General Tournament Banter

Bar none my ass. He was a very poor mans Ted Dibiase.

JBL played his character to a T better than most in the WWE at the time. He didn't need anybody associated with him to sponge heat off of (Edge, HHH). He always found a way to keep his title which is the definition of a true heel and he was great on the mic. Even though he was in too many gimmick matches for my liking but he had one of the top five title reigns in the past decade.

Yeah I said it.

I'm going to be voting this year specifically to the two biggest draws of the wrestling world not names Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin. Picking those two gives me no challenge; I'm going with the men that revolutionized the business in Andre the Giant, and the greatest NWA Champion of all time, Harley Race.

Race last year got so close, losing to eventual champion Bret Hart by some bullshit matter in a Dumpster match. Matches where the person has to stuff the other person in something are the play thing of heels: That should have been Harley's match. He won't go down without a fight, and is basically Triple H, except with better promo skills, better working skills, more experience, better title reigns, and better drawing skills. So, in a word; better.

Andre, on the other hand, was undefeated fifteen years. Widely known as the most respected man in the business, and really started to make pro wrestling a national name, long before Hogan. These two get eliminated, over my dead body.

Oh the goosebumps are returning. The spirit of posting is coming back to me. Feels like tournament time is almost upon us, once again.

The following will be my list of Wrestlers to back.. and hopefuls that are in.

1. Edge (Hey, I got him to the finals once, didn't I?)
2. Bret Hart (Could he become the first back-to-back WZT Champion?)
3. Ultimate Warrior (or as I like to call him, the "If you want to push Hogan, Taker and Austin for their characters.. I'm picking one that is just as unstoppable, as well" selection.)
4. (hopeful) Drew McIntyre
5. Randy Savage/Shawn Michaels (I'm kinda iffy on HBK though, because I think he'll have enough of the "he retired, I feel bad" votes)

Some early predictions I have are a huge push for Shawn Michaels. But I know for ever fan of the guy, there is an enemy. I see him gonig pretty far, but once he meets up with a challenge (could happen in any round as its random) he can be out.

Bret Hart could get a lot of heat for his poor performance this year, and being the champion of the tourny. Dont see him getting far. But I know there are a lot of Canadians in this so that is good. Just a sneak, I know Owen, Bret, Stu Hart, Jericho and Benoit, Edge, Christian, and potentially Steve Corino. There could be more, I just cant remember. Oh, think Storm is in it. Maybe a lass.

I want Antonino to do well. Don't think he will but I will leave on this note. If he loses to Matt Hardy, I will be upset. For a guy who wrestled 50 years ago, he was a better high flyer, and a fucking machine powerhouse all in one.

I'm like an excited schoolgirl with the tourney coming around this year, hope this could get me back to posting regularly though I have my doubts about that.

Since nobody cares about myself, I'm pushing for wrestling's gold medalist Kurt Angle. One of the greatest all-round wrestlers who more than satisfied both sides of professional wrestling (the in-ring capabilities and the entertainment factor). The man owns proof that he is one of the best in the world with his Olympic gold.

Otherwise, whoever deserves the vote the most.

I think someone international is going to go far this year. If Canek finds himself in Mexico/Japan, then there should be little stopping him, ditto if Santo finds himself in Mexico or Giant Baba in Japan. Last year Jushin Liger beat Shawn Michaels in Texas though, so anything could happen.

And with only four locations, it should be noted that wrestlers that are well traveled will get a potential push. People like Benoit, Bret Hart, Eddie Guerrero competed in Central America, USA, and Japan. That has to give them an advantage over say a Batista who has spent most of his time in USA.

Looking forward to the tournament. I'll be pulling for:
Million $ Man Ted DiBiase
Randy Savage
Bret Hart
Eddie Guerrero
Kurt Angle
Shawn Michaels
Vader
Chris Jericho.
By the way, is Benoit in the tournament?

Loved reading this last time. I'm gonna go for The Rock because he never gets enough credit on the internet where people hate him because they feel "betrayed" or because they're trying to look knowledgeable by pointing out all 10000 ways in which some jobber like William Regal is a better pro-wrestler. Also may try push Goldberg purely because it would piss people of :p

I don't know if its supposed to be a secret who's in, so I won't give it away. We're not the WWE though, so whether Benoit's in or not is related to his wrestling and not his murdering career.

I don't know if its supposed to be a secret who's in, so I won't give it away. We're not the WWE though, so whether Benoit's in or not is related to his wrestling and not his murdering career.

Nicely done Tasty. It's all wrestling orientated so that's ability and career then?

I'm trying to get Awesome into this thing then pushing him far. He's one of my favorite wrestlers and I have confidence in him. He can do it. Vote Awesome, Be Awesome.

Nicely done Tasty. It's all wrestling orientated so that's ability and career then?

The top 90 are in based on contribution to the industry. The next 34 are in based on Staff (And Shocky)'s own choices, but the lion's share of them were a big deal in the time they were from. The 12 being voted on are the top three in respective groups to make an impact on the business. E.g. the bracket with Sandman etc. is modern indies. You can vote based on any reason you want when the tournament comes around, and believe me, you will see some bullshit ones.

Yeah the top 90 are the people that are going to be in any sensible person's list. I mean do we need a two hour argument over Shawn or Hogan being in this?

Can I PM for votes? :p I'm joking :). I'll be backing Shawn throughout, as usual. When people have just left they seem to gain extra fans, so maybe he can win again this year. Although then there'll be people saying he's only winning a certain match because he just retired, so it works both ways.

Can I PM for votes? :p I'm joking :). I'll be backing Shawn throughout, as usual. When people have just left they seem to gain extra fans, so maybe he can win again this year. Although then there'll be people saying he's only winning a certain match because he just retired, so it works both ways.

Didn't do much for Flair so I don't see how it's going to do much for Michaels since he will get stronger opponents in the earlier rounds.

I still wanted to see Lesnar face Michaels last year. Hopefully it will happen this year if Brock is in it.

He did if I remember correctly. In fact I got positive rep out of it from a certain HBK fan.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=35994

Jushin Liger faced Shawn Michaels and beat him by 1 vote for the right to face Lesnar. So we got Liger/Lesnar instead of HBK/Lesnar which would have been interesting.

If guys like Jericho and Orton can get through the gimmick rounds, then watch out. It could get very interesting very fast.

Didn't do much for Flair so I don't see how it's going to do much for Michaels since he will get stronger opponents in the earlier rounds.

I still wanted to see Lesnar face Michaels last year. Hopefully it will happen this year if Brock is in it.

Yeah but Flair has been bad for years and years now, his following hasn't ever been very strong on the forum. As opposed to Shawn, who is still great, has actually won this tournament before, and has quite a few fans on the forum.

Flair hadn't retired by the time he went out in 2008, losing to Vader in a Clockwork Orange House of Fun match. By the time 2009 came around, he'd been gone almost a year and went out in a sadistic madness match to Bam Bam Bigelow. Flair really isn't a benchmark, and Michaels is an early favourite.

Is there a list of past winners?

I'm liking the format. Looks like its going to be very tough. Possibly having Sting vs. Undertaker in the 1st round? That will be a bloodbath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back