If Paul Burchill and Creative were smart, They'd Re-Debut the Pirate Gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Stinger A. Zoidberg

Stay in school and don't litter.
Now I know I bash the PG Era alot, however I realize that it will stick around for a while, so During that time why not re-debut Paul Burchill's Pirate Gimmick?

Although I was about 20-21 years old when this Gimmick first came to fruition, I personally loved it. However, At that time, the WWE wasnt using a PG rating. Now, I think it would work perfectly for Burchill and his career.

Put it this way, If Burchill was to go back to being a pirate, he would be in for the biggest push of his life because kids LOVE pirates. Now he doesnt have to come back with the sword that he pulls on people, That he can live without. But, come back with the attire, the pirate language, the jumping onto the ramp from a rope, the pirate music. It would work perfectly.

Put him back on Smackdown, that is the only place that gimmick would be able to work because that is the show the kids watch the most. Burchill could easily be a top midcard type of guy, feuding with the likes of Morrison, McIntyre, Mysterio, Escobar, etc. Hell, throw him in the main event picture for a while, It'll work, and it will possibly bring the ratings up a bit.

What do you think?

Hey they have most of the roster making fools of them self by either dancing, rapping, dressing up, playing with midgets, or basically just doing nothing but jobbing so anything is worth trying.

He'll be a hell of a lot more over than he is now as Burchill or as the Ripper which they've completely ruined. The guy draws heat like an ice cube right now, so whether he's a pirate or repackaged it doesn't matter. Just do something to make the crowd give a shit about the guy, because I think he is good in the ring and is underrated in his ability to tell a story in the ring.

Now I know I bash the PG Era alot, however I realize that it will stick around for a while, so During that time why not re-debut Paul Burchill's Pirate Gimmick?

YES, BRING BACK THE PIRATE!!!! I can't possibly agree more. He was so entertaining as the pirate. I also think that right now would be a great time to bring back that character because of the PG rating and kids being the target market. "The Ripper" is interesting as a villain for the Hurricane to feud with.... but a couple of months out of 2 years being entertaining is sad when he could have just reverted to the pirate sooner. I pretty much agree with your entire post. Burchill would get far more over than he ever was if he went over to Smackdown and reverted to his pirate character because that was his best gimmick and it would fit even better today than it did back then. They should even bring back his pirate music and entrance too. It would be great and he would be entertaining again.

It wouldn't hurt to see the Pirate again. Burchill really didn't go any where with his current gimmick. The only reason I liked to watch him was because there was a chance to look at Katie Lea. His gimmick was boring, random, and he really just blended in. While the Pirate gimmick was unique, and fresh. The only problem is that Pirate character is sort of a comedy thing. If he were to use this gimmick again, and keep it for to long, then there's a chance nobody would take him seriously, if he were to change gimmicks again. Maybe a dark Pirate character would work?

It wouldn't hurt to see the Pirate again. Burchill really didn't go any where with his current gimmick. The only reason I liked to watch him was because there was a chance to look at Katie Lea. His gimmick was boring, random, and he really just blended in. While the Pirate gimmick was unique, and fresh. The only problem is that Pirate character is sort of a comedy thing. If he were to use this gimmick again, and keep it for to long, then there's a chance nobody would take him seriously, if he were to change gimmicks again. Maybe a dark Pirate character would work?

Maybe. A heel version of the pirate would be cool. However, people would never take him seriously before putting that "The Ripper" mask on either. Like you said, the only good thing about that version of Burchill was Katie Lea. The pirate wouldn't have to be a comedy gimmick, but even if it was.... any gimmick is better than no gimmick unless it's an awful one.... reverting to the pirate whether face or heel would benefit Paul because the pirate was far from awful.

Yes! I thought I was the only one who liked the pirate. Bring it back; dress Katie Lea like a wench, give her a parrot. Go over the top with it! Or even make Burchill a werewolf or vampire. Those are HUGE right now, and I think he could get over. Any change for him would be positive, but i did like him as a pirate.

I personally liked the Pirate idea and I think they pulled the plug too early. Put him with Katie Lea an you have something. She is being underutilized and she is a good wrestler. Watching her in a pirate wench outfit would be hot. I do think they could do it as a face personally. Have them come in and make a surprise save out of nowhere on Smackdown and wham they are back!

Could you imagine if CM Punk and Festus(his actual name is not memorable to remember) were giving the beat down to RTruth and Burchill and Katie show up to make the save out of nowhere?! Instant credibility and they are back on the scene.:lmao:

I enjoyed the Pirate character because it was just that .... "A Character". Which is something that WWE needs more of. I have seen it time and time again where fans respond much, much better to "characters and gimmicks" then they do to bland, toned-down "Personalities" like they do today.

I am unquestionably of the opinion that based on audience reaction and what I see on the Internet, today's Casual Fans prefer to participate in a WWE that is either "Real Life on Steroids" or even "Surreal" ... where as a good portion of the IWC (ROH-botz and "WWE Shareholders") prefer to see wrestling as 100% Realistic. The ROH-botz prefer that simply because that reflects their vision of how wrestling should be while the "Shareholders" simply go along with it because that's what Vince tells them is best for them.

But The Pirate was a colorful character that the fans responded to, and I think they could have done a lot more with him. I was there in Philly for a Dark Match when Shelly Martinez actually accompanied him as a Buxom Wench. Again, they gave him a great reaction and were into the character.

i would not mind seeing the pirate gimmick back, i liked that character they did pull the plug to soon on it, i would not mind seeing Katie Lea like as a wench. Also kids like pirates, plus the fans like the gimmicks more.

u think it could also work as a heel his pirate gimmick, it would be intresting to see a heel pirate evan if they didnt turn him heel it would be great to see him as a pirate again.

I personally have loved the Hurricane-Burchill feud just because its so ridiculously fun. Burchill has gone through great lengths to unmask The Hurricane to reveal him as Gregory Helms, to just going through great lengths to get a job back on ECW, only to be continuously foiled by The Hurricane. I liked where they were going with Burchill becoming the masked "Ripper" and I think they should keep having him come back week after week in all sorts of disguises until he remembers that he had some success as a pirate and destroys The Hurricane under that persona, using the C4 and all.

The feud could then escalate to them having all sorts of backstage hijinks where The Hurricane and Burchill wage war on each other. This is the type of comedy that people would enjoy from the WWE.

Uhh I don't know, I think if Birchill we're smart he'd leave the WWE and go to TNA. I think of anyone on the entire WWE roster should do it he should. I mean, The pirate was better than anything he's had going on recently but thats just because they never manage to push him. I mean they can repackage him all they want, if he's a jobber in every different incarnation he'll never really get over. He's jobbing to THE HURRICANE on ECW for gosh sakes, it really doesn't get lower than that if you're on television(Well Chavo VS Hornswaggle was worse, but thats about it).

Oh I would totally Love to see the Pirate gimmick again! He was so funny and interesting then, and people in the audience always seemed to respond great to it! I also think them coming to Smackdown as faces would be AWESOME. Especially, on Katie Lea's behalf! She is extremely underutilized in the Divas division, cause she can WRESTLE and is great in the ring, when they let her be. Plus, the Smackdown Diva's division needs another Face Diva, besides Mickie James, that can actually wrestle!!! I just hope they do get used well wherever they do go next!!

The Pirate was quite fun and I'd love to see it. Right now, Burchill's gimmick is rather stale, and I think he should actually have his Ripper gimmick still to assist in his feud with The Hurricane. Although, if he were the pirate we'd likely see the C4 again! Instead of that lame Darkness Buster and even lamer Curb Stomp.

If there is one thing I never get tired of posting about, its bringing back the Paul burchill pirate gimmick. I freaking loved this gimmick back when he had it, and he was pretty damn over with it, if I remember right. Oh, he cant be taken seriously or move up the card with such a silly gimmick? Well were the fuck on the card is he right now?

The WWE needs to figure out its best ways to maximize some guys. There is no way I can be convinced that the WWE stands to make more money off Burchill in his current status as a black hole of crowd reaction. Why, they could even make Katie Lea a buxom wench. Rockin.

Right now, Burchill is generic wrestler to the max. They made him drop the incest gimmick, which is a shame, because that is Trash TV gold, which has made him so bland its untrue. He isn't even the top British heel on ECW, which is ridiculous. That brand already has a number of ridiculous people on there like Hurricane and Goldust, so I don't see why another one could hurt. Burchill is going nowhere right now, and if your going nowhere, you might as well have a bit of style. And what's more stylish than a pirate? Nothing, that's what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back