8. Sting
7. The Rock
6. Ric Flair
5. Bret Hart
4. Steve Austin
3. Hulk Hogan
2.The Undertaker
1. Shawn Michaels

Here's the full article if you want to read it http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/top-50-wrestlers-of-all-time

Agree or Disagree with the list or some of the rankings placement?

I believe Kane should be on the list, John Cena should be ranked higher, and Sting and A.J Styles should both be ranked lower.

HBK should not be that high. Good showman, yes, but a terrible draw and surpassed by nearly everyone else in the top 10.

There seems to be absolutely zero sustaining criteria for this list. Basically, this just seems like some fans list, a fan who didn't bother to take anything into account aside from his own fandom.

Damn it :p Somebody else beat me to this thread! I have been trying to get to 10 posts tonight so I could make this, but alas, it didn't work out. So, anyway, I am going to treat this like this isn't the spam section. So prepare for longness:

I thought about this a lot last night, knowing that this list was going to come out. In fact, I spent the majority of last night thinking over this question. This age old, eternal question that might never be answered: "Who is the Best Wrestler of All Time?" See, that is a tricky question because so many people base their opinion on different factors: drawing ability, performance in the ring, performance out of the ring, merchandise sales, championships, technicality in the ring, championships, etc.... In the end, I decided that there are only seven guys in the history of this industry that you could classify as the best wrestler of all time, all for different, but equally good reasons, and amazingly enough, it is the top seven of this list:

The Undertaker: Best Big Man in the History of Professional Wrestling. There are a lot of people who can make a case for Andre The Giant to have this distinction, and they would not be wrong in their arguments, but in my opinion nobody The Undertaker's size has had the in-ring ability that he possesses. The man is able to do move's designed for men much smaller than him with ease, and it is a wonder to watch.

Bret Hart: Best Technical Wrestler Ever. Again, there are other people who can lay claim to this title (Kurt Angle, Owen Hart, and Chris Benoit spring to mind), but in my opinion, Bret Hart is the best in this regard. He could wrestle circles around an opponent, and make his opponent look foolish for even daring to step into the ring with him and try to take things to the mat.

The Rock: Best Performer Ever on the Mic. Again, other people can make this claim (Piper, Savage, Hogan, Flair, to name a few), but good god, when the Rock holds a microphone you are captivated. He is enthralling and hilarious and poignent all at the same time which is a difficult thing to achieve.

Hulk Hogan: The Most Influential Man to ever step foot inside the squared circle. Without Hogan, Wrestling would not be where it is at right now. Now, skeptics like me can make the argument that without Vince and the platform he provided, then Hogan wouldn't be the Superstar he became. They helped each other. But that is an argument for another time.

Ric Flair: The Greatest Champion Ever. And when I say champion, I mean World Champion. A guy who would travel all over the country, all over the world, to wrestle the best that other territories and industries had to offer, and draw massive money doing it. Nobody competed as much or as hard in this industry as Ric Flair did in the 80's.

Steve Austin: The Biggest Money Maker, The Biggest Draw this sport has ever seen, or ever will see. The Ratings that this man brought in, the merchandise this man sold, the money this man brought in during the Attitude Era is astronomical. I still see people, to this day, who I know don't watch Pro Wrestling, wearing Austin 3:16 shirts.

Shawn Michaels: The Greatest In-Ring Performer this industry has ever seen. No Man provided more memorable matches than Shawn Michaels. Not just on the Wrestlemania stage either. But in House Shows (Correct me if I am wrong, but the first Ladder Match ever in the WWF happened between HBK and Bret Hart at a house show, right? I could be completely wrong in that), Raw (Shelton Benjamin 2005, and the hour long epic against John Cena spring to mind), lesser PPV's (Mind Games against Mankind, and The first HIAC against Taker at Bad Blood '97) Big, Non-Wrestlemania PPV's (1998 Casket Match vs Taker at Royal Rumble, and Summerslam 2002 vs HHH) and, of course, at Wrestlemania (I don't even need to go there). It didn't matter what the stage, you knew, as a fan, that when Shawn Michaels entered the ring, you were in for nothing less than a three star match. I don't think HBK ever had a stinker, but again, I could be wrong in that.

So yeah, IMO, The Greatest of All Time is one of these seven guys. Personally, for me, it is HBK, but you are not wrong if you choose someone else. It is all just a matter of what you value most as a pro wrestling fan.

There seems to be absolutely zero sustaining criteria for this list. Basically, this just seems like some fans list, a fan who didn't bother to take anything into account aside from his own fandom.

Most lists like this are. Even the one done on the forums earlier this year, where we all sent in lists and somebody compiled them into one super list, there wasn't really any criteria. It's all opinion; there is no objective set of standards for what people care about in pro wrestling. Some people like their flips and tricks, others like their submission holds. Some even really like the soap opera aspect of "sports entertainment". It's a fake sport. Every title, win and loss is a facet of entertainment meant to draw money. You can't put real standards on fake statistics; it doesn't clear things up any, and you're never going to get enough people to agree to make it a reality. At the end of the day, all you have is subjectivity.

That being said, while I have some issues with the list - who doesn't? - I was happy to see the "old school" names get their due. Too many "best of all time" lists completely forget guys like Buddy Rodgers and Lou Thesz. They're more like "best of the last 20 years" lists, if that. IGN's compilation isn't terrible.

It is a bit 2000 centred. If you were making a more balanced list I'm sure a good 3-5 names from the early 80s and before would be breaching that top 10. Steamboat is too high though.

Most lists like this are. Even the one done on the forums earlier this year, where we all sent in lists and somebody compiled them into one super list, there wasn't really any criteria. It's all opinion;
I understand what you're saying, and it's a fair point, but it also reduces the credibility of your list to nothing. It no longer becomes something worth putting value in and instead becomes something that's only done because it's fun for the publisher.

On his weekly wrestling wrap up Matt Fowler just asked people to vote for their favourite wrestler by clicking a button.

A list without Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin at #1 means jack shit. There's no way in hell Shawn Michaels is the greatest wrestler of all time, that's just foolish. I love Bret Hart, probably my favorite wrestler of all time (along with Austin). However, Bret isn't #1, no matter how much I like him. He isn't #2. He isn't #3, and so on. This is why these lists are annoying. Come to think of it, I shouldn't even bother clicking on these links.

I believe Kane should be on the list

He really shouldn't be.

John Cena should be ranked higher

He should probably be ranked ahead of Ricky Steamboat. That's about as high as he should go, right now.

Sting and A.J Styles should both be ranked lower.

I'm guessing you didn't watch WCW. A.J. Styles has the talent to be on this list, but I'm not exactly sure what most believe he has actually accomplished, so I somewhat agree.

As previously mentioned, Stone Cold or Hogan really should be #1, and I suppose an argument could be made for The Rock to be first too, speaking of which The Rock is despicably low. Surprised by Big Show's inclusion, but then again the list altogether just isn't that good. Shawn Michaels shouldn't be in the top five let alone first.

As for what you've said:

John Cena should be ranked higher? Yes, he should.

Sting should be ranked lower? No, higher if anything. I've never seen an AJ Styles match, so I won't comment on him.

If Big Show's on the list I can see why you'd think Kane should be. Not a lot seperates the two.

Where are Booker T, Mr. Perfect and Ultimate Warrior?

AJ Styles is cool and all, but there is no way I put him on the list and not the 5-time WCW Champion. To not have Booker on the list is a complete joke.

If I ask casual wrestling fans who Booker T, Sting, Mr. Perfect, The Rock, Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan are, they would know.

If I asked them who AJ Styles is, they wouldn't know.

Lost all credibility when Muta was ranked lower than Ultimo Dragon and Liger. Also, a glaring absence of a certain Cincinnati-born wrestler from the mid-80's to mid-90's reduces its cred....

IGN struggles with videogame lists. As if they could wander out of their jurisdiction and be any less than shit.

I'd like Batista a lot less if it weren't for the incredible Brotista period.

B9JPK.jpg

If it were a list which were exclusively "ring technicians" - or something equally pretentious - then one can imagine Joe being on there without Batista. As it is, it's all over the fucking place.

You thinking Booker T needs to be on there is criminal.

Booker T can stay on that milk carton.

I don't care to strongly either way, but since this list has no criteria, I think his resume is hard to deny...

Just in WCW/WWE(F)
5 time World Champion
14 time World Tag Champion
4 time US Champion
2 time IC Champion
6 time TV Champion
1 time King of the Ring

That's a pretty impressive haul.

A guy like Randy Orton doesn't have the talent to be on this list either, but its tough to argue against him simply due to his title accomplishments, the same case can be made for Booker who was a little better(or atleast comparable depending on your taste) in the ring and much better on the mic than Orton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back