IGN's Top 50 Wrestlers of All Time...

I'll take the only year I ever liked Orton (2011) and put it up against Booker T's whole career in terms of mic work and in the ring.

Could have been much worse.

I like the list of names they have; the ordering of them just kind of sucks.

There seems to be absolutely zero sustaining criteria for this list. Basically, this just seems like some fans list, a fan who didn't bother to take anything into account aside from his own fandom.
I COMPLETELY agree with this statement. It seems like the criteria is all over with most on this list being "the status quo".

Jeff Hardy shouldn't be anywhere near a list like this.
If it is truely best WRESTLER of all time then guys like Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Andre The Giant, & John Cena shouln't be on it.
I think both Kane & Rick Martel should be on the list!
CM Punk, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, & Curt Hennig should all be much higher!
Sting & Rocky should not be out ranking the likes of Steamboat & Savage.
And JERRY LAWYER?!??!

I COMPLETELY agree with this statement. It seems like the criteria is all over with most on this list being "the status quo".

Jeff Hardy shouldn't be anywhere near a list like this.
If it is truely best WRESTLER of all time then guys like Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Andre The Giant, & John Cena shouln't be on it.
I think both Kane & Rick Martel should be on the list!
CM Punk, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, & Curt Hennig should all be much higher!
Sting & Rocky should not be out ranking the likes of Steamboat & Savage.
And JERRY LAWYER?!??!

Are you ******ed?

A guy like Randy Orton doesn't have the talent to be on this list either, but its tough to argue against him simply due to his title accomplishments, the same case can be made for Booker who was a little better(or atleast comparable depending on your taste) in the ring and much better on the mic than Orton.

1. Orton is superior to Booker T (start to finish) in every imaginable way.

2. Orton is the second biggest name of his generation, behind John Cena.

3. Ten time world champion, main-evented WrestleMania, etc.

He belongs, and most certainly has the talent to be there. Believing otherwise makes you look like a total dope.

i think This list could be worst. I do respect the work it takes to actually compile them...and all the sh** you have to put up with since there is no way to please the whole wrestling world.

but my top wrestlers is a 3 way tie between savage,the rock,bret hart.

1. Orton is superior to Booker T (start to finish) in every imaginable way.

2. Orton is the second biggest name of his generation, behind John Cena.

He belongs, and most certainly has the talent to be there. Believing otherwise makes you look like a total dope.

I agree Orton's better than Booker T and that he should be on the list. It goes without saying really but the bolded sentence annoys me. CM Punk is ahead of Orton. Call me an annoying fanboy or whatever you want, CM Punk's shoot drew more interest than the entirety of Orton's career. And his match with Cena at Money In The Bank was more exciting than the entirety of Orton's career. The best of Orton is his feuds with Triple H & Christian. His feud with Christian being on the "B-Show" and the one with HHH being ultimately dissatisfying. So yeah, take a good look at the crowds and you'll see that everyone is wearing a certain Punk's t-shirt. Fuck, does Orton even have merchandise anymore? I don't believe I've seen him wear any during those compelling feuds with Kane, Ziggler and Del Rio.

I agree Orton's better than Booker T and that he should be on the list. It goes without saying really but the bolded sentence annoys me. CM Punk is ahead of Orton. Call me an annoying fanboy or whatever you want, CM Punk's shoot drew more interest than the entirety of Orton's career. And his match with Cena at Money In The Bank was more exciting than the entirety of Orton's career. The best of Orton is his feuds with Triple H & Christian. His feud with Christian being on the "B-Show" and the one with HHH being ultimately dissatisfying. So yeah, take a good look at the crowds and you'll see that everyone is wearing a certain Punk's t-shirt. Fuck, does Orton even have merchandise anymore? I don't believe I've seen him wear any during those compelling feuds with Kane, Ziggler and Del Rio.

Punk was hot off that shoot for about a month and he couldn't even main event two PPV's without John Cena.

Actually, I would put Orton a smidge behind Batista so Punk can be content being 4th.

Punk was hot off that shoot for about a month and he couldn't even main event two PPV's without John Cena.

Yet, he's held the title all year, longer than even Cena held it, and just main-evented Hell In A Cell with Ryback. And he's about to face The Rock. So the WWE has actually unofficially deemed Punk the second biggest name in WWE at the moment, after Cena. By choosing him to face The Rock directly after Cena.

Actually, I would put Orton a smidge behind Batista so Punk can be content being 4th.

Ahh, forgot about that veiny son of a gun. Yes, he's certainly in the mix. Punk still being in front of Orton.

Where's EL Santo? You know, Mexico's biggest draw. If Mascaras, Thesz, Gagne, and Liger all made the list then where is he? The smell of failure is in the air.

I fully admitted that Orton deserved his spot due to his accomplishments(though he's probably too high). As for his talent... the guy has a good look, a good pedigree, and elite level psychology. Conversely, he is bland and limited on the mic, his movements in the ring are too stiff/robotic, and his offense is too one note. He only has one gear(which is a little plodding), he has one expression/demeanor(that got old years ago), and he takes himself far too seriously.

The cons weigh just as heavily as the pros for Orton. He's just not what people want to make him out to be.

But, he has enough world titles to insure a spot on a list like this, even I can admit that. But I think despite any flaws you list(and I recognize there are many), the same case could easily be made for Booker.

I don't care strongly either way to be clear, I was just pointing out the resume. I feel far more strongly about the omissions of Kerry Von Erich and Brian Pillman. They shouldn't even be argued against, both definitely deserve spots.

As for guys that I would take off the list: Big Show for sure, probably Hardy as well, after that you're splitting hairs between a few other guys.

Now I will sit back and await getting flamed by Orton fanboys.

Complete fan list.

To make a "real" list of the top wrestlers in the world is very difficult and there are too many factors to input as criteria.

I fully admitted that Orton deserved his spot due to his accomplishments(though he's probably too high). As for his talent... the guy has a good look, a good pedigree, and elite level psychology. Conversely, he is bland and limited on the mic, his movements in the ring are too stiff/robotic, and his offense is too one note. He only has one gear(which is a little plodding), he has one expression/demeanor(that got old years ago), and he takes himself far too seriously.

The cons weigh just as heavily as the pros for Orton. He's just not what people want to make him out to be.

But, he has enough world titles to insure a spot on a list like this, even I can admit that. But I think despite any flaws you list(and I recognize there are many), the same case could easily be made for Booker.

I don't care strongly either way to be clear, I was just pointing out the resume. I feel far more strongly about the omissions of Kerry Von Erich and Brian Pillman. They shouldn't even be argued against, both definitely deserve spots.

As for guys that I would take off the list: Big Show for sure, probably Hardy as well, after that you're splitting hairs between a few other guys.

Now I will sit back and await getting flamed by Orton fanboys.

Tell me about these four words since I know they're bullshit but I would like to hear it from you.

I'll tell you about it. Randy Orton fucking sucks on the stick. The man hasn't cut a good promo since like 2007 as a matter of fact the only promo I ever remember him cutting was the "Eddie's in hell" promo that was in 06 and that was memorable for all the wrong reasons. Randy Orton can have some good matches I'm not sure he deserves the 10 world titles he's recieved though. And in all honesty he was only the number 2 face because Batista left and then after that Edge retired. Without those two things happening Orton nor Punk would have even sniffed number two. Randy Orton sucks however I don't believe Booker T or Orton deserve to be on the list and the only reason Orton is on the list is because of title reigns.

As a matter of fact I can't even see how you would think those four words are bullshit I thought everybody felt like Randy Orton's promos were boring as shit

I'll tell you about it. Randy Orton fucking sucks on the stick. The man hasn't cut a good promo since like 2007 as a matter of fact the only promo I ever remember him cutting was the "Eddie's in hell" promo that was in 06 and that was memorable for all the wrong reasons. Randy Orton can have some good matches I'm not sure he deserves the 10 world titles he's recieved though. And in all honesty he was only the number 2 face because Batista left and then after that Edge retired. Without those two things happening Orton nor Punk would have even sniffed number two. Randy Orton sucks however I don't believe Booker T or Orton deserve to be on the list and the only reason Orton is on the list is because of title reigns.

Edge wasn't even the number two face when he retired. Quit being silly.

As Dig Bick Nudley has pointed out - or at least I think it was him - Orton can, and has, cut promos with all the charisma at his disposal, which is plenty, prior to his Viper character. He talks slowly, deliberately, concisely and with perfect diction. He cuts promos like a man that knows he can kick your arse and is going to prove it by, you know, kicking your arse rather than running his mouth. It's not exactly nuclear war on the fourth of July, but on the other end you have Punk's promos against Triple H, when he come over as less of a badass and more of a whiny schoolchild.

Yes, I just compared Randy Orton's promo skills favourably to CM Punk's. That just happened.

If Randy Orton starts verbally eviscerating his opponents then his character has failed. Pipe bomb.

Tell me about these four words since I know they're bullshit but I would like to hear it from you.

First let's be clear... I didn't say Orton can't talk, or that he sucks on the mic. I said his mic work is bland and limited. I stick by that.

When Orton was younger and in his legend killer days I actually thought he was capable of cutting some fairly entertaining promos; however, as he has settled into the "viper" gimmick his mic work has gone the same direction as the rest of skills(meaning slower, blander, more robotic). The character gives him an excuse to be slower and more methodical in the ring, which was okay at first due to his high level psychology, but as time has gone on Orton seems to have started to feel that the slow deliberate nature of his work is equivilent to psychology in and of itself- which is bullshit. This attitude has dripped over into his mic work which is increasingly nothing more than monotone dribble only there to due the bare minimum needed to progress the story. A gimmick is no excuse to fully remove emotion or inflection from your speach/actions.

Can Orton get the point across in a clear and concise enough manner? Sure. But it is sad if we are to a point where that is all that matters. His promos say nothing that has any real substance and his character is unable to sell a feud due to the bare minimum tactics that he has grasped so firmly onto with the stick and increasingly in the ring to boot.

Thank god that they plan to work him opposite Ziggler for his major program next year, because Ziggler will get to show just how far he has come, being as the success of the angles that will be presented will fall almost fully onto his shoulders. The only meaningful programs Orton has been in the last couple years saw him matched up against Punk and Christian, two guys who drarf him from a personality/charisma perspective.

Why do you think all other top carders at Orton's level in the WWE have gotten consistent mic time regardless of their character- be it Cena, Punk, Jericho, Triple H, Rock, Austin, Edge, etc., while Orton's mic time is very limited and kept to the minimum amount both in terms of length and message? Hell the only other guy who has spent significant time at the very top while cutting so few memorable/meaningful promos is Lesnar, and Lesnar is incapable of "talking the talk".

I really feel that Orton is in "shut-down mode" with this face run and is determined to keep it on auto-pilot until he gets the heel turn he wants. Basically he is pouting so-to-speak on camera to a degree the same way he allegedly pouts backstage. His blandness speaks volumes and I can't believe other people see it otherwise.

He says only what has to be said in the most matter-of-fact manner possible with zero conviction, but he doesn't trip over himself doing it- that's my defintion of bland and limited, and purely blaming it on the gimmick is a cop-out. Right now he is no better on the mic than Matt Morgan was in his last high card face run in TNA, and that's not a comparison you want.

Here's what I want you to do.

1. Take a look at the characters of all those wrestlers you mentioned play.

2. Take a look at what character Orton plays.

3. Take a look at what character Lesnar plays.

4. Smack yourself in the face.

5. Repeat Step 4 because you said that the success will fall on Ziggler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back