What to do with Paul Burchill

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
Last night, Paul Burchill and Katie Lea had a handicap match against some jobber. Burchill, who is one of the best wrestlers on the Raw roster, and Katie Lea, who not only is gorgeous, but also a future Women's Champion, both got resounding chants in their match, which were not the good kind of chants. The Toronto crowd erupted in chants of "This is boring" and "Let's go jobber". As much as I hate to say it, last night might have put at least Burchill on the endangered species list.

Burchill doesn't deserve to be crapped on. Not only is he a good wrestler, but he's been through gimmick limbo ever since being called up for the first time. The pirate gimmick was over, but Vince didn't understand what it was all about. Back to OVW he went, for about a year. When he got called back up, his gimmick was supposed be "Guy who sleeps with his sister". That's been toned down to "Guy who has a sister". Personally, I just think all Burchill needs is a change in direction. The Curb Stomp doesn't need to be changed, despite what a lot of people think. It was devastating when he lifted his opponent's arms up and did it... that delivery worked, and he needs to go back to that.

What needs to be done is to entwine both he and Katie with William Regal. Back when Burchill was clamoring to be in the Raw vs. SD match at WM, he told Regal he thinks Katie liked him. They can definitely still go the creepy brother/sister route by having Paul pimp out Katie to Regal. Regal and Katie start up a relationship, in which Regal does what he can to make her Women's Champion. Paul in the meantime, acts as Regal's muscle... basically the Chief Morley role. Whoever Regal feels is disrespecting him, he has Burchill take them out.

I'm just throwing something out there... Burchill needs to be built up into the powerhouse that we all know he's fully capable of being. He's too good to be wasted like this.

After last night I think the only thing that can save him is either a Rock style personality transplant or another gimmick. I hear Pitrate and Incest work.

Having watched him for years I can assure everyone who's not seen him that he's awesome. But I can't see WWE letting him work like that. He comes across as a more agressive Stone Cold ring wise. He looks like he really hurts. I personally think he's slightly wreckless. Which is probably what WWE thinks, so i can't see them letting him just explode like he did in FWA.

The finisher is a start. People might rag on it, but they have no reason to. It can come from anywhere. Like an RKO. It results in head damage. In a post Benoit wrestling world a move like that should get over. Ever wondered why WWE still let Orton give people ''concussions'' after it was established that Benoit was a walking vegetable? It's because it look authentic.

What's best for Birchill is to be paired with regal. Not as a partner, but as an ally. Have him in handicap matches each week. Reagl is getting great heat at the moment. it's go away heat, but it's still a huge reaction. I'm confident that if he keeps helping Birchill then he'll soon get over. Have Birchill always win by cheating. Possibly have him defeat Jericho while he's still a face. It shouldn't be too hard to get him over.

The problem is that WWE has nothing for him to do at the moment, all the main Faces on RAW are in feuds at the moment and the only big star for Burchill to have a feud with is Umaga, but I don't know if Umaga has turned face or not(he hasn't been used in two weeks, so any momentum he had turning face is long gone by now). Right now, Burchill has the same role as Vladimer Koslov, they both are in the "30 second jobber squash" phase until creative finally puts them in a storyline. Burchill alligning with Regal is a strong possiblility, I am actually surprised this hasn't happened yet, they both were together on SmackDown so there is a history between the two, why doesn't WWE take advantage of that?

As for the negative chants towards Burchill, I wouldn't look too much into it, the fans knew they were going to see a squash match as soon as the jobber was in the ring, so they decided to be smart and cheer the jobber on. Squash matches are not entertaining, no matter how skilled the wrestlers are, so I don't blame the fans for those chants, it shouldn't affect Burchill's status anyway.

Honestly, I think Paul Burchill is in the middle of a mild push right now. Not the incest storyline mind you, but instead I think hes going to catch onto the backlash of the William Regal/Mr. Kennedy feud.

Since Regal's taken his new role, Burchill has been featured with Katie Lea in two weeks worth of Handicap Matches, that benefit for Burchill & Lea, but not their opponent. Reason: Burchill is unofficially Regal's 'right hand man.' When Regal needs someone to confront Kennedy, possibly next week, it'll be Burchill.

When the Regal feud is said and done with, assuming Kennedy goes on to capture the Intercontinental Championship from Chris Jericho.. I see Paul Burchill being the guy to take it off him.

His in ring dominance hasn't been properly established, which is a major flaw for him. He looks bigger than say Cena or Orton in build. So he needs to be pushed as a power player as much as a rough houser.

Keep the curb stomp as the finisher, but with arm pull up variety. In fact use that to put the IC strap on him. Jericho/Kennedy/Burchill triple threat, either Kennedy/Jericho on top after a Mic Check or Lionsault/Codebreaker, Burchill in, delivers the curb stomp on whoever is covering, rolls them off the opponent, three count.

And let him hit the C4 (the back flip rock bottom thing, I might have the name wrong) on one of these jobbers he's fighting. Not neccessarily a finisher, but a big impact move that sets up the curb stomp. I think it could silence an audience, and if the jobber sells the curb stomp, it'd be an impressive ending.

Also, for some very cheap heat, I'd have him interfere in a divas match, with a curb stomp on a diva who's beating Katie. Are there any attached Divas on any brand? Sets up a nice feud with that guy, possibly a tag team. Let him hit it on Maryse. A feud with a tag team that has no direction doesn't harm them, but will be a huge if Burchill comes out on top.

And I'd like a big win. Umaga clean. Use two curb stomps, just to be sure. Another huge statement

The WWE needs to stop limiting Burchill as a brawler. Hes a near super heavyweight who in the FWA wrestled like a cruiserweight. The WWE needs to let him use moves like the standing moonsault, standing shooting star press and his corkscrew senton. Seeing a big guy like Burchill pull off moves like that would help get him over.

Also I do think he needs a secondary finisher to use on big guys, the Curb Stomps good against cruiserweights but against anyone bigger it looks a bit sloppy. Let him use a firemans carry DDT maybe.....or even that sick Brock lock type move he used against Val a few weeks ago on heat.

I also think Paul and Katie should be pushed as the WWEs first male/female tag champs. Let them use their influence with Regal to get matchs put in their favour. (Their opponents have to have an arm tied their backs or something to make up for Katie been a women etc)

Burchill should be more threatening too....it may be a bit too controversial but I think it would be a good idea for Burchill to have a knife as a signature weapon, have him threaten people backstage with it and pull it out in matchs to give him the gimic of a complete and utter nutcase.

Burchill's good enough he doesn't need to be being fed local jobbers. it's got to the point people aren't impressed with jobber squashes anymore, so he needs to be given stiffer opposition.

As far as what to do with him, I think his association with Regal is the way to go. They've tagged in the past (despite WWE never acknowledging it) and worked well together. I think his role as a sort of contracted enforcer of regal will come to the fore shortly as regal steps up his campaign.
the main thing they need to do is stick with a gimmick for a while. He's already been a vicious englishman who ripped people apart, a pirate (why?), an incestuous englishman, and now he's something between gimmick 1&3, in which he's had 3 different finishers (fujiwara, urinage and curb stomp). Give him time and keep him heel - Americans hate english wrestlers as faces!
Burchill is athletic (as shown by a flipping urinage), a good submission wrestler, and able to pull off the vicious aspect...he could be a good heel if they let him loose. though if he's wreckless, he may need to work on it a bit

Put em in a Regal stable, like ive been saying all along. He would be a perfect enforcer, maybe if they put a little more muscle on him, but not much more. Just make him a sadistic intense brawler. Being Regals enforcer in a stable would be fantastic.

And I agree with Jake totally on the finisher. I really dont understand what people have against the move. It is THE most logical move in the WWE. Hardly ANY moves in the WWE would actually "finish" someone. If he did that curb stomp to you in real life, you would be FUCKED up. It awesome. One of my favorite moves in WWE currently. Imagine if he does it on a steel chair someday?? there is SO much they can do with Burchill and that move and persona. One of my favorite guys in WWE right now.

I enjoyed the pirate gimmick very much BTW. He should be on SD! with that gimmick. If we can have a dead guy doing MMA moves, and a wild samoan who somehow can get himself to everyt town and show every week with no aid, then we can have a fucking pirate. especially when there are REALLY people out there who are like that, really truly beliving they are pirates LOL

Put em in a Regal stable, like ive been saying all along. He would be a perfect enforcer, maybe if they put a little more muscle on him, but not much more. Just make him a sadistic intense brawler. Being Regals enforcer in a stable would be fantastic.

And I agree with Jake totally on the finisher. I really dont understand what people have against the move. It is THE most logical move in the WWE. Hardly ANY moves in the WWE would actually "finish" someone. If he did that curb stomp to you in real life, you would be FUCKED up. It awesome. One of my favorite moves in WWE currently. Imagine if he does it on a steel chair someday?? there is SO much they can do with Burchill and that move and persona. One of my favorite guys in WWE right now.

I enjoyed the pirate gimmick very much BTW. He should be on SD! with that gimmick. If we can have a dead guy doing MMA moves, and a wild samoan who somehow can get himself to everyt town and show every week with no aid, then we can have a fucking pirate. especially when there are REALLY people out there who are like that, really truly beliving they are pirates LOL

I don't know what else I have to do to prove to you I am Captain Blackbeard's great great great great grandchild.

Burchill has the size and talent to be a major player in WWE. For some reason, they are hesitant to push him. He's either a dick backstage or he has hurt a few opponents in the past and we haven't heard about it. I like the stable idea with him, Katie, and Regal. He could be Regal's bodyguard and have Regal give him better opurtunities at success. I read someone wants DH Smith in there, but he's been so poorly used lately it may actually hurt Paul's cred. Regal and Burchill used to tag together so they already have chemistry, I say let them run with this.

I do not know too much of his background, but I really like the guy. I tend to like guys that can actually wrestle and Burchill is one of them. The Incest thing disturbed me, but it does seem like they haven't touched on that so maybe they dropped it, which if they did is a good thing. There has been a lot of good stuff said and I agree with everything. The Curb Stomp is an amazing finisher and the C-4 is so unreal. Whenever I see it, I am in awe at how a man of Burchill's size and his opponent can pull that off, I react the same way to the Canadian Destroyer. I have no qualms with his moveset, I just wish I could see more of it.

Gimmick wise, I do see some need for tweaking. Make him Regal's enforcer, good idea. I really think Burchill should be presented as someone who knows how to hurt people, which he obviously does, and likes to do it. Not that it brings him pleasure or turns him on, but he just enjoys hurting people. As Regal's enforcer, this could be used to both of theri advantage. Instead of turning of the lights or cutting power, Regal would simply have Burchill hurt those who disrespect him. However, this shouldn't be done for free, Burchill's services come at a price, sort of like a mercenary, but don't call him that. That name would get lame. Regal gives him title shots or special privileges and advantages over other superstars in payment for his services. Going this route, you have the possibility of killing two birds with one stone. Take Kennedy, he has disrespected Regal and Regal has had enough and so Regal hires Burchill to take Kennedy out and Burchill is happy to do it, but for that price, the price being the Intercontinental Championship. Burchill asks for it to be an IC Title match and Regal makes it happen. Burchill hurts Kennedy and wins the IC Title. Killed two birds with one stone. I think it could work.

I say whack Burchill, Katie Lea and Regal in a major heel group. Have Katie win the Women's Title somewhere down the line, and prehaps Regal and Burchill win the Tag Team Title. Hell, if they really want to push them, give Burchill the IC title and give Regal the WWE Title. Could eventually put over Kennedy as a bigger, MAJOR face.

Could be a major heel stable, and I know Edge already has one, but this one can be more based on Pro-England, rather than revolving around Edge.

What du guys think?

The way I see it, don't try to push Burchill too far, too fast. One of the problems I have with the WWE at the moment is it seems like either they debut someone and try to push them immediately to the top or not at all.

First off, stop pairing Burchill with Katie against jobbers. This makes it look like he can't pull off beating a nobody on his own. Haven't we all known at least one kid in our lives that required the help of his big sister in order to feel tough? He comes off like that to me, not a future star. You can have Katie help him win matches via cheating, but not against jobbers, especially since those are supposed to be squash matches (which are boring as hell as it is).

Second, along with a handful of others, he needs a new finisher. I don't mind him using the curb stomp, but not as a finisher. He should use it as a secondary move, sort of like HBK's elbow drop. I'm not sure what else he has in his cache to use, but I'm sure they can think of something.

Third, to go with my point of "not too fast, not too strong", there are two options you can do. 1) With the draft, alter the Raw rosters so you have a decent amount of midcard talent, as Raw is lacking in it right now. Let's just say Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, Lance Cade, Paul Burchill, Santino, D.H. Smith. There's a few feuds for him there, and if he proves himself, move him up to feud with the current IC champion, whomever that is. OR 2) Put him in a tag team with someone else who has nothing to do, like D.H. Smith or something. Why not help out the tag team division WHILE giving him some exposure, as opposed to just having ANOTHER set of jobber matches? I don't know why the WWE doesn't do this. Its not like any of us actually think the jobber will get in any offense.

I don't think he really needs a gimmick to get over if they just book him to look strong (which can't be done against jobbers when your "sister" helps you win).

I think that WWE should just stop using jobbers to push newly promoted wrestlers (promoted from feeder). I remember when Umaga first came and he wrestled jobbers, I hated that portion of RAW and I hated Umaga because of it. Now, Umaga's one of my favourite wrestlers because he fights against non-jobbers.

Right now, i'm not big on Kofi Kingston, again, because of jobbers. Hence, WWE should stop using jobbers for Paul Burchill.

Also, apparently, WWE is dropping the incest angle. If they do this, they should try to make a love angle between Katie Lea and a wrestler, with Paul Burchill being the overprotective brother and start a feud between the two. Something like Shane-Stephanie-Test.

When he was doing that pirate angle i liked it, mostly because of his moves. Now i can't even remember what his finisher was but it was better then this one. But what do with him. I like Hillman's idea. However what about having her intice a man and then they laugh at him as they betray him. Then you have a fued, and you could add some diva to help him.

I think the reason hes been put into handicap matchs with his sister is 1) to build Katie up as a star. 2) humiliate his opponents and 3) build them up as a possible tag team.

I quite like it...seeing Paul beat someone up and then let his sister get the pin fall. It makes Katie look strong whilst keeping Paul looking tough, gains him heat by humiliating a face.

i wish WWE would read these damn forums, because they are doing nothing with this guy, absolutely nothing and they need to. he is a great wrestler, but like what everyone else thniks i think, he should without a doubt be teamed up with regal, as we speak there tag team divison sucks, and that would even b a good tag team, or as someone said an ally

They need to stop putting him against jobbers, and build him up as a legit threat. They should really build him up for an IC run. At the moment, Paul Birchill is just a sub- regal kind of thing. They are basically showcasing what he has against, jobbers. As well as showing off Katie.

If he gets placed against the likes of Jericho and win the IC title, he would really be put into a good position. I ddon't think that he will ever get pushed that much though.

He's basically at Snitsky's level now, squashing jobbers and getting no push of any kind, making him a big Raw fish squeezed into the Heat pond. Plus, the curb stomp? Who's bright idea was that? Is that as impressive as a flip Rock Bottom? No, no it isn't.

Burchill could easily b another WWE style Jeff Jarrett, not the whole 'Double J, ain't he great?' gimmick but the 'greatest IC champ of all time' gimmick. He has the same level of wrestling ability and a hot valet (not as hot as Debra but still hot), but bcoz WWE doesn't promote sexuality unless its a Playboy promotional deal, Katie Lea is unlikely to b used the same way as Debra.
Give him a mic once and again and a spot on Raw that is longer than 3 minutes every week and he might just get over.

He's basically at Snitsky's level now, squashing jobbers and getting no push of any kind, making him a big Raw fish squeezed into the Heat pond. Plus, the curb stomp? Who's bright idea was that? Is that as impressive as a flip Rock Bottom? No, no it isn't.

Burchill could easily b another WWE style Jeff Jarrett, not the whole 'Double J, ain't he great?' gimmick but the 'greatest IC champ of all time' gimmick. He has the same level of wrestling ability and a hot valet (not as hot as Debra but still hot), but bcoz WWE doesn't promote sexuality unless its a Playboy promotional deal, Katie Lea is unlikely to b used the same way as Debra.
Give him a mic once and again and a spot on Raw that is longer than 3 minutes every week and he might just get over.

yes, because having your head slammed into the floor by someone's foot won't hurt like hell. It mightn't look as impressive...but it's realistic.
As for Katie...she's damn hotter than Debra. Debra looked really old and fake in wwe while katie looks natural

As for Burchill, I think he'd be an outstanding IC champion and would be a legitimate tough guy because he has a real vicious streak going and it could be used as part of a regal enforcer gimmick

yes, because having your head slammed into the floor by someone's foot won't hurt like hell. It mightn't look as impressive...but it's realistic.

It's also the kinda move that 4 years ago wud b used as a 'rest' move, in the same way that a chinlock is used to allow time for wrestlers to take a breather and discuss the next combination of moves during the match. The curb stomp IMO is in the same league as stomping in the corner, or foot choke. Didn't say it doesn't hurt like hell or look painful, i said it's a shit finisher

Well, you're wrong.

Like someone stated earlier, it can pretty much come out of nowhere. Think of it this way, Burchill gets into a jam, pulls out a bulldog pretty much out of nowhere, runs behind his opponent, picks up both arms and stomps his head to the mat. You're telling me that would be a shit finish? I think if anything, that would be pretty damn awesome and vicious. Not to mention, stomping the back of someone's head into the mat, which isn't soft at all, is not a rest hold. Any kind of blow to the back of the head can cause serious damage... they said a big reason why Benoit wound up having a brain the equivalent of an 85 year old Alzheimer's patient is due to the fact that he would take chair shots to the back of the head. I fail to see how choking someone with a boot, or stomping someone in the corner is as vicious as stomping the back of someone's head.

And I don't know how you could say Debra is better looking than Katie Lea. Debra had gigantic boobs, yes, but she had a disgusting face. Katie, overall, is much better looking.

Well, you're wrong.

Like someone stated earlier, it can pretty much come out of nowhere. Think of it this way, Burchill gets into a jam, pulls out a bulldog pretty much out of nowhere, runs behind his opponent, picks up both arms and stomps his head to the mat. You're telling me that would be a shit finish? I think if anything, that would be pretty damn awesome and vicious. Not to mention, stomping the back of someone's head into the mat, which isn't soft at all, is not a rest hold. Any kind of blow to the back of the head can cause serious damage... they said a big reason why Benoit wound up having a brain the equivalent of an 85 year old Alzheimer's patient is due to the fact that he would take chair shots to the back of the head. I fail to see how choking someone with a boot, or stomping someone in the corner is as vicious as stomping the back of someone's head.

And I don't know how you could say Debra is better looking than Katie Lea. Debra had gigantic boobs, yes, but she had a disgusting face. Katie, overall, is much better looking.

The fact is...it's a stiff boot driving your face into the mat from a decent height with a boot driving your head into it. It's not visually beautiful, but the fact is...it's realistic and pretty effective. I'd rather have someone flip over me than kicking my head into the mat.

and
01.jpg
is not better than
01.jpg

I've always been a big fan of him, and upon his re-debut, I've become a fan of Katie Lea. Both of them are equally as good on the microphone. WWE could get them over if they simply get more mic time each week. And of course, the jobbers serve no purpose whatsoever, especially the local ones. That submission move that Burchill used on Val a few weeks ago, that was sick and should be used more often. As far as the C-4 and Curb Stomp go, I only like the curbstomp when he grabs the opponents arms, much like he did against Kendrick. When he just stomps the head in, it doesn't look very strong.

As far as him being Regal's enforcer, I'm all for it. However, the Anti-American thing is old to me. Regal has started to branch away from that, and now he's quite simply, a villain. Burchill and Katie Lea should go along with that, which would hopefully lead to a Burchill midcard push. It'd be a tragedy if he got released.

I loved him as a pirate, and he impressed me in his initial debut with Regal. As a pirate he was fast paced and entertaining in the ring. Now, he slows things down and uses the mat. When he first entered, was when he was a mix of both facets. He should revert to that style.

And in the incest? Yeah, that seems to be dropped. Burchill and Lea work well as a unit regardless.

My only problem with the curb stomp is how do you counter it? Most (if not all) great matches build drama through counters to finishers, but I'm having trouble seeing a believable way of doing that with Burchill's finisher. That being said, I do agree he should use it rather than the C4 (aka the "flipping rock bottom"). While the C4 is more visually impressive, the curb stomp fits much better with the viciousness of his character.

As for what to do with Burchill, I think the "Regal's enforcer" idea is best for him in the short term. Regal has CRAZY heat right now, so Burchill would benefit from the rub. Plus there are plenty of believable feuds that could be set up through that scenario without having to involve a title.. Of course, if WWE wants to screw this up, they will make him the enforcer and then have him squashed by HHH ala the Edgeheads and Undertaker..

Just as a quick off topic... Imagine a women's division consisting of Jillian, Mickie, Melina, Beth, Katie, and Natalya.. Wow..real women's wrestling..

Well, you're wrong.

1. I'm wrong? This is an opinion based forum. There is no such thing as a wrong opinion. A statement can be wrong, an opinion cannot because it's someone's feelings based on what they've experienced. And in my experience based on what i've seen, in comparison to the C4, the curb stomp is shit.

2. If i want to see someone get their head kicked in, i'll go into the rough areas of my neighberhood and wait for a fight to break out. WWE is supposed to exhibit athleticism at it's highest level and the curb stomp is not an example of that, whereas the C4 definitely was. I've yet to see Burchill 'get into a jam' and then wrestle his way out of it into the move, i've seen him squash people and then do that at the end. BORING! It can't come out of nowhere at all, as soon as his opponent is face down on the floor we'll all know what's gonna come next. A snapmare can come out of nowhere, does that mean that HHH shud trade the Pedigree for a snapmare? And as watchingandwaiting said, how is anyone gonna counter it? I can't see anyone rolling Burchill up into a pin from that position, so that means if he wants to put on a decent match with lots of twists and turns (and he's booked to lose), then he'll either not go for it at all, or everyone will have to kick out of it rather than counter, thereby undermining the effectiveness of it. I also don't care how realistic it looks because NEWSFLASH - WRESTLING IS NOT REAL!!!!! Yes it hurts, yes it shortens careers AND lives, but at the same time, none of the moves are done with full force and strength to ensure that moves like the curb stomp don't give wrestlers brain damage or kill them. If Burchill did that in real life, with full force anyone would b hospitalised or dead and wouldn't just get up 30 secs after suffering it. Benoit getting hit in the head with a hunk of metal for twenty years, and a lackluster stomp to the head is not even in the same league in my view. If Burchill wants to look vicious it can b done in a million different ways other than that move.

3. I didn't say it was as vicious as stomping in the corner or a footchoke, i said it was a move used to pass time between spots, like stomping in the corner or a foot choke. In fact, i didn't use the word vicious in my first two posts at all. Read what is said b4 arguing with it!

4. Debra or Katie? Each to their own so....

Overall, i watch wrestling to see the skills and athleticism of the performers, not to b convinced of realism in something that i know isn't real. Curb stomp = crap.
Hopefully other posts will focus on the thread topic rather than bitching about someone else's views on a finishing move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back