First Round: Vancouver - Bob Backlund vs. AJ Styles

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Bob Backlund

• AJ Styles

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Vanouver Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

bc-place.jpg

Bob Backlund

Boblowres-1.jpg

Vs.

AJ Styles

aj-styles.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Bob Backlund is gonna carry this one away pretty firmly, despite his rather "bland" character so to say, we can't deny this guy's wrestling ability, while it's probably to be considered out dated now compared to back then, he's pretty pure, has a legitimate submission hold as a finisher, and while he probably couldn't out wrestle AJ, I still think from a impact standpoint that Bob has done far.. FAR more in this business than AJ has.

Bob Backlund held the WWWF championship for a little over 7 years I believe (2138 days) something AJ is never gonna accomplish with the TNA or any other title.
Bob in his prime, the impact he had on this business, and ultimately the legacy this guy left behind (while it might not be considered incredible worthwhile mentioning, he has done stuff around this world that you can't discard) would go over AJ pretty firmly.

And that's why I'm voting for Bob rather than Styles.

I'm going with Styles. I know that Bob Backlund held the WWF championship for several years, but he held it at a time when the business was changing. He was a throwback to the classic mat wrestlers of the early 70's. He fit the mold that Vince Sr. wanted in a wrestler. I get it, I respect it, but as soon as Vince Jr. took over, Bob Backlund was an afterthought in that company.

AJ Styles while competing in a smaller company, has managed to become the guy in said company. When you think of TNA, it's AJ Styles that should be the first guy that comes into your mind. I watch this guy, and he wows me every time I watch him in the ring. I just rewatched his lockdown match from 2005 with Abyss, and his ability to use his body in multiple different ways is awesome.

AJ has enough mat skills to hang in with Backlund, but enough of an unorthodox offense to throw him off. AJ for the Win.

I had to go with AJ here. Definetly one of my favorite wrestlers at the moment. He's simply superb in the ring. Ingnoring the current and somewhat underwhelming heel run, and you have one of the best in the business today. He was one fire towards the end of laugh year in basically every match.

Add in some of his crazy X Division and Tag stuff from a few years ago, and you got a pretty solid choice there. Obviously it's hard to compare him to Backlund, given the era, but I'm pretty sure AJ means more to TNA today than Backlund did back then, and he certainly means more to me as well.

I'm going with AJ styles, I have a lot of respect for Bob for being a multi-time WWF champion, But AJ is one of my favorite TNA wrestler. AJ helped out and he is still helping out TNA. He has been the face of TNA since TNA was created. He is mainly a triple crown champion in TNA not including the Legends title. AJ Styles has grown a lot since TNA was born and I;m sure that he will continue to grow as time passes by. AJ Styles goes for the win in this match.

Many on this forum don't have proper respect for the wrestlers of years past. Backlund would ground AJ's ass and dominate him, before submitting him. Backlund is truly an all-time great, both kayfabe and in real life. He's a bonafide bad ass who could shoot with anyone, and is one of the few guys people talk about as being able to be very successful in MMA if it had been around/profitable in his day. Kayfabe, the man lost about as frequently as solar eclipses, meanwhile AJ loses about as often as I have bowel movements. No disrespect to Aj, a nice little wrestler and quality guy, but he isn't even close to being on Backlund's level

Backlund could have been so much more with some style. He reminded me of ... not really sure, sort of a robot who was great at chain wrestling. Regal at least is funny. Backlund, despite his long title victory and defeating Bret Hart, and all that is one of the more poor drawing people in wrestling. Backlund caused people to turn away from WWE, while at the same time, AJ Sytles, stuck in the B Show is a household name in wrestling. That counts for something including a vote from me.

The AJ Styles of today has completely surpassed the type of wrestler that Bob Backlund was when he was WWF champion. AJ has proven himself to be a force to be reckoned with against the likes of the best that TNA had to offer him up until this point. And defeating names like Kurt Angle, Scott Steiner and Mick Foley completely convince me that he could easily go over even a PRIMED Bob Backlund.

I'm giving AJ my vote.

AJ more than deserves the vote here. Backlund was good but no more than a wrestling machine. He is a poor mans' Kurt Angle and Angle has been beaten by AJ plenty of times in a variety of matches.

The obvious vote is for AJ here.

I'm a big fan of Styles, but I have never been convinced that he would have been a big deal had he not been able to grow with TNA's gradually improving roster. Thrown in at the deep end, he may have floundered. Not that we should holdt that against the guy, but in all honesty, Backlund doesn't get the respect he deserves. He held the World Title for a lot longer than most, and was quite over when he returned in the early 90s. Backund probably would win, but I won't mind if Styles does.

A few months ago I wouldve went with backlund but with flair in his corner I gotta give the edge to aj. Both are excellent wrestlers but flair no doubt helps aj out with a low blow while the refs back is turned and styles hits the clash for the victory

Kayfabe wise, I guess this would be pretty close, but I still think that Backlund keeps AJ grounded w/ his wrestling ability, not letting him get too much of anything started in the way of offense. AJ probably wouldn't tap, so an inside crade catches Styles by surprise for the 1-2-3. Legitimately, Bob Backlund was one of the single most dangerous guys ever to set foot inside of a wrestling ring. I can see how AJ would go over here, because Bob had about as much color as vanilla ice cream, but I couldn't vote against him here,because this was a guy that was as strong and as tough as they come. Kayfabe wise though this matchup is made real close, but Bob sqeaks one out. You don't have to like him or his style, but respect Backlund for the great athlete he actually was.

How can anyone vote against A.J. Styles when he's wearing a shirt like that? Hell, even Backlund seems impressed that he can wear that shirt. :lmao:

Now then, in all seriousness. This is a match-up that is simply put not possible for reality. Backlund wrestled in a time when doing what Styles is best known for, was merely not possible. Backlund will school Styles in everything technical, and if he can grab ahold of a body part - he'll make it hurt. But Styles is too quick, sudden, and impactful for Backlund to keep up with.

I won't say its impossible, and I do recall an aged - well beyond his prime - Backlund, schooling the X-Division's Sabin and Shelley. But Styles is above both of those guys, and again I simply don't think Backlund - even in his prime - could handle the speed and high flying, fast hitting ability Styles brings to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back