• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Greatest Superstar To Have Never Held a WWE Singles Title?

I also think Vader could've been the perfect monster heel champion. He had already proven his worth all over the world (and in WCW). HBK is one of my all-time favorites, but I think a lot of the blame rides on his shoulders for this one.

I have to go with Jake the Snake Roberts. I not saying the other mentioned wouldnt of deserved the title as well. It was the first name that popped when I read this. I mean he just had the IT factor. He could cut a promo, his wrestling skills were good. His character was great, one of a kind. Kinda like the Undertaker. All his feuds were entertaining. Him and Savage was epic. His mind for wrestling was unbelievable. Again I dont disagree with the other names such as Dusty, Dibiase and even JYD and Bigalow. Also there were people deserved to of went futher then what they did. I think Piper, Rude, and Perfect all should of won the WWE/F championship. Shame it wasnt passed around like it is now.

I personally think it's bullshit that Andre only ever earned the world title once after a fluke win and promptly lost it leaving fans of his shit on. A title means nothing if it was won by a fluke and didn't stay on you for more than ten minutes. I'm breaking the rules by bringing up someone who has on their record a championship reign, but Andre deserved better.

Bundy or John Studd could have sold tickets with a belt, the Hogan era kept a lot of people down.

When you keep in mind that the Intercontinental title didn't exist until 1979 and singles title reigns were often measured in years, there are plenty of guys who worked under Vince McMahon Sr. you could put on the list like Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorilla Monsoon, Tony Garea, Mr. Fuji, Blackjack Mulligan and so on.

If you start from the WrestleMania era, there are guys like Ted DiBiase, King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, Paul Orndorff, Jake Roberts, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Rick Martel, the Junkyard Dog, Ludvig Borga and so on.

Then there are guys who were in the WWF, but did their best work for another company (JCP/WCW, AWA, ECW, Japan, other, ...) like Lex Luger, Barry Windham, Dusty Rhodes, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, Stan Hansen, Steve Williams, ...

During the Monday Night Wars, the WWF had a lot of titles flying around - WWF World Champ, Intercontinental, European, Hardcore and Light Heavyweight. There were enough titles for everyone to get to be a champion at least once. Even Albert is a former I-C champ.

Nowadays, unless a guy is very new to WWE or has spent his entire career in TNA, ROH, Japan or somewhere else, he's probably worn a singles title belt at some point in his career.

Reactions: TLK
I am gonna have to throw Arn Anderson's name out there, he coulda been a I.C. champ for sure, i was surprised that he wasnt, but i guess he didnt spend that long in the WWE or else he woulda had one.

If Andre the Giant counts I think it would hands down be him. "Undefeated" for 15 years is unreal, and you think he would have been rewarded with a title. if not him then The Million Dollar Man. he was the best heel of his time, and was always near the main event. if Hogan would not have been the champ then I bet Ted would have gotten a title run. I am surprised he wasn't at least given an IC title shot. Great in the ring great on the mic. If not Andre then hands down The Million Dollar Man.

The thread is superstar, so Im assuming we want main eventers and not guys who were in WWE for short periods.

TED DIBIASE: The most obvious answer, had a 6 year run, was a main event player for the majority of this time. Should have won the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 4, but history shows this did not happen.

PAUL ORNDORFF: Hulk Hogans greatest threat during 1986-1987, his neck and nerve injury is the only thing I feel held him back from at least an IC Title run after turning face again in late 1987 when he returned from injury.

JAKE ROBERTS: If he had more time as a heel, he could have had a run as IC Champ also, but turning face in early 1987 in the Hogan era did not help his title aspirations.

Nobody else matches these three, Andre is offically a WWE Champion, so his name does not enter into the argument.

May I throw another name I haven't seen into the mix?
Unless we are counting the WCW Light Heavyweight Title...
My pick is Brian Pillman.
Reasoning:
1.) GOLD on the mic.
2.) Great in-ring worker
3.) Had a 5-star match in 1991 (Pillman, Sting, and Steiner Bros. vs. Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, Barry Windham, and Larry Zybyszko)
4.) Was a great tag team worker, my favs with Bruce Hart and with Steve Austin (Hollywood Blonds anyone?)
5.) Stampede Wrestling Hall-of-Famer
There is more, but for the sake of this, I'll stop.
It's too bad he had to pass... I saw a world title in his future, or at least IC.
RIP Brian Pillman :(

Sadly, Pillman was a shadow of what he was by the time he made it to WWE... The car wreck destroyed his foot and he was pretty much used as a mouthpiece and only wrestled sporadically... Had he gone in right after the "Booker Man" match and fit, then yes... he's your winner. It still pisses me off he is not acknowledged as the creator of Attitude and in the HOF.

I am seeing a lot of DiBiase in here... his Million $ belt is no different than the Hardcore title was when given to Mick Foley or the WHC given to Triple H (it is not the same NWA title lineage). It was defended in sanctioned WWE matches so he did have a title (and thats without the North American).

Andre's title win is acknowledged, so end of argument on that one.

Gangrel is interesting, but again he's another guy who would have lost something with a belt. The entrance and blood spitting was perfect as it was, if he had to mess with a belt as well it would have ruined the illusion.

if i had to pick anybody it would be jake the snake. this guy should have been world champion in wwe multiple time's in my opinion. the guy was a fantastic in ring performer. i can't recall i single bad match he had in the wwe. come on vince put him in the hall of fame

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back