I am the most underrated wrestling poster.

Yeah, in my opinion, the Attitude Era completely shits over what is put out today. And, I'm sorry to break it to everyone here, but WWE isn't about wrestling so much as it is about entertainment (obviously, I thought the Attitude Era was much more entertaining that what is put out today).
That's nice. I think that feuds like Eddie-JBL, Jericho-Michaels, and Punk-Hardy shit all over most of the entertainment we got in the AA. They find the perfect balance of story-telling and wrestling for my money. Bret-Austin was much the same for me.

I'd take that kind of stuff over 95% of the AA. It had it's bright spots and I liked some of the key players, but I would have liked them more in a different era.

That's nice. I think that feuds like Eddie-JBL, Jericho-Michaels, and Punk-Hardy shit all over most of the entertainment we got in the AA. They find the perfect balance of story-telling and wrestling for my money. Bret-Austin was much the same for me.

I'd take that kind of stuff over 95% of the AA. It had it's bright spots and I liked some of the key players, but I would have liked them more in a different era.

All right, so, right now, RAW gets about 90 minutes of commercial-free airtime a week. 15 minutes of that is given to Cena, 15 is given to DX, and 20 is given to the guest host. Then, we get about 2 other wrestlers who get 5 minutes of promo time each, which leaves us with about 30 minutes of wrestling.

In the Attitude Era, Austin got 20 minutes of RAW, the McMahon family got another 20 minutes, while, GASP, the other 50 minutes were given to ALL of the wrestlers of RAW. Today's writing is just as shitty as it was in the past, it's just not as trashy and politically incorrect. Also, half of the wrestlers you mentioned in the above post are no longer with WWE, so, yeah.

Okay. So I'm gonna try and bottom line my point of view since I don't expect to change anyone's mind.

I liked a lot of 2000 and 2001 match quality wise and there were a ton of guys that were easy to get behind. Some very fun stuff with many off-month PPVs that would be PPV of the year if that stuff happened these days. Solid cards top to bottom for the most part, so on and so forth. That made it somewhat easier for me to overlook the absurd stories.

1998 and 1999 sort of bummed me out. Most of the matches that don't involve Rock, Austin, and Hunter don't hold up for me on rewatch. I'll go watch some again in the near future to qualify that, but I don't think highly of the work of Taker, Kane, and Foley from that time (Despite how much of a Foley fan I am). The payoff after the insane booking just wasn't there for me. Sorry guys.

So those four years average out to an average era with over the top booking even by wrestling standards. Take out 2001, and the era does holds up worse in my eyes.

The current era is average to me. Consistently average with some very good matches and angles spread throughout the era. So we have an average era with ****** content more often than this era (I firmly believe this... still) vs. an average era with less ******ed content. The choice is easy for me.

I don't support a lot of what the WWE does. The current version of Raw blows. The current overall picture is not ideal. I just think it averages out to more consistently decent stuff with less ******ation for my money. Take out 1998 and 1999 and you have a very different story.

That's just how I feel.

On to random other complaints:

If Drew was on top of ECW now instead of Christian, fewer people would watch it than do already. Another good midcardish face will replace him in time and Christian will be in the the main event of one of the main brands, just like Punk, Matt Hardy, and Lashley before him. Give it time and just be happy you get to see Christian doing something decent most weeks.

Sheamus got to move now because ECW wouldn't implode without him. Simple, really.

Orton-McMahon played well because in rock solid TV logic, Orton's mental illness had the hands of the company tied. The potential for the IED character was pretty decent. Sure, they blew it big time and it got way ******ed, but they did have a good thing there for a few weeks.

Fucking stupid visionless WWE...

I feel that I need to say once again that this current product is not ideal for me. I just like it better than 1998/1999.

And... random thoughts off.

How you can praise the "stories" told in the ring by guys like Cena, and then call the Attitude Era shit, is beyond me.

For one, the Corporation and the other stables were good. I'll give you that.

But Mark Henry's hand baby? Austin being run over and taken out for months, but Triple H being thrown around in a falling car and he's only out a week, two at most? Taker hanging some dude, Taker getting a match with Triple H by having Kane hang Stephanie over a high elevation? Didn't Taker bury Paul Bearer alive during this time period? Edge had a live sex celebration with Lita in the middle of the ring. McMahon started the "Kiss My Ass Club," in which he dropped his pants in the middle of the ring and had wrestlers kiss his ass on national television.

How is that NOT more over the top and outlandish than Cena being in a match with Orton and almost being hit with pyro? The most over the top segment you can claim is the entire Orton punting people and going crazy thing, but that doesn't even come close to comparing to the hand baby.

You guys always talk about all this storytelling in matches, well there wasn't a better era for storytelling than the Attitude Era.

The same era with the over the top angles that you seem to hate in this era?

Feuds with guys like Rock, Austin, Foley, Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, that was one of the best periods in wrestling history.

I didn't like the feuds of the Attitude Era. Therefore, I think it was shit. I've never tried to claim that the Attitude Era wasn't a boom period in wrestling, or that McMahon and Austin made more money than I will ever know. However, just because I would rather watch Cena wrestle a match with Swagger over watching Taker and Kane from 2000, I have a lot to learn about wrestling?

You go watch any Raw from 1999 and it's roughly about twenty times as entertaining as a current episode is.

Opinion, much? So this entire thing is that you've lost faith in me as a wrestling debater because I don't like the same era as wrestling as you do? Good god, better not let you find out that I hate TNA and I laugh at the shit wrestling ROH tries to throw around on Youtube.

..Oh, wait.

Ehh...Razor, the Attitude Era ended in 2001. If you're going to name things you disliked, at least don't name things that didn't happen during the AA.

For one, the Corporation and the other stables were good. I'll give you that.

But Mark Henry's hand baby?

Yep, one three minute clip on one episode of Raw is clearly indicative of entire years and hundreds and hundreds of hours of wrestling programming.

Austin being run over and taken out for months, but Triple H being thrown around in a falling car and he's only out a week, two at most?

You act like that was the only era to use ridiculous logic in their booking. The Orton-Cena Iron Man match was a massive failure of logic on several fronts.

Taker hanging some dude, Taker getting a match with Triple H by having Kane hang Stephanie over a high elevation?

Are those really that outlandish? Shit like that still happens today, and it happened long before.

Didn't Taker bury Paul Bearer alive during this time period?

How about a few years ago when he literally murdered Paul Bearer at the GAB? You remember that, where they literally put Paul Bearer in a glass tube and filled it with concrete, thus killing the man? Yeah, that wasn't the Attitude Era. That was super-logical never-stunt-booking current WWE.

Edge had a live sex celebration with Lita in the middle of the ring.

This is what I mean when I say I've lost a bit of respect for you as a wrestling debater. You don't really know much about it. Like, for example, that the Edge-Lita sex celebration happened in 2005, a good five years or so AFTER the Attitude Era ended. That was a part of THIS era Razor. So, thanks for arguing my side of the argument.

McMahon started the "Kiss My Ass Club," in which he dropped his pants in the middle of the ring and had wrestlers kiss his ass on national television.

The Kiss My Ass Club has been used about twenty times more AFTER the Attitude Era than during. They only used it once, and that was the very, very, very end of that era.

How is that NOT more over the top and outlandish than Cena being in a match with Orton and almost being hit with pyro?

So, just so I have this straight, it's okay if Orton attempts to murder someone, just not Undertaker. Gotcha.

The most over the top segment you can claim is the entire Orton punting people and going crazy thing, but that doesn't even come close to comparing to the hand baby.

Hornswoggle riding Chavo Guerrero around in a cow costume. Easily worse than anything I could think of from the Attitude Era. Or how about Santina and the Hog Pen match? How about just about every single guest host?

The same era with the over the top angles that you seem to hate in this era?

Because I criticized one match? I was pointing out the hypocrisy of you guys criticizing the Attitude Era for over-the-top antics and than praising the current one.

I didn't like the feuds of the Attitude Era. Therefore, I think it was shit. I've never tried to claim that the Attitude Era wasn't a boom period in wrestling, or that McMahon and Austin made more money than I will ever know. However, just because I would rather watch Cena wrestle a match with Swagger over watching Taker and Kane from 2000, I have a lot to learn about wrestling

I've seen you say in about five different threads now that the Attitude Era was "shit". That's just false. Utterly false. That's like me saying Hulk Hogan sucked. Just because I don't like his matches, doesn't mean he sucks, does it?

Opinion, much? So this entire thing is that you've lost faith in me as a wrestling debater because I don't like the same era as wrestling as you do? Good god, better not let you find out that I hate TNA and I laugh at the shit wrestling ROH tries to throw around on Youtube.

..Oh, wait.

No, it's more how you've proven again and again that you've been watching wrestling for maybe a year and don't really know too much about it outside of the last few years. I'd venture to say you've watched maybe two shows from the Attitude Era.

Don't really feel like arguing with someone I like on here though. Reply if you want, doesn't really matter, you're still my boy.

X, WWE pyros don't kill people. Jeff Hardy was hit by them and he only missed a week or two. Orton didn't try to kill him.

I'm going to use the elitist attack on this debate.

The Attitude Era made tons and tons of money, therefore, it wasn't shit. We judge the entertainment value of the wrestling product by how much it draws, PPV buyrates, and merchandise sales. Therefore, the Attitude Era is far and away better than anything that we have in wrestling today.

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back