Hogan vs Justice - Forgotten Classic?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The setting was Wrestlemania 8, the greatest Wrestlemania in history. Yes, my opinion alone. The double main event was captured mid-way through the night with Savage vs Flair for the WWF Title, but the 2nd half of the event was Hulk Hogan, complete with fresh retirement rumors, vs Sid Justice - a former Hogan friend who turned on the Hulkster out of spite and jealousy stemming from the Royal Rumble.

This was among my favorite Hogan matches. The two men worked so well together, and the build-up took it's time and made sense. Hogan had wars with big men before (Bad News Brown, Andre, Earthquake, Undertaker) but Justice was the total package in terms of size, power, speed, agility - and total insanity. Little known fact - in this match you find out that Gorilla Monsoon came up with the monacre "Psycho Sid," whichof course later became Justice's full persona.

[youtube]fVfdKgS3bxQ[/youtube]

After the promos were over and the time for beating up jobbers had passed, on of the greatest Hogan entrances of all time kicked off the match. Take note of how cool it is that Hogan's music keeps playing as he fends off Sid. This guy was so over, the atmosphere was amazing. Every other time an attack occurs before the match starts, the music cuts. Not this time, and the crowd nver stops going nuts.

[youtube]5-pq7EyXrE8&feature=related[/youtube]

And of course, the controversial leg drop kick out, late run in, and Warrior return...

[youtube]cp40R2UgHfA&feature=related[/youtube]

Hogan vs Justice from Wrestlemania 8 is one of professional wrestling's FORGOTTEN CLASSICS!

No offense but with the build up this had it was the worse wrestlemania main event in history. The match itself was awful and the finish was even worse. The papa shango thing is hillarious where he is trying to figure out after his missed run in whether or not he should still run down to ringside. This culminated the worse wrestlemania in my opinion there ever has been. From Michaels v. tito santana to Money Inc. v the Natural Disasters ending in countout, to the waste of not having the road warriors in a match and finally this, WM8 sucked

I think the build up was excellent, peerless even. Great in every way. The only thing that was missing going into the match was the belt around Sid's waste. There should have been no Rumble victory for Ric Flair. It should have been Sid's. Why it did not happen that way I do not know. Sure Hogan was going to shoot a film just after Mania. Big deal. They should have done an injury angle. The match ended in a D.Q. anyway so they could have had Hogan win, and Sid keep the title, have Savage win it a couple of days later.

But the end product is always the match. That was just awful. I watch it today and I enjoy it. But that is because Mania 8 is one of the only shows I can remember top to bottom. I recently watched every WWE PPV from the first Mania to the 2000 Rumble. It was about that time I decided that I actually really liked Sid, after years of thinking he was garbage. But I still think that this match isn't really worth anybodys time.

Wrestlemania 8 was one of the worst wrestlemania ever produce and it was cap off by one of the worst man event ever produce. Have these 2 wrestles a couple of time over the years in WCW and it was way better then this thing. Don't get me wrong, the build up going into this mess was excellent and made me want to see what could have been Hogan's last match. But then, nothing happen, the match when on and the magic wasn'T there and to make matter even worst, the ending was screw-up because they forgot to send PApa Shango down to the ring so they pretty much improvise until the guys was able to make it to the ring, which he finally did a couple of second after Sid kick out of the leg drop and the ending was such a mess after that that even the ultimate warrior couldn'T save it. So for me , i rather just forget about this match.

I think the only reason this match will be remembered is the messed up finally. But to not give the belt to either one of them going in was understandable in my opinion, it added more to the Ric Flair vs Macho Man Randy Savage match. Here is a question, who things the Flair vs Savage match should have gone on last over this match? Sure it was The immortal Hulk Hogan taking on Justice. Sure it was Hogans "last match". Sure it ws the return of the warrior. I just think that the main event, the last fight of the night, should have been the WWE Title match.
I don't think this match could be considered a "Forgot Classic." It was not a good match-up even for hogan. The build was average for a Wrestlemania main event build. The end was messed up, and confusing. The DQ did not make much sense. The Leg dropped was kicked out of, though wasn't recognized. The ultimate Warriors return didn't make it look necessary, as Psycho had left the ring. It was just a horrible main event all in all.

Im fairly torn on this one. Had excellent build, everything was right for it, up to the entrance of Sid. That Entrance is underrated in my opinion, as if you watch it, Sid truly just has an air about him that he is really going to KILL Hulkamania. And I love the beginning of the match, with Hulk whipping ass with Real American still playing. Fucking sweet. But after that, its pretty much downhill, and not just on the no flip no german suplex evaluation system, on the evaluation that everything was just rather disjontled and slow. I dont find it a classic, but its definately not BAD in my opinion.

I'm torn. It kind of reminds me of the Sting vs. Hogan matchup. Great build-up, great everything. Except for the match quality. Like NorCal said the match started off with a bang, but ended up not being really much of anything. I actually got bored halfway through. Not saying it didnt keep my attention but with all the hype surrounding it you would think it would deliver on all accounts. This match did not IMO. Decent match, but not a forgotten classic.

If I remember correctly, the ending was messed up but not for the reasons mentioned. Sid, prior to WM, failed a drug test. He knew he was going to be suspended or fired, so he kicked pot of the leg drop. Originaly hogan was supposed to win with a clean pin. When Sid kicked out that messed up Papa Shango, who was to make the run in after the match. Sid, of course, dissappeared from the wwf soon after.

In this regard it may be a forgotten classic, but match and wrestling wise it is not.

So because he knew he was gonna be fired or suspended because he failed a drug test he kicked out of the leg drop were he was suppose to let himself get pinned? So he was the one who really messed up the ending. Damn! Well he cam back later years in the wwe and won the title.

If I remember correctly, the ending was messed up but not for the reasons mentioned. Sid, prior to WM, failed a drug test. He knew he was going to be suspended or fired, so he kicked pot of the leg drop. Originaly hogan was supposed to win with a clean pin. When Sid kicked out that messed up Papa Shango, who was to make the run in after the match. Sid, of course, dissappeared from the wwf soon after.

In this regard it may be a forgotten classic, but match and wrestling wise it is not.

Wait a second, Wrestlemania 8 occured prior to 2006. Half the guys on the roster were probably whacked up on 'roids at the time, why would a main eventer like Sid Justice get axed for a failed drug test? I can't see this holding water at all.

Sid didn't leave WWF immediately following WM8, he left a month later. He left to return to WCW, until the Arn Anderson conflict.

Wait a second, Wrestlemania 8 occured prior to 2006. Half the guys on the roster were probably whacked up on 'roids at the time, why would a main eventer like Sid Justice get axed for a failed drug test? I can't see this holding water at all.

Sid didn't leave WWF immediately following WM8, he left a month later. He left to return to WCW, until the Arn Anderson conflict.

First, I am not saying I am right, just what I heard. No one ever said it was a test for roids. The wwf used to do random drug tests for other drugs like weed and coke. It was a random test that messed up Tully Blanchard at the end of 89. So, if Sid failed a test, but it was too late to replace him for WM, I could see him being allowed to wrestle one last match.

As for WCW; The problem here is that even if we allow for the month you say that would be May of 92 that he left/was fired. He did not return to WCW until early/mid 1993. Thats quite the layoff to get ready. If you ask me that does not hold water.

As I said I am just saying what I heard. I am not stating it as a proven fact and will gladly be corrected.

I actually liked WM8, purely for the fact that 2 of my all time favourite matches were on the card. Those being, Piper vs Bret and Savage vs Flair. 2 great, great matches. Plus the return of the Warrior is still my favourite wrestling memory ever.

Anyways, the build up to the Sid vs Hogan match up, starting back at and before the Rumble, was awesomely intense stuff. Sid came across as an animal, the intense, slightly unstable wrecking machine that could rip Hogan apart. It was great build up with a great character. At the time the match seemed fine to me; me only being approximately 10 when it happened. Granted, since then having watched it and the fuck-ups involved in it, it kinda loses some of its value. Still, for a gripping feud for a 10 year old it was intense stuff back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back