• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it time to just get over it? (Benoit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Couch Pulls Out But I Don't

I am a WZ *****...GOD!
The following is a quote from the main site ...."Several readers have sent in word that the late Chris Benoit is featured several times in the upcoming "The Very Best of Monday Night Nitro" DVD which is slated for release on June 7th. It's also being noted, however, that no actual Benoit matches are shown on the DVD, and anytime Benoit is referred to as "The Crippler," the sound is muted."

In case you hadn't heard about it, back in 2007, Chris Benoit murdered his wife and child before hanging himself. After the WWE ran a tribute show, the details of the murder-suicide were revealed and Vince decided the Benoit name would never be spoke of again.

In my opinion, it is time to move on. Accept the fact that he was one of the best in the ring and showcase what he did in his professional life.

This is an excerpt from scientific experimentation of Chris Benoits brain after his death of course.

After the double-murder suicide, former wrestler Christopher Nowinski contacted Michael Benoit, father of Chris Benoit, suggesting that years of trauma to his son's brain may have led to his actions. Tests were conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, and results showed that "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient." He was reported to have had an advanced form of dementia, similar to the brains of four retired NFL players who had suffered multiple concussions, sank into depression, and harmed themselves or others. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems. Benoit's father suggests that brain damage may have been the leading cause of the crime.

With this knowledge, it does not clear Benoit for doing what he did, but it makes it easier to understand how it happened. I believe that the WWE should still showcase him on DVDs and such. Just not one that details his entire career.

What do you think? Should they continue to cut him out of history or finally let us have his matches to watch on certain DVD releases?

I agree Benoit should be honored and respected for what he did in the ring Having Benoit on DVDs is not saying WWE supports what he did to his family just what he did in the ring. Its been 4 years when putting out a DVD why exclude some great matches because they had Benoit in it.

While accept your points and can see where your coming from, i think you have to look at the feelings of the remaining family members. While they may not follow wrestling, t would be very painful for them to be reminded of him, let alone what happened. In my opinion i think WWE are right to continue to not show Benoit, whether their doing it to protect their own image or out of respect for Nancys family, the reasons behind it dont matter, its the fact that this is one tragedy some people will never get passed and those people should be respected.

(ps, thats just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong)

I must say that the general tone and wording of this thread (OP) is beyond insulting! Time to get over it? Could you be any more of a muppet? I think you need to have a serious look at yourself mate, if someone had killed your mother, nephew, son ect ect would you be stating four years on that you where happy to get over if? Do you have sympathy in this way for other double murderers? And your use of Dr Bailes' findings as a rational is also misplaced, as first of all you would have to read the research in full before making a judgement on how credible it is, and im sure there is research out there disputes Dr Bailes findings but that besides the point!

I was a huge Benoit fan, but Vince has taken the right course of action in this case, and people who come on here and justify what he did, and state that people need to get over it have some serious issues they need to address

I agree. Time to move on. Benoit was dope. I mean dude did second rope tombstones and powerbombs when it was unheard of (still is.) Brain damage caused the unfortunate deaths. Let's not forget depression cause of the loss of Eddie. And the deeper issues in it all that triggered it. Benoit's wife was a ****e and his child unfortunately had that skinny boy disease being totally un-athletic and unlike his father.. Cause and effect. A fucked up brain will do that to you.

Also, let's not forget that everything in the universe happens for a reason so his murder-suicide led to a lot of attention in the media to head trauma and performance enhancing drugs in sports. Yeah it was thru extreme methods but it cause a GREAT DEAL of awareness to some SERIOUS ISSUES IN ALL OF SPORTS.

That alone might make him an inadvertent hero.

What he did outside of wrestling doesn't matter when in comes to in ring performance, especially in the past. That Nitro dvd is now ruined. Benoit was in many classic matches. MANY. That's how most of us were introduced to him.

And straight up, I really wanted to see that Benoit vs CM Punk match on that PPV the day of his death.

At least we got a proper tribute show. The timing of it all was phenomenal.

I agree. Time to move on. Benoit was dope. I mean dude did second rope tombstones and powerbombs when it was unheard of (still is.) Brain damage caused the unfortunate deaths. Let's not forget depression cause of the loss of Eddie. And the deeper issues in it all that triggered it. Benoit's wife was a ****e and his child unfortunately had that skinny boy disease being totally un-athletic and unlike his father.. Cause and effect. A fucked up brain will do that to you.

Also, let's not forget that everything in the universe happens for a reason so his murder-suicide led to a lot of attention in the media to head trauma and performance enhancing drugs in sports. Yeah it was thru extreme methods but it cause a GREAT DEAL of awareness to some SERIOUS ISSUES IN ALL OF SPORTS.

That alone might make him an inadvertent hero.

What he did outside of wrestling doesn't matter when in comes to in ring performance, especially in the past. That Nitro dvd is now ruined. Benoit was in many classic matches. MANY. That's how most of us were introduced to him.

And straight up, I really wanted to see that Benoit vs CM Punk match on that PPV the day of his death.

At least we got a proper tribute show. The timing of it all was phenomenal.

Look I hardly post on here unless I think it is important and I have something to say.. I have to say this. dude did you just read what you wrote or was your head so far up your ass you really couldn't see the computer screen!!! Benoit's wife a ****e? how do you know that? Then you talk about his son not being athletic like him which is one of the reasons for Benoit murdering his family.. Cause and Effect you say? Well how about this:

Cause: The shit you just wrote..

Effect: We all know now that you are a ****** who can't put 2 and 2 together to make a rational reply.

Now on to my answer... I am a huge Benoit fan but you have to think about the family.. Yes it is a shame what happened to him and it's a shame about his brain being so messed up. My solution. I youtube all of Benoit's old matches and stuff. Does WWE have to mention him? No and it really doesn't bother me a bit. I wish it would have never happened, but you can't change what's already been done.

Its a bit much 'never mentioning his name' but still he did murder his wife and child, and that can't be forgiven.. I do think he was mentally unstable but this shoudn't mean what he did was ok... He was my favourite wrestler, one of the best, but he's a murderer

I see what the OP is doing but this is not a knock on the OP. Fuck **** ******. He knew exactly what was going on when he sent Chavo those texts and he knew what the fallout was going to be. ****** should have just offed himself but instead he took his family with him. Everyone paid tribute to him then to find out what really happened hurt so I don't blame anyone for trying to forget him. Write ****** out off the books fine who's he. To me yes he was good at his profession but he was a murderer and a punk to snuff out his wife and kid and not take help offered by his friends. Once again FUCK **** ******!

You know, being a great wrestler does not excempt you from MURDERING YOUR WHOLE FUCKING FAMILY.

It's a shame that Chris Benoit's brain was fucked at his time of death. It really is. I seriously doubt that Chris Benoit at 25-years old would have commited such atrocities. But the fact is that he eventually did. He should not be celebrated, no matter how good a wrestler that he was, or no matter how badly his brain was fucked up.

HE MURDERED HIS FUCKING FAMILY. Does that not sink in to some of you? He will never be in the Hall of Fame. He will never be remembered as one of the best wrestlers of all-time. He'll be remembered as the crazy asshole that murdered his wife and son.

Fuck Chris Benoit. In his dead, maggot-filled asshole.

Time to move on??? really?? he killed his wife and his kid.you cant move on from that no matter what he did as a wrestler..anything he did in the ring is tarnished now due to the fact that he killed his wife and kid.he is nothing but scum IMO.thats like saying if hitler cured cancer before he offed himself that we should celebrate him even though he killed many jews.i know some wrestling fans refuse to bash him simply because of his in ring work..also for everyone blaming his brain for what he did.thats hog wash.if his brain was that bad off how in the heck did he remember his flights,match endings and even find the arena if he were that bad off?on top of that there are many people with bad brains they dont go around killed their families.there is no excuse for what he did.other than he was an evil scum bag sack of shit.

No, I don't think Benoit can ever be "brought back." The WWE is right to erase him from history. His wife and kid are dead because he murdered them, regardless of his mental health. And it wasn't a sudden emotional outburst, some rage in which something terrible happened. These were calculated actions drawn out over several days. He may have had brain damage, but that doesn't change that in the end he was a monster. He is and will always be a murderer.

This is not something where you can let some time pass and eventually get over it.

It's a tragedy. Nobody wants to commit murder, believe me. Nobody is born a pyscho. It's all about cause and effect. It's sad that he died, and when I heard about it years ago, his wife was a very bad person. When the US killed innocent people inadvertently, accidentally in the name of justice, what do you think were in the mind of those victims. What goes around, comes around. It'd bite you one of these days.

Benoit sacrificed a lot (work and family), and had paid dearly for his crimes. We should forgive him. We don't know the full details of the story, and is in no position to judge what kind of person Chris Beniot was like...

I would very much like a DVD biography of Chris Benoit, from the very beginning of his career, to finally this tragic ending.

Nah, it may be a little too soon. While I fail to draw the same comparison as whoever was comparing Benoit to Hitler, I will agree that murdering your family is a good reason for the WWE to NOT feature your performances as they already receive enough bad press.

I should hope they're not so bad off they need to start making money off Benoit's legacy yet. How would you market that DVD anyway? "He committed one of the most notorious atrocities to ever be traced back to wrestling, now you can own all his greatest matches!"

Benoit was a MURDERER in his final hours, nothing can ever negate that, I don't agree with much of what Vince McMahon says, but in this case he's right on the money, Benoit never existed.

Lot of people who are clearly extremely ignorant toward mental disabilities and mental illness in general in this thread.

In the long run, yes, certainley. Im not so sure about "celebrated" but certainley shouldnt act like he never existed. Jimmy Snuka straight up murdered his ex wife, and he was on a WWE show like 2 years ago wasnt he?

Its still far too early, but no reason to not have hiim at least spoken of in the future.

Sure he was great in the ring but it really doesn't take away from what he did, I think it's good WWE are distancing themselves from him although they are most probably doing it so their name doesn't get put into a bad light. Nevertheless the outcome is the remaining members of the family can move on themselves, if they saw Benoit's name being put up in the lights week in and week out they would have no chance to move on.

Things like that are silly, really. Its makes no difference. Wrestling still exists, and their family members are still dead, regardless if Benoit is mentioned or if he isnt. It makes no difference to anyone moving on from the tragedy.

First of all, I do not agree with the actions of Benoit, but I am one of those nerdy history buffs. Benoit should not be in anyway glorified, but as far as history he should be displayed to a certain extent. People have done some very hideous things in history but we don't blotted them out of books and such, though we would like to.His death has made us more knowledgable about many of the problems in sports. So, I definitely think he should be in WWE dvds only through a limited historical scope like for instance if they released a history of the World title they could have a clip of him winning it while the commentator talks about him winning along with the next couple champs.

If you look at this from a business standpoint, including Benoit on a DVD would bring a ton of negative media, something the WWE doesn't want. The media would be quick to judge, as always, saying that Vince and his company were "supporting" Benoit's actions. Or they would change it around to say that Vince and the WWE were monetarily profiting off of Benoit's "tragedy". Either way it would cast WWE in negative light = bad for business. Chris Jericho commented on the death of Benoit in his recent book, "Undisputed". I found it an interesting read, so check it out if you haven't already.

Put all the bullshit aside and Benoit was one hell of a wrestler.

But the fact that some of you are actually defending a murderer is beyond me. No matter what he is a murderer and even with problems he shouldn't be excused for that mistake. Defending Benoit is showing that you clearly aren't affected by this and could care less about their families. Stop talking like a fan and think if he killed your family and someone apologized by saying he was messed up in the head, then would you forgive him HELL NO. So people shouldn't say get over it when it clearly doesn't affect you because what do you have to lose in that situation NOTHING so of course you can just get over it.

Look I hardly post on here unless I think it is important and I have something to say.. I have to say this. dude did you just read what you wrote or was your head so far up your ass you really couldn't see the computer screen!!! Benoit's wife a ****e? how do you know that? Then you talk about his son not being athletic like him which is one of the reasons for Benoit murdering his family.. Cause and Effect you say? Well how about this:

Cause: The shit you just wrote..

Effect: We all know now that you are a ****** who can't put 2 and 2 together to make a rational reply.

Now on to my answer... I am a huge Benoit fan but you have to think about the family.. Yes it is a shame what happened to him and it's a shame about his brain being so messed up. My solution. I youtube all of Benoit's old matches and stuff. Does WWE have to mention him? No and it really doesn't bother me a bit. I wish it would have never happened, but you can't change what's already been done.

While I understand your point and all about Benoit and how he didn't know what he was talkin about did you really have to insult him that makes you look like the dick.

Anyway I don't think its right. I understand wwe is covering their ass but its disrespectful not to give benoit his credit he was one of the most dedicated person for all his companys especialy WCW so he should get some type of name to be put into the HOF

when people (non wrestleing fans) like his wifes family and friends here the name chris Benoit they remember what happened so no give it another 6 years so its 10 years and atleast a little time has past and bring out a dvd with his best matches/promos. maybe now and then bring up his name like do you remember that great match he had with randy orton for the world title ect.

I see what the OP is doing but this is not a knock on the OP. Fuck **** ******. He knew exactly what was going on when he sent Chavo those texts and he knew what the fallout was going to be. ****** should have just offed himself but instead he took his family with him. Everyone paid tribute to him then to find out what really happened hurt so I don't blame anyone for trying to forget him. Write ****** out off the books fine who's he. To me yes he was good at his profession but he was a murderer and a punk to snuff out his wife and kid and not take help offered by his friends. Once again FUCK **** ******!

exactly. my friends and i have replaced his name. he is "the wrestler whose name shall not be spoken". seriously lol thats what we call him. fuck him. and blaming concussions is absolute bullshit the man worked out, made travel plans, showed up for work and was as professional as ever, showed no signs of slipping in the ring at all. he was so normal vince was going to get him the ecw title at that ppv he skipped.

he killed his family over a weekend, there were multiple decisions made it was not some spur of the moment roid rage.

he decided to kill nancy. he decided to wrap her in a blanket. he decided to to put a bible near her. he decided to to chill with his son and go swimming over the weekend. he decided to call off work. he decided to to watch the ppv he was supposed to be at and text his friends. he decided to kill his son with a chokehold. he decided to wrap him in a blanket. he decided to place a bible near him. he decided to to get drunk. he decided to take out the trash and let the dogs out. he decided to kill himself.

all that being said, as much as i hate it...he deserves to be in the HoF.

and lastly fuck chris nowinski for trying to make a name for himself off this shit.

While I understand your point and all about Benoit and how he didn't know what he was talkin about did you really have to insult him that makes you look like the dick.

Anyway I don't think its right. I understand wwe is covering their ass but its disrespectful not to give benoit his credit he was one of the most dedicated person for all his companys especialy WCW so he should get some type of name to be put into the HOF

The problem is i agree with you 100 percent.. People have to move on and he was one hell of a wrestler. There are 2 problems..

1. Benoit didn't kill our family members at all, so what authority does anyone have to say they should move on? I certaintly don't nor will I try too.

2. I disagree with you calling me a dick. I am a dick for calling him a ****** but he called Benoit's wife a ****e? That should go unsaid. Opinions are opinions and yes 2 wrongs don't make a right but that's the problem we have today. People think they can just talk out their ass and not suffer any consequences.

If i insulted you in anyway, then my apologies, but calling a women we knew nothing about who was murdered a ****e is just simply wrong.

I honestly don't think most of you are grasping the meaning of this thread. IMO, the OP isn't asking people to outright forgive him for his actions. Frankly, what he did will never be forgiven. But for the WWE to just erase him from their history is kind of absurd. I'll agree that there should never be a Best of: Chris Benoit DVD, but the fact that they censor his name from their current DVDs just seems a little bit extreme to me. I'm sure by now everybody understands what he did, and knows about it, so why leave it out of their history?

Does U.S. history exclude slavery?
Does German history exclude WWII?

No, they don't, but there also isn't much material out there that glorifies it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back