Five Wrestlers Everybody Knows

Its more because Cena is a current star and we are all on the inside looking out for wrestling names anyway. I could make a giant list and most people that post in the thread would at least of heard of them if not watched a match of theirs at one stage or another.

So you can only really name 4 and be close to being right, Andre, Hogan, Stone Cold and The Rock. All joined the mainstream pop culture. Hogan with Rock and Wrestling, Andre through his Size and his acting in The Princess Bride, Stone Cold with being the Attitude Era mascot, and the Rock with his movies, everyone else is a bit com si com sa in terms of mainstream knowledge.

1. Hulk Hogan
2. The Rock
3. Stone Cold Steve Austin
4. Andre The Giant
5. Vince McMahon

How did nobody include the Owner? Everybody knows Vince, hes been one of the biggest characters for the past decade, he was the main villian when Austin, Rock and Undertaker were being made pop culture figures and he was right along side them. Vince owned his own football league, he was brought to court by the US Government and hes been in more scandals within the WWE than anybody else.

I'd say Vince McMahon himself, although not a regular wrestler, is one of the more known names.

Personally, I do not think that there are 5 wrestlers that most people could identify. They might recognise a picture of Hogan orthe Rock and at a stretch maybe Stone Cold or the Undertaker but with the last two in particular I get the feeling that it would be more likely that they would recognise them only after you tell them their names.

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Andre the Giant
3. Dwayne Johnson (that's what he goes by now)
4. John Cena
5. Brock Lesnar (really? biggest UFC draw possibly ever)

I do not think Andre makes this list anymore. Too many young people would likely have no idea who he was. The idea that Taker would be known by people that have never watched wrestling is amusing.

Hogan, Rock, Brock, Vince McMahon and Flair.

There are some names that simply shouldn't be named, like Ric Flair. Sure he's probably the biggest name in the wrestling comunity itself, but outside that, he's a nobody.

And if you name Steve Austin, anyone over the age of 30, that hasn't watched wrestling is going to think of Steve Austin The Six Million Dollar Man if they've heard the name at all.

Bret Hart people probably won't know, but if you say The Hitman Bret Hart people are more likely to associate him with the guy that is the namesake of NHL team The Calgary Hitmen.

Shawn Michaels is another guy no one knows.

The Undertaker is another one very few people know outside the wrestling world.

However there are names out there that people are likely to know, like Mike "The Miz" Mizanin for all his reality shows, and talk shows, and game show appearances and commercials he's made.

Especially among senior citizens people know Stacy Keibler as one of the best dancers ever on dancing with the stars, and in that same vein people know Chris Jericho.

To be honest, I don't think you can get more well known than Jesse Ventura, Hogan & Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson are probably the only two that could give him a run for most well known wrestler of all time.

Gorgeous George is also a great answer as he's the guy who inspired Muhammed Ali to be the character he was.

Bill Goldberg is surprisingly well known as well. I mean, he's hosted a number of meh tv shows, and played for the Atlanta Falcons, and was in a couple of movies... but IMO his level of celebrity far outpaces his exposure. And I certainly don't think it's because of his wrestling career. Maybe his car shows are more widely watched than I would have expected.

John Cena is a media powerhouse in the making. He's still getting bigger, and by the time he's done he may just rival Hogan & The Rock (though I have my doubts). People know John Cena from countless appearances from guest hosting TMZ, to interviews on latenight and morning talk shows, and as a presenter on award ceremonies. Oh and he's done movies too. :p

I do not think Andre makes this list anymore. Too many young people would likely have no idea who he was. The idea that Taker would be known by people that have never watched wrestling is amusing.

The Princess Bride is a classic. Andre was immortalized because of this movie. This movie is what got my 6 year old son to ask to watch older wrestling matches rather than just John Cena.

And thanks for bringing up Vince. A lot of people know of Vince McMahon like they know of Ted Turner & Donald Trump.

Hulk Hogan, Andre, Steve Austin, The Rock, Randy Savage

The thing about Austin though is that even though he was never big outside of wrestling, it was a big part of pop culture which means that there's a good shot of him still being remembered. Like this guy:

30ubcc8.jpg

The Princess Bride is a classic. Andre was immortalized because of this movie. This movie is what got my 6 year old son to ask to watch older wrestling matches rather than just John Cena.

Since when do youth like classics? His name in the movie isn't Andre the Giant. I disagree that Gorgeous George has any reason to be on this list. Goldberg, Keibler, maybe Miz. Sure.

Since when do youth like classics? His name in the movie isn't Andre the Giant. I disagree that Gorgeous George has any reason to be on this list. Goldberg, Keibler, maybe Miz. Sure.

Since when are we talking about youth? There's more senior citizens out there than any demographic there is today. Besides that kids watch movies too. Every kid gets the whole "You mean you've never seen *fill in the blank*!? You HAVE to see it!" The Princess Bride is certainly one of those movies...

In the British Isles I would say:

British wrestlers Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks (Loch Ness in WCW); then Hulk Hogan, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Andre the Giant. Possibly Cyndi Lauper, her wrestling past is pretty universally known.

Benoit might be infamous to those of us who love the squared circle but to the average person, he's likely remembered just as "That wrestler who murdered his family and then killed himself - steroids wasn't it?". In the rest of the world Kiebler, Miz, Ventura etc aren't overly well known because their outside interests are pretty much US only covered. Lesnar might be massive in MMA but that doesn't make him generally well known and there is a pretty substantial MMA / wrestling overlap.

Yeah that's true there's the international hero's like The Great Khali in India, Justin Gabriel (apparently) in South Africa, and any of the Anoa'i family in Samoa. I guess it just depends on what your definition of 'everybody' is.

Yeah that's true there's the international hero's like The Great Khali in India, Justin Gabriel (apparently) in South Africa, and any of the Anoa'i family in Samoa. I guess it just depends on what your definition of 'everybody' is.

Up until the 90's the vast majority of the UK only had four stations and only 3 at the start of the 80's. A staple of Saturday afternoons was World of Sport wrestling and their two biggest stars were the heroic Big Daddy and the fearsome Giant Haystacks. It was also an early proving ground for both the British Bulldogs, Fit Finlay and Steve Regal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back