• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is KENTA about to be another Sin Cara?

VinnieSunshine

The lord of darkness
WWE just signed Japan's top name. He said that he is working on his english, and WWE will send him down to NXT. We've seen this story before with Mexican star Mystico, aka Sin Cara.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't follow much wreslting outside of the WWE, I only know what I read about...

Both guys are top names in their region, from a different style than WWE, and can't speak english.

So what separates KENTA from being the next Sin Cara?

NXT will hopefully be a good start. Sin Cara too my knowledge was fast tracked straight to the main roster without spending time in developmental and thus never learned how to work a WWE match. If KENTA spends a year or so in NXT he'll be able to learn the differences between WWE and Japan and learn to adapt his style. Another difference that comes to mind is Sin Cara's lucha offense is partially dependent on his opponent being just as agile as he is. In Mexico where high flyers are a big draw that was never an issue.. not so much in WWE. From what I've heard, I've never seen his matches, KENTA has a hard hitting Daniel Bryan/CM Punk style offense which may translate better.

NXT will hopefully be a good start. Sin Cara too my knowledge was fast tracked straight to the main roster without spending time in developmental and thus never learned how to work a WWE match. If KENTA spends a year or so in NXT he'll be able to learn the differences between WWE and Japan and learn to adapt his style. Another difference that comes to mind is Sin Cara's lucha offense is partially dependent on his opponent being just as agile as he is. In Mexico where high flyers are a big draw that was never an issue.. not so much in WWE. From what I've heard, I've never seen his matches, KENTA has a hard hitting Daniel Bryan/CM Punk style offense which may translate better.

If WWE superstars only told their stories in the ring, I could agree but KENTA's language barrier is going to be a major anchor on his ability to get over.

This is just one of those signings that sounds like it should be big news, but in reality, this is a poor fit.

No. From all reports about the guy, KENTA's going in with the full understanding he's starting from the bottom of the totem pole and will have to work his ass off to get his spot and is perfectly okay with that. This already put him above Sin Cara v1 who went in with a massive chip on his shoulder and an I'm Hot Shit attitude. Combine this with the fact that his time in FCW was basically 'A few weeks and then I get called up' I hardly call Sin Cara's time down in FCW time well spent. WWE's learned their lesson and don't intend to make the same mistake twice in a row.

I was thinking the same thing making the KENTA/Sin Cara reference. Give him a manager like Sakamoto who used to be with Tensai until his English is good enough. I believe his wrestling ability will get him over to an extent but WWE must make him seem like a legit bad ass for his size in every match. Make people take him serious. I know saying the cruiserweight title needs to come back but its a good time to do it. With KENTA, Adrian Neville, Aiden English, Tyler Breeze, Kalisto, and others in NXT who are light wights plus those on the main roster like Koffi, Sin Cara, Gabriel, Miz, Cody. Sounds like great matches in the cruserwight division if it was one.

All Kenta has to do is get over and not be injury prone, as well as not be a pussy. Sin Cara actually had the ref stop a match because he jammed his finger....that is not the WWE "attitude". If Kenta can fit into the mix and get some reaction and know that you have to fight through mild injuries for the sake of the show, he will be fine.

And to think that Kenta is smaller and lighter than Bryan (5'8" vs 5'10", 181lb vs 210lb).

Obviously, Kenta needs to stay in NXT at least for a year. While being there, he should take english courses to develop his language. If he does not progress his language enough, like they already said here, then give him a translator/manager.

Put please...PLEASE! Don't give Kenta another Japanese stereotype gimmick. STOP IT! They should give him a business man gimmick, something that we haven't seen in WWE from a Japanese wrestler. Not a rich man/aristocrat gimmick, but a wise business man who just fights for mere business.

When Sin Cara was signed, WWE's developmental and talent relations system were under the control of Big Johnny, if I'm not mistaken. I think that while Triple H was ultimately responsible for bringing Sin Cara in, Triple H hadn't been an executive for very long and didn't have the sort of stroke he'd soon come to have as an executive. As we've all seen over the past couple of years, WWE's developmental system, now NXT, is universes ahead of where it was 4 or 5 years ago with Triple H in charge and, as a result, I'm more confident that things will work out for the best.

That's no guarantee, however, as there are pretty much no guarantees in real life or pro wrestling. Triple H, generally speaking, is much more of a wrestling than a "sports entertainment" type of guy and that's reflected in the changes he's made. That's not to say that some elements of "sports entertainment" don't wind up as part of NXT from time to time or that they won't wind up on Raw if/when Trips ultimately takes over from Vince.

Like others, my biggest concern is that they'll stick Kenta with some lousy, outdated Japanese stereotype. I know this sounds very simple, not particularly innovative, but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Kenta's storyline being that he's ultimately come to WWE to prove something to not only WWE but American fans: smaller wrestlers are every bit the equal or superior to bigger ones. Kenta's billed at 5'8" and somewhere in the 180 to 185 pound range, which makes him one of the smallest men on the roster in terms of height & weight. Don't try to make him charming or funny, don't try to make him some sort of guy nobody takes seriously, but just as someone with an intense passion to compete and show what he's made of.

Off the top of my head, whether NXT or the main roster, the only one smaller than Kenta is Rey Mysterio. During his days in WCW, Mysterio was billed between 5'4" and 5'6" and about 145 pounds and in WWE, he's billed at 5'6" and 175 pounds. He's definitely heavier now than he was 12-15 years ago.

As others have said, I'm afraid that KENTA will be Tajiri'd..Tajiri was a fucking force to be reckoned with in ECW, Mexico, Japan, wherever he went..When he got to the WWE, he was reduced to being a clown who smiled a lot and acted an ass..

Sure, he did have some good matches against people like Eddy Guerrero, HHH, The Dudleyz, etc But Tajiri never got his just due the entire time he was in the WWE and I really hope KENTA doesn't get fucked over in the same way..

For anyone who hasn't seen Tajiri in both the original ECW and the WWE, here's 2 videos so that you'll see why I'm very worried for the same thing happening to KENTA..

Tajiri in the original ECW was not to be fucked with-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQB_z9qhzE

Whereas, Tajiri in WWE was obviously fucked over-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-HL13nkv1c

Why would the WWE make such a talented guy turn into such a wasted talent? Granted he had a tag team title run but he was never taken seriously as a singles competitor, never given a real legitimate feud in the WWE and mostly he was Regal's bitch when instead a serious Regal/Tajiri tag team would've been worlds better than a bumbling Regal with an even dopier Tajiri following him around.

You know the more and more i think about it,The more i worry about KENTA...But then i also have to think about who else they are bringing in with him. Devitt and Steen he will have already be top one of billing in NXT..when you look at there roster and see the guys that are at the top they are former Champions Sami and PAC(i forget his NXT name). I do fear the that KENTA will get stuck in issue of Market vs Ability (which any post on why African American's aren't pushed in WWE)...KENTA will be a Great IC Champion hands down...his gimmick i hope doesn't stereotype him..i hope they keep the Strong Style in him.

Based on what I've heard, this guy seems more mature and eager to learn, i.e. total opposite of Sin Cara who used to think that he is John Cena.
The first step to success is accepting that you don't know, and wanting to learn. Kenta has done that right. He has the backing of Triple-H, so we can bet that he will get a refreshing character upon his debut, and not a done-to-death one. He'll definitely do better than the other recent international superstars.

Question is, with there being only one World title now, and so many rising superstars, will he ever reach the top? I guess it doesn't matter now; Reality Era will be like those old days when you didn't need to win the World title to be a big deal and have a HOF-worthy career.

Here why he is not going to be the next Sin Cara. First, I hear Konnan talk about Mistico he mentions that while he was over he was a sub par worker. From what I am lead to believe Kenta is incredible so he should be fine. Now his persona may not click but he has his work to fall back on.

Secondly, he's taking the ADR route which Mistico should have done which is going to nxt for a while and get used to American crowds and the WWE style.

It really all depends on who has control of Kenta character... If Vince is we probably getting another yoshi tatsu or triple h is in control then he could probably be a very successful star

Sin Cara had a few things going against him.

1. He was rushed into the spotlight too fast.

2. He couldn't show any emotion in the ring due to his mask. This comes from the "WWE Style of Wrestling" thread. Because the WWE wants emotion and ring psychology, Sin Cara wasn't able to portray that like others without use of facial expressions, etc. Not to mention he botched a lot of spots. Giving up on a match after breaking his finger against Del Rio was the last straw.

3. He thought he was bigger than he really was and was considered a dick by many because he thought he was a star before he even had his second match.

Using KENTA in NXT will help immensely. He's already known as one of Japan's best in regards to portraying emotion and story telling. Him wanting to start fresh is only a step in the right direction. He knows he needs to earn his stripes.

The WWE hasn't had much success in making Asian wrestlers stars recently. It didn't help that they used Japanese girl music for Tatsu. And gave another a cowboy gimmick (Wang Yang).

I don't see why they can't do it. Tajiri, Great Muta, Great Kabuki. All were fairly popular.

While I don't have a lot of faith in this new project because of past wrestlers failing, I'll give creative the benefit of the doubt.

I would like to see KENTA debut in NXT. I think ultimately that is what killed Sin Cara,he was fast tracked to the main roster without learning the WWE style of wrestling.. Language barrier hurt him as well,but if you can tell a story in the ring then we can forgive the language barrier..

KENTA should just come in as he is.. A very talented wrestler,dont make him a comedy act,show him as he is.. Someone with Intense Passion and something to prove type of persona..

Plus the fact,that he can learn english while learning the WWE Style,will only help him in the long run.. KENTA will be the what the second smallest wrestler on the Roster only behind Rey Rey! I think KENTA will be fine in the long run,but there are no guarantees

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back