• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is John Morrison main event material?

GW_Hart86

Pre-Show Stalwart
Personally I think John Morrison is great, love his in-ring ability and I think that with a bit of work his mic skills could drastically improve. I really think this guy is the next generation of Shawn Michaels.

I'm not at all a fan of repeating every old gimmick with new faces, but I really feel John Morrison could do a decent job of filling the shoes of HBK in his OWN WAY.

Of course, HBK is a legend and nobody will ever come close to replacing his legacy, but having said that, I'd love to see John Morrison get a main event push and a path to the world title as I believe he has earned it being a veteran of the business now.

I don't see it.

He has a good look and that's it.

Can't talk, can't wrestle; all he does are crazy moves and apparently that's enough for the IWC to make you a world champion.

And he's a face on RAW. That's a huge problem because you have Cena, Orton and HHH at the top.

Miz was able to do it because he's a heel, I can't see Morrison becoming a serious main eventer in 2011.

as i keep saying, john morrison has been main event material for a while now. he is great in the ring, an excellent performer. true, he could use better mic skills, but talking isn't what makes a main eventer, actions are. i feel as though morrison keeps having his talent wasted. i was expecting a great one on one match to take place at WM with someone, but instead they put him in a 6-person mixed tag match? bad booking for john. if john doesn't get a title shot in the next 6 months...im going to go insane :banghead:

I totally agree! Alot of people are complaining that he should be in a higher profile WM match, but his match is gaining alot of exposure. John Morrison is soo talented and I completely agree with your remark about him being like Shawn Michaels! I see JoMo holding a title, hopefully the WWE by the end of the year :)))

I don't see it.

He has a good look and that's it.

Can't talk, can't wrestle; all he does are crazy moves and apparently that's enough for the IWC to make you a world champion.

And he's a face on RAW. That's a huge problem because you have Cena, Orton and HHH at the top.

Miz was able to do it because he's a heel, I can't see Morrison becoming a serious main eventer in 2011.

Say what? While i agree that he needs some mic work, i don't see how you say he can't wrestle. If anything i would say he is one of the best wrestler's currently on the roster. His matches are never boring; and you say all he can do is "crazy moves," well that is part of his wrestling style. Did you not see his ladder match with Sheamus? His Falls Count Anywhere match for the WWE Championship agianst the Miz? His performance at Elimination Chamber? It's not just things like his insane Royal Rumble performance that makes him impressive.

The best part about it all is that he can do those agile high flying antics, but he is not a small guy like Evan Bourne or Rey Mysterio

JOMO is definately main event ready. fair enough he may not have the best mic skills YET! but being in the main event will be a push that will force him to go out there and talk (much like dare i say it benoit?) he has the skills that remind everyone one a HBK type charater. we all no he can play the heel and face characters and still pull a crowd. The future's bright for this man i can see it

Say what? While i agree that he needs some mic work, i don't see how you say he can't wrestle. If anything i would say he is one of the best wrestler's currently on the roster. His matches are never boring; and you say all he can do is "crazy moves," well that is part of his wrestling style. Did you not see his ladder match with Sheamus? His Falls Count Anywhere match for the WWE Championship agianst the Miz? His performance at Elimination Chamber? It's not just things like his insane Royal Rumble performance that makes him impressive.

The best part about it all is that he can do those agile high flying antics, but he is not a small guy like Evan Bourne or Rey Mysterio

All the matches you mentioned are gimmick matches. Let's see him have a great match one on one in the ring.

He excels in spot matches, that's it.

Say what? While i agree that he needs some mic work, i don't see how you say he can't wrestle. If anything i would say he is one of the best wrestler's currently on the roster.

No, the dude's right, John Morrison is a fairly weak wrestler. He is a spot monkey. His spots are amazing, incredibly athletic, and certainly visually impressive. But he isn't a good wrestler. He lacks rhythm, pacing, and most importantly, ring psychology. His matches never tell a story. There is no beginning, middle and end. Just a series of spots. The fact that Sheamus could carry Morrison to some good matches is more a testament to the Celtic Warrior's ability, than it is of Morrison's.

John Morrison isn't main event material. He is great at what he is. An attraction. A mid carder that can draw some attention through his spot monkeying. He lacks the package to be an effective main eventer, but has a good ability to "wow" the crowd in spurts. People won't go home saying how amazing his match was, but they will go home saying how amazing his spots were. There is a very solid place for him because of that, but it isn't in the main event.

Morrison's day in the sun is guaranteed. It's a shame they've forced him to be face for so long, though. The guy is a natural heel.

Certainley not in his current form. Im unsure as to thwy the WWE wants to put him as such a lynchpin of programming and yet refuse to develop his character at all.

He will never be a serious ME threat with that goofy ass music and lack of general direction or development with his personality. He very rarely gets to talk, and BADLY fucking needs a catchy sing songy modern rock song for his theme. He has improved his ring work to the point of being at least passable as an ME guy, but the rest of him is severely lacking, and the WWE seems more than happy to allow it to stay that way.

Anyone who thinks he should be a heel clearly has never seen any of his matches. he has a face moveset and the things that make him stand out, athletic moves, flippies, selling, are all strong face orientated attributes. To make him heel takes away everything he is good at.

He could make a fine ME face, especially for SD. He just needs to develop, and take on the proper feud.

John Morrison? More questions that answers! I dont see him as an HBK type Character, has the look, buy very bad mic skills! I have been a wrestling fan for 28 years, I have seen talent, and have a great eye for talent, I have been right about Cena, Jericho, Edge, Miz, and many others! I can tell who is gonna make it, some guys wait to see if the company makes them, and Morrison has not stepped it up! Look at the Miz, all his hard work got him to the top! Morrison, simply is not that good!

It could happen. Morrison gets huge crowd responses, and puts on exciting matches.

He isn't a great talker, but neither is RVD.

Anyone who thinks he should be a heel clearly has never seen any of his matches. he has a face moveset and the things that make him stand out, athletic moves, flippies, selling, are all strong face orientated attributes. To make him heel takes away everything he is good at.

Anyone who thinks he should be a face clearly has never seen any of his decent promos (his mic work as a face is CONSTANTLY targeted).

There is no rule that says heel wrestlers have to chain together rest holds or work a methodical style. Morrison can flip to his heart's delight as a heel just the same.

EDIT:

I just noticed you're a Cena fanboy. Those who ride the sack of the pseudo marine shouldn't cast stones...

Anyone who thinks he should be a face clearly has never seen any of his decent promos (his mic work as a face is CONSTANTLY targeted).

There is no rule that says heel wrestlers have to chain together rest holds or work a methodical style. Morrison can flip to his heart's delight as a heel just the same.

Uh, but there is, its called ring phsycology.

And what, his 4 face promos? He has been barely able to do any mic work or develop at all since turning face, hard to be so critical of it.

Turning him heel is like turning RVD, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio, or Evan Bourne heel. Just wont work.

EDIT:

I just noticed you're a Cena fanboy. Those who ride the sack of the pseudo marine shouldn't cast stones...

Ah, well this little exchange makes much more sense now. Your credibility as to how wrestling works is sky fuckin high now

I wish people could learn to see just that.

He was a heel, in MNM, as the IC champ, and the ECW champ doing all the same crazy stunts. His moveset has no bearing on how the audience should see him, provided he makes them hate him, which he has as a heel in the past.

And all of that before he teamed with the Miz, so that has no bearing on his ability to get over. It's about what they're doing with the character.

Morrison will eventually get the big one he reminds me HBK and Captain Charisma. They're all the same size but they've got the people behind them for what they do but McMahon and Helmsley don't see that. Brock Lesnar sucked on the mic wwhen he talked but was a multi-time WWE Champ and all that. It's about timing right now it's Mania season and I think JoMo and Christian if not Champs by Money In The Bank they will walk out the respective Brand's Bank Holder. John has been ME material since he debuted after Tough Enough of 2003 when he was branded Johnny Nitro.

Drop the cheesy wannabe rock star gimmick, get a new look, possibly a new name (I have hated it since he changed it from Johnny Nitro), and give him a mouth piece until he can get over on the mic by himself. He has what it takes but he is going to continue to struggle until some slight tweaks are made to his character. Oh and don't do Starship Pain anymore because he never hits it anyway.

He was a heel, in MNM, as the IC champ, and the ECW champ doing all the same crazy stunts. His moveset has no bearing on how the audience should see him, provided he makes them hate him, which he has as a heel in the past.

:shrug:

that he was. And getting pops for those moves. moveset and attributes have everything to do with working the match as a proper heel.

No, the dude's right, John Morrison is a fairly weak wrestler. He is a spot monkey. His spots are amazing, incredibly athletic, and certainly visually impressive. But he isn't a good wrestler. He lacks rhythm, pacing, and most importantly, ring psychology. His matches never tell a story. There is no beginning, middle and end. Just a series of spots. The fact that Sheamus could carry Morrison to some good matches is more a testament to the Celtic Warrior's ability, than it is of Morrison's.

John Morrison isn't main event material. He is great at what he is. An attraction. A mid carder that can draw some attention through his spot monkeying. He lacks the package to be an effective main eventer, but has a good ability to "wow" the crowd in spurts. People won't go home saying how amazing his match was, but they will go home saying how amazing his spots were. There is a very solid place for him because of that, but it isn't in the main event.

Morrison not being a good wrestler? Have you notice the miz is wwe champion? It doesn't matter if your a good wrestler or not if wwe doesn't give him a push then thats them. I've seen 2 spot monkey's hold the wwe title. (RVD, Jeff Hardy) So morrison winning the title is unlikely because those are the worst to examples ever! John morrison has been in the wwe since 2003 and if a guy like sheamus can be wwe champion so could he! Hell the title isn't worth a damn thing anymore! They give the title to a guy in 6 months of his debut!

Uh, but there is, its called ring phsycology.

And what, his 4 face promos? He has been barely able to do any mic work or develop at all since turning face, hard to be so critical of it.

Turning him heel is like turning RVD, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio, or Evan Bourne heel. Just wont work.

Ah, well this little exchange makes much more sense now. Your credibility as to how wrestling works is sky fuckin high now

Even that idea has been played with over the years. Randy Savage, while a great mat wreslter did quite a bit of high flying for his day, face or heel. RVD was a heel when he first came to the WWE, and had been a heel in ECW.

AJ Styles has been a heel a few times and never changed his in ring style, same can be said for Chavo Guerrero, Billy Kidman, Tajiri, Taka Michinoku, X-pac, Kid Kash, Hell Justin Gabriel has spent the better part of his initial run in the WWE as a high flying heel.

A traditional idea? yes. but not one that needs to be set in stone, and not one that has to absolutely apply to everyone.

JoMo is great in the ring. He can be funny at times other times he seems like hes trying too hard but john cena has this problem too. And the Crazy moves as you call them are awesome. He has technically been in the main event scene before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVKV7Exoig

THats his world title match against jeff hardy. This shows skill and alot more than some cool flips. Also this as a year and a half ago he has only gotten better since.

All the matches you mentioned are gimmick matches. Let's see him have a great match one on one in the ring.

He excels in spot matches, that's it.

i gotta disagree with you here man.... John Morrison has had great one on one matches with Cm Punk, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, Miz, ETC and yes he does great in spot matches as well but thats not all

Even that idea has been played with over the years. Randy Savage, while a great mat wreslter did quite a bit of high flying for his day, face or heel. RVD was a heel when he first came to the WWE, and had been a heel in ECW.

AJ Styles has been a heel a few times and never changed his in ring style, same can be said for Chavo Guerrero, Billy Kidman, Tajiri, Taka Michinoku, X-pac, Kid Kash, Hell Justin Gabriel has spent the better part of his initial run in the WWE as a high flying heel.

A traditional idea? yes. but not one that needs to be set in stone, and not one that has to absolutely apply to everyone.

and every one of them got face reactions, while they were supposed to be heel orientation, and thusly, eventually were turned face.

Everything you say only supports my point. Turning Morrison heel is pointless, and would require just as much character dvelopment as pushing him to be a ME face.

and every one of them got face reactions, while they were supposed to be heel orientation, and thusly, eventually were turned face.

Everything you say only supports my point. Turning Morrison heel is pointless, and would require just as much character dvelopment as pushing him to be a ME face.

No, very few wrestlers these days stay face or heel the whole of their careers these days. Chavo didn't start getting face attention regularly until after Eddie died, Kid Kash stayed heel his whole run in the WWE as I recall. X-pac seldom ever got cheers during his last run regardless of what he did in the ring.

You're attempting to oversimplify. It is tricky to make many high flyers heel and stay that way but not impossible to do. And once again, it's not like wrestlers don't turn heel and face with regularity depending on the story they're given.

Jumping back to Morrison, my point wasn't that he necessarily be heel. That point was a response to your perception that all high flyers have to be faces. I was saying that they need to let the character he had in ECW develop more which they've completely stalled, heel or face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back