• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it me is the Cena hate slowly fading away?

Is it me is the Cena hate slowly fading away?

• Yes,your not the only one

• Yes... For now

• No,Still the same

• Maybe, I haven't payed any attention to/ noticed that

• Yes, because now they have a new face of the company to torture (Reigns)

Results are only viewable after voting.

That N Word

Actively evolving
I haven't seen much hate for Cena lately... all i've been saying is respect with a little dose of retire Cena. Even the he needs to turn heel thing hasn't been a we hate you because you wont. Don't get me wrong I still see people who hate Cena and down talk him but it has become extremely rare or is it just me. As far as the "Let's go Cena,Cena sucks!" chants they are just like the fans chanting "You Suck" to Angle. It's where they don't really think he sucks but it's just catchy. Only thing i've really heard is the not putting no one over deal. But every since Ambrose winning and headlining HIAC i've seen alot of people praising Cena. The hate started back up around SS with the feeling he would become superman again and bury Rollins and not help Ziggler's career at all. But after SS fans came more to the no dislike for Cena side (except for on WWE & TNA Superstars Facebook group where the admins banned him.) There was a tiny bit of fear of him burying Rollins at TLC,and while he beat him he needed help, and the next night on Raw Rollins beat Cena in the best way possible IMO. So latey I haven't really seen any Cena hate but then again it could just be me who hasn't seen it.

I imagine a lot of it is because some of the fans that hated him in the begining have now stopped watching or following the sport, I guess his gimick at the start of his WWE career as the annoying rapper character probably didn't help gain any respect from longterm fans, One of the most noticeable was at the ECW reunion show a few years ago and maybe a lot of those original ECW fans have moved on.

I imagine a lot of it is because some of the fans that hated him in the begining have now stopped watching or following the sport, I guess his gimick at the start of his WWE career as the annoying rapper character probably didn't help gain any respect from longterm fans, One of the most noticeable was at the ECW reunion show a few years ago and maybe a lot of those original ECW fans have moved on.

Everyone loved rapper Cena. He had the biggest pop (no boo's period) of the night as the rapper. It was when he became a bit of an ass kisser to the fans.... instead of telling the ones who boo'ed him to kiss his ass (like he did originally as the face of WWE) and become this PG corporate guy that the fans began to turn on him.

He pretty much gets the "Let's go Cena/Cena sucks' chants whenever he comes out, they will never go away. It's like the YES movement, or the cell phones when Wyatt comes out. It's more of a symbolic gesture now. If they died away fully, then Cena would wonder what's going on.

Any wrestler it doesn't matter who you are will have fans who love them, and fans who can't stand the sight of them. It's been that way since the beginning and will stay that way until the WWE folds their tents and ceases to exist.

When it comes to this fan prospective I still am not a fan of the John Cena character. The boy scout act died long ago with Hulk Hogan and I haven’t been able to get behind any reincarnation of the act. I realize his character is not meant to excite my interest as a fan and I simply try to no longer pay attention to him. When he is on screen to address the crowd I typically switch to another station. If he is working a match with others I am interested in I will watch and root against him but take it in stride when he inevitably goes over. I understand his spot on the roster and what he means to the company so it is what it is.

It should. The guy's a 15-year industry veteran, has carried the company for longer than Hogan, Hart or Austin ever did, is a candidate for the greatest talker in history, and is a GREAT wrestler.

Yeah yeah, all his great matches were 100% down to the other guy because he "can't wrestle" and other such cool stories. Y'all can now let your insecurities go and find something else to hate, or continue to ignore the glaring truth.

Everyone loved rapper Cena.

Seriously? Not me for one and I had seen him live a couple of times around that time to bascially boring silence except for when he insinuated a swear word in his rhyming interview.
Very surprised to hear all the old time fans of ECW and attitude era were now actually all closet John Cena fans when he first started. Can't see it myself.
Ive personally never completely disliked the guy
I just think he seems to be aimed more at kids.

It's mostly the fact that the fans that made up the hot crowds of SummerSlam 2013 through about a month after Mania 30 have stopped watching (for the time being, anyway). The product is at a really terrible point, and it was coming off of a long run of good showings, so those fans have tuned out. They may or may not be back for WrestleMania season. They usually are, but WWE has been exceptionally bad this year (not including NXT). The Cena hate is still there, I promise you. The fans that hate him have just tuned out because it is unbearable to watch at this juncture. Cena burying Rollins at TLC and his supposed "backstage pep talk" are all the more reasons for the ones who hate him to keep doing so.

It's definitely not just you. In fact, when Lesnar was destroying Jericho on Monday, you may have noticed that the crowd was actually chanting for Cena!! Assuming they weren't piped in from the truck, I didn't think we'd EVER hear that again on Raw. I know it partially has to do with both dislike for Lesnar and love for Jericho but it was surprising nonetheless.

Both. It's you, and also it has faded away a long time ago. I have long held a theory that fans boo Cena merely out of tradition at this point.

On a side note the "Lets Go Cena/Cena Suck" duel was replaced during the main event with "Let Go Cena/Lets Go Rollins." It shifted from just being about Johnny to Rollins getting recognition for the work he has done with his character.

As much as he is despised by the majority of fans over the age of 18, Cena will go down as a legend. He has had a longer top of the card run than Hogan did in the WWE. That alone is staggering. Add to that his body of ring work and Cena has to be considered as an all time great. Would a heel turn emphasise this? I doubt we will ever know. However Cena kind of is always heel. He gets boo'd everyone he is facing gets cheered. Its a strange dynamic.

Cena's ability to work throughout the misplaced stupidity of smarks is second to none. He rarely if ever breaks character, and he has to deal with some of the lowest scum of wrestling fandom (those that dislike the good guy on purpose and cheer the bad guy on purpose, and attempt to ruin the show for every other paid fan in attendance). I think that work ethic is stronger than the smark desire to take attention away from the wrestlers and make the show about their chants.

Cena has been the same bland character for so long that booing him has somehow lost any thrill it might have ever possessed. At some point in the last nine years the fans have come to accept that no amount of booing will ever provoke this guy into turning heel, and so jeering him went from deliberate and intentional to obligatory to "Screw it, I'll just stand here and stare at him in sullen disapproval."

So to answer the poll question: No, the Cena hate is still there, it's just less audible these days

Yes, and I think this is because Cena is not the only centre of attraction anymore. He is not the WWE World Champion, not closing all RAWs and PPVs anymore, losing matches more often than before, and sharing the spotlight with emerging talent in a complementary way. There was a time when just about every online fan was sick and tired of John Cena for the aforementioned reasons, and the fact that their hate has died down now with a change in things proves that their complaints were justified and not just blind hate.

No one truly "hates" Cena. it's more of a thing to do when someone is yelling "Cena Sux". He's the best in the business right now like it or not and he hasn't changed his tune one time despite what everyone wants him to do. Guys like Big Show has turned heel and face more times than I turn the channel during a day and he's still where he always will be; the middle of the road irrelevant. Cena has stayed true to the character and has even added a little bit of edge to it with some of his mic work.

Yes, and I think this is because Cena is not the only centre of attraction anymore. He is not the WWE World Champion, not closing all RAWs and PPVs anymore, losing matches more often than before, and sharing the spotlight with emerging talent in a complementary way. There was a time when just about every online fan was sick and tired of John Cena for the aforementioned reasons, and the fact that their hate has died down now with a change in things proves that their complaints were justified and not just blind hate.

It literally shows the exact opposite of what you are saying. It shows the idiocy of the Cena detractors. He has only ever done what Creative gave him to do. There have been several times throughout his career that they move him aside to let other talent succeed, they just can't make it, CM Punk was one of the last that they tried it with.

Hating Cena because he used to close PPVs down is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I guess that Stone Cold being in the Main Event made you mad in the late 90s, too, right? Or the Rock in the early 2000s?

Yep, it's fading away, and get replaced with not caring about RAW at all. There is a possibility, that fans who couldn't stay Cena, got their final nail in WWE's coffin with Cena's victory over Rollins last sunday.

The crowds never can make up their mind. Sometimes they chant "Cena! Cena!" or "Let's go Cena!". especially if they want him to come to the rescue. Other times they are divided. In his cage match with Rollins, I heard dueling "Let's go Cena!", "LEt's go Rollins!" chants. You never know what reaction Cena will get.

I think only the most EXTREME anti-Cena trolls... hem hem "fans", still take the time out to bash Cena, but the majority of the IWC seems to have moved from disdain, to grudging respect; which Cena definitely deserves. It may also help that he's not constantly being shoved down our throats as the only wrestler on the roster who's worth a damn anymore.

With the introduction of people like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, etc. the focus has been shifted from Cena to these new up and comers, and has allowed fans to watch Raw without it completely revolving around SuperCena.

The "Let's go Cena/Cena Sucks" chants just seem to be the norm nowadays as most have said and it doesn't really seem like the crowd is all that passionate about it anymore. It may be just me, but I've noticed the "Cena sucks" part of the chant has gone down exponentially from even a year ago.

2 things happened: 1 is his Survivor Series team won and put the hated Authority off of TV for a bit, which I think made a lot of fans happy.

Second, they haven't played up the split crowd/Cena sucks stuff much of late. When they elude to it in the past is when it's loudest.

I and millions of others still HATE cena. He is the biggest heel of all time. The only reason the hate has quieted is because people aren't watching RAW right now. They have better things to do like watch football and christmas holidays. Once RAW picks up and people start watching again, we will be in full force hate cena mode as always.

Cena is NOT a face like people claim. He is a heel. He buries the entire roster every promo and match. He says stuff like "You wan't to succeed? You have to go through me, otherwise you are nothing.", "Face to face with the man who runs the place" etc. He is arrogant, he laughs at the boo's, he welcomes them with his sly smile and ignores them.

He attaches himself to anyone with any bit of spotlight to steal it from them. He steals all the storylines. The guys ego is massive.

These are classic heel tactics 101. Cena is the best heel since HHH in 2002-2004. I legit HATE cena. If I go to a WWE show I am scared I might actually jump the rail to attack him. Yes, he angers me that much.

I think the deal with Cena is the same with Orton as to why fans are taking to them so well. Orton and Cena both came into the WWE very young, and were thrown into the limelight at 24 years old, if not younger. They basically just got used to buying legal alcohol in America when they were told "Okay, we're putting you on the main roster"... and in wrestling world, that's like coming in as a kid. In fact, Undertaker's first line to Cena was, "What's your name, kid?"

Over time, we've seen Cena and Orton both mature in the WWE. Their characters have sort of become a testament to their maturity. Cena has given up the childish wanna-be-thug attitude and traded in for a down to Earth everyday average Joe who just happens to do what he loves. Orton has given up the spoiled silver spoon child and traded in for the seasoned veteran and rumored locker room leader.

And because of this, fans are starting to accept them more. It's like seeing a young sports prospect go from a high school juggernaut to a major league Hall of Famer. At some point, you stop caring about the small points and just go, "The man paid his dues, busted his ass, and earned his spot... let him have it."

I and millions of others still HATE cena. He is the biggest heel of all time. The only reason the hate has quieted is because people aren't watching RAW right now. They have better things to do like watch football and christmas holidays. Once RAW picks up and people start watching again, we will be in full force hate cena mode as always.

Cena is NOT a face like people claim. He is a heel. He buries the entire roster every promo and match. He says stuff like "You wan't to succeed? You have to go through me, otherwise you are nothing.", "Face to face with the man who runs the place" etc. He is arrogant, he laughs at the boo's, he welcomes them with his sly smile and ignores them.

He attaches himself to anyone with any bit of spotlight to steal it from them. He steals all the storylines. The guys ego is massive.

These are classic heel tactics 101. Cena is the best heel since HHH in 2002-2004. I legit HATE cena. If I go to a WWE show I am scared I might actually jump the rail to attack him. Yes, he angers me that much.

The fact that a scripted character ensues such an emotion from you just goes to show how great of a character he is. Also, Superman has openly mocked Lex Luthor and other villains plenty of times. He's still a hero.

Cena is the Gamera of wrestling: Loved by kids, hated by adults. If adults do cheer for him, it is because they want to seem "cool" to their kids. Wrestling fans that will boo him are WRESTLING fans that go to Indy shows and watch NXT. That will not change. Cena, in essence, has picked up the torch first lit by Bob Backlund over 36 years ago. Backlund was the Cena of his era, and really changed the business to where someone like Cena could thrive.

It literally shows the exact opposite of what you are saying. It shows the idiocy of the Cena detractors. He has only ever done what Creative gave him to do. There have been several times throughout his career that they move him aside to let other talent succeed, they just can't make it, CM Punk was one of the last that they tried it with.
By your logic, people should start chanting "Let's go Creative! / Creative Sucks!" then, since Cena is only doing what creative asked him to do? Creative asked him to stand up for what's right, creative asked him to never give up, creative asked him to hug children, and so on.
Also, Apart from a few CM Punk-Jeff Hardy and Triple-H-Randy Orton matches from 2008-09, I cannot think of any other instance of Cena getting "moved aside" from the main-event spot in favour of any other talent that wasn't already established. Even then, he either held or was competing for the other World championship, so he wasn't really moved aside in its real sense.

Hating Cena because he used to close PPVs down is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I guess that Stone Cold being in the Main Event made you mad in the late 90s, too, right? Or the Rock in the early 2000s?

Or maybe Cena closing shows for the majority of 9 straight years, ~400 RAWs, and ~100 PPVs, winning 15 world titles in the period, with the same old and tired act, was actually too much to digest for many? Even during Punk's 434-day title reign, John Cena regularly closed shows. e.g. John Cena def. Brock Lesnar (why?) (Extreme Rules 2012), John Cena vs John Laurinaitis (Over the Limit 2012), John Cena vs Big Show (No Way Out 2012), John Cena vs Big Show vs Jericho vs Kane vs Miz (MITB 2012)... Are you seriously comparing these with WWE Championship matches featuring the likes of The Rock, Stone Cold and Triple-H?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back