• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hogan says he wanted Sting in WWF after Wrestlemania III so he could turn heel.

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
Hulk Hogan recently did an interview with FSM Magazine. When asked about Sting, he said he tried to get Vince McMahon to sign him after WrestleMania III. Here are some highlights:

“I have unbelievable respect for Sting – he doesn’t realize how good he really is. Sting should have already had his New York (WWE) run. I’ll tell you something; when I got red-hot after WrestleMania III, I was begging Vince to get Sting in the WWF so I could turn heel at some point. He had the blonde hair, he was 10 times more athletic than me, and I believed this guy could have the same run as Hulkamania, but take it 10 times bigger. I was telling Vince (McMahon), ‘Let me get this guy over’, because after beating Andre, if they’d brought Sting in and had him beat me, it would have made him this tall (gestures with his hand above his head). But Sting wouldn’t come; we tried and tried, but he just would not jump. Vince even talked to him last year, but still Sting wouldn’t go.”

I believe hogan genuinely likes Sting, because unlike so many others I believe Sting to be one of the few that always have a lot of respect for other wrestlers especially older ones and ones that are ''bigger''. Sting has always been a dolphin in a sharks pool, he is just a good guy and I've to this day never ever heard anyone in the entire industry say a bad word about Sting. that should not be unnoticed.

Much respect for Sting, he knows where he is happy and doesn't just look at the dollar signs and such. Loyalty is (sadly) so hard to find these days, especially in sports. Probably why I was sad to see Chipper Jones retire, might be one of the last guys we see start and end his career with one pro team.....very small group.

This would be cool.....if it made any sense.

Sting was basically an opening act for a territory in Oklahoma at this point. Either Hogan is the greatest eye for talent in the history of ever and happened to have time to watch UWF tapes, or he's full of it again. Now if he had said Wrestlemania IV then he would be onto something but III? No.

Sure Hogan, I believe you. This was right after you slammed the 750 pound Andre, right? *cough*bullshit*cough*

Regardless of whether you believe Hogan or not, he is definitely right about how great Sting could have been. It still blows my mind to this day how WCW/NWA insisted on "paying dues", instead of seeing just how much Sting connected with fans and pushing the hell out of him.

Put Sting in the WWF, and Wrestlemania 6 is Hogan vs. Sting, not Hogan vs. Warrior.

The first clue is that Hogan wanted Sting to go over him, which negates the credibility of the whole article. He's just putting Sting over (while also promoting himself). Remember, this is the same Hogan who wants to be World Heavyweight Champ!

The first clue is that Hogan wanted Sting to go over him, which negates the credibility of the whole article. He's just putting Sting over (while also promoting himself). Remember, this is the same Hogan who wants to be World Heavyweight Champ!

I'm with you here. But I also agree with KB. I didn't know who the hell Sting was until mid to late '88, and all I knew then was WWF. Maybe Hogan meant to possibly wrestle him at WM V or VI.

I think it's funny how people act so surprised when a professional wrestler says something about pro wrestling which isn't completely true.

I think it's funny how people act so surprised when a professional wrestler says something about pro wrestling which isn't completely true.

For me it isn't surprise, just a running joke.

For all any of us know, Hogan could actually be telling the truth.

Lowdown said:
I didn't know who the hell Sting was until mid to late '88, and all I knew then was WWF.

I hope you know that you've literally been watching wrestling since before I was born, in '88.

Yeah he kind of blew it when he said Wrestlemania III, change that a year or 2 later and it makes a whole lot more sense. Oh well, 90% of shoot interviewers are full of shit or bitter so who cares.

Regardless Sting in WWE in the 80's would have done GREAT business. Chances are Sting would be in Warriors spot and would have caused the WWE a hell of a lot less headaches as a result.

Oh, so that's why Sting did so well when Hogan came to WCW...

:lmao:
I assume you're referring to 1997, where Sting was the biggest superstar in the business, despite not wrestling a single match?

...come to think of it, wasn't 1997 EXACTLY what Hogan said in this interview he wanted to do?

Yeah, Hogan did a great job with Sting at Starrcade 97 :rolleyes:

Different circumstances. Sting was not in any shape to carry WCW. It was still a boneheaded booking decision, but Sting should take a lot of the blame for that as well.

I know Austin didn't really take off til later. For me 97 was all about the Hart Foundation v DX.

How was Sting not in any shape to carry WCW? What did he do wrong there?

He came into Starrcade overweight and out of shape. He was in bad condition due to his addiction to painkillers/muscle relaxers and alcohol. This was mentioned in Bischoff's book and Sting himself has admitted his problems.

SCOTT ROSS (reporting): Then in 1988, Sue’s faith in Steve paid off. Steve had changed his name to Sting. In his first big match, Sting wrestled Rick Flair live on television. He became popular on the world championship wrestling circuit, but his career shot through the roof in 1997 when Sting wrestled Hulk Hogan on Pay-Per-View. Although things were great for them financially, Steve’s constant traveling put a strain on the marriage.

STEVE BORDEN: I had made it to the top, but now my marriage was really starting to fail. Sue and I were like two ships passing in the night. She had a life, I had a life. But now we had two boys, two young boys. I was losing control over every part of my life.

SCOTT ROSS (reporting): Steve coped with his struggles by turning to pills and alcohol.

STEVE BORDEN: I told her I was taking prescription drugs. I was taking pain killers, I was taking muscle relaxers, and I was drinking alcohol. She said, 'How long you been doing this?' And I told her, 'It’s been a couple of years now.'

SUE BORDEN: I thought that he should go into rehab, and he just vehemently said, 'No, no. I don’t need that. I don’t need to go into rehab.'

STEVE BORDEN: I begged and pleaded with her. I said, 'Look. I’ll stop. I’ll stop.' And I couldn’t do it. About 30 days went by, and things really started to go downhill.

SUE BORDEN: I thought, I don’t know what else to do. He won’t go to rehab. He’s not stopping. I can’t live like this.

SCOTT ROSS (reporting): Steve was desperate for a change. For years his brother had been telling him about God’s love for him. Steve finally decided it was time to listen. One August evening in 1998, he gave up running and turned to God for help.

STEVE BORDEN: I said, 'I cannot do this on my own. I need You to come save my life, save my marriage, because it’s out of control.' And I invited Him to come and live in me. I told Him, 'I’m going to live my life for You from this day forward.'
http://www.cbn.com/700club/features/sports_steve_borden.aspx

That's not exactly the kind of guy which gives you full confidence to throw everything on.
I hadn't heard of Sting in 97 so yes.

Sting > Steve Austin in '97

While Steve Austin was certainly hot in '97, he didn't really hit his full stride until '98 after winning the title.

Sting was unquestionably the biggest draw stateside in 1997. Hell, there's certainly an argument for Luger being a bigger star here stateside in 97. Hogan certainly was as well.

Austin caught fire in 97, but the neck injury basically made him a non factor from August until January.

He came into Starrcade overweight and out of shape. He was in bad condition due to his addiction to painkillers/muscle relaxers and alcohol. This was mentioned in Bischoff's book and Sting himself has admitted his problems.
I thought his substance abuse problems were well known within wrestling. He has a lot of parallels with Shawn Michaels. A lot of wrestlers had those issues, didn't stop some of them, depending on the severity of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back