• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is ECW Bourne again?

tehblogger

The Young God, walking abroad
I've been watching vids on Youtube of this Sydal/Bourne chap from his Indy days and...wow. It's just superhuman. He really can fly. Watching that Frankensteiner with the recipient sitting on the top rope...beyond incredible. WWE can't let this kid go to waste. For now they seem to setting him up to feud with Chavo, which can't be a bad thing because Chavo knows how to make people look good, but beyond that?

I reckon either bring back the cruiserweight belt, and stick it on him, or give him the ECW title by the end of the year. Both the cruiserweight division and ECW as a whole have taken a really bad beating lately: I think Bourne could definitely make people care again. He would be a genuinely "extreme" ECW champion, and he has that "wow what the fuck did I just see" quality that appeals to all genders and ages. Despite his size, his ridiculous skill level means that him going over the big guys is credible, and he's not Mysterio-tiny anyway.

And if he's shit on the mic, so who cares? The fans clearly are starting to love him. And if didn't take drugs, Jeff Hardy would be WWE champion/WHC right about now. Despite the fact that he's SO poor on the mic. With a moveset like he has...why does Sydal need words?

Honestly, I think they're giving the guy more license thatn they usually do. I mean they allowed him to do the shooting star, despite it being a banned move. It shows that they're willing to let him take the risks because he's shown he can do them well.

I like what i've seen of him. I mean the guy is clearly very good at kicks and on his feet, yet flies about. He reminds me a little of RVD with the variety of offense. If he can get over on the standard that Jeff has, they'll be hard pressed not to build him to mid-card title/main event level.

If he's weak on the mic though, that's the only thing that could stop him getting there. Take Jeff...he's over, he's entertaining, but the mic work has held him back. Guys who are good on the mic generate the interest - Rock, Austin, Hogan, Cena. THey make up for any perceived lack of ability by being better than most on the mic. If Bourne can master the mic, he'll get to the top soon enough. If not, Benjamin and Hardy and good in the ring, but struggled to the top.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the guy

Personally, I think they shouldn't hot-shot him a title. I'm a big fan of the "rising the ranks" concept of the old days (wherein like, you'd win a tag team title, make a name for yourself, win the IC title once or twice, then move up and win the WWE title and stay in the main event). Hot-shotting titles to people belittles it, I think, and it ends up coming off as "we really, really, really want you to just like this guy, please, cause we think he's marketable".

But Bourne is a great talent. What I'd really like to see them do is tag-team him with Rey Mysterio. I'd love to see the two of them as a mentor/apprentice role, but WITHOUT the standard "younger talent turns on the mentor and claims he's better, then they feud" type of storyline. I say, team them up and either give them the tag titles or just have them come out to each other's matches like Dreamer/Delaney were doing. Then, Mysterio could effectively pass the torch as the babyface high-flyer of the company that the kids like from himself onto Bourne, as Mysterio only has a few years (5 max, I'd say) before retiring.

Bourne/Sydal is truly the best thing in ECW.. hell WWE for a while and hes not even on every ones radar yet. What WWE should do is a cross brand match up with either Raw or Smackdown to get him more exposure to a larger TV audience. This might lead to more people tuning in to Sci-Fi just to watch him. It would really be a sight to see if RVD came back to feud with him. and E-pollywally i agree with you on WWE being more easy on him for moves. This should set an example to other WWE and potential WWE wrestlers in the future that if your damn good at what you do or kiss enough ass.. you can do it.

Bourne is just the kind of thing that ECW needs he is entertaining and has you in Awe the whole match. He has alot of potential to become one of the next big things. He has Charisma and has proved he can wrestle lets just hope he is as good on the Mic as what he is in the Ring becouse it would be the only thing holding him back, But then again he might not get held back becouse he is on ECW and you dont really need to be great on the Mic to be champion on ECW, Just look at Chris Benoit and well Matt hardy. Bourne has done nothing but impress me I hope he keeps it up.

Bourne is truly a rose in the bed of thorns that is ECW. Metaphors aside though, I used to never watch ECW, but after all the discussion about this guy I now watch it every week.

Bourne is a great high flyer and with WWE letting him use the SSP, I see him pushing boundaries with his moveset. The feud with Chavo should be brill, as he has always been good in the ring and so should work well with Bourne. As for his future I think he will be slowly built up into, as said by NoFate007, the successor to Mysterio's role as babyface high flyer.

As shit as ECW has been recently, with the so far failed talent initiative and Henry as champ, Bourne is a real shining light.

I'm thinking this guy could be the real deal. He's nothing short of a breath of fresh air. No one else can do a SSP like he can, at least not that I've seen in a logn time. The grabbing of his feet behind him is nothing short of amazing. While his size is obviously a detriment, he manages to make it work. The feud with Chavo is a sign that there could be something put into this kid as he's being put with a "main eventer." This could be just what ECW needs: Someone unique, which Bourne definitely is.

I don't agree that giving anyone a hot shot run to a big title run works well for the person involved. Unless a man is established as a wrestler, he just fails to get over. Take Santino - the man failed to get over as champion because people didn't know what he can do.

I would like to see them build bourne up slowly, like Nofate has already stated. Matt Sydal is quite clearly a very VERY talented wrestler and is trusted to do things the more experienced guys seem to be forbidden from doing. I think if WWE can continue the slow pushes they seem to be giving their guys like Kennedy and MVP - guys we seem to be almost ready to give the title to.

If Sydal continues to improve, and given how good he looks, I could see him taking a title within the year. Not a major one, I think he'll have to wait until he can prove he can handle the responsibility of carrying a company, and that takes time and experience

Aye. This all sort of ties in with this whacky little idea I have that the ECW champion should be somehow "extreme". Not necessarily booked as dominantly as the WWE/WHC champ, but definitely able to compete with them by virtue of "extremity". So not Matt Hardy, who's about as bland as supermarket cheddar cheese. But in weird sort of way Henry isn't so bad, and Bourne would be outright amazing. But I agree, don't rush him.

I like the idea of Bourne and Mysterio teaming up, with a passing-the-torch theme. Isn't it annoying they're on different shows? Rey really should be on ECW. Stupid Draft. The mainly-cruiserweight roster suits his size, and he is absolutely extreme. Provided he stays injury-free for a bit, I think he'd be a great ECW champ. Not that Rey's my absolute favourite, but he's a million times better than Matt bloody Hardy (who's just the other one, the one who doesn't jump off high things).

Man, everyone hates on Matt Hardy like he's John Cena these days. But I'll save that for another thread.

Evan Bourne is probably my favoirte on the ECW roster these days, however I don't know that I'm ready to hail him as the second coming. He has a more than impressive hurricanrana, but I saw him do it two or three times in one match, and it sort of bugged me. I like to see a little variety in matches. My biggest problem with guys like Jeff Hardy, Rey and now Bourne (as well as a gaggle of others) is flipping and flying does not make a match.

Its the actual holds, at least for me, in between the flying that makes a wrestler entertaining to watch. Give me some chain wrestling and a few actual holds other than headlocks and build the match and then bust out a a high impact, "extreme" move.

I love his shooting star press. While me and my girldfirend were watching ECW the other night I even mentioned to her that I thought it was better than Kidman's. Then, as she loves Kidman more than she ever could me, she wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the night.

I'd say a tag-team title would suit him well, but it wouldn't as tag ttiles mean nothing in WWE, and he isn't ready for a US or IC title run yet. He could probably benefit the most from a returning cruiserweight title. And in a maybe a few years I could see him starting to climb the ranks to a major singles title.

An actual yearly King of The Ring tournament could help build him too. Maybe not to win, but to advance to a latter round by going over an established character. But my thoughts on KOTR, like my initial thoughts on Matt Hardy, can be saved for another thread.

Yes ECW has become Airbourne. Airbourne with this fantastic star Evan Bourne. The guy is phenomenal, when I first saw him I never though he would do much. But when he finished with the Shooting Star Press I really started to think he might get somewhere.

The guy has a great moveset, he is decent on the mic and people seem to want to get behind him. The only thing that could hold him abck is his size, being that size makes it harder to get over. But Rey Mastrio did it (I can't stop calling him that now) so why can't Bourne. Rey Mastrio started on ECW, and so is Bourne.

I actually think that Bourne will do well to get over, as long as they don't ruin the chances with this kid, or he ruins his own chance. Everything should be fine.

This guy has so much talent i am simply amazed by him.Ecw has become so much more fun because of this high-flyer i just hope he keeps on getting pushed and challenges rey mysterio that could be possibly one of the best feuds in wwe history

Matt Sydal a.k.a. Evan Bourne is something special. Hey, he even made a jaded wrestling fan like me mark out with over 6 "holy sh*t" moments in one match. He's just...he has a gift. If talent gave you title reigns in WWE (which doesn't seem to be the case, always) he would have at least 7 WWE Championship reigns before his career in WWE ends, not to mention all the mid-tier and tag championships. WWE really did a great job with signing Sydal. Now, if they could only get Danielson as well...

I agree, he should be in the higher pictures and we just need to see more roleplaying from him. He needs to speak as much as he wrestles.
I also don't think anybody should call him Matt Sydal as long as he's in the WWE, he goes by the WWE ring name.

I haven't seen much of Matt Sydal's (or Evan Bourne's) stuff in the WWE, but I've got to say from what I've seen he's pretty impressive. His style is pretty spotty, but the transitions from move to move make sense, and that makes him great. He is definitely a talent that should not be over looked. He has a great moveset, decent on the mic, and is getting over with the fans.

Sure Bourne lacks of size, but many wrestlers have overcome their "small" physics, and done big things. I think he should stay on ECW for a while, develop his character, style, and become more experienced. Then he can make his move over to Smackdown (which won't make much of a difference due to the "talent exchange"), and he could vie for the US title.

Overall, he's a great talent that hopefully will not be over looked.

ECW deffinately isn't my favorite of the three brands, but Bourne makes it much more enjoyable to watch. He's good on and off the ground, and not all people are like that. If he keeps it up and gets better on the mic, he could really go far. I think Chavo is the perfect person to put him over, too.

I never used to watch ECW much, we don't get it here so I had to get it off Dailymotion, so one week I checked it out, and I saw Mr. Evan Bourne, and now I make sure each week I get on Dailymotion, if only to watch whatever match he had on ECW. His matches are fairly entertaining, and it's clear he's highly athletic, that shooting star press is just beautiful, first time I saw it, my mouth dropped and I watched it again and again, only thing that could hold him back is the lack of a title suitable for someone his size to go after and his mic skills (his voice is higher than mine:p) However, if they bring back the CW title or join him up with someone, I could see him with the tag titles soon.

Like someone said, IMO, Chavo is the perfect person for his first real feud ( that Mike Knox shit doesnt count), a veteran who's capable of getting heel heat, La Familia could even get involved,elevating Bourne even more, plus their styles complement each other and could make for some very interesting matchups.

This Evan Bourne kid is nothing short of incredible, and his shooting star press in amazing. I remember a year or so back I was browsing youtube videos and came across one of his matches. Needless to say I was instantly impressed by his high flying abilities. ECW is that much better for having him on the roster. I'll have to agree with the previously mentioned feud with Chavo too. I think Chavo is a very solid worker, and he and Bourne will have some incredible matches.

It's just a shame that guys like Evan Bourne have pretty much nothing to strive for on ECW other than an opportunity to get over. I think The ECW Television Title should be re-instated so guys like Bourne and MIZ will have more purpose on the show. Seriously, could you imagine the possibilities of a roster wide round robin tournament to crown a new Television Champion? I think it would make for some great wrestling on a show that's more often than not hit or miss, and it could make instant contenders out of the Superstar Initiative guys...

They should really bring back the CW title, I think Bourne could snatch that up in an instant.
And I totally agree with all of you who said it, his shooting star press is totally amazing. The fact that the WWE even let him use this move tells you that he's gonna go far and I'm looking forward to watching him progress over time.

I decided to check on Youtube who this guy was. I've watched every single match of his in WWE since. And i never watch WWE anymore.
This guy could carry the US title, maybe the ECW title. He is a really talented guy and his Shooting Star Press is beautiful. I just wish they let him do his moonsault slam off the top rope, but since they let him use his Shooting Star Press means he has got to be extremely talented. Every match i have seen him in has been exciting, but i wonder how he would go in a 10 minute match, as his matches have been very short

I like Bourne. IF the WWE pushes him right he may very well be a IC or US champ some day. He is athletic enough from what I've seen of him in TNA he has good charisma. Vince and company trusts him enough to let him use a move they banned (Shooting Star Press). If they push him the right way I see nothing but good things coming from Evan Bourne.

Bourne is doing very well for himself. He already had his own style down from his time in the indies so he didn't have to spend three years learning his craft which just gets annoying after awhile having to wait for people. Bourne could be soemthign like a next Rey with his size and stature being what they are. He's got the high flying style for a small guy down and his offense is unique enough to make it work. I definitely like what I've seen so far and bourne is definitely the highlight of ECW for me.

I agree with most of the comments, Bourne is a class act. I think a feud with Chavo is the best way to go for now, but the WWE should look to establish a meaningful cruiserweight division over time. The talent is there but in the past has been used poorly. I think guys like Bourne, Chavo and possibly a returning Gregory Helms could set the bar high for a new cruiserweight title.

I just hope they don't start him feuding with Big Show or some other big guy, at least for the time being let him stick to what he's really good at!

Bourne is amazing.. I haven't been able to watch much of him yet but have read everything he's done and I get excited.. This guy who just started on ecw, what, a month ago? And already has made a name for himself.. Hopefully they keep him where he is for now until helms return.. Cause those two can probably put on great matches.. I know there are already a lot of titles but they should bring the cruiserweight title to ecw and showcase guys like chavo, bourne, colin, helms, moore, wang and whoever else would now show case in the cw division.. Things has happened In the past with things not working out like the title and the brand only ppvs.. But now they are ready for everything because they are in a better place now.. They have pushed unknown names to a point where fans get to kno them.. Bourne is the next great superstar that we can now invision him holding any wwe title just because he's that damn good..

I Love This Guy :D

WOW ! He Can Do Some Extraordinary Moves
And What Ive Seen On Youtube His Best Moves He Isnt Even Using In Wwe I Wonder Why They Wont Let Him Use Themm I Know They Might Be Risky But They Are Exciting Edge Of Your Seat Moves , He Has One Of The Best Hurricanna's I Have Ever Seen

Why Dont They At Summerslam Or The Next PPV Add An Extra 15 Mins Which Woulldnt Hurt Anyone And
Have Evan Airbourne Vs Chavo

Wwe Only Give Ecw 15 Mins A Show Which Is Terrible At Least 30 Mins
Whats The Point Of Themm Building Sotrylinnes If They Cant End At A Ppv

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back