testing and I need to start by asking that.

You are a str8 up GOOBER... if i take a poll right now 99.9% would say what is this guy smoking .. mick foley greatest promo guy hahah how old are you when did u start watching wrestling.. do u know what a promo is? GO youtube rock promos i aint posting nothing for you, the rock has way to many promos that have substance .. Cena needs the rock remember that, the rock doesnt need cena.. and name me 5 promos from cena that were woow this guy is good, you cant!!!!

GO CHECK OUT THE ROCKS PROMO WHEN HE RETURNED BACK I BELIEVE 2001 OR 2002 AFTER STONE COLD TOOK HIS BALL AND LEFT THE COMPANY CAUSE HE DIDNT WANT TO JOB TO BROCK .. GO CHECK OUT THAT PROMO.. BUT U DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT CAUSE YOU WERE TO BUSY ALL EXCITED ABOUT CENA AND CARLITOS FEUD ON SMACKDOWN HAHA

all his promos vs Rock, a TON of his rap battles.

You spell stuff with letters like str8. You are a tool.

I've seen Rock promos, I was there too, I'm just not a mark. Rock gets people to sing a long, and that's great, but his promos have no substance. If Rock has so many, show me some. Name ONE Rock promo that has substance to it.

You lol @ Foley being the greatest promo of all time? Youtube his "Cane Dewey" promo or his "barbie" promo about Orton. THOSE have promo. Plugging in your catchphrases, adding strudle jokes, and taking part of the other guys character and make fun of it might get over in front of dumb rednecks, but it doesn't impress me. Yea, Rocks' one of the greatest of all time because he was incredibly over. Personally, I don't think his promos are artistic at all. Like I said, rock's promos are like a pop song, fun to sing a long with, but no substance. How long have you been watching wrestling? 1998? 1999?

Rock's promo about Austin taking his ball and going home? Then Rock proceeded to leave? yea, great promo there.

I'm not denying the Rock is entertaining, I'm just saying, his promos have no substance and don't interest me. He's exactly what I say he is, he's a pop song. You love to sing a long, once in a while he makes them personal but most of the time they're interchangeable.

EDIT:
Think of it this way. There are two types of Cena fans. The kids, who like him because he's the ultimate good guy; and guys like me, people who appreciate his work.

There is one type of Rock fan, the teenager (or uneducated hick who's brain never developed past age 15 which happens REALLY often, most Americans are like this).

So, you are a Rock fan. You spell straight "str8" you use Rock's catchphrases IN YOUR POSTS. You don't seem to understand what "substance" is. So, let me ask you again, what's your highest level of education?

all his promos vs Rock, a TON of his rap battles.

You spell stuff with letters like str8. You are a tool.

I've seen Rock promos, I was there too, I'm just not a mark. Rock gets people to sing a long, and that's great, but his promos have no substance. If Rock has so many, show me some. Name ONE Rock promo that has substance to it.

You lol @ Foley being the greatest promo of all time? Youtube his "Cane Dewey" promo or his "barbie" promo about Orton. THOSE have promo. Plugging in your catchphrases, adding strudle jokes, and taking part of the other guys character and make fun of it might get over in front of dumb rednecks, but it doesn't impress me. Yea, Rocks' one of the greatest of all time because he was incredibly over. Personally, I don't think his promos are artistic at all. Like I said, rock's promos are like a pop song, fun to sing a long with, but no substance. How long have you been watching wrestling? 1998? 1999?

MICK FOLEY REALLY, like him pulling out his hair and going "MOMMY MOMMY"
the rock only gets the crowd to sing with him 1. when he says "do you smelll what the rock is cooking" or when he says the " the millions" those are his catchphrases so what, what about stone cold "thats the bottom line" or cena " you cant see me " or booket t -"5 time, 5time,5time,5time,5time wcw champion" or DX " suck it" or undertaker "REST IN PEACE" catchphrases.. go youtube the rocks promo when he came back after Austin left the company and people say the rock doesnt care about the business!! he came back while he was making a movie for the wwe, its not his fault he can act and cena cant.. i said it before and im gonna say it again THE SMART ONES LEAVE ON TOP ( the rock, brock, jesse ventura, JBL) and make way more money after leaving n work less, doesnt mean they dont love the business just makes them smarter.. go youtube the rocks promos when he was a heel with the NOD, go youtube any of the rocks promos before 1999 if you dont like his singing crap, still better promos than anyone doing promos NOW...

IM not saying Mick Foley is bad either but hes not the greatest... let me guess your british hahaha and you defend cena and you think ur batman ummm why am i explaining myself to you.. go watch LEGENDARY

lol rock CAN'T ACT. It's a fucking joke in hollywood. When I watch Rock movies with my non wrestling fans, it's a JOKE to them how bad he is. Holy shit man, I'll put this in terms your uneducated ass can understand "get The Rock's dick out of your ass."

Rock DOESN'T care about the business, he cares about money. He didn't grow up wanting to be a wrestler. He tried HARD for football, but that failed, so he went to the family business, had a massive amount of natural ability, got huge, became a movie star. Pro wrestling is the ONLY PLACE where he isn't a fucking joke. Watch E!, watch TMZ or whatever it is, he's a JOKE.

You obviously don't know a damn thing about wrestling or it's history. You were probably one of the attitude era babies where the cool and trendy thing was wrestling so you got hooked. I was watching long before that and have since studied wrestling from all over the world. I've set foot in a ring and taken bumps. I've listen to actual wrestlers, guys like harley race, terry funk, vader, etc talk about wrestling.

Yes, guys have catchphrases, BUT most of them blend it with SUBSTANCE. For example, Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania 8, used a TON of catchphrases, but he also talked about how he would go over and have some food made by Mrs. hart (insulting her food while doing so). This made it personal. WAAAAY more personal than ANY generic bashing would. Rock is great, but he's a pop song.

Rock doesn't make it personal except for on few occasions. Rock is basically. "FINALLY...." then later on "shut your damn mouth, get your monkey ass out of here" (to the interviewer) "joke about the superstar, "does Kane wanna buy the Undertaker chocolates, does Undertaker wanna tickle Kane's big red nipple?" which is again, an actual Rock line, but something that pretty much only teens or people who's brain never developed past that think is funny. Then he acts serious for a bit, then IF YA SMELL. NO FUCKING SUBSTANCE.

Foley tore the hair out of his head because he was demented. He had calm, piano music playing after he won matches because he thought the contrast was cool when he saw silence of the lambs. His promos evoked TRUE emotion, not sing a long bullshit.

I don't need to youtube Rock videos, I've seen them all, I've been watching wrestling since before you. I've watched Rikidozan vs Lou Thesz (do you even know who Rikidozan is?), I can tell you why Harley Race vs Jerry Lawler Memphis 1979 is an all time great match, I can tell you why Cena is over and pushed and I can tell you why the Rock is great.

That's the difference between us. You're too stupid and think in too much of an egocentric manner to think outside the box. I don't mean stupid as an insult, I mean it as an abjective no different than "your hair is brown".

One more time, what's your highest level of education? You come across, just like all the other rock fans, as a very narrow minded, uneducated person. Kinda wanna see if I'm right.

Pretty sure Rocky came back to accentuate Cena and give him the rub, not that he necessarily needed it but the business and perhaps the fans did.
I don't think you can really compare scripts and say one is more or less substantial, because you're playing with different decks of cards.
Rock is an entertainer, Cena is an entertainer. It plays to their strengths and covers their five moves of doom. Who's better? Who's worse? It's doesn't matter because one is there to help the other one. That's what they're doing, helping each other.
What does the Rock get? Well, he gets to nostalgia or a paycheck.
What does Cena get? A well deserved rub and chance to showcase against The Great One.
What does the business get? Potential profits.
What do fans get? Dream match at Wrestlemania.
Everyone wins.

Good job Lucid. You are a smart person. You get both sides. You can think beyond your own personal wants and opinions.

I'll add that this is also going to give Cena credibility (he doesn't really need it, everyone knows he works hard). It puts over this whole generation. I think Rock should admit in a nonkayfabe interview that working in the PG era is harder than working in the tude era.

lol rock CAN'T ACT. It's a fucking joke in hollywood. When I watch Rock movies with my non wrestling fans, it's a JOKE to them how bad he is. Holy shit man, I'll put this in terms your uneducated ass can understand "get The Rock's dick out of your ass."

Rock DOESN'T care about the business, he cares about money. He didn't grow up wanting to be a wrestler. He tried HARD for football, but that failed, so he went to the family business, had a massive amount of natural ability, got huge, became a movie star. Pro wrestling is the ONLY PLACE where he isn't a fucking joke. Watch E!, watch TMZ or whatever it is, he's a JOKE.

You obviously don't know a damn thing about wrestling or it's history. You were probably one of the attitude era babies where the cool and trendy thing was wrestling so you got hooked. I was watching long before that and have since studied wrestling from all over the world. I've set foot in a ring and taken bumps. I've listen to actual wrestlers, guys like harley race, terry funk, vader, etc talk about wrestling.

Yes, guys have catchphrases, BUT most of them blend it with SUBSTANCE. For example, Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania 8, used a TON of catchphrases, but he also talked about how he would go over and have some food made by Mrs. hart (insulting her food while doing so). This made it personal. WAAAAY more personal than ANY generic bashing would. Rock is great, but he's a pop song.

Rock doesn't make it personal except for on few occasions. Rock is basically. "FINALLY...." then later on "shut your damn mouth, get your monkey ass out of here" (to the interviewer) "joke about the superstar, "does Kane wanna buy the Undertaker chocolates, does Undertaker wanna tickle Kane's big red nipple?" which is again, an actual Rock line, but something that pretty much only teens or people who's brain never developed past that think is funny. Then he acts serious for a bit, then IF YA SMELL. NO FUCKING SUBSTANCE.

Foley tore the hair out of his head because he was demented. He had calm, piano music playing after he won matches because he thought the contrast was cool when he saw silence of the lambs. His promos evoked TRUE emotion, not sing a long bullshit.

I don't need to youtube Rock videos, I've seen them all, I've been watching wrestling since before you. I've watched Rikidozan vs Lou Thesz (do you even know who Rikidozan is?), I can tell you why Harley Race vs Jerry Lawler Memphis 1979 is an all time great match, I can tell you why Cena is over and pushed and I can tell you why the Rock is great.

That's the difference between us. You're too stupid and think in too much of an egocentric manner to think outside the box. I don't mean stupid as an insult, I mean it as an abjective no different than "your hair is brown".

One more time, what's your highest level of education? You come across, just like all the other rock fans, as a very narrow minded, uneducated person. Kinda wanna see if I'm right.

Once again you prove you are A GOOBER!!! i dont know what you call it when your in movies but its called acting, and you must be doing something good if your in 2 to 3 movies a year and not LOW BUDGET WWE MOVIES actually HOLLYWOOD A-LIST MOVIES,how do u know the rock doesnt care about the business??? for that statement you are just a FUCKIN GOOBER HATER. N its all about the MONEY but your just a stupid HEARTBROKEN FAN cause the rock left and you got sad cause he wasnt there every week, like those other losers who work 300 days a year cause they cant do anything else with there life and there addicted to pain killers and DIE at a young AGE :lmao: Its like saying EDGE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE BUSINESS CAUSE HE HAS A BROKEN NECK AND HES LEAVING US HES GREEDY, AUSTIN STAYED YEARS AFTER I GUESS HOGAN WAS RIGHT RIGHT !!!!!!! Ive bin watching wrestling since wrestlemania 6 i dont care about the wrestling part of it who gives a fuck about rikidozan vs Lou thesz or king from the 70's wrestling very exciting wooooow :wtf:, i care about undertaker locking the warriors ass in a casket, i like Austin kidnapping vince, i like the rock entertaining like no other, i like NWO you know the golden age to attitude.i like the entertainment part and VINCE KNOWS THAT, thats why he aims his company around people like me, and people like you need to stay on youtube and watch brian daniels, while people like me like to see the stars they grow up move on and be successful in different areas and not just 1 TRICK PONYS.. GO watch the MOVIE THE WRESTLER randy the ram is better at promos than the rock i guess. and dont worry about my education u probably sipping tea in england or whatever hell hole ur from!!!!

Rock is in movies, but so is Keanu Reeves. NOBODY would call Keanu Reeves a good actor.

I know the rock doesn't LOVE wrestling because he never wanted to be one. Because he slaved away in the canadian football league. Because after a few short years he left. It's NOT the same thing as Edge. Edge didn't come back because it would KILL him.

I'm not from England, I live in springfield, MO. Lots of hicks. I agree, Vince DOES know the entertainment value. However, you MUST also know the BUSINESS side of it. Cena has to be PG. He must be because otherwise Vince will get dragged through the mud again by the media.

Let me ask you this, how entertaining would the attitude era be without cussing, blood, and titties? That's basically the whole show. The whole show is basically Jerry Springer. I like Daniel bryan, but i also know why he's not the world champ. I like the rock, I like Cena. I think Cena's promos are more artistic. I think Rock's promos are more like a pop song. Neither one of them are as good as roddy piper or mick foley.

If you care about entertainment, then how come you can't get why cena is pushed the way he is? Why can't you get that Cena is GOOD? He might not entertain you, but that pop he gets when you hear BRRRRRAPATO means he's GOOD. The "Cena sucks" chants are no different than the "you suck" chants angle got. It's fun to boo Cena. no matter what you say, you boo him because he wants you to. He could be more ruthless and edgy, but he's not allowed to because it'd be media suicide.

I like "The Wrestler" BTW. Very awesome. I don't want anyone to die, I just don't believe Rock loves wrestling. I think he loves money and fame. Nothing wrong with that, just don't think he loves wrestling.

Rock is in movies, but so is Keanu Reeves. NOBODY would call Keanu Reeves a good actor.

I don't want anyone to die, I just don't believe Rock loves wrestling. I think he loves money and fame. Nothing wrong with that, just don't think he loves wrestling.

First you say you know the rock doesnt love the business, now u say i just dont believe, well if you know anything about the rock, he grow up in the business 3rd generation, if you forgot. grow up with hogan, his dad, andre the giant and all those wrestlers who put wrestling on the map since he was a kid okay so like he said it in his blood PERIOD.. he wanted to get in the business but his dad didnt want him in it ,cause he knew how bad the business was but the rock said fuck it n wanted to try it and his dad gave him his blessing and said fine only if i can train you... okay so how can someone who grow up in the business hate it ????

Who doesnt like money and fame if you love doing something why not get paid for it??? thats the stupidest thing i ever heard, whos going to work for free????

and alot of people would call keanu reeves a good actor, matrix, speed, the devils advocate all GREAT MOVIES your statement is FUCKED..

Your just a wrestling fan who i think is upset or sad cause the rock left, im not saying cena sucks but im saying his promos suck compare to the rocks PERIOD NO ARGUMENTS ABOUT IT!!!! cena does his job i agree people like me love to boo him just for the fuck of it

AND DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY FORMER WRESTLERS TRIED OUT FOR FOOTBALL BEFORE???????

I didn't say he hated it either, learn to comprehend things. I said he doesn't love it. Not loving something doesn't equal hating.

If he LOVED wrestling then he wouldn't have toiled trying to become a pro football player and he wouldn't have left early. Who gives a shit if his dad and grandpa were wrestlers. I don't wanna be a carpenter even though a lot of men in my family are carpenters.

I'm not saying liking money and fame is a bad thing.

NOBODY calls Keanu a good actor. Devils Advocate IS a great actor but read reviews. Paccino carries that movie DESPITE Keanu's awful acting.

I'm not sad Rock left, I was a rock fan, but I moved on.

LOTS of former wrestlers tried out football before, however, that's not who I'm comparing them to, I'm comparing Rock to Cena. Cena LOVES wrestling more than Rock. I LOVE wrestling more than The Rock.

You can't say "no arguments' because the fact that there have been several arguments, even though they're from people who don't hold your opinion, means that there are arguments.

Here's what I think.
1) Rock likes wrestling, but no more than football or movies. He's an extremely driven individual, achieved moderate success in his first "love" of football, HUGE success in his second "love" of wrestling, and good success in his third "love" of movies. Guys like Cena only have one love though.
2) Cena loves wrestling more than life itself
3) Keanu Reeves is a bad actor. He's a notoriously bad actor. He gets cast as emotionless characters (matrix) a lot because he's emotionless. Like I said, Devil's Advocate is a great movie in spite of keanu's awful acting. Paccino saved that movie. I read a review that said something along the lines of "too bad they didn't go with Edward Norton as originally thought as this would become an all time classic. instaed it's up to Al Paccino to save it by chewing up every inch of the set and shitting out oscars".
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/devils_advocate/
look at some of those reviews, like 20% of them say that paccino saved it and Keanu sucked. You saying Keanu is a good actor costs you a ton of credibility.

I didn't say he hated it either, learn to comprehend things. I said he doesn't love it. Not loving something doesn't equal hating.

If he LOVED wrestling then he wouldn't have toiled trying to become a pro football player and he wouldn't have left early. Who gives a shit if his dad and grandpa were wrestlers. I don't wanna be a carpenter even though a lot of men in my family are carpenters.

I'm not saying liking money and fame is a bad thing.

NOBODY calls Keanu a good actor. Devils Advocate IS a great actor but read reviews. Paccino carries that movie DESPITE Keanu's awful acting.

I'm not sad Rock left, I was a rock fan, but I moved on.

LOTS of former wrestlers tried out football before, however, that's not who I'm comparing them to, I'm comparing Rock to Cena. Cena LOVES wrestling more than Rock. I LOVE wrestling more than The Rock.

You can't say "no arguments' because the fact that there have been several arguments, even though they're from people who don't hold your opinion, means that there are arguments.

Here's what I think.
1) Rock likes wrestling, but no more than football or movies. He's an extremely driven individual, achieved moderate success in his first "love" of football, HUGE success in his second "love" of wrestling, and good success in his third "love" of movies. Guys like Cena only have one love though.
2) Cena loves wrestling more than life itself
3) Keanu Reeves is a bad actor. He's a notoriously bad actor. He gets cast as emotionless characters (matrix) a lot because he's emotionless. Like I said, Devil's Advocate is a great movie in spite of keanu's awful acting. Paccino saved that movie. I read a review that said something along the lines of "too bad they didn't go with Edward Norton as originally thought as this would become an all time classic. instaed it's up to Al Paccino to save it by chewing up every inch of the set and shitting out oscars".
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/devils_advocate/
look at some of those reviews, like 20% of them say that paccino saved it and Keanu sucked. You saying Keanu is a good actor costs you a ton of credibility.

Id say the rock loves wrestling more than football, but movies i dont know about that one. Cena probably does love wrestling more than the rock, thats cena for you but Ric flair loves wrestling more than ANYBODY IN THE WORLD nobody cares.. If you love something do it, the rock loves making movies so some fans are going to hate on him cause he loves that more than breaking his neck and working 300 days a year.. and im not roger ebert im not here to review movies, all i know is if your getting paid for making movies and they keep putting your ass in movies than good for you especially if the movies are grossing 100's of millions of dollars, you might think there bad actors some will think different.. I think Cena is a bad actor and he should never act again stick with working 300 days a year enjoy breaking your body, but after working so much you would think he would pick up some skill:shrug:

A lot of actors get to where they are by, essentially, kissing ass and knowing someone. I'm pretty sure Keanu's mom basically ran a halfway home/****ehouse for out of work actors. Which is how he got his foot in the door.

The ONLY reason I get on the Rock for not loving wrestling is because he's always talking about how much he does in promos (probably a heelish tactic if nothing else against cena fans).

You rip on Cena and say he doesn't have any skill. But I'll ask you again, would the attitude era have been as entertaining if it were PG? don't say "well then do away with PG" either because after Benoit, that's not an option.

Cena probably COULD do as many movies as rock if he put everything into it. He doesn't though, he'd rather break his body for something he loves.

One more thing on the acting. Google "why is keanu reeves" and let the autofill come up, about the 6th one down is "why is keanu reeves a bad actor". You KNOW you're a bad actor when you're so universally thought of as a bad actor that it shows up on google's autofill.

kinda interesting, when you type "the rock is" a ways down it says "the rock is a good actor" so that might say something. When you google "john cena is" a ways down it says "john cena is better than the rock". Kinda cool.

You rip on Cena and say he doesn't have any skill. But I'll ask you again, would the attitude era have been as entertaining if it were PG? don't say "well then do away with PG" either because after Benoit, that's not an option.

Ill give you an answer, yes i do.. Look at the wrestlers in the company back than, AUSTIN,THE ROCK,HHH,HBK,DX,Y2J,UNDERTAKER,KANE,MANKIND, and others was it tv14 yeah. was it the jerry springer of wrestling yes it was, what was the most rated shows back in the day raw and springer right??? n its not cause it was attitude it was just alot better. raw is war was exciting to watch.. and before attitude was wrestling entertaining YES it was.. the golden age of 1988 to 1992 was entertaining, the next generation kind of like the PG era we got now was still entertaining and exciting the attitude era was just ina different level, aggression era was good to, around 2008 to this year the product has bin stale n boring and since the rock came back he put some life back in the company dont believe me look at the rating.. it has nothing to do with the past it has to do with the current roster, i like wrestlers like cm punk, del rio, wade the miz all heels for some reason the faces of the company are cena and orton who are just to me the wannabe rock and austin of this era..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back