is the IWC happy with Cena's current role?

I think it's a great change of pace. Cena will always be someone that WWE can push to the top of the card when the spot needs to be filled, just like he did this past year. It was inevitable that the guy would have to step away from the main event picture, and mid card feuds are perfect for him right now. If WWE were smart about booking him, they'd still make it hard for him to be defeated. With the Rusev example - have them engage in a series of draws and DQ's. Really draw out the feud. So that it means something when one man finally wins or loses.

That's what I'm expecting to happen at Fast Lane, and even if there's no decisive winner at Mania, just having a series of close matches with Cena should elevate Rusev.

John Cena has taken more heat from the IWC than any other wrestler in history. Well, no other top superstar exactly had the IWC before Cena, but I believe most of his criticism comes from his character, not the fact he came around as the IWC was growing.

Most criticism is in large part directed at booking. Most believe they built him too strong of a face in order to profit from his character. The period of Cena's dominance no doubt made for some extremely anti-climactic main events, because we all knew Cena would win, no matter what.

After years of complaints and criticisms from the WWE universe, it seems Cena's character doesn't get the push it once did. Is it because of aging or because of fan chatter? I guess we really don't know the exact reasons behind this new way of booking Cena.

But throughout 2014 he was booked to put Lesnar over mainly. He lost in 3 world title matches and was not at all dominant. He didn't even get to be the guy who got rid of the authority, that honor went to Ziggler and Sting. He doesn't overcome odds much anymore. Even when he got the 3 re-hired that was because of Sting's appearance.

Now fast forward to Fastlane. He is in a match against Rusev, a match that he will lose. There is no way WWE is going to end Rusev's streak a month before WrestleMania. Now, I expect a rematch at WM in which Cena win's the US title.

1. Do you like the way Cena is being booked now?
2. Would having him as US champ help add credibility to the title?
3. Will he break the all time title record eventually or is he doomed to midcard jobber status from here on out?

I'm with Cena being the booked the way he is. He is a good measuring stick for Rusev.

I wouldn't mind him as US Champ as long as it's an opportunity for Rusev to win the title back.

I think he'll break the record, he's so close to it.

With Cena it's always been a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't scenario. Here's a guy who is a fantastic in ring worker, and quite frankly one of the best wrestlers pound for pound on the roster. But people hate him. Why I have no idea.

I've never had a problem with Cena except for the fact that he's stale, his character hasn't changed in forever. But he's the WWE go to guy, when they need someone to hold the title or start a big feud, Vince looks at him everytime, and he has always delivered.

As for the way he's being booked right now? I think the US title is a step down for him and he doesn't need the rub of beating Rusev. Someone like Roman Reigns needs that more. Besides in a Cena/Rusev match, you split the fanbase. The half that hates Cena will support Rusev, it's a weird situation.

I don't think he'll necessarily add credibility to a title that really has no credibility to it to begin with. The WWE has never seemed to have a plan for their midcard titles in the last 10 years. They only focus on main event stars and have let the IC and US titles slide.

Cena will tie Flair's record and go on to beat it. And I think he'll be the last wrestler to ever do that. With NXT and the good people they have down there on the horizon, the WWE shouldn't find themselves short of amazing wrestlers to fill the gaps on the main roster.

I agree with this post almost entirely, except for the in-ring worker part. I think Cena is a pretty awful worker, at least for a "top guy", but that's not me saying he hasn't had good matches. He's had some fantastic matches, and the one he had with Cesaro last year still comes to memory from time to time as a wonderful match. So I'm giving him his due at least. :p But I'm sorry for those who disagree (which of course is totally fine!), I just think he's not very good in the ring. All I ask for is someone to show him how to throw a believable punch and I'll like his work a lot more! :D

As for the spot he's in right now, as someone said earlier, it's a nice change of pace. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite saying I'd be okay with Cena going over on Rusev when I was so vehemently against him beating Bray Wyatt. But that's more on not being all that interested in Rusev over anything else. With Cena's status not withstanding, I'd be more than ok with him becoming US champion and hopefully getting into some worthy feuds. I have a feeling they may give him a run as IC champion sometime down the line too considering that's the one title he hasn't had yet. I think it would be great to have him as US and IC championship at different points, and hopefully to give the title the focus rather than some terrible storyline.

Honestly, I never found any reason to hate John Cena. This is why, I am a lifelong John Cena fan. I know many smarks will bitch me for this statement. But, I want Cena haters to mention a reason for hating him with an exception of his character. He puts on great matches (if the opponent is talented also). He is also a great talker,great performer and great merchandise seller. It is Vince McMahon who made him stale by never changing his style and gimmick.

I dont see how his role has changed. He was still in the title picture and forced into a feud with pretty much everyone relevant in order to keep him relevant. He burried the Wyatts ( by way Vince's hard-on for him ). He was in the title picture with Brock. His role hasnt changed really. Just because Brock's held the title all this time doesnt mean Cena is all of a sudden pushed down the totem pole. He's still THE guy in their eyes.

This feud with Rusev which started from Rusev interrupting Cena's backstage promo ( lol ) is just his feud with Bray Wyatt, the 2.0 version. Now, I'm guessing this time around they wont burry another one of their top prospects so this feud might be interesting, but I would advise against holding one's breath. But I dont like how everyone is saying that he is taking a backseat and that WWE "have realised" they cant rely on Cena forever. Wanna bet? As long as Vince is still breathing they will rely on John Cena, heavily.

I dont see the promos being too good really. Unless Cena matures ( hard ) and stops doing pooppy jokes this wont end well. If this feud is supposed to go into Mania, this should be Cena making jokes about how Lana sexy and how her skimpy her outfit is and how Rusev wears his tights. Also, if they script Cena to be like the last American hero, amd he starts doing John Cena type hyped extra-pro-american promos, sorry I'm gonna skip that.

I just hope they go in a more creative way about this feud and not just Cena the last standing American Hero vs The Angry Russian and his sexy manager. Hell, given Cena's popularity with males over 10 - and if this IS the feud for WM - Rusev will get babyface reaction 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back