• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hogan VS the Streak?

Hogan has value and WWE should snatch him up if given the chance, the question is where his value lies.

I don't think Hulk should get in the ring anymore, at least not to wrestle a full match. He's clearly worn out his body and (supposedly) had a botched back surgery, so a return to the ring could be devastating to his health.

I say give Wrestlemania a theme by pairing past WWE stars with current ones. Bring in Dusty Rhodes and Rikishi to manage their sons, have Bret Hart reform the Hart Dynasty, or have Hogan join Vince to help against HHH.

Basically give him a new role or do something we might not see coming.

NO NO NO NO!

I do not want to see Hulk Oldgan v Taker at all. Hogan was too old 10 years ago for fuck sake no way should he be anywhere near the streak.

Yes have him at Wrestlemania but not in a match. I like the idea of him beating up the real Americans and posing for the crowd with the USA flag.

That should be his Mania send off.

This is fine by me. I get to save 60 bucks. Every year I buy WrestleMania due to a promising card and I'm disappointed by the crappy show they put on. If they advertise crappy matches, they will be gifting me the hindsight so I can be spared from the crap show.

Undertaker/Hogan sounds like a horrible idea, but it's just the one I need to say "no f**king way" and end up watching Game of Thrones that night instead.

Okay, wait a second. Maybe not Hulk Hogan, but having the Royal Rumble winner challenge the Undertaker does free up the WWE and World Championship for a unification match at WrestleMania. The catch would be, the winner of the Royal Rumble would have to be a former WWE / World Champion. This way, passing on a WWE / World Title opportunity to face the Streak would be believable and storyline acceptable. What do you think??

I am a very shallow, self absorbed, and damaged human being. That being said I just wanted to point out that the Rumble winner picking The Streak (or at least considering) was one I had two years ago.

I've spent time I should be thinking of better ways to improve my life and my families life thinking about Raw and some matches they can book going in to WM. Let me know what you think.

1. Main Event match - there could be two HW title matches, Rock/Cena and UT streak matches at WM. That's basically 3 or 4 main event caliber matches. Main eventing WM is as big a match as you will ever get. What if some of these guys mini-feuded over the right to have the main event spot? What if there was one big match on Raw to determine who gets the top spot on the card?

2. Rumble winner - the Rumble winner should get the chance to be in any WM match that they want. Let there be some mystery behind the match that he chooses. Tease that the winner will choose to enter Rock/Cena. Tease that the winner will go after Taker's streak. I know it is important to have the card booked early but with Rock-Cena already set you know that this WM will sell. Drag out the Rumble winner decision a little bit longer and keep the audience guessing for a while.

3. UT Streak challenge - every year one guy comes out saying he wants the UT and he is going to end the streak. What if this year more guys come out saying they want to be the guy? UT could decide that he wants to see guys fight for the right to face him. They could hold a tournament or some type of multi-man match to determine who gets the spot? This could take up a whole show.

I know these are not completely orginal ideas, I haven't gone in to detail (I'm not a Book This! Type of guy) and they don't all necessarily work together. I also know that they don't need to do these things to sell WM. However, I think it would help add value to Raw and keep fans glued to the tube. Let me know what you think.

WWE kind of used idea #3 last year with Punk winning. I'd like the shock of the Rumble winner picking The Streak but it should definitely not be Hogan. Maybe Hogan can play the part of the veteran in the Rumble winner's ear that convinces him to do something no one else has ever done and end The UT but definitely not fight.

#gladothersarecomingaround

Okay, wait a second. Maybe not Hulk Hogan, but having the Royal Rumble winner challenge the Undertaker does free up the WWE and World Championship for a unification match at WrestleMania. The catch would be, the winner of the Royal Rumble would have to be a former WWE / World Champion. This way, passing on a WWE / World Title opportunity to face the Streak would be believable and storyline acceptable. What do you think??

Patrick, I expect better ideas out of you than this....

:banghead:

It is NOT acceptable as a storyline or even an idea. The Royal Rumble's entire purpose is to award its winner with a WWE or World Heavyweight Championship shot. Yes, the Undertaker's streak is a big deal. Undefeated for 20+ years is a legendary achievement that surely will never be replicated in the WWE. However, within kayfabe the wrestler holding the world title is the best in the federation. Therefore, it would make no sense for the Rumble winner to want to face Taker. He as a wrestler might, but his kayfabe'd persona would want to be WWE/World Champion. That should be the end all be all for any wrestler at any given point, period.

If they want to do the unification match then they can either have the Rumble winner win one of the belts from winning the Rumble (not an idea I am a fan of, but infinitely better than using the Rumble win to challenge Taker), or have him win one belt at Elimination Chamber then pick to challenge for the other one. For instance Daniel Bryan wins the Rumble and chooses the World Heavyweight Championship still held by Cena, then he manages to win the WWE Championship along the way but decides he wants both belts so he uses his Rumble victory to obtain a unification match.

There is a way that the Rumble CAN effectively be used to build an Undertaker match. Have the guy who gets 2nd place in the Rumble challenge Taker. Let's say someone like Sheamus or Jericho is the last one eliminated by Bryan who won in my above scenario. If Sheamus/Jericho/whoever had a very strong showing in the Rumble but ultimately came up short, have them do a promo along the lines of admitting their loss but still demanding a Wrestlemania match, they want to make a big impact this year and do something they have never done, by ending the streak. Taker accepts, does a rest in peace promo, and you have your match. WITHOUT tarnishing the Rumble victory.

That all being said.... Hogan should NEVER challenge Taker at Wrestlemania for reasons I already stated in my previous post. It could be a match worth a try at another PPV event, it surely would increase interest in shows like Payback or Battleground that currently have nothing setting them apart from the rest. The names alone could sell PPV purchases even though Hogan is highly unlikely to work a halfway decent match in 2013-2014. Taker would have to do 99% of the work, literally, and hopefully pick up the win.

The idea of Hogan winning the Royal Rumble brings me back to the question: "Does Hogan really think today's wrestling fans will flock to see him wrestle?"

In other words, does he actually believe he's as big an attraction today as he was a generation ago.....or is that just what he tells sports entertainment organizations in order to secure a job for himself in which he claims top billing?

In the case of TNA, his spiel worked: From January 2010 until recently, they built their company around him, figuring (I presume) that wrestling fans wouldn't be able to resist watching, and paying him (again, I presume) an amount of money far above what the fledgling company could really afford to pay.

Fast forward to the Royal Rumble. I would certainly think Vince McMahon would love to have him appear, perhaps even to participate in the battle royale. If ever there was an event in which a performer could show up and seem to be creating a stir, without actually having to work hard or risk injury....that's the place to do it.

But don't have Hogan win it.....don't have him challenge the Undertaker at WM30......in short, don't fall into the same trap TNA did, thinking Hulk Hogan can still carry a storyline, whether it involves ring action or not.

Of course, as to the Undertaker, remember that although he wrestles essentially once a year, he extends himself to the fullest in his "streak" match at WM. So far, he has faced opponents who could do the same. Say what you will about Shawn Michaels, Triple H and CM Punk; they are top-notch performers in the ring and can give and take with the best. To hang with Undertaker, you've got to be able to wrestle.....not just preen and pose.

Even in his prime, Hogan was more of a showman in the ring than a pure wrestler. I'm not putting him down for that; he put on a great show. But that style of match doesn't fit what Undertaker has been doing in his WM showcase these past years. No way, no how.

Patrick, I expect better ideas out of you than this....

:banghead:

It is NOT acceptable as a storyline or even an idea. The Royal Rumble's entire purpose is to award its winner with a WWE or World Heavyweight Championship shot.

I'm sorry, point to me where winning the Rumble always meant a shot at the WWE title or better yet how was it possible for the Rumble winner to get a shot at the WHC before it was even recognized as a WWE title? Can the Rumble winner still pick to face the WWECW champion?

Yes, the Undertaker's streak is a big deal. Undefeated for 20+ years is a legendary achievement that surely will never be replicated in the WWE.

So a couple of props (no offense King Patrick - purchaser of everything gold replica) that gets passed around every couple of months or so and has been held by guys like The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, and Jack Swagger is more important than a "legendary achievement that surely will never be replicated in the WWE".

Go on.

However, within kayfabe the wrestler holding the world title is the best in the federation.

Within kayfabe? Have you ever watched WWE? The best guy loses all the time, it's part of the story. Are you really saying that Orton is the "best in the federation"?

Therefore, it would make no sense for the Rumble winner to want to face Taker. He as a wrestler might, but his kayfabe'd persona would want to be WWE/World Champion. That should be the end all be all for any wrestler at any given point, period.

So why did Cena choose to face Rock at WM 28? Were either guy champion? Why did Punk spend months pursuing Heyman? Why are Bryan and Punk spending their time on The Wyatt's? Why isn't "The Champ" doing everything in his power to get a match with Orton so he can have all the gold? What about every other personal feud in the WWE without a title implication over the last forty years?

If they want to do the unification match then they can either have the Rumble winner win one of the belts from winning the Rumble (not an idea I am a fan of, but infinitely better than using the Rumble win to challenge Taker), or have him win one belt at Elimination Chamber then pick to challenge for the other one. For instance Daniel Bryan wins the Rumble and chooses the World Heavyweight Championship still held by Cena, then he manages to win the WWE Championship along the way but decides he wants both belts so he uses his Rumble victory to obtain a unification match.

There is a way that the Rumble CAN effectively be used to build an Undertaker match. Have the guy who gets 2nd place in the Rumble challenge Taker. Let's say someone like Sheamus or Jericho is the last one eliminated by Bryan who won in my above scenario. If Sheamus/Jericho/whoever had a very strong showing in the Rumble but ultimately came up short, have them do a promo along the lines of admitting their loss but still demanding a Wrestlemania match, they want to make a big impact this year and do something they have never done, by ending the streak. Taker accepts, does a rest in peace promo, and you have your match. WITHOUT tarnishing the Rumble victory.

Professional wrestling has no business rewarding second place. Participation medals do not draw crowds.

I'm sorry, point to me where winning the Rumble always meant a shot at the WWE title or better yet how was it possible for the Rumble winner to get a shot at the WHC before it was even recognized as a WWE title? Can the Rumble winner still pick to face the WWECW champion?

I never said the Rumble's purpose since the creation of the event. A world title shot has been the prize ever since 1993. Not a single year has passed since then that the winner did not receive a world title shot. The winner received a shot at either of the two world titles upon the creation of the second world title. They cannot challenge for the ECW belt as it has been disbanded for years. Try actually reading my post next time, you clearly misunderstood what I said. The Rumble has never been for a Taker match and should never be. Why mess with tradition?

So a couple of props (no offense King Patrick - purchaser of everything gold replica) that gets passed around every couple of months or so and has been held by guys like The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, and Jack Swagger is more important than a "legendary achievement that surely will never be replicated in the WWE".

The belts are NOT props. If you subscribe to that theory, then you have lost all credibility. If the belts are just props then why is Hornswoggle not the WWE Champion? Exactly. It is reserved for the very best the federation has to offer.

Within kayfabe? Have you ever watched WWE? The best guy loses all the time, it's part of the story. Are you really saying that Orton is the "best in the federation"?

The WWE's storylines are entirely dependent on kayfabe. Then again, you think the belts are props, so I wouldn't expect you to know what you're talking about here. Randy Orton, within kayfabe, is the best in the WWE right now. Is he the legitimate best in the ring? No. Kayfabe is entirely different from legitimate abilities. The fans like him and he generates interest, so he is one of the best at that.

So why did Cena choose to face Rock at WM 28? Were either guy champion? Why did Punk spend months pursuing Heyman? Why are Bryan and Punk spending their time on The Wyatt's? Why isn't "The Champ" doing everything in his power to get a match with Orton so he can have all the gold? What about every other personal feud in the WWE without a title implication over the last forty years?

Those angles happen because not everyone can face a champion for a belt, otherwise every single show would just be a multi-man battle royal for the world title. The filler feuds provide the wrestlers with something to do in between title opportunities. Dream matches such as Cena VS Rock are a special exception. Within kayfabe, the world title should still be sought after as the top prize though.

Professional wrestling has no business rewarding second place. Participation medals do not draw crowds.

Tell that to Triple H in 2009. Randy Orton won the Royal Rumble by last eliminating Triple H, which earned him a WWE Championship match against.... Triple H. Orton lost the match. Clearly second place was rewarded here. It's not the only time second place has been rewarded in the federation. So, someone like Jericho coming 2nd in the Rumble and then challenging Taker would make sense.

The problem with this is Hogan of Today vs the streak, the caliber of matches Taker has had in the last 5 Wrestlemanias, going HBK HBK HHH HHH Punk even if this is Hogan its almost a squash match only because Hogan is so limited in his abilities it would probably be one of Takers worst match since his match with Giant Gonzalez at WM 9.

Would it be an awesome concept? absolutely if it was 2005 when Hogan could still go with guys the caliber of HBK, but the Hogan today can barely take 4 bumps, Hogan vs. anyone else at WM and be limited absolutely! Hogan vs. the Streak? Absolutely not! Let Hogan take on someone special and get them over, and let the Streak go on or die with the stars of the future...

Remember Hogan's match with Undie at Judgement Day... 11 years ago? Where Hogan couldn't even sell a chokeslam? One of the worst Undertaker matches of all time?

Hogan was still in his 40s when that match happened.

I rest my case.

I love Hogan. Always have. You'll never hear me say too many bad things about the guy. He's one of, if not the most recognizable figure in the history of Professional Wrestling. He draws many dimes, can hold a crowd, and the man is simply a God. So, what I'm about to say may come as a shock to some of you.

Hogan should not be facing the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Hulk Hogan, if he can do it, should be on the card at Wrestlemania. If he's willing and able to put his body through a 10-20 minute match, give the man the time. He deserves it. His last match (if he decides to call it quits) will draw huge. Also, even though a match with the Undertaker would in fact be the biggest match on the card, it shouldn't happen. I think a guy like Daniel Bryan or CM Punk would be best to put in a match with Hogan. There is no secret that Hogan is older, and would need an opponent to make him look good at his age. Punk or Bryan would be able to put on a match with Hogan worthy of a 3 1/2 - 4 star quality. Bryan and Punk REGULARLY make mid card type guys look like main eventers. A major star like Hogan doesn't need to have a spectacular match. He just needs to look credible when he's getting beat down and then when he makes his come back at the end of the match like in every other Hogan match ever. Daniel Bryan or CM Punk would make Hogan look 15-20 years younger in ring wise just because they are that great of in ring technicians. They would be careful when handling Hogan in the ring too. Bryan and Punk perfect their art, and how they handle Hogan in a 15-20 min match would be a key thing they'd plan out. It would almost be meticulous with when and where the elder Hogan would take his bumps to ensure he'd get through the match. Lastly, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk don't need to be put over by Hogan. They're both solidified main event stars in WWE, and a loss to a living legend like Hogan would not hurt them at all. After all, it's Hulkamania. It's the Immortal One. Him going over ANYONE would be believable. If Hogan decided to put over Bryan or Punk, it definitely wouldn't hurt them either. Punk and Bryan would not loss credibility either way.

If a Hogan vs Bryan/Punk match up is out of the questions, perhaps a tag team match with Hogan teaming up with another legend vs The Real Americans would be a good idea.

I guess my final thought here is that The Undertaker's streak match is one we all look forward to, and that spot should be given to a competitor that will be able to protect Undertaker, but be able to hang with him in the ring to create a story. My vote is for Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar this year. End of story.

I'm sorry but this an awful idea; in so many ways that have been explained above. Hogan has issues with his back and I doubt he can wrestle. He would be a bad choice to a) win the Royal Rumble and b) face The Undertaker at WM30.

I will, however, meet you halfway. If everything is sorted between Hogan, TNA and the WWE then I do think that Hogan should be in the 2014 Royal Rumble and should feature at WM30. For the RR, simply him coming in as a surprise entrant and eliminating one or two wrestlers could be a fantastic moment. Hogan would get a fantastic pop from the crowd and I think a lot of people want to see that. For WM30, a match is probably off limits but him being involved in an in-ring segment with 3MB or something has its value. Moreover, he deserves one last moment as long as Vince, not Hogan, decides what it is.

If Hogan is willing to be involved, he is too much of a big name not to use him. Just not in the way you described.

If he comes in late, then there's a great opportunity there. Imagine the heat that the guy who eliminates Hogan toward the end of the Rumble would receive. It would be an easy push and could set up a myriad of booking possibilities leading to Wrestlemania.

And this hasn't been merged into the Undertaker/WMXXX thread because???

I have lost interest in the Streak because Undertaker is too old. Quite frankly, the "Streak" has only been a big deal over the last few years. He happened to be undefeated at WrestleMania for a long time, and then it became Streak that had to be defended. And now he is too old for it to matter, in my opinion. Ok, here comes Undertaker to win after a bunch of false finishes...yep, he did it. Great!

It is the perfect time for him to lose it--with Cena turning heel to do it, which would get Hogan/3rd man kind of heat. It would also let him off the hook to later be in matches that can be entertaining, like Hogan/Undertaker, without the cloud of the overrated Streak looming over their heads. I mean if a young basketball team came out and beat the original Harlem Globetrotters, would they get huge credit? No! It would be a young team beating old men, like they are supposed to. We are entering that range with the Undertaker. Give someone a huge push by ending the Streak, blah blah blah. Who would get a massive push for this achievement?! Wow, did you see Ryback? He beat an old man in a predetermined-outcome match. REALLY!?!? Shoot him to the moon! Give me a break. The Streak was fun for HBK and HHH to tease us as beating it...but it's over now. Taker's place in history will NOT be effected at all by the Streak ending. It was a major part of his career that ended when he was old...no shame in that. And who cares if he wins as an old man anyway??

End the Streak, make Cena's heel turn legendary and free the Undertaker from this burden.

And this hasn't been merged into the Undertaker/WMXXX thread because???

I have lost interest in the Streak because Undertaker is too old. Quite frankly, the "Streak" has only been a big deal over the last few years. He happened to be undefeated at WrestleMania for a long time, and then it became Streak that had to be defended. And now he is too old for it to matter, in my opinion. Ok, here comes Undertaker to win after a bunch of false finishes...yep, he did it. Great!

It is the perfect time for him to lose it--with Cena turning heel to do it, which would get Hogan/3rd man kind of heat. It would also let him off the hook to later be in matches that can be entertaining, like Hogan/Undertaker, without the cloud of the overrated Streak looming over their heads. I mean if a young basketball team came out and beat the original Harlem Globetrotters, would they get huge credit? No! It would be a young team beating old men, like they are supposed to. We are entering that range with the Undertaker. Give someone a huge push by ending the Streak, blah blah blah. Who would get a massive push for this achievement?! Wow, did you see Ryback? He beat an old man in a predetermined-outcome match. REALLY!?!? Shoot him to the moon! Give me a break. The Streak was fun for HBK and HHH to tease us as beating it...but it's over now. Taker's place in history will NOT be effected at all by the Streak ending. It was a major part of his career that ended when he was old...no shame in that. And who cares if he wins as an old man anyway??

End the Streak, make Cena's heel turn legendary and free the Undertaker from this burden.
Can you please look at things from a business perspective and not your own opinion. WHY on earth would Vince McMahon ever turn his number 1 face in the company heel on the same night as he ended one of his most lucrative attractions? For absolutely no reason, you have suggested that Vince destroy quite possibly his two biggest money makers. Why are you talking as if what you say is fact? I love the streak, yes I know Taker is always going to win but he has stolen the show for the past five Wrestlemanias. You keep calling Taker old yet he has the best match every year at Mania so what does that tell you about the young talent? These young up and comers cant out wrestle an old man.

People Cena will not turn heel. The WWE has no competition, so there is no reason to take such a huge gamble/risk with the face of the company. This is not the attitude era. The AE had WCW and WWF fighting to stay in business, so management tried to do anything they could to get ratings. Hogan heel turn was a huge risk that was only done to try to steal ratings from the WWF and put them out of business. Like I said the WWE has NO COMPETITION, so why would you take this risk? This is not 1997-98 where the wrestling audience is split. The WWE has atleast 90% of the wrestling audience. They gain nothing by turning Cena heel. So you want to turn Cena heel so that the 10 people that watch TNA and the 5 people that watch ROH will start watching WWE? This doesnt make any sense.

I never said the Rumble's purpose since the creation of the event. A world title shot has been the prize ever since 1993. Not a single year has passed since then that the winner did not receive a world title shot. The winner received a shot at either of the two world titles upon the creation of the second world title. They cannot challenge for the ECW belt as it has been disbanded for years. Try actually reading my post next time, you clearly misunderstood what I said. The Rumble has never been for a Taker match and should never be. Why mess with tradition?

I read your post and understand it completely. You seem to think that tweaking something that you have known for 20 years that has actually been tweaked before (making the WHC and WWECW championships options).

And this is WWE, there are no traditions. There is no set format, no guarantees. Vince has had to adapt for years. It's those new ideas and swerves that keep people coming back. Otherwise everyone would just have one on one matches that can be won by pinfall. Go to any territorial promotion and ask them how sticking with how things are done is working out for them.

The belts are NOT props. If you subscribe to that theory, then you have lost all credibility. If the belts are just props then why is Hornswoggle not the WWE Champion? Exactly. It is reserved for the very best the federation has to offer.

Go tell that to the guy who wrote your next paragraph. The guy who says Randy Orton is not the best guy in the ring and only one of the most interesting characters.

The WWE's storylines are entirely dependent on kayfabe. Then again, you think the belts are props, so I wouldn't expect you to know what you're talking about here. Randy Orton, within kayfabe, is the best in the WWE right now. Is he the legitimate best in the ring? No. Kayfabe is entirely different from legitimate abilities. The fans like him and he generates interest, so he is one of the best at that.

I'm not entirely sure you have the same definition of kayfabe as I do.

Within kayfabe or not, Randy Orton is WWE Champion. It doesn't make him the best, it doesn't even make him the face of the company. He is just champion. He is not better than John Cena in any way shape or form that revolves around kayfabe or non-kayfabe. Orton holds the top title, are saying he is better than Cena?

Those angles happen because not everyone can face a champion for a belt, otherwise every single show would just be a multi-man battle royal for the world title. The filler feuds provide the wrestlers with something to do in between title opportunities. Dream matches such as Cena VS Rock are a special exception. Within kayfabe, the world title should still be sought after as the top prize though.

Special exceptions? What is The Streak? An exhibition? Within kayfabe, why did Punk spend months chasing around Heyman when there was a title he is certainly well qualified to pursue? Within kayfabe, why is DB chasing The Wyatt's when he certainly can lay claim to being qualified to hold the top title and getting screwed out of the top title? Within kayfabe, why isn't John Cena screaming to the world that as WHC and an umpteen time champion he shouldn't be given a match for the WWE title?

Why within kayfabe should any wrestler not see the opportunity of beating The Streak as something that is "legendary" (your word, not mine) and incredibly limited in the amount of time remaining? As opposed to the titles which don't seem to be going anywhere and get defended pretty frequently.

Tell that to Triple H in 2009. Randy Orton won the Royal Rumble by last eliminating Triple H, which earned him a WWE Championship match against.... Triple H. Orton lost the match. Clearly second place was rewarded here. It's not the only time second place has been rewarded in the federation. So, someone like Jericho coming 2nd in the Rumble and then challenging Taker would make sense.

Whoa, awarding someone for second place of the Rumble. That sounds like breaking tradition to me. How dare they change things up?

So I've read all 4 pages of this thread and I've come to the conclusion that I have to be *that* guy. The guy who actually wants to see this match, that is. In fact, a friend and I were just discussing how said match can and should be booked. I see it playing out as follows:

Step 1: Replay Royal Rumble 1991 (1992?) where Flair won the belt. Obviously, several components will have to be changed that would suite the storyline. The winner will still get the title shot at WrestleMania instead of winning the belt as Flair did. Also, Hogan will have to enter near the end of the Rumble - thereby heightening the suspension of disbelief that Hogan can (and should) be perceieved as a threat. This, too, can be conveyed in a storyline touting Hogan's vast array of accomplishments, including his two consecutive Rumble victories.

Let me take a quick detour from my fantasy booking to chatise you young whippersnapers for a moment. Those of you condeming the proposed match/angle based on a lack of - wait for it - realism, really ought to have your heads examined. I've got to believe that this is coming from the 20 and under club. In this theater of the absurd that is professional wrestling that we love so dearly, we're lead to believe that Hornswoggle could defeat both The Miz and Jamie Noble, a 5'8" Shawn Michaels can defeat a 7'0" 305 lbs. Kevin Nash, The Undertaker and Mark Henry, "The World's Strongest Man." I've said this countless times and I'll say it again - if you've tuned into wrestling because you want realism, you're barking up the wrong tree. That's what boxing, MMA and other combat sports are for. Actual wrestling is secondary to the storyline. Always has been, always will be. And for good reason. A very old, very wise, very successful man by the name of Jim Barnett once said "The angle is the dangle that heats the meat!" He could not be more spot on in his analysis. Yes, the culmination of the angle should be well executed, psychologically engaging (key term - write it down) "wrestling" match. That means you don't need a series of disjointed flippity flopping to convey your story to audience.

Hulk Hogan knows a thing or two about captivating an audience. And for those of you who may question the appeal of Hogan in a wrestling match to the lay fan, you need only look back a few years to Flair's send off at WrestleMania 24. When booked properly, nostalgia draws - and draws big.

Anyway, I digress. Back to fantasy booking:

In the Rumble match, have him enter at the 29 spot after the ring has been all but cleared, save for Punk, Del Rio, perhaps Ryback and maybe Sheamus. Hogan comes out to a thunderous ovation, and makes his way down the aisle. They mix it up with the Hulkster, who need not bump all that much to sell taking a beating. Then, it happens - the gong. Turns out The Undertaker, who announced his retirement after this 'Mania, set his sights on reconciling his Streak with going out as WWE/WHC. So, The Undertaker now takes aim at clearing an already sparsely populated ring. 'Taker eliminates Del Rio and Sheamus in short order, leaving Punk, Hogan and 'Taker. Have 'Taker eliminate Hogan - leaving a frustrated Hogan standing next to the ring, hand on his hips, looking dejected. Hogan could extend his hand to an onlooking Undetaker, leaving CM Punk, always the opportunist, to dump The Undertaker over the top rope. You've effectively set up an epic encounter between two iconic figures in "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker. You've also established CM Punk as you're #1 contender, which essentially assures you a phenomenal WWE/WHC match for WrestleMania (especially if it's against John Cena).

Step 2: The actual match itself at Mania is a a breeze to book. I envision it as a "No Holds Barred"-type of match. This eliminates the need for huge spots inside the ring. Hogan could easily take a ring post, get a little color and have the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands. The match will not be filled with big bumps or false finishes. In fact, I can only think of two times where I would employ a false finish. Towards the end of the match, as they're about to go home, 'Taker hits the Tombstone. He crosses Hogan's arms, sticks his tongue out as the ref counts 1-2 - and just as his hand nearly reaches the mat, Hogan miraculously pops up. To his knees at first, his eyes wide and chest billowing breathes from deep within his lungs, he makes his way to his feet as the 'Taker heaps on those MMA-style jabs, all to no avail. Hogan marches around the ring as 'Taker follows, hitting him in vain. Then, it comes - "YOU!" Hogan begins mounting an attack, stunning the big man, throwing him into the ropes for the Big Boot. Hogan, mustering every last ounce of the spirit of Hulkamania, bounces off the rope for the Atomic Leg Drop. Cover. 1 - 2 - shoulder up. The Undertaker, like so many times before, sits up to a seated position. Hogan, near tears, realizes the end is near. After a short back-and-forth, Hogan takes a second Tombstone and is pinned, essentially closing out the WrestleMania chapter of both he and Hulk Hogan's respective careers.

So, long story short, would I like to see it? I get goosebumps WRITING about it, so I could only imagine that unforgettable encounter actually playing out with two people who are the caliber of performers that The Undertaker and Hulk Hogan are.

You can hurl insults my way for being a nostalgia mark. And perhaps you're right. Maybe I am a mark for the era I grew up watching. But I'd like to think J.J Dillon had it right when he said in his book "Wrestlers are Like Seagulls" -

"The reason why people like Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan still wrestle is because no one has come along who can do it better than they can."

But hey, I can dream, can't I?

Looking at there history, Hogan has only beaten the Undertaker once and Taker has beaten Hogan twice, all times were for the respective WWF and Undisputed World Titles.

Hogan vs Taker on paper is epic but Hogan can't wrestle for shit anymore i don't care what Jimmy Hart sais the last few times Hogan did any physical activity in TNA he was just a walking frame short of looking like an Octagenerian.

Jimmy had one thing right, Hogan would be best served coming out posing, cutting a promo and signing autographs, not being in a 1 on 1 match that would only depress all the Hulkamaniacs how bad a shape he's in now.

as for your idea. that sounds just like how Ric Flair one the title back in 1991 Hogan got eliminated then extended his hand to Sid Justice and helped eliminate him, Seriously Taker needs to face someone relevant not someone who neither of them would benefit from competing against. what does Hogan get out of it? Win, yeah he gets money and??? What does Taker get out of it? He beat Hogan yet again for no reason, and if he loses thats a slap in the face to everyone considering the talent thats been in the Streak match the last 10 years.

I also don't want it to go down to Brock, Kane, Ryback or The Rock. something new maybe Daniel Bryan just so he can prove he's not a B+ player or something like that. Sting is the only old fogie that i could live with and only cause they've never faced each other in a WWE ring, Sting is another one that's well passed his used by date and hasn't been able to cut a decent promo in almost 2 decades.

I do not think it is a terrible idea just not a great one. Hogan should be back at WM as the host or in his retirement match in the WWE; I'd like to see Cena V Hogan. This year I would like to see Brock v Taker. Then at WM31 - Cena v Taker. WWE has to sell PPV buys and Taker V Hogan wouldn't sell because nobody would think a 60 year old Hogan could or should end the streak.

If Im going to pay to watch an old guy challenge the streak then it better be Sting.

That is all.

Is Hogan the biggest name in pro wrestling history? Probably. But when it comes to Wrestlemania quality matches...you better still be able to go. Hogan unfortunately cant...no way that match should ever happen.

I know I replied to this but my post is gone? Hmmm

Hogan has no business doing anything more than a cameo in a tag match.
Survivor Series was perfect but they're clearly not going there this year so sod it, the only way I want to see him at 30 is he can team with the Warrior and Sheamus against the Wyatts.. Sheamus can turn on him.. anything else is ridiculous.

Taker himself arguably shouldn't be at 30 in a wrestling capacity, it showed last year that he was at the limit. Asking him to carry Hogan who is legit screwed up with his back etc is just not fair. If Taker is smart he'll pick a guy, hopefully Barrett or Wyatt and lose to them end it at 21-1 which is a fair return and accept the HOF that is coming his way this year (no way Bearer goes in and he doesn't) and the honor he's the only HOF'er to wrestle at Mania when he got the honor... he loses, he makes someone... if he wins then the whole legacy means nothing cos Snuka, Jake, Bundy, Flair all jobbed for him...

Jackhammer, they were not really the most acclaimed matches, people are just amazed they were decent and being polite. Certainly with Punk and both Triple H matches were not that great really. But that he can do one B match a year is "best for business" and we all clap along like good little fans and marks. The proof is in the such selective opponents. In those 5 years he's faced 3 guys 2 of them twice to me that proves 21 wins is enough- 1 loss especially a controversial one that can make a young star of the future is a worthy sacrifice... not hopeful though.

End of the day, it's not about whether hogan can wrestle a match because taker would be able to carry him through. This match is a sure money Draw for the biggest night of the year. We've seen that wwe will bring in legends for wrestlemania because big attractions equals big money. I suppose it all depends on how many manias that taker has left? Because I reckon his last one will be against cena. But for me? I'd pay to see Taker vs Hogan.

In theory, yeah, it would be great. You think you might want to see that match, but you don't. A Hogan vs. Undertaker match in 2014 would go down as the worst match in the history of wrestling. Hogan cannot, CANNOT go anymore. The Undertaker can barely move and has to basically rest an entire year just to perform in one match. He can be carried, but he can't carry. I'm telling you, if you think it sounds like a good idea, you'll be in for a huge letdown.

So I've read all 4 pages of this thread and I've come to the conclusion that I have to be *that* guy. The guy who actually wants to see this match, that is. In fact, a friend and I were just discussing how said match can and should be booked. I see it playing out as follows:

Step 1: Replay Royal Rumble 1991 (1992?) where Flair won the belt. Obviously, several components will have to be changed that would suite the storyline. The winner will still get the title shot at WrestleMania instead of winning the belt as Flair did. Also, Hogan will have to enter near the end of the Rumble - thereby heightening the suspension of disbelief that Hogan can (and should) be perceieved as a threat. This, too, can be conveyed in a storyline touting Hogan's vast array of accomplishments, including his two consecutive Rumble victories.

Let me take a quick detour from my fantasy booking to chatise you young whippersnapers for a moment. Those of you condeming the proposed match/angle based on a lack of - wait for it - realism, really ought to have your heads examined. I've got to believe that this is coming from the 20 and under club. In this theater of the absurd that is professional wrestling that we love so dearly, we're lead to believe that Hornswoggle could defeat both The Miz and Jamie Noble, a 5'8" Shawn Michaels can defeat a 7'0" 305 lbs. Kevin Nash, The Undertaker and Mark Henry, "The World's Strongest Man." I've said this countless times and I'll say it again - if you've tuned into wrestling because you want realism, you're barking up the wrong tree. That's what boxing, MMA and other combat sports are for. Actual wrestling is secondary to the storyline. Always has been, always will be. And for good reason. A very old, very wise, very successful man by the name of Jim Barnett once said "The angle is the dangle that heats the meat!" He could not be more spot on in his analysis. Yes, the culmination of the angle should be well executed, psychologically engaging (key term - write it down) "wrestling" match. That means you don't need a series of disjointed flippity flopping to convey your story to audience.

Hulk Hogan knows a thing or two about captivating an audience. And for those of you who may question the appeal of Hogan in a wrestling match to the lay fan, you need only look back a few years to Flair's send off at WrestleMania 24. When booked properly, nostalgia draws - and draws big.

Anyway, I digress. Back to fantasy booking:

In the Rumble match, have him enter at the 29 spot after the ring has been all but cleared, save for Punk, Del Rio, perhaps Ryback and maybe Sheamus. Hogan comes out to a thunderous ovation, and makes his way down the aisle. They mix it up with the Hulkster, who need not bump all that much to sell taking a beating. Then, it happens - the gong. Turns out The Undertaker, who announced his retirement after this 'Mania, set his sights on reconciling his Streak with going out as WWE/WHC. So, The Undertaker now takes aim at clearing an already sparsely populated ring. 'Taker eliminates Del Rio and Sheamus in short order, leaving Punk, Hogan and 'Taker. Have 'Taker eliminate Hogan - leaving a frustrated Hogan standing next to the ring, hand on his hips, looking dejected. Hogan could extend his hand to an onlooking Undetaker, leaving CM Punk, always the opportunist, to dump The Undertaker over the top rope. You've effectively set up an epic encounter between two iconic figures in "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker. You've also established CM Punk as you're #1 contender, which essentially assures you a phenomenal WWE/WHC match for WrestleMania (especially if it's against John Cena).

Step 2: The actual match itself at Mania is a a breeze to book. I envision it as a "No Holds Barred"-type of match. This eliminates the need for huge spots inside the ring. Hogan could easily take a ring post, get a little color and have the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands. The match will not be filled with big bumps or false finishes. In fact, I can only think of two times where I would employ a false finish. Towards the end of the match, as they're about to go home, 'Taker hits the Tombstone. He crosses Hogan's arms, sticks his tongue out as the ref counts 1-2 - and just as his hand nearly reaches the mat, Hogan miraculously pops up. To his knees at first, his eyes wide and chest billowing breathes from deep within his lungs, he makes his way to his feet as the 'Taker heaps on those MMA-style jabs, all to no avail. Hogan marches around the ring as 'Taker follows, hitting him in vain. Then, it comes - "YOU!" Hogan begins mounting an attack, stunning the big man, throwing him into the ropes for the Big Boot. Hogan, mustering every last ounce of the spirit of Hulkamania, bounces off the rope for the Atomic Leg Drop. Cover. 1 - 2 - shoulder up. The Undertaker, like so many times before, sits up to a seated position. Hogan, near tears, realizes the end is near. After a short back-and-forth, Hogan takes a second Tombstone and is pinned, essentially closing out the WrestleMania chapter of both he and Hulk Hogan's respective careers.

So, long story short, would I like to see it? I get goosebumps WRITING about it, so I could only imagine that unforgettable encounter actually playing out with two people who are the caliber of performers that The Undertaker and Hulk Hogan are.

You can hurl insults my way for being a nostalgia mark. And perhaps you're right. Maybe I am a mark for the era I grew up watching. But I'd like to think J.J Dillon had it right when he said in his book "Wrestlers are Like Seagulls" -

"The reason why people like Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan still wrestle is because no one has come along who can do it better than they can."

But hey, I can dream, can't I?

Good for you, man! I like creativity. Don't be scared of these closed-minded Dagger Dias people (who is losing his battle with George Steele's Barber by a landslide) pissing on your ideas. I encourage more people like you to spit in the face of "common sense", especially when those who argue with you get their cues from what WWE wants them to like..puppets.

I like your idea. I like that there would be limited false finishes. I don't know if this is the best Taker option out there, but it shows real thought and creaitivity---not recycled arguments that muddy this forum's waters.

Bravo! Not your fault today's product sucks compared to what it used to be. If they want the past to stay in the past, make us care about the present.

Hear me out on this one. If the rumors are true, that Hogan will be involved at Wrestlemania XXX, how about having the Hulkster be a surprise entrant into the Rumble. Have him enter 25-30th, and win the Rumble. The following night on Raw, Hogan announces that he has done it ALL in the WWE, but there is one thing he hasn't done------ face the Undertaker at Wrestlemania! The WWE can go back through the history between the Hulkster and Taker, going back to 91 at Survivor Series, the Tuesday in Texas, etc. Heck maybe even bring Ric Flair in to lead Taker to the ring for old times sake.
The promos from Hogan would be classic. It would be interesting to see how the crowd responded to Hogan vs Taker. Who would they cheer? Just a curious thought heading into the holidays and the road to Mania XXX.

Ironic, isn't it? When you take the original post and add in all the others, it comes down to the one thing that's always been in professional wrestling since the 80's: Here we all are, talking about Hulk Hogan.

People love him, hate him.....or could care less. They are fans of pro wrestling, were fans.....or never gave a tinker's damn about it in the first place. They read that Hulk has left TNA and wonder if he'll come back to WWE, when he'll be back.....and what he'll be doing if/when he arrives.

Speculation rages: will he wrestle, will he talk, will he be a significant part of the storyline......or will he take a quick bow from the audience?

However you stack it, Hulk Hogan is still pro wrestling. Not as vital to today's product as he thinks he is (or pretends to be), but he's a legendary figure in the sport and probably will be until the day he departs for that great "In Your House" in the sky.

I enjoyed him back in the 80's and 90's, and barely tolerated him since. Still, here we all are again, talking about him and wondering what he'll be doing next.

Still the same.

I think Hogan vs The Undertaker's Streak at WMXXX would be reminiscent of Hogan vs Andre at WMIII

Irresistible Force vs Immovable Object

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back