• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO READ THE RULES?!?!??!?!

No one is trying to say that they are, however, making a thread talking about people not reading the rules seems to me to be an invitation to discuss this. With everyone.

It's pretty fucking simple. Before you join a forum, you should read the rules. There is absolutely no excuse not to. What's even worse though is the people that are told they are in violation of those rules, and they are outraged and can't understand why they've been warned, even when I quote the rules on spamming to them and explain it as simple as possible. These people are what I like to call "fucking idiots". And I have no interest in trying to solve their problems. If they can't take five fucking seconds to look at the rules, they can leave.

It's pretty fucking simple. Before you join a forum, you should read the rules. There is absolutely no excuse not to. What's even worse though is the people that are told they are in violation of those rules, and they are outraged and can't understand why they've been warned, even when I quote the rules on spamming to them and explain it as simple as possible. These people are what I like to call "fucking idiots". And I have no interest in trying to solve their problems. If they can't take five fucking seconds to look at the rules, they can leave.

I completely agree.

There be no need to bitch about getting warned or getting an infraction. They should read the rules.

I just think that a lot more work (in the long run) and frustration could be saved on the part of the Mods and Admins if they could find a way to FORCE the new applicants to read the rules before being able to post. Not simply say that the "rules are here" to look over, but to find a way to make them read the rules before being able to post.

I agree in an idealistic sense, that you shouldn't have to do it. But I'm seeing that X is upset over the way things currently are with the "dumb" posters, and seeing that other Mods are too.

But if the Mod and Admin teams are fine with simply sending a link back to the rules and regulations in response to complaints sent via PM, without going into extensive detail over it ... then whatever suits your fancy, essentially. If the posters don't like it, then oh well, I suppose.

I just think that a lot more work (in the long run) and frustration could be saved on the part of the Mods and Admins if they could find a way to FORCE the new applicants to read the rules before being able to post. Not simply say that the "rules are here" to look over, but to find a way to make them read the rules before being able to post.

I agree in an idealistic sense, that you shouldn't have to do it. But I'm seeing that X is upset over the way things currently are with the "dumb" posters, and seeing that other Mods are too.

But if the Mod and Admin teams are fine with simply sending a link back to the rules and regulations in response to complaints sent via PM, without going into extensive detail over it ... then whatever suits your fancy, essentially. If the posters don't like it, then oh well, I suppose.

The thing is though, we shouldn't have to do that. There is not a single thing in the rules that is complicated in the slightest. It's basic stuff and we tell people at least four or five times to read them. How much clearer can we make it?

The thing is though, we shouldn't have to do that. There is not a single thing in the rules that is complicated in the slightest. It's basic stuff and we tell people at least four or five times to read them. How much clearer can we make it?

By surgically implanting that in their brain. Just come up with something that replaces the part of the brain that breathes with forum rules. It would probably be an improvement for a lot of them

You have to think about how it comes across to potential new users though. Forums have turnover. If you aren't bringing in new posters, the forum will die in a few months.

Now, if I'd come on here and the first thing I was greeted with was some bullshit hassle where I had to post a statement that I'd read the official rules, I'd look elsewhere for my wrestling forum needs. I'm 31 years old, I don't need to be treated like a little kid. I'd say a silent, mental "go fuck yourselves" and move on. I don't think I'm in the minority on this.

Agreed on that one Dexter.

What's humorous here is that what some of you are suggesting we do (force people to read the rules before posting), we already technically do. When you register, the first thing you do is agree to follow the rules of the forum and agree to the terms that the mods/admins have the right to close/move/merge/delete any posts or threads at any time. Literally the first thing you do is agree to the rules.

Alright.

So essentially, the Mods shouldn't complain about doing their jobs then, since we seem to all be in agreement that "none of the Mods/Admin should (ideally) have to take the extra step" and that "doing anything extra will make posters feel too babyfied".

Basically, it's just a thread just to bitch in and vent, with there not really being any intent on actually doing anything about it.

Alright.

So essentially, the Mods shouldn't complain about doing their jobs then, since we seem to all be in agreement that "none of the Mods/Admin should (ideally) have to take the extra step" and that "doing anything extra will make posters feel too babyfied".

Basically, it's just a thread just to bitch in and vent, with there not really being any intent on actually doing anything about it.

So we should just have to deal with all this extra work and headaches because people are too lazy and stupid to read the rules that we hand them on 5 silver platters and have no complaints or issues at all with it while at the same time having to fix all the problems, answer all the questions, drive discussion, deal with the site working only a majority of the time, and listen to people say we complain too much?

Not likely.

This is the worst thread.

It should be automatic to at least check out the rules once before you post after signing up. Everything here is common sense besides one rule, which is no one line responses in Non-Spam sections.

There's no sense in arguing for the sake of arguing in here, which is what UT is doing.

Reactions: X
So we should just have to deal with all this extra work and headaches because people are too lazy and stupid to read the rules that we hand them on 5 silver platters and have no complaints or issues at all with it while at the same time having to fix all the problems, answer all the questions, drive discussion, deal with the site working only a majority of the time, and listen to people say we complain too much?

Not likely.

All I am saying is that you have 2 choices.

Either:

1) Take the extra step to invest in getting the new posters off to a good start by finding a way to somehow force them to read the rules before posting .... which may actually reduce the amount of work you have to do in the long run with handing out warnings/infractions (not to mention going through several PM's back and forth with people for clarifications)

or

2) Continue doing what you are doing now, and put up with posters who don't read the rules .... and simply continue complaining about it.

If you put your heads together, you may actually devise a way to avoid doing more work in the long run by dealing with a problem that won't go away on its on.

Thinking ideally about "the way things should be" and getting upset over it isn't going to solve any problems. Accepting that it is an ongoing problem and actually doing something about it, will solve problems.

You just have to determine if it really is a "problem", as opposed to simply one Mod who is in a bad mood in dealing with the posters. If you are all fed up with it and agree that it is a problem, then it probably is.

Well what else would you have us do? There's already a big page with the rules on there that they have to see. We can't force people to read them. It's really not that hard.

Well what else would you have us do? There's already a big page with the rules on there that they have to see. We can't force people to read them. It's really not that hard.

It's way more fun to argue for the sake of argument than concede that point to you though apparently.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back